Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 01:56:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 1012582 times)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #2240 on: August 03, 2015, 10:51:53 AM

I was able to talk to a human!

"We sent you a hard copy check."
"Why did you do that?"
"Reasons. None that make sense. We also sent it to your old address.  Why didn't you update it?"
"Because I haven't gotten mail from this company in over 11 years."

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #2241 on: August 03, 2015, 11:58:32 AM

Coincidentally, we got an internal email from the people just under the president of the university to generate a list of services we provide to the colleges we serve. To me, it came off like, "Justify your existence."

That's exactly what it was. And if employees don't have a good answer it's going to look like they are ranting about dealing with customers so the engineers don't have to.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #2242 on: August 03, 2015, 12:26:41 PM

I'M A GODDAMN PEOPLE PERSON

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #2243 on: August 03, 2015, 12:39:09 PM

Coincidentally, we got an internal email from the people just under the president of the university to generate a list of services we provide to the colleges we serve. To me, it came off like, "Justify your existence."

That's exactly what it was. And if employees don't have a good answer it's going to look like they are ranting about dealing with customers so the engineers don't have to.
It was to our director, who then forwarded it to all of us to help contribute to a document with all of our services.

So that kinda makes it feel even worse.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2244 on: August 03, 2015, 01:09:58 PM

It was to our director, who then forwarded it to all of us to help contribute to a document with all of our services.

So that kinda makes it feel even worse.

It is worse. The director can't even be bothered to  justify your exsistence, fuck him. Sounds like time to find another job then send a, "Nothing that couldn't be outsourced to a private firm for 1/4 the cost*" email on your way out.

* At 10x the response time.. did I forget to mention that? Damn.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #2245 on: August 03, 2015, 03:02:45 PM

My nephew is doing amazingly well although he works for an evil company.  He joined the Air Force and spent 15 years there.  He really doesn't love the military but he was at an odd point in his life.  He did the usual for a couple years and then was sent to learn Chinese.  He taught service men Chinese for a couple years and they they sent him off to learn computer-y stuffs and internet security.  He did that until he left the service and he started working for an evil company (imo) doing their junk.  The NSA (I cry tears of blood) counts his service as xp so he's there 15 years right off the bat and he's been there for about 5 years now.  Or so.  He has amazing benefits, 4 or 5 weeks holiday I think and 8 hours personal/sick time every pay period - 2 weeks.  There's a plan for you young guys!  By the way, he LOVES his work.  Even though it's for those nosy people who are probably reading this right now.  Some how I'm proud of him.  Because of the extensive training and education (he got a PhD and 2 Masters)  it's unlikely he'll have to worry about finding a job or being made redundant.  This would be a great (and relatively inexpensive) career path for a lad who doesn't abhor government and military stuff like me.  Srsly.

His ancient mother is very proud of him.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #2246 on: August 03, 2015, 03:51:15 PM

Well it's good to know you're related to the people reading my email.

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #2247 on: August 03, 2015, 05:29:54 PM

Edit: Wrong thread...
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2248 on: August 04, 2015, 10:26:57 AM

I know a guy with a PhD in Mechanical Engineering who can't keep a job outside academia.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #2249 on: August 05, 2015, 09:49:38 AM

I know a guy with a PhD in Mechanical Engineering who can't keep a job outside academia.
The PhD is the problem.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2250 on: August 05, 2015, 09:54:03 AM

I think it's more of a symptom.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #2251 on: August 05, 2015, 11:00:16 AM

The PhD is the problem.

You also know a guy with a BS in Mechanical Engineering who can't keep a job (Argh!), so probably not the ONLY problem.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #2252 on: August 05, 2015, 11:09:22 AM

My father is the Engineering Manager (and chief engineer) for a heavy logging equipment firm. He has no degrees. He didn't actually graduate from high school. So you never know.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2253 on: August 05, 2015, 12:03:39 PM

I don't have a degree, and I own four cats and an entire car.  You never know, indeed.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #2254 on: August 05, 2015, 12:54:17 PM

I have two degrees and run an accounting department.

My friend in Wisconsin has no degree, works in HVAC, and he's the only one in his family who owns his own house.

It's all about what you're willing to do that's in demand and the kind of person you are.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2255 on: August 06, 2015, 05:50:43 AM

This is being circulated at work in an effort to get people out of email chain discussions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYhdbxj-yoI

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #2256 on: August 06, 2015, 06:09:09 AM

That's greeeeeeat

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2257 on: August 06, 2015, 08:14:05 AM

After four months, my boss finally asked about my Business Cat mug.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #2258 on: August 06, 2015, 02:08:03 PM

Will you show us?

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2259 on: August 06, 2015, 03:55:06 PM

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #2260 on: August 06, 2015, 08:25:24 PM

Want
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #2261 on: August 06, 2015, 09:15:14 PM

I have an interview tomorrow!  Reasonable pay, but I'm just taking it to have an income and insurance for now, if I get it. 
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2262 on: August 07, 2015, 04:45:07 AM

Good luck!

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #2263 on: August 07, 2015, 07:01:54 AM

I love that mug!  And good luck, Soln.  Money is convenient.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #2264 on: August 07, 2015, 07:06:21 AM

Any tips for how to find a job that pays the bills and provides value to society?

- Viin
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2265 on: August 07, 2015, 07:17:44 AM

It depends on what your bills are  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2266 on: August 07, 2015, 07:58:42 AM

Best answer ever.

OK, so I did think about this for a bit and I believe the job-seeking advice of seeking particular companies, or maybe particular industries, would apply strongly here.

In my particular case, I was really seeking some way to jump into CLOUD but I also restricted myself to companies that I wanted to work for.  Now I more-or-less work in a scientific data corporation that does directly benefit people.

I did apply to other places, such as Habitat for Humanity, they just didn't happen to understand how valuable I am.  So make a list of companies/institutions and then do the usual networking and so on.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 08:03:02 AM by Yegolev »

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2267 on: August 07, 2015, 10:58:31 AM

Any tips for how to find a job that pays the bills and provides value to society?

They all do. Your problem is they don't contribute to a society that you want to live in.  awesome, for real

That said, as Yegolev found-out non-profits aren't going to understand your skills, nor what value you bring to the table. No companies I know of outside of the Financial or Technology sectors will do that if you're in a tech career. They either don't understand technology (thus why they're not in that field) or don't do the actual C:B analysis to see how that value is gained.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2268 on: August 07, 2015, 11:09:56 AM

What do you do?
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2269 on: August 07, 2015, 11:24:21 AM

Best answer ever.

OK, so I did think about this for a bit and I believe the job-seeking advice of seeking particular companies, or maybe particular industries, would apply strongly here.

In my particular case, I was really seeking some way to jump into CLOUD but I also restricted myself to companies that I wanted to work for.  Now I more-or-less work in a scientific data corporation that does directly benefit people.

I did apply to other places, such as Habitat for Humanity, they just didn't happen to understand how valuable I am.  So make a list of companies/institutions and then do the usual networking and so on.

So, I work in THE CLOUD and I'm currently one of the bigger providers to 3rd sector organisations and let me tell you something :

Charities Don't Get It.

Microsoft provides charities most of this shit for free and they STILL won't take it up because most charities are actually fucking backwards and run by utter fucking decrepit morons.

True Story.

I can think of 2 out of the 100 or so I've dealt with over the years that have actually managed to get value out of a fucking free product.

Sheesh.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2270 on: August 07, 2015, 11:38:47 AM

I have to agree with Ironwood on that one. The charities I've worked for always use the excuse of "We can't spend money to be like a big business" attitude, when what they are really saying is "I don't know how to turn my computer on and any competent IT person I hire I will denigrate, overwork and generally pester until they commit suicide or go find a real job."

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2271 on: August 07, 2015, 11:39:09 AM

What is 3rd sector?  New term to me.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2272 on: August 07, 2015, 11:43:28 AM

I have to agree with Ironwood on that one. The charities I've worked for always use the excuse of "We can't spend money to be like a big business" attitude, when what they are really saying is "I don't know how to turn my computer on and any competent IT person I hire I will denigrate, overwork and generally pester until they commit suicide or go find a real job."

Isn't that what I just said?  Heartbreak

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2273 on: August 07, 2015, 11:48:41 AM

Yes, but he doesn't necessarily agree with you.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #2274 on: August 07, 2015, 11:51:43 AM

I did NFP Audits in my old job. They vary wildly. The more artsy or if they were that intermingled with high-value people? The more likely they were to understand the value of tech.

That being said, they are all horribly slow, inefficient, and make a local pipe shop look well run.

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: