Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 09:46:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: AMD slashes prices 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AMD slashes prices  (Read 2300 times)
WindiaN
Terracotta Army

on: July 19, 2006, 12:31:51 PM

AMD X2 5000+ from $649 - $282 among others. Heres the whole list: http://images.dailytech.com/nimage/2094_large_amd_pricing_1023.png
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 12:34:24 PM

Wow...if those numbers hold up, it'll be hard for me to argue against overhauling my rig if I can possibly afford it...
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 12:49:22 PM by Strazos »

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 12:48:33 PM

Wow...if those numbers hold up, it'll be hard for me to argue against overhauling my rig if I can psosibly afford it...

The prices haven't dropped yet, at least not for New Egg. I read a press release by AMD that they didn't plan on lowering the prices in the advent of the new Intel Conroe chip. That would make sense since the Conroe chip is going to have such an insane price tag to start off with AMD is still going to look like the sweet deal chip for a long time to come.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 12:50:02 PM

Well, I wouldn't be looking to overhaul until some time next year, I hope.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
WindiaN
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 12:59:19 PM

Supposedly they are doing it on Intel's launch day: http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/07/19/amd_confirms_upcoming_price_drops/
I'm not completely sure about all of them, but it looks like they didn't cut any of the processors with increased cache (xp 4400+ 4800+ are the only two i know for sure)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 05:54:55 PM

MonarchComputer allows you to order CPU + MB combos with the new pricing for delivery starting next week.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 06:02:01 PM

That would make sense since the Conroe chip is going to have such an insane price tag to start off with AMD is still going to look like the sweet deal chip for a long time to come.
Not if the Woodcrest (server version of the Conroe) pricing is any indication. The 2.0 GHz version is $100 less than the 2.0 GHz Opteron equivalent and the 2.6 GHz version is $300 less than the Opteron version.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 06:37:53 PM

That would make sense since the Conroe chip is going to have such an insane price tag to start off with AMD is still going to look like the sweet deal chip for a long time to come.
Not if the Woodcrest (server version of the Conroe) pricing is any indication. The 2.0 GHz version is $100 less than the 2.0 GHz Opteron equivalent and the 2.6 GHz version is $300 less than the Opteron version.

The Woodcrest seems to be a Xeon processor, according to new egg. Are you saying that the new Conroe's server version is also being called Woodcrest? I thought it was an entirely new architechture, and hence would have a different name.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=ENE&N=2010340343+50001157+1302820275+1050922423&Subcategory=343&description=&srchInDesc=&minPrice=&maxPrice=

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 06:47:12 PM

The Woodcrest seems to be a Xeon processor, according to new egg. Are you saying that the new Conroe's server version is also being called Woodcrest?
Isn't that what I just said?

Intel is sticking with Xeon as their server CPU "brand" regardless of the underlying architecture. Just like there were Xeon P3s and Xeon P4s there are now Xeon Core Duos.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: AMD slashes prices  
Jump to: