Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 12:34:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Any speech writers here? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Any speech writers here?  (Read 9947 times)
Nightshade
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: March 15, 2009, 04:03:54 PM

It'll be epic if he's not a big pussy.

Lol!  Damn it, peer pressure.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: March 15, 2009, 08:55:51 PM

Whatever you do, write it down and then go over it a couple of times in front of the mirror.

It helps a lot. It also allows you to find the places where ad libbing will fit in best :D (especially if it needs "approval" first).

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: March 15, 2009, 10:40:38 PM

Whatever you do don't make it some uplifting tripe about how your generation is going to change the world.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
schild
Administrator

Reply #38 on: March 16, 2009, 01:01:40 AM

Seriously, cuz our generation ain't going to be around to fix all the things the baby boomers fucked up.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #39 on: March 16, 2009, 05:23:01 AM

Whatever you do don't make it some uplifting tripe about how your generation is going to change the world.

Then he shouldn't post his speech awesome, for real
schild
Administrator

Reply #40 on: March 16, 2009, 07:35:59 AM

Did he really write about that sort of thing? What a dick.

Edit: Seriously, a once in a lifetime opportunity to address an entire graduating body, fucking give it to them straight. Don't lie. Though, I suppose it takes a special kind of societal sycophant to become the valedictorian, so maybe I'm way off base and you really believe that shit.
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: March 16, 2009, 10:00:03 AM

Edit: Seriously, a once in a lifetime opportunity to address an entire graduating body, fucking give it to them straight. Don't lie.

So much to talk about... Cleaning up mess Baby boomers left us, while working for 70+ year old senile and drooling boss because most of BB will be working well into their retirement since they lived on borrowed money.

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #42 on: March 16, 2009, 10:16:15 AM

I can't wait for Reg to find this thread.   why so serious?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #43 on: March 18, 2009, 09:09:41 AM

Edit: Seriously, a once in a lifetime opportunity to address an entire graduating body, fucking give it to them straight. Don't lie. Though, I suppose it takes a special kind of societal sycophant to become the valedictorian, so maybe I'm way off base and you really believe that shit.

You know he will. Elections were won on those kind of speeches. As someone who graduated from a Masters in 2008 and is still unemployed though, I'm with you. I'd tell them we're totally boned.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #44 on: March 18, 2009, 12:01:25 PM

Masters in? Sometimes a masters can be like a degree in psych.
chargerrich
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: March 18, 2009, 12:05:26 PM

Follow it up with, "Filibusters through history: A Journey". Hell just read that title and see who decides to run before someone locks the doors.

Most Awesome... you have won this thread Thumbs up!
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #46 on: March 18, 2009, 03:21:05 PM

Masters in? Sometimes a masters can be like a degree in psych.

Accounting

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #47 on: March 19, 2009, 05:48:42 PM

Accounting

Oh, well then, I have no words for why you're jobless. Come be Canadian!
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #48 on: March 19, 2009, 11:45:02 PM

Accounting

Oh, well then, I have no words for why you're jobless. Come be Canadian!

In short, because most public accounting firms are laying off more people, and they can get almost free labor from interns who do the same work as first years. At this point, I would love to be Canadian if they could pay me and I wouldn't have to live in some god-awful province.

Nightshade
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: March 20, 2009, 06:13:51 AM

I'm very hurt by your words
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: March 20, 2009, 06:23:10 AM

Graduating first in your class does take a special kind of maturity and work ethic and certainly deserves some praise.  As long as people don't get caught in the trap that good grades = smart, I'm fine with it.  Good grades = Good at being a student.  If we stick to calling it what it is, then it's all good. 

Maybe that's the topic for your talk.  Valedictorian = excels at being a student.  Intellect will be defined by the number of new ideas you bring to the world.  Anyone can rehash old ideas.  It's what you create in your lifetime that defines you. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
schild
Administrator

Reply #51 on: March 20, 2009, 06:33:35 AM

Graduating first in your class does take a special kind of maturity and work ethic and certainly deserves some praise.  As long as people don't get caught in the trap that good grades = smart, I'm fine with it.  Good grades = Good at being a student.  If we stick to calling it what it is, then it's all good. 

Maybe that's the topic for your talk.  Valedictorian = excels at being a student.  Intellect will be defined by the number of new ideas you bring to the world.  Anyone can rehash old ideas.  It's what you create in your lifetime that defines you. 

YEA, THAT SPEECH HAS NEVER BEEN DONE.

Edit: I think this is the first time in the history of f13 I've poked at Nebu in 2 threads. It feels... weird.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #52 on: March 20, 2009, 07:11:31 AM

There's a reason that nobody remembers their valedictorian's speech. Schild pretty much nailed why. Most of them are self-serving crap or idyllic fantasy "we are the future" crap.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: March 20, 2009, 08:12:52 AM

YEA, THAT SPEECH HAS NEVER BEEN DONE.

Edit: I think this is the first time in the history of f13 I've poked at Nebu in 2 threads. It feels... weird.

I can take it. 

I don't know about what has been done and how often.  I've never gone to any of my graduations.  I think graduations are a waste of time.  Give me my paper and let me get on with my life, thank you very much.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
schild
Administrator

Reply #54 on: March 20, 2009, 08:25:39 AM

This is the only good graduation related thing ever:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wear_Sunscreen

No college grad will ever write anything that good. My suggestion, let us hack apart your speech. You may be surprised at the results.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Any speech writers here?  
Jump to: