Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 03:53:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 18 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2138929 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #8015 on: July 21, 2011, 01:58:43 AM

A lot of overreaction going on in that article.

New games in the UK are often priced at 40GBP, 45 is above average but not earthshattering.

Saving any potential outrage until I know the full subscription and RMT plan.

I doubt I will bother to preorder. I don't really go in for preordering mass produced junk that will be easily available upon release.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #8016 on: July 21, 2011, 02:00:16 AM

I preorder because I like headstarts so I can get my names and junk.  The extra few bucks is way worth it for me.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #8017 on: July 21, 2011, 02:04:35 AM

Personally, I'm starting to question paying full price for any game. EA just adds special shenanigans to the mix, presumably to be a dick.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #8018 on: July 21, 2011, 02:08:13 AM

Wait, what? People are paying above launch day rrp in order to pay *in advance*?

My mind is blown.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #8019 on: July 21, 2011, 02:09:20 AM

Hahaha, preorders to Finland are not available due to reasons of "quality of service". Clownshoes.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #8020 on: July 21, 2011, 02:12:31 AM

I doubt I will bother to preorder. I don't really go in for preordering mass produced junk that will be easily available upon release.

According to a post from one of their community people, "the order in which you pre-order and redeem your code at The Old Republic’s Code Redemption Center is the order in which we let players in during Early Game Access".
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #8021 on: July 21, 2011, 02:14:16 AM

According to a post from one of their community people, "the order in which you pre-order and redeem your code at The Old Republic’s Code Redemption Center is the order in which we let players in during Early Game Access".

So your "pre-order fee" may or may not net you a slight benefit? Oh EA...

« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 02:16:22 AM by jakonovski »
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #8022 on: July 21, 2011, 02:19:14 AM

Pre-order fee at Origin? Ha ha no. Amazon UK have got standard pre-order at £35. With, from what I can tell, no pre-order fee. CE is £130 at Game. Lots of people all over the place not very happy although, yeah seems like an overreaction. Steam wouldn't necessarily be better - they charged full whack for Portal 2 when it came out. I waited a week and got it from Amazon for a tenner less.

I could care less about an early start. That sort of thinking leads to the "MUST BE FIRST TO 50!" mentality, followed closely by the "So, 48 hours poopsocking later and I have no content left to play and no-one else is level capped. WHY, Bioware, WHY?"

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #8023 on: July 21, 2011, 02:19:25 AM

So your "pre-order fee" may or may not net you a slight benefit? Oh EA...

I can't speak for anywhere outside the U.S., but if you want the Collector's Edition or a physical copy of the Standard Edition, you can pre-order them from all the typical places without the deposit Origin requires.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #8024 on: July 21, 2011, 02:22:41 AM

Isn't being early unnecessary on a game focussed on story, replayability and alts?
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #8025 on: July 21, 2011, 02:26:33 AM

Isn't being early unnecessary on a game focussed on story, replayability and alts?

They're free extra days, plus it allows me to play the game that much sooner.  I'm not really seeing a downside to pre-ordering.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #8026 on: July 21, 2011, 02:31:14 AM

Ah, sure, it just seems like its getting out of hand with that comment above about queues and access being determined by when you pre-order. Nothing wrong with wanting to pre-order, but my impression is EA are being dicks about it.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #8027 on: July 21, 2011, 02:36:41 AM

Somewhat I suppose.  Certainly I've never seen any other MMO that had a pre-order head start allowing people in according to the order in which they pre-ordered.  On the other hand, I can see the sense in doing it this way in order to keep the servers from dying when everyone tries to get in at once.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #8028 on: July 21, 2011, 02:53:55 AM

What do you suppose the effect of server lag is?  You try to get a quest, and you get "cellphone going through a tunnel" voice quality?
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #8029 on: July 21, 2011, 02:59:09 AM

What do you suppose the effect of server lag is?  You try to get a quest, and you get "cellphone going through a tunnel" voice quality?

Constant zone/server crashes, slow login servers, loot lag, quest lag, etc...
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #8030 on: July 21, 2011, 03:06:04 AM

I just said fuck it and did instore pickup at gamestop for a normal box.   The $60 bucks thing is bullshit though.   I know there have been two or three games that brought that BS to PC games but this is the first one I wanted to actually buy.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #8031 on: July 21, 2011, 03:07:44 AM

Collector's Edition all up in your shit.

Where's my handjob?

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #8032 on: July 21, 2011, 03:08:19 AM

I feel liberated that I was unable to preorder SWTOR. No pressure now, and I can live the inevitable launch clusterfuck vicariously through this thread.  
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #8033 on: July 21, 2011, 03:11:17 AM

Gas was under a dollar a gallon when I got my license. Prices go up. It had to happen to PC games eventually. /shrug

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #8034 on: July 21, 2011, 03:15:57 AM

I backed out on the collector's edition and just went with the digital deluxe. No drama, no problems. Eighty bucks Canadian is a high price but I remember spending almost 100 for Civilization back in the Neolithic.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #8035 on: July 21, 2011, 03:17:17 AM

Gas was under a dollar a gallon when I got my license. Prices go up. It had to happen to PC games eventually. /shrug

Seems like a bad idea for sub-based, make or break kind of game. Pessimistic people have suggested that EA is sending this game to die and are trying to profit up front from the hype buildup.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #8036 on: July 21, 2011, 03:22:47 AM

Oh yes. That must be their evil plan.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #8037 on: July 21, 2011, 03:25:09 AM

Oh yes. That must be their evil plan.

Don't tase the messenger bro.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #8038 on: July 21, 2011, 03:30:59 AM

I just said fuck it and did instore pickup at gamestop for a normal box.   The $60 bucks thing is bullshit though.   I know there have been two or three games that brought that BS to PC games but this is the first one I wanted to actually buy.

2 or 3?  Have you not bought video games in the last few years?
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #8039 on: July 21, 2011, 04:14:07 AM

Hmm, still undecided between the CE and a physical, standard copy (in any case, I won't take part in the pre-order crazyness) I will purchase on release day: I have an ADSL 6MB connection (max. around 640kb/s) and in this case the download wait would be unbearable, at least for me, even though I have a 1 terabyte HD (so no reason to remove it from my HD once it's installed, considering that the majority of it it's composed by other games, no software related to job or anything of that kind).

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #8040 on: July 21, 2011, 04:16:43 AM

I did the CE from Amazon.  Considering most games on at least the first day are a registering / server nightmare anyhow I dont even care if I get to play day 1 cause it will probably be very limited anyhow :P  Ive learned not to take the launch day off from work cause that usually becomes disappointing.  
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #8041 on: July 21, 2011, 04:21:42 AM

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #8042 on: July 21, 2011, 04:24:08 AM

2 or 3?  Have you not bought video games in the last few years?

Yeah, even on Steam new games cost me more than $50. This is not new or news.  $60 for an EA game is pretty standard nowadays and I know I paid around that for DA2 and ME2.

No ability to Preorder anything other than the Vanilla edition at BB and I don't see anything at all at Target. /shrug

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #8043 on: July 21, 2011, 04:25:12 AM

So what's the ETA on this being £10 in the Steam store?
VainEldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #8044 on: July 21, 2011, 04:26:47 AM

Considering most games on at least the first day are a registering / server nightmare anyhow I dont even care if I get to play day 1 cause it will probably be very limited anyhow :P  Ive learned not to take the launch day off from work cause that usually becomes disappointing.  

I would one day like to have your will to power, but I'm weak. Weak! I bought the standard digital from EA Origin.

It's funny you know, at these times I still feel like an excited child. I hope I always do.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #8045 on: July 21, 2011, 04:30:00 AM

So what's the ETA on this being £10 in the Steam store?

Well, it's not going to be sold on Steam so I'd say you'll probably be waiting quite a while.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #8046 on: July 21, 2011, 04:33:35 AM

I'm hitting Best Buy myself...their gamer's club deal is hell of a lot better than GS, and they pay out more for trade-ins.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #8047 on: July 21, 2011, 04:33:44 AM

Considering most games on at least the first day are a registering / server nightmare anyhow I dont even care if I get to play day 1 cause it will probably be very limited anyhow :P  Ive learned not to take the launch day off from work cause that usually becomes disappointing.  

I would one day like to have your will to power, but I'm weak. Weak! I bought the standard digital from EA Origin.

It's funny you know, at these times I still feel like an excited child. I hope I always do.

Hehe, same here: now, regarding TOR I'm not getting too over-excited because of the mass of people that will swarm the servers, so I know I'll have to be patient, but I often have the same "child" feeling (I hope I'll always feel it too)  whenever a game that I'm eagerly anticipating comes out. That will happen again quite soon with "Deus Ex: Human Revolution" :)

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #8048 on: July 21, 2011, 04:41:57 AM

Normally I'd jump all over pre-order/headstart but given the story-driven content and everything else that has been said in this thread, I'll gladly wait till the faux-line behind the velvet rope departs the area before I go to the club. This time...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #8049 on: July 21, 2011, 04:56:43 AM

2 or 3?  Have you not bought video games in the last few years?

We are talking PC here right?   I'm looking at Steam right now and I'm not seeing any of this proliferation of 60 dollar games everyone is claiming.   In fact if I do something nifty like sorting by price there's only four currently released and half of those are ARMA.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 05:03:58 AM by Amaron »
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: