Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 05:21:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elden Ring (FromSoftware) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elden Ring (FromSoftware)  (Read 35980 times)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #140 on: March 24, 2022, 04:10:38 PM

Yeah, the delayed spells are insanely OP. Rock Sling hard countered almost all of the NPC invaders and humanoid evergaol bosses for me by itself (the only exceptions were the white mask assassins since the cast time is a bit too long and they close distance too fast, but that's why Adula's Moonblade exists), and

I haven't done many attempts, but I think I'll try that cheese strat. That boss is brutal. I'm trying to use Moonveil just because she closes too fast and my spells don't hit hard enough to outpace her life steal. Sorcery in general is a bit disappointing once you get the point where mobs and bosses start having giga-HP. At that point, you just hope they give you an opening for Comet Azur and don't have phases. Although it is nice to just kamehameha those tree bosses.

-Rasix
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: March 24, 2022, 05:56:03 PM

I'm really thinking I chose hard mode by going all melee, but whatever. It's fun.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: March 25, 2022, 12:02:04 AM

Yeah, the delayed spells are insanely OP. Rock Sling hard countered almost all of the NPC invaders and humanoid evergaol bosses for me by itself (the only exceptions were the white mask assassins since the cast time is a bit too long and they close distance too fast, but that's why Adula's Moonblade exists), and

I haven't done many attempts, but I think I'll try that cheese strat. That boss is brutal. I'm trying to use Moonveil just because she closes too fast and my spells don't hit hard enough to outpace her life steal. Sorcery in general is a bit disappointing once you get the point where mobs and bosses start having giga-HP. At that point, you just hope they give you an opening for Comet Azur and don't have phases. Although it is nice to just kamehameha those tree bosses.

Yea, my first few attempts basically told me 'you either git gud and dodge all of her bullshit attacks so she can't lifesteal (shield block is no bueno) and then methodically take her down or you try to win the DPS race to melt her before she can melt you, mana efficiency be damned'. My build at the time was 80 int, 40 vig, 40 mind, and I stacked all the damage increases I could: carian scepter +10 with the snow witch hat (the dark moon spell is boosted by both of these), both sorcery damage talismans, the sorcery cast speed talisman (the moon spell casts way too slowly without this), and only used one defensive talisman (dragon greatshield or something, anti-physical damage) and a defensive flask for phase 2 (with the two tears that reduce incoming damage). I didn't use Comet Azur since I wanted to keep applying the debuff and stagger from the dark moon spell, but I think you may be able to use it in her second phase when she's stationary. I'm also preeetty sure I got lucky with her move selection on the kill as well, since my summon kept her attention for like 90% of the fight.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 12:10:57 AM by Zetor »

Rasix

Reply #143 on: March 25, 2022, 12:10:11 AM

My Chelona's Rise is bugged so I can't get the Ranni version of the spell. womp womp

-Rasix
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: March 25, 2022, 01:11:09 AM

I'm really thinking I chose hard mode by going all melee, but whatever. It's fun.

Same here.  Occasionally I feel a bit over-leveled, but then I spent two hours yesterday getting my ass handed to me by everything.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #145 on: March 25, 2022, 08:54:54 AM

I'm probably overleveled, but that gold shade Godfrey in the capital just owns me. I just can't quite get the timing of those attacks for some reason. But I will say I went in cold and got wiped and over the next few tries I was learning the timing and had him down to a quarter health each time. This game is pretty amazing in the fact that all you really need is time with some of these fights. Doing them repeatedly, I always have seen improvements until I clear it... just a matter of how much time I can devote to wasting on it.

I think this weekend I am going to really try practicing parrying, since that function fascinates me with the precise timing of it.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #146 on: March 25, 2022, 11:19:02 AM

Melee sans-shield is definitely the hardest mode for people who aren't intimately familiar with FromSoftware dodge roll mechanics. A 100% block physical resistance shield in the early game, however, makes almost all 1-on-1 non-boss encounters doable, if not trivial (block counter is OP against cannon fodder). Against bosses shields are much less useful (for blocking) but can still save quite a bit of your health.
schild
Administrator

Reply #147 on: March 25, 2022, 12:41:49 PM

Melee sans-shield is definitely the hardest mode for people who aren't intimately familiar with FromSoftware dodge roll mechanics. A 100% block physical resistance shield in the early game, however, makes almost all 1-on-1 non-boss encounters doable, if not trivial (block counter is OP against cannon fodder). Against bosses shields are much less useful (for blocking) but can still save quite a bit of your health.
I mean, kind of. They put enemies that can break block really early into Elden Ring. Moreso than the previous games. But yeah 100% physical always recommended, and you can just run south and grab one of the best in the game (turtle shell) really fuckin early.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #148 on: March 25, 2022, 01:35:48 PM

Great Turtle Shell shield got nerfed. Stick with Brass for early game.

Edit: double nerfed actually, from 100% physical to 87% and Barricade shield which it comes with was nerfed too (higher cost, shorter duration)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 01:40:11 PM by Trippy »
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: March 25, 2022, 01:54:41 PM

So just a question: I have a PS5. And disposable income. And a curiosity about this genre of game.

However, I will be honest -- I'm also pretty sure I will suck at this genre of game.

So which game in this genre is going to be least likely to make me rage quit?
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #150 on: March 25, 2022, 02:30:31 PM

You can easily spend 40+ hours in Elden Ring without battling any boss. It also has the most options to make life easier. The later bosses get really hard though. Otherwise I’d recommend OG Dark Souls which is probably the easiest and also one of the best.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #151 on: March 25, 2022, 02:54:06 PM

This one Morat, hands down.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: March 25, 2022, 03:11:45 PM

This one Morat, hands down.
Thanks. I'll pick it up and see what I can do with it. :)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #153 on: March 25, 2022, 03:40:44 PM

After playing it and learning the basics, if you get stuck, you can check out the "How to get OP fast!" videos on YouTube (find some for your starting class). Those will show you areas you can go to get stuff best suited for your starting class that will make you stronger without needing to fight anything in most cases.

And if you don't mind having your exploration spoiled this map is super handy:

https://mapgenie.io/elden-ring/maps/the-lands-between

E.g. you can select "Hide All" and then turn on things like "Site of Grace" (fast travel, potion refill, and more), "Golden Seed" (carry more potions), "Sacred Tear" (potions are more effective), and "Map Fragment" (turn off "fog" for sections of map) for (generally) easy to find / acquire stuff that will make your journey easier.

Edit: typos
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 03:44:49 PM by Trippy »
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: March 26, 2022, 06:59:10 AM

If by genre you mean "Souls Game", this one. I've had mixed feelings about all of them and never really finished most of them, but I love this one.

Man, I knew the Turtle Shield had changed. Time to see what else I've got.

Does all the shit in your inventory count as weight or is it just what you have equipped?
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: March 26, 2022, 09:20:26 AM

If by genre you mean "Souls Game", this one. I've had mixed feelings about all of them and never really finished most of them, but I love this one.

Man, I knew the Turtle Shield had changed. Time to see what else I've got.

Does all the shit in your inventory count as weight or is it just what you have equipped?

Everything showing up on the equipment screen counts. The stuff that’s listed under inventory but not on the equipment screen doesn’t
schild
Administrator

Reply #156 on: March 26, 2022, 10:57:09 AM

Man I wish I hadn't ever seen this genre and could experience Demons Souls again for the first time.
Rasix

Reply #157 on: March 26, 2022, 11:42:11 AM

I could go for Demon’s Souls again, but the run backs in that were brutal.

Malenia phase 2 is giving me fits. I fail the initial dodge 50% of the time, which means you’re just going to die. That carian skill you get from the magic dragon works great for phase 1 but it keeps you a bit close and vulnerable to her flurry.

Right now I’m doing an hour of attempts then bolting and advancing the plot.

-Rasix
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: March 26, 2022, 11:49:03 AM

Demon's Souls is the only souls game I ever finished, and only once.  And I have fond memories.  But....Elden Rings has possibly ruined me for all other souls games.  Not sure why I would play any of them when I can just play this.

They have also really made it hard to top this with any game that is not open world.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: March 26, 2022, 05:44:52 PM

It just feels to me like they've finally found a way to make discovery of the world's secrets more intuitive and integrated into the gameplay and yet challenging and surprising still? I'm finding almost every cool thing just by fiddling around and reading messages, whereas figuring some of the hidden shit out in the others absolutely required reading walkthroughs.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: March 26, 2022, 06:00:04 PM

I've mostly played strategy and some stwor lately. Is this game boomer friendly?  why so serious? (I'm not quite a boomer but my reflexes are :( ).
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #161 on: March 26, 2022, 08:02:14 PM

Not really. It is the "easiest" of the FromSoftware Soulsbournering* games as we've been discussing but it's still not easy and requires a certain amount of hand-eye coordination and reflexes to be able to progress. You can play with a friend or three to help you along but that opens you up to PvP invaders.

You might want to wait for a sale (which might be a while) so at least you won't be paying full price for it if you can't get very far. Or wait for the Steam (or equivalent) Spring Sale and pick up Dark Souls III for (relatively) cheap and see if you can get past the tutorial boss there. If so and you are willing to do some grinding in Elden Ring so you are always "over-leveled" you can give Elden Ring a try.

* [Demon's|Dark] Souls [I|II|III], Bloodbourne, Elden Ring
schild
Administrator

Reply #162 on: March 26, 2022, 09:07:27 PM

i'm not even gonna coat this, if you have shit reflexes, move on with your life this ain't it
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: March 27, 2022, 04:09:21 PM

I’ve already played 80 hours and at have barely set a foot into Leyndell.

Nerfed Radahn is a real push over.

Oh and for the record fuck the godskin bosses.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: March 28, 2022, 08:44:14 AM

Dear From Soft, just because you struck gold once with Ornstein and Smough doesn’t mean that every second boss has to be a Laurel and Hardy-esque due of annoying as ass bosses.
Rasix

Reply #165 on: March 28, 2022, 09:00:24 AM

Double bosses are no bueno. Misbegotten Warrior + Crucible Knight is an epic suckfest. Are any of them actually designed as a set or are they all just one random boss + another boss (possible same type)? I guess Godskin Duo works, but by that time you've fought those bosses indivually and likely more than once.

I've hit yet another brick wall. A full night of getting my ass beat wasn't the best time. That being said, the night previous I beat probably the toughest boss I've ever beat in a video game and I actually did some impressive stuff in the process. It felt good. Not sure if it offset the hours of attempts, but it was something.

-Rasix
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #166 on: March 28, 2022, 09:25:15 AM

Do you have meteorite (plus staff)? That seems to be the go to spell for sorcery builds for that boss.

Edit: link to a specific strat:

Edit2: sorcery not incantation
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 11:22:18 AM by Trippy »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: March 28, 2022, 02:02:16 PM

Duo bosses are usually all very optional, and are mostly meant to make coop more interesting. While still being very killable solo (Misbegotten+Crucible is a good example because by the time you get there you should be able to kill Misbegotten before Crucible shows up, but I am NOT saying this is an easy fight as a solo player).

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #168 on: March 28, 2022, 08:21:59 PM

There's at least one I remember that isn't optional.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: March 28, 2022, 09:56:30 PM

That's a totally fair number.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: March 28, 2022, 11:49:07 PM

According to my PS5 Trophy list nearly 30 percent of all Elden Ring players beat Morgott and nearly 5 percent platinumed the game.

That would be impressive numbers for any game but they are especially remarkable for a souls game
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #171 on: March 29, 2022, 12:36:01 AM

There's something wrong with the PSN Elden Ring trophy percentages.

I've only been playing for about a week so for so I only have a handful but on mine it says that 71.1% have defeated Margit which is way way too high. In comparison for Demon's Souls (PS5) 70.1% have defeated the very first boss Phalanx who isn't even a real Soulsbourne-style boss fight (it's just a big blob on the ground). There's no way a greater % of people have beaten Margit over Phalanx. In Bloodborne only 48.2% have beaten the first (optional) boss the Cleric Beast and only 45.3% have beaten the first story boss Father Gascoigne. Mine also says that 57.2% have beaten the Elden Ring optional boss in Castle Morne Loenine Misbegotten which seems way too high for an optional side-boss.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: March 29, 2022, 01:21:42 AM

Same thing on Steam, 73.5% have beaten Margit and even hard optional endgame bosses have 20+% numbers.

Maybe everyone just got gud.  awesome, for real

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: March 29, 2022, 01:37:33 AM

Eh, Margit is an early boss.  I would expect most players have done that, and fairly early.

Margot...is something else I think?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #174 on: March 29, 2022, 01:45:11 AM

Less than half the people who have played Bloodborne have beaten either of the first two bosses and Margit is much harder than both of them. The percentages are broken. I suspect the true percentages at least 1/2 less if not more.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elden Ring (FromSoftware)  
Jump to: