Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 04:02:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Super Newbie 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Super Newbie  (Read 58041 times)
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #70 on: August 22, 2010, 08:15:51 AM

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: August 22, 2010, 09:03:52 AM

You want a newbie's guid to Eve?  So happens I got your newbies guide to Eve right here; Poluketes and I just finished updating it for the current situation:

http://cdn.goonfleet.com/newbies/newbieguide.pdf

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: August 22, 2010, 09:15:04 AM

You want a newbie's guid to Eve?  So happens I got your newbies guide to Eve right here; Poluketes and I just finished updating it for the current situation:

That file is giving me a lot of problems when viewed in a browser, embedded fonts missing, image data. I updated to the latest reader and still the same. Seems to be ok if downloaded fully and opened directly.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #73 on: August 22, 2010, 12:37:45 PM

In the end, you'll probably be happier if you choose to go with Minmatar ships.  They require slightly broader skill training than other races, but they have no real deficiencies and are the best at a lot of things.

You mean Minnies aren't the joke fleet anymore? Man it HAS been a while since I played.  It used to be said they were only good for their HAC, IIRC.   Man, I might have to return.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #74 on: August 22, 2010, 01:03:35 PM

Hurricane is arguably "best of class" (as mentioned, the Drake has better survivability), Sabre is unquestionably the best of the dictors (unless it's a major fleet action, then you want cheap like the Eris), the AF's and BS hold their own.  Their carriers/supercarriers kind of suck, though.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: August 22, 2010, 01:39:05 PM

Thanks for the PM Sir T, the link Stabs, and Endei: I'm getting the same errors as numtini on that newbie guide :(
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #76 on: August 22, 2010, 02:08:45 PM

Wherever Minmatar aren't the best at a job, they're one of them.  Pretty much every single T2 hull is useful in some situation, and their capitals are highly regarded now.  Forget what Mahrin said, the Minmatar carrier is actually pretty good.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: August 22, 2010, 02:13:58 PM

Thanks for the PM Sir T, the link Stabs, and Endei: I'm getting the same errors as numtini on that newbie guide :(
Rightclick, save as, open as a normal pdf-file. Works fine.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: August 22, 2010, 02:25:16 PM

Wherever Minmatar aren't the best at a job, they're one of them.  Pretty much every single T2 hull is useful in some situation, and their capitals are highly regarded now.  Forget what Mahrin said, the Minmatar carrier is actually pretty good.

The only reason it was looked at with suspicion is that it has a bonus to repair rate but not repair capacitor need. This combined with its lower capacitor means it can be run out of capacitor faster, but in a fleet fight it can be argued you want as much repair coming in as you can.

Aside from that, comparing the Nidgogger with the Thanatos you have less drone space, more shield, less armor and more structure. Its basically a wash and no reason to sneer at it.

Hic sunt dracones.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #79 on: August 22, 2010, 03:22:02 PM

Well, the Nidhoggur's bonus now is to repair amount.  So it has an identical slot layout to the Thanatos and makes a better remote-repairer, but has 12.5k less HP as you mentioned.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: August 22, 2010, 03:28:13 PM

Hurricane is arguably "best of class" (as mentioned, the Drake has better survivability), Sabre is unquestionably the best of the dictors (unless it's a major fleet action, then you want cheap like the Eris), the AF's and BS hold their own.  Their carriers/supercarriers kind of suck, though.

--Dave

Minmatar are best carriers now.

Supercarrier sucks though.

None of this really matters if you are starting training right now, because by the time you are flying the highest level ships, CCP will have nerfed and boosted half the ships in EVE and the meta game will be completely different.  

But best...

Frigates : Minmatar
Ceptors : Amarr/Minmatar/Gallente
Covops : Minmatar
Bombers : Minmatar/Anything really
Dictors : Minmatar (best) / Amarr (15 Million cheaper)
Cruisers : Minmatar
HACs : Amarr/Minmatar
HICs : Amarr/Minmatar
Recons : Situational
Shield Logistics : Minmatar/Caldari
Armour Logistics : Amarr
Battlecruisers : Minmatar/Amarr/Caldari
Fleet BS : Amarr/Caldari
PvE ships : Caldari
Suicide Gank ships : Minmatar
Carriers : Minmatar
Dreadnaughts : Caldari
Supercarriers : Gallente (omg)
Titan : Amarr

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: August 22, 2010, 04:35:09 PM

These discussions of carrier bonuses are especially pertinent for a thread entitled "super newbie"

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #82 on: August 22, 2010, 04:44:06 PM

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #83 on: August 22, 2010, 10:33:25 PM

I think I will go ahead and credit myself for the influx of new players to -BAT-.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: August 23, 2010, 12:10:46 AM

The key point newbies should take from this discussion is to train Caldari if your long term wish is to fly t2 drakes and satisfy the temporary whim of the directorate, or train Minmatar if you are edgy and enjoy fun.

Also none of it really matters because you can cross train in a month (especially now that nobody uses battleships).

There is a 30 day plan on the wiki that has you doing useful shit in 6 different ships you should probably consider before committing to any long term direction.

Edit: actually, the real key point is train whatever you like, this isn't wow, you aren't committing to stare at a rage meter or set of health bar every day for the next two years. Nothing is set in stone. But do look at that 30 day skill plan on the goon wiki.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 10:43:25 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: August 23, 2010, 12:27:29 AM

Drakes have some massive advantages for noobies irregardless of goon strategy. They're really tolerant in terms of fitting skills, they're tolerant of encounter range, they're excellent for ratting in goonhome (having an income is nice) and they're perfectly acceptable on fleet ops with pretty much the same fit as you PvE in (something not true of canes). The monstrous tank also means you have a fair amount of time to run if you're facing more than you can handle.

Though if I wanted to make sure I was on a kill-mail then you want a hurricane... and guns are also a bit more satisfying. Watching your missiles slowly floating towards the enemy doesn't match the "bang - pop" of a hurricane taking out a frigate.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: August 23, 2010, 05:38:40 AM

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: August 23, 2010, 06:44:47 AM

I think I will go ahead and credit myself for the influx of new players to -BAT-.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

I'd blame Endie's post for my return, though if you influenced that post then grats to you sir!

I'm sure he could care less  why so serious?
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: August 23, 2010, 07:46:16 AM

Once I can see through the tears...

Though I am impressed that the syntactic squabbling has its own wikipedia page

- Simond
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: August 23, 2010, 12:53:55 PM

Quick question since people have mentioned Minny ships.  Is arty still inferior to AC's?  I remember when I played arty was considered only good for high damage alpha, and only against ships smaller than a BC.  Is that still the case or has arty improved at all?
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: August 23, 2010, 12:56:26 PM

Arty got boosted. It's the best alpha by a long shot  Rimshot
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #91 on: August 23, 2010, 03:29:37 PM

Quick question since people have mentioned Minny ships.  Is arty still inferior to AC's?  I remember when I played arty was considered only good for high damage alpha, and only against ships smaller than a BC.  Is that still the case or has arty improved at all?

Whats arty?

Also, why do people call Alpha, Alpha? Why not call it Burst? Is there a difference?
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #92 on: August 23, 2010, 03:41:23 PM

Originally a Navy term for throwing every available aircraft into the same attack, picked up in Multi-Player Battletech to describe firing all weapons at once (so optimizing your Alpha meant using slow-cycling weapons for maximum impact, then dodging while waiting for them to recycle).  If there's only going to be time for a couple of weapon cycles before a target is destroyed, slow cycling weapons will "pre-load" more damage.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #93 on: August 23, 2010, 03:43:59 PM

You want a newbie's guid to Eve?  So happens I got your newbies guide to Eve right here; Poluketes and I just finished updating it for the current situation:

*reads and ponders*

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #94 on: August 23, 2010, 04:22:05 PM

Arty = Artillery, the long-range projectile weapons used by Minmatar and Angel ships.  The best volley damage in the game, but suffering from a very low rate of fire.  They're great in highly laggy situations where there's a long delay between volleys anyway, and for suicide ganking where you only have 10-15 seconds to kill the target.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #95 on: August 23, 2010, 07:04:20 PM

Merusk's christmas present:

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #96 on: August 23, 2010, 07:37:57 PM

Getting hacked.. the gift that keeps on giving.

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: August 23, 2010, 07:45:20 PM

The Hacker earnt that for you? nice!

- Simond
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #98 on: August 23, 2010, 07:57:01 PM

Yeah it is. 

Of course, the problem with a ship like that is after 2 years away you're too damn paranoid to undock.  I was mentally convinced that going anywhere in it, even a .8 system, I was a big, juicy target saying "Blow-up my Isk, make me cry."

I've read too many of Slayerik's gank threads.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #99 on: August 23, 2010, 08:01:58 PM

I am going to make a poster like Mulder had in X-files. Only I am going to shop an Eve Battleship in and under, the words: I want to UNDERSTAND.   why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: August 23, 2010, 08:29:10 PM

The number of ships required to down something like that in high-sec before getting concorded would make you a pretty unlikely target. Barring doing something daft like wandering around with a cargo-hold full of plex's :)

There's a scary number of really pimped out mission ships in empire.

- Simond
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: August 23, 2010, 10:18:53 PM

Quick question.  What is considered the "better" HAC for Minmatar these days?  It used to be a Vaga's, I believe.  Someone mentioned Vaga's are more for small gangs while Muninn's are better suited for fleets now.   
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: August 24, 2010, 04:30:58 AM

The Vagabond is an up-close, hit you in the face then run away kind of guy, while the Muninn beats you with a 12-foot pole and you can't do anything.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #103 on: August 24, 2010, 06:10:07 AM

The number of ships required to down something like that in high-sec before getting concorded would make you a pretty unlikely target. Barring doing something daft like wandering around with a cargo-hold full of plex's :)

There's a scary number of really pimped out mission ships in empire.

Like 5 or 6. Not sure what Hakim's is worth, but quite the gift! If you guys find the ships, we'll kill them and make millions BILLIONS!

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: August 24, 2010, 06:26:01 AM

Or watch as everything that's worth anything is destroyed when he dies, and you make nothing. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Super Newbie  
Jump to: