Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 09:34:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Windows 8 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Windows 8  (Read 224568 times)
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #385 on: December 28, 2012, 10:58:59 PM

I think some of the systems with windows 8 pro (for which I assume you pay a healthy premium) allow you the "advantage" of downgrading to 7 if you jump through some hoops.

Apparently that's where a lot of their "sales" are coming from. Corporate licenses they can downgrade for more windows 7 desktops. Consumer enthusiasm and surface sales seem to be getting a pretty weak response for all the money they've spent promoting it.

Though I also think part of it is that Windows 7 is "good enough" people just don't care in general. Which is not so good for Microsoft when their model is based on one-off box sales for a shrinking (but still huge and lucrative) market. They knew this was coming though. They've wanted to move to a subscription model for ages but the consumer is not remotely interested.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #386 on: December 29, 2012, 07:35:11 AM

They're sticking to their guns on Metro in their public-face.  We invested quite a bit developing apps for the platform, and MS was pretty clear that they feel the tablet/Metro style of computing is what they feel the future of computing will be.  I suspect that if they continue forcing this down our throats for the next iteration, we're going to see Linux/Ununtu development skyrocket. 

Metro simply isn't officework friendly. 
Ahahah you believed Microsoft when they said they were dedicated to a platform. Ask everyone who ever bought a zune about that.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #387 on: December 29, 2012, 12:31:39 PM

awesome, for real

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #388 on: December 29, 2012, 12:53:35 PM

They're sticking to their guns on Metro in their public-face.  We invested quite a bit developing apps for the platform, and MS was pretty clear that they feel the tablet/Metro style of computing is what they feel the future of computing will be.  I suspect that if they continue forcing this down our throats for the next iteration, we're going to see Linux/Ununtu development skyrocket. 

Metro simply isn't officework friendly. 
Ahahah you believed Microsoft when they said they were dedicated to a platform. Ask everyone who ever bought a zune about that.

Or any Windows Phone.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #389 on: January 09, 2013, 11:24:19 PM

Not quite sure where to put this, using this thread as it's Mircosoft related:

Microsoft to shut down Messenger on March 15, move users to Skype

End of MSN Messenger.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #390 on: January 10, 2013, 12:18:15 AM

man times change.
mine used to be ICQ.
AIM.
Then X-Fire
Then MSN
Currently steamchat.

Guess what'sapp n other mobile shit is replacing MSN pretty soon,..stlll...100 users.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #391 on: January 10, 2013, 12:50:10 AM

Oh stop that. You make me feel old. Ohhhhh, I see.

I still remember my ICQ number, despite not using it for 10+ years...

First ICQ than
MSN
Nowadays Trillian (=MSN+Skype+IRC), Whatsapp and Steamchat.

Steamchat is nifty, but not having a log is annoying.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #392 on: January 10, 2013, 07:16:16 AM

I still use AIM for like 5-6 people.

Other than that I use SteamChat and IRC. Someone made a free fork of XChat (HexChat) so I've switched to that as my IRC client from good old mIRC which sits in the pantheon of "programs everyone used and never ever paid for" next to WinZip and WinRAR.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #393 on: January 11, 2013, 07:35:51 AM

Question:

Just bought parts for a new system.  Should I use Windows 7 or spend the money for Windows 8?  The system is primarily for working at home (Office Suite and journal writing/reading) and gaming.

Anyone know where I can get a free/cheap copy of Windows 7? 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #394 on: January 11, 2013, 07:43:31 AM

Windows 7. 8 is a fucking abomination unless you have a touchscreen.

Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #395 on: January 11, 2013, 08:34:05 AM

Windows 7. As far as cheap goes if you know anyone that goes to college you can get a discounted copy through college books stores. As far as free well there is always the Internet.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #396 on: January 11, 2013, 10:37:49 AM

If you still have access to your college email account you can go hit Dreamspark and see what is offered.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #397 on: January 11, 2013, 10:41:19 AM

I work at a university.  I always have a college email address!

I'll check it out.  Thanks.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #398 on: January 11, 2013, 11:04:46 AM

Employees of universities typically get a further discount on Microsoft products.  Depending on how lax the bookstores are they do not even track the sales.  I have heard of a couple professors that made decent money on buying software over the years and reselling it.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #399 on: January 11, 2013, 11:38:09 AM

I can get licenses for Win7/Win8 for $20 a pop as university staff through our online store, but students recently were forced to get their MS software from Dreamspark.

Dreamspark does however have a fuckload of stuff we didn't used to offer. We mostly offered Office, Windows, Visual Studio. Our deal with Microsoft on Dreamspark includes like everything they make under the sun.

Edit: Let me see what I can get right now as staff since I'm thinking about it...

Win 8 Professional, Win 7 Ultimate - $19
Office 2010 - $19
Adobe Suite 6 Master Collection - $575.79
Adobe Suite 6 Design - $200

Then a bunch of Statistics/flowcharting/etc crap only students really need.

I've been half tempted to buy CS6. That's a crazy discount.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 11:44:16 AM by Fabricated »

schild
Administrator

Reply #400 on: January 13, 2013, 03:18:21 PM

I'm half tempted to find the money to get CS6 through you. And might.
schild
Administrator

Reply #401 on: January 13, 2013, 03:27:01 PM

Man, Microsoft typically fucks up and lets me register with my terpalum email for shit like this.

Not this time.

:(
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #402 on: January 13, 2013, 03:34:39 PM

I have finally seen a Surface in the wild. A Surface Pro is now incredibly tempting.

Are there any other Intel-based PC tablets with superthin keyboards, with stylus and pressure support, that run all Windows apps?
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #403 on: January 13, 2013, 03:53:37 PM

Remember the battery life on those Lum. Its quoted by MS as "up to 4 hours". Thats scary short.
schild
Administrator

Reply #404 on: January 13, 2013, 04:02:36 PM

I can't think of a better way to blow a bunch of money on something totally pointless than to say "Yes, I'd like to purchase a Surface Pro."

It is the actual technological equivalent of burning money.
Raph
Developers

Reply #405 on: January 13, 2013, 05:00:33 PM

That's why I am asking i there are others that are comparable.

My current (work-issued) laptop is an inch thick and I avoid using it whenever possible. When I travel for work, I set it on the desk at the office I am visiting and leave it there until I fly out. The iPad has spoiled me for portabilityr, & I would very much like to be able to actually use Windows in that form factor.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #406 on: January 13, 2013, 05:41:55 PM

I don't own one, but I work with one of our dev units occasionally when customers need help with our apps.  To me, it lost everything I like about the Windows platform, yet didn't quite do enough to make itself different than having an iPad.  I can't see myself coding or working on either unit, though email/browsing and the occasional app would be neat.  It just feels like a step backward in productivity and flexibility for me.  But then again, I'm likely doing it wrong.
schild
Administrator

Reply #407 on: January 13, 2013, 05:54:14 PM

That's why I am asking i there are others that are comparable.

My current (work-issued) laptop is an inch thick and I avoid using it whenever possible. When I travel for work, I set it on the desk at the office I am visiting and leave it there until I fly out. The iPad has spoiled me for portabilityr, & I would very much like to be able to actually use Windows in that form factor.
What are you doing that you need the windows platform when you aren't at your desk that a regular old $100-$400 tablet can't do?
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #408 on: January 13, 2013, 06:41:12 PM

I can get licenses for Win7/Win8 for $20 a pop as university staff through our online store, but students recently were forced to get their MS software from Dreamspark.

Dreamspark does however have a fuckload of stuff we didn't used to offer. We mostly offered Office, Windows, Visual Studio. Our deal with Microsoft on Dreamspark includes like everything they make under the sun.

Edit: Let me see what I can get right now as staff since I'm thinking about it...

Win 8 Professional, Win 7 Ultimate - $19
Office 2010 - $19
Adobe Suite 6 Master Collection - $575.79
Adobe Suite 6 Design - $200

Then a bunch of Statistics/flowcharting/etc crap only students really need.

I've been half tempted to buy CS6. That's a crazy discount.

I would like the win7 ultimate key if it's possible.
How do I paypal u the money?

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #409 on: January 13, 2013, 07:24:51 PM

He can't resell those.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #410 on: January 13, 2013, 07:53:15 PM

What are you doing that you need the windows platform when you aren't at your desk that a regular old $100-$400 tablet can't do?
As I recall from complaints on facebook, working with .psd's and .ppt's. Composing/editing, not just viewing

--Dave
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 07:55:04 PM by MahrinSkel »

--Signature Unclear
schild
Administrator

Reply #411 on: January 13, 2013, 09:33:40 PM

Can't see a reason for doing that on anything other than a laptop. Like, at all.
Raph
Developers

Reply #412 on: January 13, 2013, 11:42:39 PM

Multiple pounds of weight in my bag, basically.

I suppose an Ultrabook would be just as light, but I'd really like to have the stylus and I haven't seen many Ultrabooks with a stylus.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #413 on: January 13, 2013, 11:54:03 PM

He can't resell those.

profound.... SADNESS.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #414 on: January 14, 2013, 12:11:09 AM

Remember the battery life on those Lum. Its quoted by MS as "up to 4 hours". Thats scary short.

Lawl?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #415 on: January 14, 2013, 06:41:47 AM

I can't think of a better way to blow a bunch of money on something totally pointless than to say "Yes, I'd like to purchase a Surface Pro."

It is the actual technological equivalent of burning money.

Oh shit, this means that the surface is bound to be a huge success right?  On a Microsoft related side bar I have been working through learning Microsoft MVC and for the first time I can recall MS feels like they are headed in the right direction with a web development tool, that viewstate shit needed to die in a bad way.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 08:05:52 AM by Salamok »
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #416 on: January 14, 2013, 07:38:11 AM

He can't resell those.

profound.... SADNESS.
Unfortunately it's true. Like I said though; if you have a usable university email account you can always try to hit Dreamspark and see if your campus has some sort of deal with MS. I think they imply that they try to see if you're staff or if you're enrolled currently, but I call bullshit on that since it can't be automated.

Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #417 on: January 14, 2013, 10:29:30 AM

We have a couple Samsung Ativ tablets coming with windows 8 pro for work.  I am not holding my breath on them being anything spectacular.  The battery life is supposed to be around 4 hours with a I5 processor.   I think we are still a generation away before the power / battery life is good enough for me.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #418 on: January 14, 2013, 01:53:57 PM

FWIW Consumer Reports has a lot of nice things to say about the Surface, pretty much low app availability was the only knock. (Well, and that it was a little heavy for a tablet.)

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #419 on: January 14, 2013, 02:36:57 PM

Unfortunately it's true. Like I said though; if you have a usable university email account you can always try to hit Dreamspark and see if your campus has some sort of deal with MS. I think they imply that they try to see if you're staff or if you're enrolled currently, but I call bullshit on that since it can't be automated.

I have no interest in Win 8, so no ulterior motives here, but isn't it possible to set up a fake university account? Or use someone's who has no desire to buy Windows? Or enroll into some free clases for a student-pass (that's great for the ego too, so much better than being a waitress!).

Just asking! Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 32 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Windows 8  
Jump to: