Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 08:09:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: Season 4 Playoff Speculation 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Season 4 Playoff Speculation  (Read 35984 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

on: July 11, 2011, 01:53:12 PM

Have at it. Do we know how Falconeer is seeding things yet? Totally random? 1v4, 2v3, no same divisions?

If we're seeded by our finish in our divisions, and assuming I got this right, it looks like:

Alive Not Dead (necro) #1 seed
Negative Capability (necro) #1 seed
Paper Armour Dolls (dark elf) #1 seed
Hazardous Hippies (woodies) #1 seed

Beardstorm! (dwarf) #2 seed and all around league favorite
Rape of Skabine (rats) #2 seed
HHBL (lizards) #2 seed
Ex-Presidents (chaos) #2 seed

Acherontic Welkin (high elf) #3 seed
Diplomatic Immunity (norse) #3 seed
Carnifex's Cripplers (lizard) #3 seed
Burrowing Beetles (khemri) #3 seed

7 Deadly (lizard) #4 seed
F13 Catfighters (amazon) #4 seed
Spleen Flay Hackers (dark elf) #4 seed
Minizillas (lizard) #4 seed

Observation: that's a lot of goddamn skinks.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 01:56:49 PM by Ingmar »

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 02:06:04 PM

PAD v Hazardous in the finals. That is all.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 02:09:02 PM

My main hope is that each 'regional' doesn't have any teams from the same divisions, so we get to play new people. Otherwise I'm not sure I care too much who I get matched up against.

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 02:11:19 PM

Yeah, I'd prefer to play a greater variety of teams...and less Andydavo.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 02:29:43 PM

Shit, I'll volunteer to play him first if that makes you all feel better.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 02:39:57 PM

Shit, I'll volunteer to play him first if that makes you all feel better.

I am pretty sure you get one of us #2 seeds.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

drogg
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 02:54:46 PM

every lizard team that isn't HHB is just a bunch of hangers-on. Google It
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 03:00:30 PM

I am pretty sure you get one of us #2 seeds.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

That would probably be a bloody game for the both of us. However, I'm OK with playing any of the #2 seeds. Also, with my Thrower probably gone for good, I've been able to lower my TV a bit more.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
AndyDavo
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 04:41:03 PM

the list shamelessly hijacked and modified. sorry!

Alive Not Dead (necro) #1 seed - last season beaten finalists, hard to see them being beaten tbh. Focus!!
Negative Capability (necro) #1 seed-  a str5 wolf. *rolls eyes* i say again. a str5 wolf. wolf. str5.
Paper Armour Dolls (dark elf) #1 seed - me. i'm not commenting on myself, sky likes doing that.
Hazardous Hippies (woodies) #1 seed - scored around 74 touchdowns in 7 games so far, great offence, but will they be able to defend? a finalist contender for sure. i would like to play this guy he looks good.

Beardstorm! (dwarf) #2 seed - -Dwarves. Yuck. will be a pain in the arse and should make the semi's. needs to show TV management skills however.
Rape of Skabine (rats) #2 seed - skaven - capable of anything, just depends what rats show up i guess.
HHBL (lizards) #2 seed - needs to see the TV trimming salon or will be giving away wizards all over the show.
Ex-Presidents (chaos) #2 seed - joint top 2nd seed here in my book, the block /claw/mb guy is a match winner.

Acherontic Welkin (high elf) #3 seed - sadly only 11 players, will really struggle if paired with bash, maybe next season. still a contender for dark horse if gets the rub of the green.
Diplomatic Immunity (norse) #3 seed - Norse, they break. No. See my division for details.
Carnifex's Cripplers (lizard) #3 seed - Sauri  are not developed for this seasons make or break games. solid coach however.
Burrowing Beetles (khemri) #3 seed - the TG's are getting there, the pick of this tiers teams for progression.

7 Deadly (lizard) #4 seed - more lizards. needs to kick the perms and think about the future.
F13 Catfighters (amazon) #4 seed - one of my favorite races and a niice guy. should't be seeded as a 4th spot.
Spleen Flay Hackers (dark elf) #4 seed - carries a lot of perms which if focused will be his undoing.
Minizillas (lizard) #4 seed -  not enough tv to stop any of the top 4 in the first round if seeded like that, but proved he is capable.

My views are objective, having not played most of you i've just looked down the teams list. i do look forwards to playing 3 of you however. (maybe).
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 06:22:24 PM

Time more more trash talk! On those I have played before.

Teleku. Struggled in a harder division last season, but has performed better this time around. Part of that might be his team coming together, but he still doesn't have enough of a bench to win consistently in my view. He could ruin anyone on his day but probably won't make the final. Could struggle against IainC or Comstar.

Ingmar. Dwarves don't really have any tricks against some of the high TV favorites here, so it is hard to see him winning the final. Also struggled in a harder division last season. Some touch matchups in the 3rd seeds, he will probably hope to play Carnifex or Strazos.

Llyse. Good team with a decent coach, but can struggle in the big games all the same. He had more of a TV advantage when he made the final last season, so it will not be as smooth a run if he makes it this time. Is a chance for the final though. Will probably want to avoid Comstar or IainC fist up.

Ice. Just missed the finals last year in a tough division and has responded by demolishing his division this time around. Yet to play finals, so maybe the nerves will get him. His team is solid, but less even than Llyse's and more prone to relying on a key player. With seeding he should be a chance to see late finals action. Probably shades all the matchups he might get, though IainC might cause some hurt.

Comstar. A good coach who had a tough run this season. If there are seedings then being 4th could prove his demise. A first up win however, and he will be right back in contention. Best matchup would be the Hippies for sure.

Drogg. I don't think he will make it that far again this season. The easy division might get to his head. Doesn't really have the team to put fear in to any of the main contenders. All of the 3rd seeds will probably love to draw him.

Carnifex. Lizards are probably still low on the TV scales to really make a run of it. Could surprise some who don't pay them enough respect, though. Could probably struggle against Ruvaldt and Ingmar. A lizard v lizard matchup with drogg is probably his best option.

Ezrast. Yet another from the hardest division of last season to make it through this time in a (slightly, only slightly) easier group (along with Teleku, Ingmar and Ice Cream, as well as the top two Llyse and myself - Battletech S#2 represent). Didn't make the cut last time, and a low seeding here will make it very tough to progress any further. Ice and Teleku have played him before, and Andy is probably a bridge too far.

On those I might be playing in the 3rd seeds, if it works out that way:

Megrim. I do not want this matchup. I will be giving away TV against a good player with a style I really don't enjoy facing. Elves suck. If I do come up against him I will have to play a bashy game and hope my blitzers and rat ogre have their claws sharpened. Will have to hope my bench gives me the advantage, if I get him down a few players I would feel pretty safe.

Strazos. Another tough match. This could come down to dice on bashing, with both sides fragile and easy to fall apart. I dislike the frenzy and will be looking to changeup my ususal line running strategy if I meet him.

Proudft. Possibly my best matchup, with my rats liking the slow moving khemri playstyle... but perhaps also the best player of the group, having proved the doubters wrong again and again. It could come down to kickoff events and the ability of my rats to break the cage. I really wish I had kick (STILL NO KICK!!).
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 06:52:28 PM by lamaros »
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 07:51:40 PM

Playing for 2nd place on the last day last season with a fresh team was "struggling"? No Christmas card for you this year, sir.  Heartbreak

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 08:21:48 PM

Playing for 2nd place on the last day last season with a fresh team was "struggling"? No Christmas card for you this year, sir.  Heartbreak

Considering that Teleku, Ice and Llyse are top of their groups and you and I are second, with Ezrast also making the finals, you can make a pretty good argument for Battletech last season being one of the toughest groups we've had.

But that doesn't spice up the finals, so I'm just going to go with you getting an easy run this time around after not making the grade before.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 08:35:45 PM

On those I have played before.

I've played you plenty of times before, Lamaros!  In fact, your Dark Elf team and their AV 7-8 selves helped me build the Ex-Presidents...

As for my odds in the playoffs: I'm just glad to have finally made them, and to make second seed on top of that makes me a very happy camper indeed.  Especially with the first Chaos team to do so.  It's all gravy from here.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 08:48:50 PM

On those I have played before.

I've played you plenty of times before, Lamaros!  In fact, your Dark Elf team and their AV 7-8 selves helped me build the Ex-Presidents...

I meant teams with my team. I think I played Megrim's elves in the feeder too.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 12:39:37 AM

The seeding works like this:

Groups: Bt, Ct, St, Tw.

1st Bt vs 4th Ct
1st Ct vs 4th St
1st St vs 4th Tw
1st Tw vs 4th Bt
2nd Bt vs 3rd Ct
2nd Ct vs 3rd St
2nd St vs 3rd Tw
2nd Tw vs 3rd Bt

The playoff grid will be as follow (anyone willing to make a visual version of it is welcome to do so):

Left Side, from top to bottom:

1Bt vs 4Ct

2Tw vs 3Bt

2Ct vs 3St

1St vs 4Tw

Right Side, from top to bottom:

1Ct vs 4St

2St vs 3Tw

2Bt vs 3Ct

1Tw vs 4Bt

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 01:25:52 AM

EDIT: Disregard, see below!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 01:39:21 AM by Ingmar »

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 01:36:37 AM

Hey, are there two Tier Noob teams in the playoffs? Carnifex and Ulysses are both from that glorious tier, aren't they?

MAKE US PROUD GUYS

God Save the Horn Players
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 01:38:54 AM

Does this look right?

Ulysees
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 01:43:33 AM

Just seen my first match of the playoffs is against Andydavo, so not much chance of an upset methinks, but hey at least tier noob is represented in the playoffs and it's been a blast playing with you all this season which is the main thing.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 12, 2011, 01:48:55 AM

I'm a little sad that I have to play proudft in the first round, since he is part of my COACHING TREE. The rest of those losers are all in the failoffs, too.

Ice Cream Emperor
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: July 12, 2011, 02:10:50 AM

Does this look right?

That depends -- did you make that in Excel?  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: July 12, 2011, 02:34:25 AM

What's a coaching tree?

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: July 12, 2011, 02:45:02 AM

What's a coaching tree?

It's a term they use in American sports to describe the family tree of coaches who worked as assistants for each other etc., but I was just using it to mean 'people that are playing Blood Bowl here because I recruited them to the league or f13'.

Although really Fordel gets the credit since he's how I found my way here.

Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #23 on: July 12, 2011, 03:35:28 AM

Couldn't ask for a much better draw with Andy facing Ingmar's beardstorm or Khemri.

Also looking forward to seeing Megrim knock Lamaros the fuck out  awesome, for real
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: July 12, 2011, 04:01:56 AM

I look forward to meeting you in the semis again, and kicking you out.

Douchebag! awesome, for real
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: July 12, 2011, 04:13:46 AM

I look forward to meeting you in the semis again, and kicking you out.

Who's the douchebag thinking he'll pass Megrim and Teleku/comstar to get to the semis?  why so serious?
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: July 12, 2011, 05:32:21 AM

Not me!
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #27 on: July 12, 2011, 05:42:07 AM

I look forward to getting beaten like a red-headed stepchild in the semis by IainC.

Fixt

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
drogg
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: July 12, 2011, 05:43:58 AM

hmm. pretty sure i can take carnifex, especially with him down a saurus, but ICE is another matter.  go ezrast go! Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #29 on: July 12, 2011, 08:54:31 AM

So this is single elimination now, correct?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: July 12, 2011, 08:56:00 AM

hmm. pretty sure i can take carnifex, especially with him down a saurus, but ICE is another matter.  go ezrast go! Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The banter and rivalry is the best part of playoffs  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: July 12, 2011, 09:09:14 AM

Single elimination, yes.

Anyway, I don't plan on twisting anyone's arm. But it'd be great if any of you with more graphical skills than me could come up with a visual representation of the playoff/failoff grid. I love that stuff. It's ok if no one makes it, but Nuffle will be informed.

Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: July 12, 2011, 09:58:38 AM

Wow my draw is very nice all the way to the semi-finals hopefully.

With two +1MV/Guard Blodging Blitzers out for my first game, I can either buy 2 loner blitzers, a wizard and a bloodwiser babe, or a reroll and 2 bloodwiser babes.

Both teams start with 11 players on the pitch, and while the Wood Elves have a treeman with Multiple Block, I have as many guard players he has ST 2, and he only 3 players with block and only 1 with tackle. The game might well come down to his leaping tackling strip balling Wardancers. I need to play close attention to the 2 Wardancers and 2 catchers, as they the only players on the wood elf team who actually do touchdowns, and only his thrower throws much.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 10:19:10 AM by Comstar »

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #33 on: July 12, 2011, 10:04:50 AM

Mmm...stripping wardancers...
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #34 on: July 12, 2011, 10:34:37 AM

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: Season 4 Playoff Speculation  
Jump to: