Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 02:16:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Inty flying 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Inty flying  (Read 2102 times)
gimpyone
Terracotta Army

on: April 21, 2006, 07:39:11 PM

I can't seem to find a clear answer on the boards. Do I orbit or manually pilot around the target?  What's the best way to engage my enemy? 
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 07:55:34 PM

For larger ships:  Kick on the mwd, fly to orbit range, and turn mwd OFF or the sig will get you killed.  Orbit and fire at will; the plan is to use your transversal advantage to become as unhittable as post-baby Britney Spears .  Watch out for large missle boats that will pwn you while you charge in.  And webs.  And nos.   

Hot inty on inty action:  This is supposed to be as close to 'twitch' as eve gets, with strategy depending very much on what each person is flying and their setup.  A good pilot will do lots and lots of manual flying/direction changes. 

One of the main benefits of flying an inty is that you get to choose your fights.  Unless you get webbed, which means you're dead anyway, you can nearly always fly out of warp scrambling range very quickly.
gimpyone
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 09:13:37 PM

Can we play later?  If it's too twitchy then I may abandon ship.
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 05:58:55 AM

I should be around sunday
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 08:28:31 AM

You orbit the ship at optimal range and keep the MWD going. Turrets will miss you, and an inty is fast enough to outrun missiles enough so that they do worthless amounts of damage. You'll be fucked if someone webs you, though.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 09:45:34 AM

Or Noses you, so you can't use the MWD.

Actually I had a fun fight in an inty today. I'm caught up in convos, so I'm just sitting at a 0.4 gate, doing nothing. This pirate domi shows up and heads straight for me, I haven't seen it yet. It rams into me, webs me, scarmbles me, noses me and launches the drones. Ok I see you know Domi and I know I'm dead. What do I do? I target the drones. With  a ton of help from the turrets I kill two small groups and one medium group. By that time, his tank is close to braking from the turrets pounding at him. He starts to turn to warp away. Oh, no you don't. Good thing I was pvping earlier, 'cause I have two 2 point scramblers. Stay Domi. I can feel him panicking as he tries to brake and run away. He was down to 1/3 armor when one scrambler couldn't reactivate because I didn't have cap and he managed to warp away. Damn. Would've been fun if I managed to keep him long enough for the turrets to kill him.

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
Leon
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 08:13:29 AM

Greetings,
I've been checking part of these forums during our BI-F13/BGO war as part of intelligence gathering so you'll prolly remember me as that annoying Crow pilot.

Talked to Ca'adwin Shin yesterday and told him I'd help out with Crow tactics / setups and etc. Contact me in-game and I'll help ya out.

-Leon 026, BL-IN

gimpyone
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 10:31:03 AM

Hey Leon, thanks for stopping by.  This is Cadwin.  I'm just gonna have to work on my angles of approach and getting my cap recharge skills up.  Ity makes me think I shoulda stuck with bigger ships.
Leon
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 12:57:15 PM

Heyas,

Just to give you an idea on the various skills that'll be useful :

-- Electronics --
Electronics 5
Long range targeting 2+
Propulsion Jamming 2+
Signature Analysis 2+ (the higher the better)
Targeting 2

-- Engineering --
Energy Management 4
Engineering 5
Energy Systems Operation 3+

-- Gunnery if Claw, Missiles if Crow --
You want specialization 4 for whichever weapon system you plan to use all the time

-- Leadership --
Skirmish Warfare 3 (very useful in inty gangs)

-- Navigation --
Acceleration Control 4
Afterburner 4 (if you use ABs)
Evasive Maneuvering 5
High speed maneuvering 3
Navigation 5

-- Spaceship Command --
Frigate 5
Interceptors 4

Getting hull upgrades, mechanic, shield management etc will increase overall ship hp. You also want energy management (included on list) to increase capacitor amount and allow you to use MAPCs which are very useful for interceptors in general.

Depending on the job, you can mount damage mods, cap relays, nanofibers, MAPCs, 200mm / 400mm plate, energized armor resistance etc needed for whatever you plan to do. Unless you plan on doing 1v1 dogfighting, I would personally suggest against a damage mod since DPS isnt exactly what an inty is there for (although important). Each person have their own flying style so I cant tell you the "do's and do nots" because chances are my ship setup wouldnt work for you at all due to my flying style.

If you have money to spare, I would suggest in getting a Catalyzed Arc-Jet thruster (+525%) over the regular MWD (+500%). They cost about 2mil in The Forge region, and if you really have the need for speed and money to use, a Gistii A-type MWD.

As for approach, if the enemy already has you targeted, then zig-zagging towards it at an angle to maintain high velocity is most important, if the enemy is surprised and hasnt targetted you yet, flying dead on will save you valuable seconds and give you that extra distance to tackle.

IMO, stick to interceptors for PvP and get the larger ships to make money. Once you taste what dogfighting is like, you'll be hooked, and you can pull off some insane stunts while in the interceptor :)

-Leon
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 01:06:30 PM by Leon »

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006, 01:20:44 PM

Hi Leon,

Thanks for the tips on inty's. Would you recommend similiar tactics with a T2 Frigate like a Harpy? Or are they typically used for sniping?

- Viin
Leon
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 23, 2006, 01:57:24 PM

Harpy's a whole different class altogether. I'll just use modern military analogy to give a better image.

Interceptor's are like F-18/A multi-role fighters that are used for interception (tackling) and bombing runs (fighting a BS)
Assault Frigates are more along the lines of an AH-64 Apache gunship. Slow, hard to kill, but pack a nasty punch to slow moving / stationary targets

Not the best analogy, but should give you an idea on the difference of their uses.

The fundemental problem with Harpies, is that although they are technically sniper ships, they work awesome with 150mm IIs and antimatter.... but thats sometimes a little too close for comfort.  A harpy with a tracking comp, sensor booster, and Spike S on the 150mm IIs will make a NASTY interceptor killer. Put one at 60-80km away from the enemy frig fleet, and let'er rip..... but the cost, is that you'll end up getting swarmed and being seperated from your own fleet. A harpy however, should in theory work well with interceptor gangs. I've never used my Harpy in a corp interceptor gang so I cant tell you first hand (since I'm an inty pilot firt, AF pilot second), but they do bring needed firepower to create those legends of 3 frigates taking down lone battleships - its possible and I've taken part in them.

The major area where the Harpy suffers is the balance of Tank : DPS. While an afterburner isnt necessarily needed, it helps heep up a high transversial, but be it noted, that any cruiser with a MWD and a medium nos will utterly destroy your harpy. Thorax > Harpy unless you are packing a small nos of your own, which may gimp your overall setup unless you use 125mm IIs. Also is the largely painful 0% EM resistance. The other race's AFs suffer less because they get decent armor resists across the board and can easily cover them up with armor hardeners, but in the case of Caldari ships, med slots are needed for shield boosting, tanking, webbing, AB, tracking comps, sensor boosts, warp scrams, etc.

So long as you dont become a primary target, Harpy's are absolutely deadly to enemy cruisers and frigates, as well as helping out the fleet by taking out enemy drones. But as soon as you become targetted, you'll grow to dislike the overall "heavy" feel to it (compared to flying a paper-thin interceptor) and its overall lack of agility (again, compared to an inty. If you compare it to a cruiser, its awesome). Its overall an awesome frigate, packing the firepower of a cruiser in the size of a frigate, but it lacks in agility to make it really stand out. Adding a gistii booster will give the Harpy an even more ridiculous tank, which sets it apart from the other race's assault frigs, but you're looking at a 65-70mil isk investment. I'm personally not too much of a fan of Harpies. but I know that some people on the forums are able to totally prove me wrong - its just not my ship like the Crow is to me.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #11 on: April 23, 2006, 04:06:18 PM

An Inty that catches a rat-hunter BS well away from support can basically nibble it to death unless someone comes along to help, happens every day in 0.0.  They tend to die to AF's and to Q-Ships (T2 haulers that have been configured for combat, with scramblers and paired named webbers), or getting trapped at gate-camps.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Inty flying  
Jump to: