Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 06:48:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: 12/15/05 - Final Fantasy IV (GBA) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 12/15/05 - Final Fantasy IV (GBA)  (Read 11616 times)
schild
Administrator

on: December 12, 2005, 12:55:21 AM

Thus, the Dark Knight Cecil was expelled from his
command as a Captain of the Red Wings.  And he and
Dragoon Kain left Baron for the Village Mist in a
valley enclosed in deep fog.

Airships had been a dream of many people...  After the
realization of the dream came greed and ambition.

Through its fleet of airships, Baron became the most
powerful nation.  But why is Baron seeking the
crystals?  Why do the monsters keep increasing?

The crystal was shedding its light silently...

[/b]
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 07:57:08 AM

It's about goddamn time.  Now if only they'd get Chrono Trigger.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 08:22:39 AM

My question: Hardtype or Easytype?

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 10:06:23 AM

Doesn't matter. They were both easy. You play for the story.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 10:49:36 AM

Doesn't matter. They were both easy. You play for the story.
Fight the evil wall, ogopogo, plague, etc. on hardtype and tell me that.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 04:25:12 PM

Ok, so things like red fang, blue fang and fire ring are in there. I think it's hardtype.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 07:28:05 AM

I wouldn't know either way, FFIV was the one I did not play.

Translation seems well done so far, so I am going to guess it's essentially the PSX version sans cinematics.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 07:05:25 PM

I wouldn't know either way, FFIV was the one I did not play.

Translation seems well done so far, so I am going to guess it's essentially the PSX version sans cinematics.

Apparently the main differences are some added "trials" and the ability to choose your party members near the end.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005, 05:43:55 PM

For some reason I giggled a bit when I did this.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 15, 2005, 06:44:41 PM

Lord knows that fat slob Rosa could use it.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #10 on: December 15, 2005, 07:16:18 PM

Which one was this state-side?
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: December 15, 2005, 07:22:32 PM

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 16, 2005, 01:15:10 AM

FFIV is the best FF IMO, worth playing for sure. I dunno about stuff like script changes, I liked the original script a lot. FFIV (or really 5 actually) was the last FF game without some weird system or feature glut creeping in to mess things up. Not that 6 was bad but it had some definite problems like character glut and esper crap that started the long chain of random systems that have become all the rage in Japanese RPGs. Now every RPG released needs some goofy system associated with it.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: December 16, 2005, 03:05:20 AM

FFIV is the best FF IMO, worth playing for sure. I dunno about stuff like script changes, I liked the original script a lot. FFIV (or really 5 actually) was the last FF game without some weird system or feature glut creeping in to mess things up. Not that 6 was bad but it had some definite problems like character glut and esper crap that started the long chain of random systems that have become all the rage in Japanese RPGs. Now every RPG released needs some goofy system associated with it.

I thought 5 was a about 50x more complicated than 6. The job system in 5 ruined any sort of decent story they could have had. 6 may very well be the last console RPG I'd consider a masterpiece. My list of must play RPG (from any system) is Very Very short though.

No Order:
Final Fantasy 6
Final Fantasy 4
Deus Ex
Planescape Torment
Shadowhearts 2

That's about it. And I don't really consider System Shock (1 or 2) RPGs in the sense that the above are. Deus Ex is a special exception since the action was total total crap but the game was magic on a cd.

Final Fantasy V though? Wouldn't even get a honorable mention nod. It's just so....meh.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #14 on: December 16, 2005, 09:59:18 AM

Final Fantasy V's purpose in the gaming continuum was to lay the groundwork for Final Fantasy Tactics, and any other job-based game of course.  I have been meaning to play more FFV, but it's hard to make myself do some things.  Damn sleep.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 16, 2005, 10:01:11 AM

I didn't see Fallout on that list.
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: December 16, 2005, 11:53:43 AM

I didn't see Fallout on that list.

That's because I'd force someone to play Planescape before Fallout. Fallout, also, is an acquired taste. While I think it's fucking amazing, very very few people have the patience for its brand of slow.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #17 on: December 16, 2005, 11:56:19 AM

Plus, the graphics suck.
schild
Administrator

Reply #18 on: December 16, 2005, 11:58:40 AM

Plus, the graphics suck.

Actually Fallout 2 still stands up pretty well.  This really isn't a graphical issue. It's more a.....the game takes a bajillion hours issue to those not acquainted with all the systems and the payoff isn't as good as Planescapes.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #19 on: December 16, 2005, 05:39:28 PM

I'd take Shadowhearts off the list.  It was a good game but I really don't think I'd be missing something if I hadn't played it.

I'd probably add Shadowrun for the SNES, and maybe KOTR to the list.  I'd be tempted to add the Pool of Radiance series of the Gold Box games since I still love playing them, but I don't think they'd have much appeal to people who aren't into PC gaming.
schild
Administrator

Reply #20 on: December 16, 2005, 06:30:03 PM

Shadowhearts 2 is my prime recommendation when someone wants to play a 3D RPG.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #21 on: December 16, 2005, 06:57:24 PM

That list is also Missing Terranigma (well, that's more action-rpg) and Earthbound.

Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #22 on: December 16, 2005, 07:20:16 PM

To go back on topic, the question you were no doubt asking yourself: the line "You spoony bard!" remained in this translation. All is well.
schild
Administrator

Reply #23 on: December 16, 2005, 08:01:42 PM

I saved the game right before that cutscene (yes, I've memorized the game). I'll take a picture later.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #24 on: December 16, 2005, 10:45:05 PM

I saved the game right before that cutscene (yes, I've memorized the game). I'll take a picture later.
I am not impressed by that feat.

schild
Administrator

Reply #25 on: December 16, 2005, 10:58:25 PM

I am not impressed by that feat.
Neither am I.
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #26 on: December 19, 2005, 05:25:17 PM

That's the one where you collect gay pr0n for the swishy tailors so you can keep getting upskirt shots of the creepily realistic doll that's modeled after a five-year old girl, right? 

I think Dragon Quest VIII is more fun, personally, but I'm a whore for cel-shading.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
schild
Administrator

Reply #27 on: December 19, 2005, 05:36:34 PM

That's the one where you collect gay pr0n for the swishy tailors so you can keep getting upskirt shots of the creepily realistic doll that's modeled after a five-year old girl, right?

Yes.

I think Dragon Quest VIII is more fun, personally, but I'm a whore for cel-shading.

The monster encounter rate is way too high for my liking. And the combat in Shadow Hearts MUCH > than DQVIII.
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #28 on: December 19, 2005, 05:38:44 PM

The monster encounter rate is way too high for my liking. And the combat in Shadow Hearts MUCH > than DQVIII.

This is true. But DQ8 has way better music.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #29 on: December 20, 2005, 11:57:32 AM

This is true. But DQ8 has way better music.

I like Shadow Hearts music.  I am really slavering for DQVIII now.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #30 on: April 10, 2006, 08:21:52 PM

I thought 5 was a about 50x more complicated than 6. The job system in 5 ruined any sort of decent story they could have had. 6 may very well be the last console RPG I'd consider a masterpiece. My list of must play RPG (from any system) is Very Very short though.

No Order:
Final Fantasy 6
Final Fantasy 4
Deus Ex
Planescape Torment
Shadowhearts 2

That's about it. And I don't really consider System Shock (1 or 2) RPGs in the sense that the above are. Deus Ex is a special exception since the action was total total crap but the game was magic on a cd.

Final Fantasy V though? Wouldn't even get a honorable mention nod. It's just so....meh.

I was unsure about you until now.  FF6 is the best RPG ever made, and anyone who doesn't see eye to eye with me on that is crazier than Darren Daulton
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: April 10, 2006, 08:50:46 PM

Darren Daulton!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #32 on: April 11, 2006, 07:27:17 AM

FFIV, funnelface.

dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: April 11, 2006, 09:09:50 AM

Darren Daulton!
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #34 on: April 17, 2006, 09:43:37 PM

Hmm, I would have thought Planescape had a Much higher mental barrier of entry than either Baldur's Gate or Baldur's Gate 2.

BG2 and PS are about even in my book. PS had original style in spades, but BG2 felt more "complete" to me.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: 12/15/05 - Final Fantasy IV (GBA)  
Jump to: