Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 12:03:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Earthrise: Sci-Fi PVP MMO 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Earthrise: Sci-Fi PVP MMO  (Read 36927 times)
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: January 14, 2011, 05:07:03 PM

I liked the fact they got their high tech armor, huge guns, and then went out and melee'd space-hogs sitting in the fields. Looks fairly impressively dull, but that seems to be the way of sci-fi MMO's.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: January 14, 2011, 05:27:56 PM

They appear to have improved the overall quality of the visuals quite a bit.  It will be interesting to see how it plays, but I'm not expecting much out of it. 

Well, it's saying something they couldn't get enough 'footage' to do the promo video that didn't include the players rubberbanding every couple seconds  ACK!
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: February 02, 2011, 05:15:13 PM

Extensive Massively beta gameplay

Honestly, I like the open world pvp, crafting, and skill choices.  But... aint no way I'm payin $50 EU to try this thing out, which is a shame 'cause obviously in a game like this headstarts are crucial.  Really a headscratcher why they didnt have at least a short 3-day OB to introduce the game.

edit:
TTH got a buncha beta keys today
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 05:25:15 PM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #108 on: February 02, 2011, 07:30:58 PM

I liked the fact they got their high tech armor, huge guns, and then went out and melee'd space-hogs sitting in the fields. Looks fairly impressively dull, but that seems to be the way of sci-fi MMO's.

They certainly do seem to incorporate the running involved in fantasy MMOs, and, well, MMOs in general. 
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: February 04, 2011, 08:46:46 PM

Well, this came out today.  Was anyone stupid brave enough to give it a try?
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: February 05, 2011, 10:25:26 AM

Hell no, this game had the most horrible 'feel' of any MMO I've ever played.  I didnt make it past the newb island.
Essentially this is the deal, you're paying indeed for a beta (seems like the devs and the community are coming to grips with that).  But, since it's a sandboxey pvp game you're rewarded with a huge headstart on the folks that waited for the game to ya know, be finished 'n stuff.   why so serious?

The comparisons to DF are abound in gen. chat, but DF is a 'finished' product.   ER is not.  As such, to play ER you'd need a love for DF, a passion for sci-fi, and extreme patience with the client.
In closing, gtfo and just play FoM if you're interested in these types of games.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #111 on: February 05, 2011, 03:25:50 PM

I'm entirely stupid brave enough to play this, as evidenced by the trail of shit MMOs I've played over the past 3 or 4 years.  Maybe my sense is catching up with my wallet-  very much on the "no" side of the fence right now.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: February 05, 2011, 11:59:31 PM

I nabbed one of the TTH beta keys, and spent about an hour with it.  Made it through the tutorial, and got a quest to kill some random baddies.  Except they were rank 20, to my rank 10.   awesome, for real

On top of that, there's the terrible lag, and a completely crap control scheme.  The skill system looked interesting, but not enough to put up with all the other crap.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: February 06, 2011, 09:10:19 AM

The 'lag' isnt actually lag, it's desync... which further borks the control scheme.
Yes indeed, they actually betatested and released a 'modern' MMO with desync as the norm.  And a pvp one at that.   Facepalm

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #114 on: February 09, 2011, 01:10:02 PM

The comparisons to DF are abound in gen. chat, but DF is a 'finished' product.   ER is not.  As such, to play ER you'd need a love for DF, a passion for sci-fi, and extreme patience with the client.
In closing, gtfo and just play FoM if you're interested in these types of games.

Wait, you are suggesting Faces of Mankind over this game? Isn't that like recommending AIDS over Cancer or some shit?

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #115 on: February 09, 2011, 01:32:23 PM

Earthrise is like paying for your AIDS, whereas with FoM at least you get it for free, right?
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: February 09, 2011, 03:46:08 PM

Wait, you are suggesting Faces of Mankind over this game? Isn't that like recommending AIDS over Cancer or some shit?

(shrug)  Dont shoot the messenger.  This is the state sci-fi MMOs are in right now.  I'd actually recommend even Neocron over ER at this point.  Hell, Entropia (planet calypso) even... why not.
I will say if they fix the desync and UI issues that it'd be worth playing, but charging a box fee + sub. is stretching it.

I'd wait for a trial and at that point I'd expect the kinks to be worked out.  Damned beautiful game to just wander around in though, and the sci-fi pew pew is refreshing.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: February 09, 2011, 03:57:17 PM

Apparently, Masthead is ok with selling your account to someone else.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #118 on: February 09, 2011, 06:15:14 PM

Did you buy one?  awesome, for real
Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: February 09, 2011, 07:20:31 PM

Just got play Fallen Earth if you want Sci Fi. It's at least playable and has a great crafting system.

Chinchila - LaRoche Server, APB
Drahcir - 50 Captain/GM Weaponsmith, LoTRO Silverlode (Retired)
St Drahcir - 7xMage, UO Chesapeake (Retired)
Chinchilla Dakilla - Barbarian R50, Shadowbane (Retired)
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: February 09, 2011, 08:36:16 PM

Did you buy one?  awesome, for real

Hah, no.  I was looking over their forums today and there were several threads by people looking to sell their accounts.

I'll sell an account in a heartbeat, though.  I sold two pre9 jedi accounts in swg for a nice chunk of change, but I'll be damned if I ever buy one.

(e:  I don't have a ER account, just sayin')
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 08:38:10 PM by SnakeCharmer »
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: July 25, 2011, 05:15:49 PM

So I just got a 14 day free trial offer to this game. I have zero idea how they have my email other than maybe a long forgotten beta sign up. Interestingly, they claim it's the same engine that's going to be used in the Fallout MMO.

Did anyone ever check this out?
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: July 25, 2011, 07:34:41 PM

I've not played it, outside of a few hours before open beta ended.  Everything I've read, though, seems to point to it being a complete train wreck.  However, I'm downloading the client for the free trial, so we'll see just how bad it really is.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: July 26, 2011, 03:39:39 AM

Complete and utter garbage.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #124 on: July 26, 2011, 12:55:03 PM

Care to elaborate? I got that free trial email as well. I doubted it was worth my time, but I would like some reasons it isn't.

Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: July 26, 2011, 11:29:44 PM

Just login to the game. Don't actually click anything and just read global chat. It's all about a minority of a fanbase fighting off all the people suckered into spending time installing this thing, this unsanitized piece of software written by what has to be first-time coders under the game design mantra of "Tabula Whatnow? Anarchy Onwhere?"

"It's in alpha!" they will yell.
"The trial was leaked!" they will cry.
"The lag is because the servers are in Turkey!" they will wail.
"The bullets go sideways because it's sci-fi!" they will protest.

The young African John Travolta with blond hair however should be available in every character creator ever though.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #126 on: July 27, 2011, 12:54:05 PM

"The bullets go sideways because it's sci-fi!" they will protest.

That told me all I needed to know.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Earthrise: Sci-Fi PVP MMO  
Jump to: