Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 02:33:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2010 College Football 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2010 College Football  (Read 195465 times)
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #525 on: November 01, 2010, 08:29:39 AM

If they would just give the Mountain West Conference an automatic BCS bid then everyone could calm down and quit bitching.  Or maybe just give them the Big East's automatic. 
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #526 on: November 01, 2010, 09:26:55 AM

They will find a way to get alabama, lsu, nebraska, wisconsin or oklahoma up into the top two before that happens.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #527 on: November 01, 2010, 09:29:01 AM

They will find a way to get alabama, lsu, nebraska, wisconsin or oklahoma up into the top two before that happens.

If Utah or TCU finishes undefeated and Auburn and/or Oregon lose you can bet that Utah or TCU will be one of the two teams in the BCS title game.  Boise is just shit out of luck. 
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #528 on: November 01, 2010, 09:30:25 AM

If they would just give the Mountain West Conference an automatic BCS bid then everyone could calm down and quit bitching.  Or maybe just give them the Big East's automatic. 

I would not stop bitching. I believe there shouldn't be automatic bids, period. There are frankly some years where nobody from a certain conference deserves to play in a BCS bowl. Let's stroll down memory lane, shall we?

1998-99: Shitty Orange Bowl - Florida destroys an 8-3 Syracuse Big East Champion 31-10.
1999-2000: Shitty Rose Bowl - A #22 8-3 Stanford team is the PAC-10 Champ, gets beat by Wisconsin, doesn't score a point in the second half.
2000-01: Shitty Rose Bowl - A #17 8-3 Purdue team is the Big Ten Champ, gets beat by Washington going on a 17 point streak in the second half.
2002-03: Shitty Orange Bowl - Georgia beats a 9-4 ACC Champ Florida State team. Texas gets passed over in the BCS.
2004-05: Shitty Fiesta Bowl - Utah destroys 8-3 Big East Champ Pitt 35-7. Louisville gets passed over because they are C-USA at this point.
2005-06: Shitty Orange Bowl - 8-4 Florida State ACC Champ gets beat in 3OT by an overrated Penn State team. Great game, but VA Tech would have won.
2007-08: Shitty Rose Bowl - USC forced to crush 9-3 Illinois 49-17 due to "tradition", Georgia sacrifices Hawaii 41-10, instead of playing each other.

I'm just tired of the bad bowls every other year because we have some dumbass team getting some automatic bid due to the rules that you can't have more than 2 teams in a conference represented.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #529 on: November 01, 2010, 09:50:32 AM

I believe there shouldn't be automatic bids, period.

This would be fine, in my opinion, but it will never happen.  We will see a playoff before there are no automatic bids.  And you can be guaranteed that there will be automatic league bids with a playoff, which kind of mucks up the reasoning for doing a playoff in the first place. 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #530 on: November 01, 2010, 12:28:35 PM

Meh, removing automatic bids wouldn't make it any harder for people to keep out the teams that don't pass the magical 'legitimate program' test.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #531 on: November 01, 2010, 12:30:40 PM

Boise is not a legitimate program. I think that's pretty much the only one I would ever take issue with in the BCS system.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #532 on: November 01, 2010, 12:43:22 PM

Of course, as we know, college football is a closed system, and no team that hasn't had success in the past can ever break in.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #533 on: November 01, 2010, 12:49:42 PM

Of course, as we know, college football is a closed system, and no team that hasn't had success in the past can ever break in.

I know that's sarcasm, but Utah is proving that statement wrong. You can be good at what you do and be recognized, you can break out of the comfort zone of playing in a shitty conference, and you can move on to better things in today's system. When Utah joins the PAC-10 they will have just as much a right to play for the national championship as anyone else if they continue to go undefeated.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #534 on: November 01, 2010, 01:38:56 PM

Hey, the Illinois loss to USC in the Rose Bowl was because Ron Zook is a terrible coach who ran the exact same play with no success for the entire first half. And that USC team was as good or better than the teams in the title game that year.

And that is not about an "automatic" bid. The Rose Bowl was a Big Ten vs Pac 10 bowl, but to get those two conferences into the BCS stupidity, they had to make the fucked up "the rose bowl is champ game 1 year out of however many, and if the big ten champ is in the title game and it is not the rose bowl, number 2 goes."

Boise is not a legitimate program. I think that's pretty much the only one I would ever take issue with in the BCS system.

How is Boise State not a legitimate program?

They are a Division I school with a football team. They play games every week. Is this just because you are still whining about the blue astroturf?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #535 on: November 01, 2010, 02:03:16 PM

How is Boise State not a legitimate program?

They are a Division I school with a football team. They play games every week. Is this just because you are still whining about the blue astroturf?

New Mexico State is a Division I school with a football team. That doesn't make them a legitimate program, either.

There's a lot of steps you have to take to be a legitimate football program. To be a legitimate program, you have to be able to support your own program without relying on being paid to lose to the bigger schools in the nation. To be a legitimate program, you have to have fans that are willing to travel and support your team in away games, bowls, and television. To be a legitimate program, you have to play in a conference that actually competes within itself. To be a legitimate program, you have to pay your dues by agreeing to play the established teams on their terms, not yours.

Boise State has the first two, but they don't have the second two. Once they get the hell out of the smaller conferences who get paid to lose, or agree to play other teams without demanding home and home scheduling, they will get recognized. If they continue to steamroll a meaningless schedule and crow about how they beat a team who lost to James Madison, they will get no respect from anyone.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #536 on: November 01, 2010, 02:17:59 PM

agree to play other teams without demanding home and home scheduling

IMO if anyone is made to look bad by this, it is the teams who refuse the home and home.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #537 on: November 01, 2010, 03:34:07 PM

agree to play other teams without demanding home and home scheduling

IMO if anyone is made to look bad by this, it is the teams who refuse the home and home.

Not really, considering nobody wants to fly all the way to Boise, play on their shitty field in their shitty stadium that holds less than half of the people that would show up to major conference game, and make absolutely nothing out of the deal. The national contenders have nothing to prove. Why in the world would they agree to anything Boise wanted to do in the middle of nowhere?

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #538 on: November 01, 2010, 03:43:06 PM

Exactly, in order to possibly get to start down the road to not being considered a second-class citizen, Boise State has to agree to be treated like... a second-class citizen. It is basically bullshit, and it makes the big programs look like they're scared to play them.

The Pac-10 seems to almost always do home-and-away games with non FCS schools, at least. Moral high ground yay?

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #539 on: November 01, 2010, 04:15:22 PM

Not really, considering nobody wants to fly all the way to Boise, play on their shitty field in their shitty stadium that holds less than half of the people that would show up to major conference game, and make absolutely nothing out of the deal. The national contenders have nothing to prove. Why in the world would they agree to anything Boise wanted to do in the middle of nowhere?

Well Lincoln is not exactly a hub of activity...just sayin'.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #540 on: November 01, 2010, 04:38:41 PM

It is basically the exact same argument that people make when they say a World Series is a bad one if it doesn't have the Yankees in it. Somehow two 11-0 teams playing each other is 'better' if they're the same teams every year than if new people show up.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #541 on: November 01, 2010, 06:07:27 PM

It is basically the exact same argument that people make when they say a World Series is a bad one if it doesn't have the Yankees in it. Somehow two 11-0 teams playing each other is 'better' if they're the same teams every year than if new people show up.

Those people are Yankees fans and the media. Nobody else says that, but at least the Yankees earn it when they get there.

Fans don't like Boise because they don't prove anything. In a sport where "every game matters" none of their games really matter. As soon as they beat Boise State, everyone in the country knew they were undefeated. They honestly could have just sat out the rest of the games and waited for the bowl season. It's a farce, and nobody believes they are worth a damn as a team until they grind it out with the big boys.

To the people that say it's not a fair situation, tough shit. Strap on your helmet, STFU, go play on someone's green turf, and kick their asses.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #542 on: November 02, 2010, 06:31:43 AM

I believe that Nebraska offered to play Boise in a home-and-home but was refused

I really don't want to hear any more whining about how Boise is getting screwed. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #543 on: November 02, 2010, 06:38:38 AM

I believe that Nebraska offered to play Boise in a home-and-home but was refused

I really don't want to hear any more whining about how Boise is getting screwed. 

Because Boise wants a home and home, not a 2 for 1. They think they've earned it.  Ohhhhh, I see.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #544 on: November 02, 2010, 06:52:25 AM

Texas played a game in Wyoming.  Ohio State will pretty much play anyone anywhere and so will Southern California.  I don't see Boise calling those schools up. 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #545 on: November 02, 2010, 07:06:21 AM

That's because Boise doesn't want to take more than one risk a season, and they want to get it out of the way early.

WayAbvPar

Reply #546 on: November 02, 2010, 08:31:18 AM

Because Boise wants a home and home, not a 2 for 1. They think they've earned it.  Ohhhhh, I see.

If you don't want them treated fairly, bitching when they object to being treated unfairly is fucking retarded.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #547 on: November 02, 2010, 08:32:37 AM

But THEY HAVE A BLUE FIELD! That alone proves they don't deserve to play at the top level.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #548 on: November 02, 2010, 11:19:33 AM

But THEY HAVE A BLUE FIELD! That alone proves they don't deserve to play at the top level.

You are correct.  A blue field puts them completely out of contention for any shred of respect. 
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #549 on: November 02, 2010, 11:21:01 AM

You are correct.  A blue field puts them completely out of contention for any shred of respect. 

Yes, because the players and coaches obviously chose that field.  swamp poop

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #550 on: November 02, 2010, 11:31:58 AM

If you don't want them treated fairly, bitching when they object to being treated unfairly is fucking retarded.

Why? They should realize that a 2 for 1 is fair. Hell, that's MORE than fair. Nebraska has an 81,000 person stadium that has the longest streak of sellouts in the country. They lose massive amounts of money when they agree to a road game in a podunk town with a division 2 capacity.

This anyone, anytime, anywhere bullshit Boise likes to espouse typically falls apart when anywhere means at home, and anyone means only those teams that agree to some form of tradeoff. Also, there are the circulating rumors that the deal collapsed when Boise wanted a $1M appearance fee to show up in Lincoln.  Ohhhhh, I see.

WayAbvPar

Reply #551 on: November 02, 2010, 11:33:16 AM

2 for 1 is fair

awesome, for real

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #552 on: November 02, 2010, 11:34:52 AM

2 for 1 is fair

awesome, for real

Face it, they have the inferior product. They need to offer up more to get the right value.

WayAbvPar

Reply #553 on: November 02, 2010, 11:37:50 AM

How is their product inferior? They beat everyone on their schedule, but don't want to disadvantage themselves by taking the short end of the stick from 'major' teams? That is fucking bulllshit. I am not even a fan of BSU- I am just of fan of pointing out the blatent hypocrisy and institutional advantages built into the system.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #554 on: November 02, 2010, 11:41:13 AM

How is their product inferior? They beat everyone on their schedule, but don't want to disadvantage themselves by taking the short end of the stick from 'major' teams? That is fucking bulllshit. I am not even a fan of BSU- I am just of fan of pointing out the blatent hypocrisy and institutional advantages built into the system.

Why is hypocrisy to expect that a team actually has to take on a challenge before it declares itself ready for the national championship game?

WayAbvPar

Reply #555 on: November 02, 2010, 12:08:18 PM

How is a home and away series not taking on a challenge? They can only play the schools that will schedule with them. I can't blame them for refusing to be held to a higher standard than everyone else.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #556 on: November 02, 2010, 12:40:40 PM

How is a home and away series not taking on a challenge? They can only play the schools that will schedule with them. I can't blame them for refusing to be held to a higher standard than everyone else.

Again, they had a very nice offer from Nebraska that they turned down.  And you don't hear about Boise trying to schedule with other bigger schools.  Paelos is right-  the onus is on Boise, not the BCS conference schools. 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #557 on: November 02, 2010, 12:41:33 PM

A 2 for 1 is not a "very nice" offer.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #558 on: November 02, 2010, 12:43:00 PM

It is for a school from a crappy conference with little history behind them.  Most schools from that conference wouldn't get the "for 1" part of the deal.

And no one really seems to have an answer for why we don't hear about Boise trying to schedule with other BCS schools.  I suspect it has never happened.  Again, Ohio State, Texas and USC seem up for playing just about anywhere.  Where are the offers from Boise? 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 12:44:37 PM by ghost »
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #559 on: November 02, 2010, 01:06:13 PM

Seriously, what the fuck should they expect? They play in the WAC, and they've been an FBS school for 14 years. They expect teams like Nebraska that have had a football program since 1890 to treat them like equals?

Are they high or just that obtuse/arrogant?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 01:08:03 PM by Paelos »

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 29 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2010 College Football  
Jump to: