Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 01:54:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 1012582 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1715 on: September 11, 2014, 07:20:51 AM

Usually the previous two employers until things get finalized.

Or a mate on the inside.

I'm told.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1716 on: September 11, 2014, 07:22:39 AM

I've got a decent network so I'll be able to find plenty of references. I know I could use my boss as one as well. He really is not the problem in this situation. We've talked about it before and he would totally understand if I decided to look. I really don't want to leave the place, it works out well for me right now. I'm just hoping to move within the next 2 years, have another kid, plus my wife is back in school now. $5k hurts. The odd thing here is that the upper management explicitly told him that if I started looking they would review my situation and talk about raises.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1717 on: September 11, 2014, 07:25:29 AM

The very fact that the execs said, "let us know" says that they know exactly what they're doing and seeing how much crap you'll take. This is only the first step.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1718 on: September 11, 2014, 07:29:24 AM

I know. It is odd that they are willing to give me a raise/title change, but only if I'm thinking about leaving. Just give me the damn thing if you are willing to. They are notoriously stingy here with salaries though.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1719 on: September 11, 2014, 09:14:14 AM

Same situation here, which is why I'm looking.  (On top of other work issues.)

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1720 on: September 11, 2014, 09:24:13 AM

You fucking hate your work and have for ages. 

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1721 on: September 11, 2014, 10:13:59 AM

Yep.  The only saving grace is working three hours away while pretty much ignoring them beyond basics now.  They're too busy running the company into the ground for me to care.  I'm milking it after all the shit they put me through.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1722 on: September 11, 2014, 03:26:01 PM

Can you not just say that no, you are not looking for another job an like your workplace, but that you are keen to 'get on' and would like more opportunity.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1723 on: September 12, 2014, 06:29:07 AM

I'd definitely word it like that.  Make certain everyone knows you are looking to move upward with your career and let them put two and two together if they can't give you what you want.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #1724 on: September 12, 2014, 08:38:01 AM

Unfortunately, this doesn't help my current situation since this is my first real job on the career path and as good a recommendation as I can get from my previous retail employers, it would probably look bad on my resume if I didn't have at least one reference from the tech industry.  Sigh.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #1725 on: September 12, 2014, 08:46:14 AM

Can't the goons write you a reference as an expert Titan Pilot?
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1726 on: September 12, 2014, 08:48:36 AM

Unfortunately, this doesn't help my current situation since this is my first real job on the career path and as good a recommendation as I can get from my previous retail employers, it would probably look bad on my resume if I didn't have at least one reference from the tech industry.  Sigh.

Most bosses would appreciate your position and not bother much.  A simple 'references available on request' usually does the trick.

In all honesty, over here, references are mostly a thing of the past.  Truly.

Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1727 on: September 12, 2014, 08:50:09 AM

Yeah I actually haven't had a reference called in years. I generally don't include them in anything unless it is an actual paper application where they have boxes to fill out.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1728 on: September 12, 2014, 08:51:07 AM

I think references are mostly dead.  I've handed out a bad one but otherwise haven't seen any.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1729 on: September 12, 2014, 10:43:06 AM

I think references are mostly dead.  I've handed out a bad one but otherwise haven't seen any.

Depends on where you are applying. Jobs here at the university require at least three references listed and they have to contact at least two of them before making an offer.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1730 on: September 12, 2014, 10:58:04 AM

Depends on where you are applying. Jobs here at the university require at least three references listed and they have to contact at least two of them before making an offer.

I definitely was referring to modern companies, not archaic feudal systems based on tradition and fealty. why so serious?

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1731 on: September 12, 2014, 01:02:55 PM

You forgot gladiatorial combat in that listing.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1732 on: September 12, 2014, 07:19:31 PM

Um, we pretty much live on references when make position offers. And in my division, not only do we require "360 reviews" (a minimum number of references from supervisors, colleagues, and subordinates), but folks will usually hunt down folks the candidate worked with in previous opinions to get any possible dirt.

I know this is not normal.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #1733 on: September 12, 2014, 07:21:24 PM

I've gotten several calls from companies and recruiters using me as a reference for colleagues.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1734 on: September 13, 2014, 07:23:44 AM

A lot of security gigs still take references very seriously. I got called on one from a friend of a friend, because when they call each person, they ask if they know anyone else who knows Person_X.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1735 on: September 14, 2014, 09:47:36 PM

References have worked to my advantage so far. If an employer is on the fence about hiring you, nothing helps like a past manager telling them that you shouldn't be passed up!

- Viin
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #1736 on: September 15, 2014, 06:51:41 AM

Can't the goons write you a reference as an expert Titan Pilot?

I have unironically mentioned my Eve Online experience in several job interviews.  Managing anonymous nerds on the internet is valuable experience.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1737 on: September 15, 2014, 02:39:41 PM

My boss told me that he would appreciate a heads up if I was thinking about moving on. He isn't a total dick and I don't expect him to fuck me over if I tell him I am thinking about looking elsewhere. Do I tell my boss I am thinking about leaving or should I just look and keep it quiet?

Telling them is a rookie mistake, although I don't know if you are really a rookie in any sense of the word.  What is the upside for you?  The company is only thinking about the upside for it.  Take your time, find a job that pays better and then tell your boss you have a better offer.  When he asks what it is add 10%.  If they won't match that, then walk.

That said, you never want to switch jobs to get away from something.  You want to switch jobs because the new one offers something you don't have.

I have never played WoW.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1738 on: September 19, 2014, 06:05:29 AM

So the husband had an in-person interview last week with the district mgr of the bank, which he said went really well.  They told him he'd know by the end of this week about the position.  They called him yesterday and said they were going with an internal candidate for the location he was interviewing for, but that mgr was moving from another location and and that bank would now need a mgr, was he interested?  They needed to post the position internally for a week but then all he had to do was then go online to indicate he was applying for second!location position, no need for another interview since both locations were under the same DM.

I'm taking that as good news but he's been so close several times before that it's hard to be positive.  So by the end of next week maybe something good will happen; it's been over a year now.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #1739 on: September 19, 2014, 07:15:20 AM

Good luck! I hope it works out.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #1740 on: September 19, 2014, 06:04:53 PM

They called him yesterday and said they were going with an internal candidate for the location he was interviewing for, but that mgr was moving from another location and and that bank would now need a mgr, was he interested?  They needed to post the position internally for a week but then all he had to do was then go online to indicate he was applying for second!location position, no need for another interview since both locations were under the same DM.
Totally awesome, so he can watch THAT position as well go to another internal "not as qualified" candidate too!

Sorry, I'm jaded and bitter about his experience over the last year as I've been following the saga and hoping he gets a job.  I did this for like 5 jobs when I was unemployed too and it hacked me off to no end, especially when a company paid to fly me out there and stay a few days to get to know the team, only to go with an internal candidate.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1741 on: September 20, 2014, 09:20:03 PM

They called him yesterday and said they were going with an internal candidate for the location he was interviewing for, but that mgr was moving from another location and and that bank would now need a mgr, was he interested?  They needed to post the position internally for a week but then all he had to do was then go online to indicate he was applying for second!location position, no need for another interview since both locations were under the same DM.
Totally awesome, so he can watch THAT position as well go to another internal "not as qualified" candidate too!

Sorry, I'm jaded and bitter about his experience over the last year as I've been following the saga and hoping he gets a job.  I did this for like 5 jobs when I was unemployed too and it hacked me off to no end, especially when a company paid to fly me out there and stay a few days to get to know the team, only to go with an internal candidate.
Yeah, he's lost a few to internal candidates in the past, too.  It does suck.  There was one that we thought he totally had in the bag and then suddenly an internal candidate appeared. 

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1742 on: September 22, 2014, 06:30:57 AM

That's even shittier when the internal guy would have had extra time to get his shit together and land the spot before it went external.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1743 on: September 22, 2014, 12:43:28 PM

I lost a job once to someone who quit their job to move to a new city, moved, decided she didn't like the city and moved back two weeks later.  I already had the interview to be her replacement because it was posted internally, they said yes to me but didn't do the paperwork yet.  Over the damn weekend she moved back and they just took her back like she never left. 

I get why they did it, but I was super-pissed at the time.  I think that was when I started to look elsewhere; I wasn't there but a few months after that. 
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1744 on: September 22, 2014, 01:46:30 PM

That's even shittier when the internal guy would have had extra time to get his shit together and land the spot before it went external.

Depends on the company, but several I've been with don't list jobs internally prior to external listings. They drop the listing on both groups at the same time, "in the name of fairness."  I guess because promoting from within is somehow a bad idea?

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1745 on: September 22, 2014, 01:51:13 PM

That also depends on the company.  Might be full of shitheads.  Or the owner is incompetent.  Probably the second one.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1746 on: September 22, 2014, 03:12:02 PM

Mostly it goes like this "no one internal would qualify for this position, as if! Post it externally! Oh Bob in (other dept) wants it? HA! He's not qualified! Oh this qualified guy wants a decent salary? And Bob would be more than happy to take the job for 0/3/5% raise? Well shit, I don't think that position is that important anyways, lets just give it to Bob and save us some money"

- Viin
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1747 on: September 22, 2014, 04:46:02 PM

I love audits.  

"Why didn't you do this? We're going to get reamed and it's all your fault!!!!"
"You could have told me this 3 years ago, when I started doing it this way and you were perfectly fine with it."
Repeat until I apologize due to fatigue.

The support for doing this will completely evaporate once the audit has passed and it'll go back to expecting something while doing nothing to enable it.  Argh!

« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 04:58:14 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #1748 on: September 23, 2014, 06:50:06 AM

Question for you good internationally working type folks.

My brother recently completed his doctorate and got a job teaching at Leydon in The Netherlands.  I was insanely jealous. 

Just went to visit him, also spent a week in Paris, I'm now more insanely jealous.

Any advice on how I go about looking into if it's feasible to look for work over there?  Just go on Indeed?  use a recruiter?  Anyone have any specific recruiter recommendations?

Why don't you try our other games?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1749 on: September 23, 2014, 07:32:30 AM

I'd like to know as well.  I'd give my left arm for a faculty position in Europe. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: