Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 10:34:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Voodoolily's Snacktastic Recipe Thread!! 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Voodoolily's Snacktastic Recipe Thread!!  (Read 531978 times)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #140 on: June 22, 2007, 06:34:17 PM

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: June 23, 2007, 06:00:50 AM

Look!  Signe is going to eat this undead threads braaaiiinnnnns.

See what happens when you resurrect dead threads?  The zombies start salivating.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #142 on: June 25, 2007, 06:36:40 AM

I made some great kebabs this weekend, cooked out for my mother. Although I can't stop calling them ke-bAAbs since watching an episode of the Conchords.

I forget the actual recipe, I grabbed it from my girlfriend's Weight Watchers cookbook, which has some great stuff. It was a Korean recipe, and I had to make a ton of changes because the only place I could get groceries was stupid walmart. So...chipotle + adobo for chipotle paste, skirt for flank (tenderer but hard to skewer), etc. Ginger, scallions, garlic, honey, sugar, soy sauce, cider vinegar, chipotle paste for the marinade. Marinade two hours, skewer, grill. Boil and reduce the remaining marinade and pour over finished kebabs.

Also made something out of Batali's nascar cookbook, pork scallopini skewers. Pound out pork loins (scaring the hell out of mom's kitties!), salt and pepper. Fill with a pat of butter, capers, parsley, parmesan/reggiano, maybe something else I'm forgetting, roll up and skewer, grill.

Grilled some red bell peppers, remove skin, serve plain. Nice balance to the spicy meats (I got heavy-handed with the pepper on the pork, but I like it that way). Also served some brocolli with chipotle/cumin butter to complete the smoky flavored meal.\

Good times.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #143 on: June 25, 2007, 10:14:43 AM

Fuh.  I'm rather minimalist these days.

Tilapia.  Kosher salt.  Black pepper (grind it yourself, slacker).  Heat pan, mediumish.  Add olive oil.  Add fish.
Another pan.  Heat not as mediumish.  Tiny bit of oil.  Tortilla.  Fold it in half when you take it out.
Combine both when done.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: June 25, 2007, 12:32:26 PM

I was on vacation :) I'm much more minimalist for everyday cooking. A bit less than you, though, Yeg.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #145 on: June 25, 2007, 01:38:54 PM

I do that partly because I have to fight my wife's rigorous adherance to the recipe as if it was federal law code, also I can't keep every spice ever made in my cabinets.  Also I want to hurry up with the cooking.  I made something she picked out once and just left out some stuff I did not have, like dill and mustard seed, and she was perturbed.  She did admit that it was tasty.

I am fairly encouraged by my recent salt+pepper run (the salt+pepper steaks were a huge hit with Killjoy), but something else I did that turned out pretty nice was cedar-plank salmon.  I had, fortunately, slathered on a protective coating of (forgotten) sauce since my grill turned the plank to ash except for directly underneath the fish.  The sauce carbonized but the fish was fine.  I might give that a try with just salt+pepper if I can figure out how to do it without incinerating the fish.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: June 25, 2007, 01:53:47 PM

I'd be screwed if I had to follow recipes rigidly. I'm always substituting things (aka forgetting to buy them). Or I take one recipe and then see how many ways I can bend it around in a week, alter a white wine sauce to red wine, make a pork dish with chicken, etc.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: June 25, 2007, 02:04:52 PM

I am fairly encouraged by my recent salt+pepper run (the salt+pepper steaks were a huge hit with Killjoy), but something else I did that turned out pretty nice was cedar-plank salmon.  I had, fortunately, slathered on a protective coating of (forgotten) sauce since my grill turned the plank to ash except for directly underneath the fish.  The sauce carbonized but the fish was fine.  I might give that a try with just salt+pepper if I can figure out how to do it without incinerating the fish.

Did you soak the plank in water for a couple of hours first?  Also, don't put the plank directly over the fire/coals.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #148 on: June 25, 2007, 02:18:46 PM

Soaked for at least one hour, but my grill is rather overpowered.  Where would I be putting the plank?

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: June 25, 2007, 02:49:42 PM

Soaked for at least one hour, but my grill is rather overpowered.  Where would I be putting the plank?

Somewhere constant.

voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #150 on: June 25, 2007, 04:55:38 PM

Where would I be putting the plank?

Seriously? It takes the strength of every fibre of my being not to tell you where you should put the plank.  :-D

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: June 25, 2007, 11:48:32 PM

If this is a gas grill, fire up one side/set of burners only and put the fish-laden wood over the part that's not lit and/or tone down the gas control if it's still burning the plank to ash.  For charcoal ones, just move the charcoal to one side and put the food on the other.  You may need to rotate the planks during cooking in this scenario since one side will be closer to direct radiated heat, but you'll be able to avoid turning the plank to cinders.  Vary the proximity to the coals/fire if it's not cooking fast enough or too fast.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 11:53:27 PM by MisterNoisy »

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #152 on: June 26, 2007, 08:31:59 AM

Genius in its simplicity.

Also: Har har.  And VDL was funnier.

voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #153 on: June 26, 2007, 06:48:44 PM

I WIN.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Pococurante
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: July 01, 2007, 04:49:45 PM

Chipotle recipe you like?  We're getting hammered by global warming in Texas - last time I saw this much rainfall in the Lower Continental Bison Drainoff was the Isla Del Sol Lake Titicaca failure of 0981 CE.  My garden is growing like Seattle in July - I can't compost peppers fast enough.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: July 02, 2007, 11:47:19 AM

I almost wouldn't mind a hurricane right now.  The rain would slow down as the bands pass over. undecided

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #156 on: July 02, 2007, 11:51:35 AM

Chipotle recipe you like?  We're getting hammered by global warming in Texas - last time I saw this much rainfall in the Lower Continental Bison Drainoff was the Isla Del Sol Lake Titicaca failure of 0981 CE.  My garden is growing like Seattle in July - I can't compost peppers fast enough.

If I had a surplus of peppers (I wish!!) I would prolly just roast and freeze them in ziplocks. If you roast then stick them in a bowl with a lid for a few minutes, the steam helps the plastic-y skins just slide off, and then you can pull the stem and seeds out and you have lovely roasted peppers ready for any soup or sauce!

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #157 on: July 25, 2007, 10:52:17 PM

VDL's reference to her Wellington recipie on page two in another thread made me go back and reread this whole thing. I'm suddenly oddly intrigued by Jimbo's slow cooker brat/kraut/apple/bacon monstrosity on page four. Thing is, I can't figure out how you are meant to cook it exactly. Slowcooker style over several hours, or on high for a shorter stretch? I have a fear of cooking brats wrong and having them explode over my kitchen.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: July 26, 2007, 06:55:57 AM

That's what lids are for!
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: July 26, 2007, 11:58:44 AM

You shouldn't be cooking kids anyways, no matter how unruly they get.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: July 26, 2007, 01:04:47 PM

Well, there goes my mental image of you as the wicked witch of the west.  undecided

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #161 on: July 26, 2007, 01:24:08 PM

One does not have to be under a predetermined age to be considered a brat.  tongue

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #162 on: July 26, 2007, 03:47:23 PM

Who wants to eat an old brat?  They are tough and have no juice.

hal
Terracotta Army

Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Reply #163 on: July 26, 2007, 06:52:01 PM

Porchetta or dago pork roast

1 can black olives
garlic ( i like a lot)
rosemary

Toss in blender until it is a paste and coat 1 pork roast. Bake as usual and enjoy the most juicy piece of pork ever.

Will spin your head around if you do a skinned chicken. But skinning a whole chicken is a bother and a half. Oh well...Who said good food was easy... Double extra bonus points if you stuff the chicken with fennel root ( well it ain't a root but you know what I mean... not the seed)

If you are ever temped to roast lamb please remember this recipe.

/thread

I started with nothing, and I still have most of it

I'm not a complete idiot... Some parts are still on backorder.
schild
Administrator

Reply #164 on: July 26, 2007, 06:56:21 PM

Ugh. Olives. Black. Olives. Ugh.
hal
Terracotta Army

Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Reply #165 on: July 26, 2007, 07:14:46 PM

I am betting you do not tan worth a shit.

I started with nothing, and I still have most of it

I'm not a complete idiot... Some parts are still on backorder.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #166 on: July 26, 2007, 07:45:12 PM

You don't need the olives if you don't want them.  We never did.  My mother would make porchetta as a special dish for family gatherings now and then.  She always used a boned suckling pig, which a lot of Italians insist on, and she would roll it so the herbs cook inside the pig.  It really does make a big difference.  She used a bit of fennel, peperoncino, rosemary, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and corriander and rubbed olive oil into the skin to make it crunchy.  If you have an outdoor kitchen (my grandmother did) you can spit roast which is lovely.  It's so tender it literally melts in your mouth.  You serve it between bread like a sandwich. 

Unfortunately, most people don't have ovens that'll hold a suckling pig so Hal's version... or something in between... is a good alternative.  Stuffing the roast with the herbs, however, really does make it taste incredibly wonderlicious.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #167 on: July 26, 2007, 08:09:15 PM

Black olives are good.  Kalamata olives are awesome.

voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #168 on: July 26, 2007, 08:53:49 PM

I am betting you do not tan worth a shit.

He is an Italian Jew. As far as he's concerned, olive is the color of his skin, not a food.  wink

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #169 on: July 26, 2007, 09:07:53 PM

I have been jonesing for bibimbop (Korean rice bowl) a lot lately, and have cooked it twice this week already. Since I am lucky enough to live near a Korean grocery w/deli case, I can cheat a little and buy kimchee and pickled bellflower root already prepared, so the rest is incredibly easy.

Bibimbop (instructional only)

Cook some sticky rice. Saute some veg - I use zucchini because my garden is asploding with it, bean sprouts, and a combo of onion/green onion. Mushrooms are also nice. Saute each veg separately to maintain the integrity of each flavor. Season each with some combination of soy sauce, garlic, ginger, sesame oil/seeds, rice vinegar and mirin (sweet cooking wine). Grill or saute some bulgogi (thinly sliced steak marinated in ginger, soy sauce and sesame oil - Korean store and/or Trader Joe's sells this beef already seasoned. You can also use pork).

Put sticky rice in a good-sized bowl. Top with kimchee, bellflower (sometimes labeled by its Latin name Platycodon), sauteed veg, bulgogi and a blob of gochu jang (it's like chili sesame miso paste and is amazingly tasty). Then top it all with an egg fried over easy. The yolk will run into the hot rice and make yummy little nuggets of golden goo.

You can make this vegetarian by simply omitting the bulgogi. Koreans typically make bibimbop as a way to use up leftovers.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: July 27, 2007, 06:58:05 AM

The word bellflower still makes me quake at times.

I was going to say that that dish sounds a lot like a generic leftover dish I'd make :) I'm no chef, but I can make some ....good eats!
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: July 27, 2007, 08:13:31 PM

The word bellflower still makes me quake at times.

Not to derail, but...

Hey! At least there you were bordered by Downey and Cerritos instead of Lynwood and Huntington Park :(.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #172 on: August 07, 2007, 06:20:40 PM

I tried out something on a whim tonight that turned out rather kickass.

Fried apple wontons.

Take two of your favorite apple (med. to large size), I prefer granny smith or Fiji, I used the Fijis this time. Anyway, take the apples, cut out the core or use a handy core-er. Then slice them super thin. Take those slices and chop them down into bits. In a medium saucepan, melt 2 tbsp of butter, then add in about a handfull (two TBSP? no idea) of brown sugar. Blend that well, then add in your apple pieces. Over medium heat, stir it all to coat the apples, then add a splash of apple juice,also sprinkle in some ground cinnamon. Cook that until the apples are medium soft (not pie filling soft, but not hard), then let it cool a bit. Break out some wonton wrappers, use a spoon to fill them, and fold them per the instructions on the package. Drop the wontons into hot oil and fry them. This shouldn't take more than two minutes at most, so be careful, burning them == teh suck.

I did not use confectioner's sugar/powdered sugar to top them, but that would have ruled.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #173 on: August 07, 2007, 08:00:10 PM

Did you get that recipe from the Pocket Pie episode of Good Eats?

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #174 on: August 07, 2007, 08:26:17 PM

btw, I just ate some stellar crab cake burgers which I made from scratch!!

Crab Cake Burgers with Remoulade (serves 2 hungry mofos)

Make the remoulade first.

Remoulade:

3 egg yolks
2 tbsp lemon juice or white wine vinegar (but you'll need the lemon anyway for the zest, so pony up)
1 tsp lemon zest
fat pinch kosher salt
crack pepper
1 tsp dijon mustard
~1 1/2 c olive oil

Whisk together all but the olive oil. Then, while whisking, slowly drizzle in the oil. Whisk these ingredients in a stainless steel, glass or ceramic bowl (NOT aluminum or copper). Also, you can totally use a whisk, but after 5 minutes your arms will hurt and you'll bust out the electric mixer. You want it pretty creamy and emulsified, but it will not resemble store-bought mayo yet, more like salad dressing. STOP when it is pretty creamy and silky-looking with a nice golden sheen. Now nestle the bowl over a pot of boiling water and whisk constantly until it reaches the nice mayo-ey thickness. You have just made a classic Zabaione. This is one of the great French sauces and can be easily turned into a number of sauces. To turn it into Remoulade, add the following ingredients:

1 tbsp capers, drained, rinsed and chopped
2 tbsp minced parsley
1 tbsp minced cornichons or dill pickle
2 cloves garlic, minced
pinch sweet chili flake
pinch sugar
what the hell, a little more lemon zest if you think it needs it
S&P to taste

Stir it together and this is god on your crab cake burger. It is also amazing dip for french fries, fried calamari, or instead of mayo in tuna salad. Fuck, you can eat it with a spoon if you're not watching your cholesterol.

If you are an ig'nunt, lazy sonnofabitch then just use mayo with the lemon juice, herbs and other chunky bits.

Crab Cakes:

2 cups lump dungeness crab meat (which I picked clean MYSELF!!)
1 egg
2 tbsp minced shallot
1/2 tsp lemon zest
2 tbsp minced parsely
2 tbsp + 1/2 c cracker crumbs (just take some leftover crackers and blitz them in the Magimix)
pinch kosher salt
cracks o' pepper
pinch of chili flake (I use Korean sweet chili flake)
1/3 c veg oil (or some other mild oil that can withstand high temps like peanut or canola)

Mix all ingredients (except the 1/2 c of cracker crumbs) gently in a bowl with a fork, breaking up the larger lumps of crab into flakes. Divide into two. Form into nice fat patties ~1 inch thick and ~4 inches in diameter. Coat in the 1/2 c of crackers crumbs and fry in a medium saucier, 4 minutes on each side until golden brown.  I use a lid to partially cover the pan, minimizing oil spatter and ensuring the patties are thoroughly heated in the middle.

Place patty on toased wheat bun that has been generously slathered with remoulade, and top with nice baby greens. You got served, motherfucker.

btw, the remoulade is only good for two days, kept fridged. Eat it up!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 08:28:59 PM by voodoolily »

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 52 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Voodoolily's Snacktastic Recipe Thread!!  
Jump to: