Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:32:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: (UO expansion) You'll all scoff, but I'm still going to jizz. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: (UO expansion) You'll all scoff, but I'm still going to jizz.  (Read 206880 times)
hal
Terracotta Army

Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Reply #175 on: October 14, 2006, 06:59:58 PM

Lant, very nicely said

I started with nothing, and I still have most of it

I'm not a complete idiot... Some parts are still on backorder.
hal
Terracotta Army

Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Reply #176 on: October 14, 2006, 07:10:42 PM

Its happened before. I'm playing wow again. entire roster well 2 servers worth of toons. every thing alliance can make. And I'm really grooving on warriors and rogues until I get to lvl 20, well 18 ish. Then I find I cant bear to play anything but priest, druid and pally. I dearly love co-op play in a supporting role. This is not a suprise I was a cleric main in eq. But the snap of my attention from the leveling levels to the first instance is very telling. And is great fun to me. This probally means something deep that I am way to much of a moron to appreciate but whatever.

I started with nothing, and I still have most of it

I'm not a complete idiot... Some parts are still on backorder.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #177 on: October 14, 2006, 07:15:02 PM

She didn't like CoV because of its influence on CoH and the promotion of PvP in both games.

Much like Numtini, I prefer a cooperative experience over a competitive one.  It is fairly common, although many of the competitive types do not seem to really understand it.

I can enjoy cooperative experiences too. I'm neither here or there. A game is a game. [edit] So long as it's a game.

Anyways, I really don't understand how she could feel so displeased with the PvP content to the point that she'd want to cancel her account -- simply because she didn't prefer a competitive experience (sorry for the long sentence). I don't find that to be a very good reason at all. The bulk of the game (at least 90%) is still "cooperative PvE". Buying CoV wasn't going to roadblock her preferred method of gameplay.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 07:37:24 PM by Stray »
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: October 14, 2006, 08:45:17 PM

The sad thing is I see people like her on the CoH forums all the time, whining about how they want the badges you get from exploring, fighting monsters, and completing objectives in a PvP zone (oh and the special powers too kthx) but think it's a terrible design flaw that they have to expose themselves to PvP to get any of them.

What if those zones didn't have PVP but instead had random purple mobs that could only be won by using a random obscure tactic, combo or just sheer dumb luck. Would her supposed aversion to that indicate fear and cowardice as well?
You think you're pulling that out of your ass, but you're not.

Those mobs are called "giant monsters", and they show up in most of the zones of CoV and select zones of CoH, and there are still badges there. Two giant monsters actually show up as ambushes. (And let me tell you, you haven't lived until you exit a warehouse, hear in team chat "wasn't there supposed to be an ambush here" and then 50 feet of scrapyard robot jumps up onto the overpass. Good times.)

If anybody quit CoX just because of the potential of being run right the hell over by a giant monsters, then yes, that's fear and/or cowardice beyond the call of all rationality, because giant monsters have about as much relevance to the badge grind as do other players in a PvP zone. The only difference is that giant monsters don't hunt you down at the hospital if you whine about them killing you.

--GF
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: October 15, 2006, 01:27:43 AM

She didn't like CoV because of its influence on CoH and the promotion of PvP in both games.

Much like Numtini, I prefer a cooperative experience over a competitive one.  It is fairly common, although many of the competitive types do not seem to really understand it.

Most of em are still upset over the Trammel/Felucca split. Me, I'm still laughing about it.

Seriously though, I think they take the competition outside of the game. I used to think they were just trying to get more sheep to prey on, and thus convince more people to support their playstyle. I don't think that's the case anymore. They have to pwn you IRL too, and the place they bring the fight is on the message boards. Kinda goes along with the recent debate over whether the forums and chat are part of the game.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: October 15, 2006, 02:07:54 AM

UO was the first MMOG a lot of us ever played and for some reason we always stay passionate about our very first game even if we've stopped playing it years ago.

I was perfectly happy playing on SP.  Everyone on that server wanted to be there.  But we kept getting code bleed from the Trammel servers, and finally, they just up and changed the game completely.

I'd probably still be happily playing the game, on SP, if they hadn't done those things.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: October 15, 2006, 05:35:44 AM

I think the thing that annoys me most about games that patch in PvP after the fact is that it inevitably leads to a massive rebalancing/nerfing of the existing PvE skills to accomodate it.
tkinnun0
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: October 15, 2006, 09:12:59 AM

The only difference is that giant monsters don't hunt you down at the hospital if you whine about them killing you.

That is the difference. The giant monster is there for your group have a good time, but the PVPer is there to make you lose.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #183 on: October 16, 2006, 01:14:10 PM

Many thanks to whoever de-fagged my thread.  Rasix, I assume it was you.

/bow

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #184 on: October 16, 2006, 01:16:22 PM

Yar.  I just don't think I could have yelled SHUT UP loud enough through the internet.

-Rasix
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #185 on: October 27, 2006, 11:32:27 PM

Just thought I'd bump this to blab about the Halloween event that started today.

Typing "trick or treat" will bring up a targeting cursor, and selecting a friendly NPC will usually get them to say something polite as they deposit some candy into your inventory.  Usually.  Every once in a while the NPC will yell "Trick!" and something strange will happen.  Some of the more interesting ones include...

*  Being instantly blown into giblets, with bodyparts left lying on the ground.  You don't lose any insurance money to this particular form of death, however, which makes it pretty much trivial.

*  Being polymorphed into a monster.  No special gameplay effect, you're just turned into a randomly chosen creature for about ten minutes.

*  Having to fight your evil twin.  An NPC duplicate of your character will appear, complete with all your stats, skills, and equipment, and immediately attack.  I thought this in particular was really cool.

In addition, grim reapers have been spawning in certain cemeteries.  They have ridiculous amounts of HP, good melee, a couple of unique wide-area debuffs on top of all the necromancy spells, and can drop artifacts.  They switch targets frequently, but when they're locked onto someone they'll follow that person to the ends of the earth.  They'll even follow you across the world if you cast recall to escape.  Naturally everyone who gets targeted recalls to Britain bank, and chaos ensues.

The last couple of in-game events, this and the ophidian invasion I referenced earlier in this thread, have been really good for a change.

Driakos
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: October 28, 2006, 10:03:55 AM

*  Being instantly blown into giblets, with bodyparts left lying on the ground.  You don't lose any insurance money to this particular form of death, however, which makes it pretty much trivial.

*  Being polymorphed into a monster.  No special gameplay effect, you're just turned into a randomly chosen creature for about ten minutes.

*  Having to fight your evil twin.  An NPC duplicate of your character will appear, complete with all your stats, skills, and equipment, and immediately attack.  I thought this in particular was really cool.

There is also one which will make your character scream, then trail/spurt blood for the next 10-20 steps.  No actual damage taken.

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #187 on: October 28, 2006, 12:22:48 PM

I was on Europa at 3am last night, meaning 8 or 9am local server time, and Brit bank was still a warzone.  A crowd of people was there fighting one or two grim reapers at a time, while people continuously gated between cemeteries looking for more.

Oh, and there's a very uncommon "trick" where you go invisible for a few minutes and can't reveal yourself, even by talking or casting.  Which means that every once in a while some guy in Felucca starts getting hit with spells and has no idea where they're coming from.  lol

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: October 30, 2006, 03:46:06 PM

Oh, and there's a very uncommon "trick" where you go invisible for a few minutes and can't reveal yourself, even by talking or casting.  Which means that every once in a while some guy in Felucca starts getting hit with spells and has no idea where they're coming from.

That sounds like the first month of release.  What's next the trick that turns you into a ghost and lets you rez inside someone's house?
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #189 on: October 30, 2006, 04:26:32 PM

Given that it's a VERY uncommon trick, that it lasts for only a short time when it happens, and that this entire event is going away in a couple of days, I'm willing to let a few things slide.  A would-be PK would have to spam "trick or treat" literally all day just for a couple of minutes of inviso-ganking.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #190 on: October 31, 2006, 06:56:52 PM

Given that it's a VERY uncommon trick, that it lasts for only a short time when it happens, and that this entire event is going away in a couple of days, I'm willing to let a few things slide.  A would-be PK would have to spam "trick or treat" literally all day just for a couple of minutes of inviso-ganking.

People camped rubicite armor for a month in EQ1. Being able to invisiibly kill people is 100x more fun. I would die laughing as my victim fell to the ground spamming "WTF!?" and I was never a PKer in UO.

I have never played WoW.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #191 on: November 02, 2006, 03:47:28 AM

Halloween event is over, and I never heard any hue and cry over the invisibility thing.  /shrug

In other news, Tweety is the new UO community rep.  Lawl.

schild
Administrator

Reply #192 on: November 02, 2006, 05:30:48 AM

That thread has the worst goddamn sig images I've ever seen. And I've visited places like Gaia Online and Cyworld before.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: November 02, 2006, 06:11:23 AM

God. They made Wilki a designer? Yuck.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #194 on: November 02, 2006, 08:26:21 AM

That thread has the worst goddamn sig images I've ever seen. And I've visited places like Gaia Online and Cyworld before.

Holy crap, it's like they followed the 'Fantasy Montage Signature' technique to the T.

These people are soldiers in the army of badly photoshopping text onto even worse images.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #195 on: November 02, 2006, 12:01:31 PM

Halloween event is over, and I never heard any hue and cry over the invisibility thing.  /shrug

Who'd she piss off to get stuck with that job?

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: November 02, 2006, 12:11:33 PM

It's almost a shame Lum left for NCSoft - imagine him as the UO CS rep. :-D

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #197 on: November 03, 2006, 07:07:40 AM

I notice now that someone named Jeremy Dalberg is actually the one taking over Wilki's role of Community Coordinator, while Tweety is referred to as Director of Community.  Is she splitting her time between DAoC and UO now?

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #198 on: November 03, 2006, 08:09:43 AM

This must be playing havoc with her duties as a fairy.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 10:56:24 AM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #199 on: November 03, 2006, 09:53:23 AM

I would not have pegged the current UO playerbase as complainers.  Not ones to be taken seriously, anyway.

And yet they all look vastly better than UO.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #200 on: November 09, 2006, 10:35:30 PM

Speaking of sigs, Tweety has this as hers on Stratics:

Sanya M. Thomas
Director of Community Relations
(That isn't as dirty as it sounds.)
EA Mythic
http://www.camelotherald.com
http://www.warhammerherald.com
UO link coming soon(TM)

At which point one of the Stratics monkeys discovered this:

Registrant:
Mythic Entertainment
4035 Ridge Top Rd, Suite 800
Fairfax, VA 22030-7403
US

Domain Name: UOHERALD.COM

And Tweety replied thusly:

I wasn't going to say anything until we got further along, at least until I saw a draft. It's going to be pretty bare bones at first, too, with none of the stats the Camelot Herald has. UO.com is years old, and layers on layers of junk code. It will take months to excavate it all. The purpose of the UO Herald to start with is to make a place that puts up signed communicating the news of the moment, to start doing community news features, and to start a feedback system. So keep your expectations looooooooooow.

So Mythic is the all-in-one EA MMO division, with WAR as it's flagship title, and DAoC and a cleaned up UO filling out the roster.  At this point I consider a Station Pass sort of deal to be almost certain.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: November 10, 2006, 09:32:29 AM

Holy crap.  shocked Truly UO is so old that it has become new again!

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #202 on: November 10, 2006, 09:41:20 AM

So Mythic is the all-in-one EA MMO division, with WAR as it's flagship title, and DAoC and a cleaned up UO filling out the roster.  At this point I consider a Station Pass sort of deal to be almost certain.

Amazingly enough, a station pass with those three games might not be a bad thing at all.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #203 on: November 10, 2006, 10:20:58 AM

In other news, there's been another duper/cheater/whatever purge.  This one supposedly followed a great deal of observation and planning on who to go after, so while they only nailed 400 accounts, the effect has been very visible.  They didn't just nail a bunch of secondary accounts used to cheat, they paid attention and took down the primary accounts belonging to the cheaters.  Several very high-profile merchants on Europa were summarily banned, their shops standing stripped of vendors when the shards came back up.

I haven't checked this personally, but the noise I've heard is that a couple hundred auctions were quickly removed from a Europa-specific auction site, and that the eBay price of gold has gone up signifigantly.

WayAbvPar

Reply #204 on: November 10, 2006, 10:30:03 AM

Amazingly enough, a station pass with those three games might not be a bad thing at all.

Yeah, I might actually cough up a few bucks for that. Only if they eliminate spriggans from DAOC though.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: November 10, 2006, 12:29:34 PM

In other news, there's been another duper/cheater/whatever purge.  This one supposedly followed a great deal of observation and planning on who to go after, so while they only nailed 400 accounts, the effect has been very visible.  They didn't just nail a bunch of secondary accounts used to cheat, they paid attention and took down the primary accounts belonging to the cheaters.  Several very high-profile merchants on Europa were summarily banned, their shops standing stripped of vendors when the shards came back up.

I haven't checked this personally, but the noise I've heard is that a couple hundred auctions were quickly removed from a Europa-specific auction site, and that the eBay price of gold has gone up signifigantly.

They are breaking up with tradition of nearly randomly banning wrong people. It was to the point of comedy how dupers always got away and wrong people always got banned in all UO 'purges'. Now if they got 'classic' server going, perhaps with new 3D client, they might get some people playing UO again.

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #206 on: November 10, 2006, 12:32:12 PM

Amazingly enough, a station pass with [WAR, DAoC, UO] might not be a bad thing at all.

Almost worth $10 per month!

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #207 on: November 10, 2006, 01:45:55 PM

Amazingly enough, a station pass with [WAR, DAoC, UO] might not be a bad thing at all.

Almost worth $10 per month!

I'd go with $15 a month, which essentially means you get DAoC and UO for free.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #208 on: November 10, 2006, 05:07:36 PM

Now if they got 'classic' server going, perhaps with new 3D client, they might get some people playing UO again.

Doesn't Mythic already run "classic servers" for Camelot?  I could see them doing something similar here.  At least eventually.

caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: November 11, 2006, 02:14:30 AM

I don't know, I paid $22 for just SWG and MxO for maybe half a year. Although I wouldn't do it myself, I'd file paying $20 for War/UO/DAoC as "not insane".

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: (UO expansion) You'll all scoff, but I'm still going to jizz.  
Jump to: