Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 02:00:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: DDO jumps to third-most-popular spot in MMO survey (NPD) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: DDO jumps to third-most-popular spot in MMO survey (NPD)  (Read 14048 times)
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #35 on: May 20, 2010, 02:20:50 AM

F2P makes a lot more sense because I can trial a game for free and come back to it when I want, rather than paying $80 for box and then $15 a month.

Ollie
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: May 20, 2010, 02:34:25 AM

There's something quite endearing about his externalized internal monologue that I can't help but to like. Maybe it's the Hunter S. Thompson picky that does it.  Heart

Also, I can't believe I know where WUA's quote is from. I'm such a nerd.

Hug me, I'm Finnish!
Faelor
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: May 20, 2010, 03:53:41 PM

F2P makes a lot more sense because I can trial a game for free and come back to it when I want, rather than paying $80 for box and then $15 a month.
Exactly. I had one of those 10 day trials they offered when the game came out. Last week I logged in and my characters were all still there. I got to hop in the game, run around a little bit and decide if I want to actually throw money at it.

Though after an interesting discussion with a friend of mine, I found out he has spent roughly $220 on DDO in the last 2 months trying to maximize his character. Now, according to him that isn't too uncommon in the high-level crowd.

It does seems that DDO players on average are older, in comparison to other MMO player bases, and have a little bit more money to play with. Typically they start playing DDO as a fix for their tabletop D&D nostalgia, and get hooked because of the social aspects of a MMO. If they want to spend $30 to "reincarnate" their character or get +2 Tome of Strength, it isn't as big of an issue as say someone in college who is eating ramen daily.

Edit: Oh, my first post after all these years!

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: May 21, 2010, 07:07:17 AM

Exactly. I had one of those 10 day trials they offered when the game came out. Last week I logged in and my characters were all still there. I got to hop in the game, run around a little bit and decide if I want to actually throw money at it.

Though after an interesting discussion with a friend of mine, I found out he has spent roughly $220 on DDO in the last 2 months trying to maximize his character. Now, according to him that isn't too uncommon in the high-level crowd.

It does seems that DDO players on average are older, in comparison to other MMO player bases, and have a little bit more money to play with. Typically they start playing DDO as a fix for their tabletop D&D nostalgia, and get hooked because of the social aspects of a MMO. If they want to spend $30 to "reincarnate" their character or get +2 Tome of Strength, it isn't as big of an issue as say someone in college who is eating ramen daily.

Edit: Oh, my first post after all these years!

Holy crap!
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #39 on: May 21, 2010, 09:05:22 AM

Long ago, I tried to get a friend into selling EQ items on ebay, people would pay stupid amounts for stuff. I later found out from his wife that he blew over $400 on a manastone. And the guy selling it fucked him on it, didn't deliver. Lolz.

But I guess it does put that $25 mount from EQ2 into perspective.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 09:07:10 AM by Sky »
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: May 21, 2010, 10:28:24 AM

Holy crap!

It's not surprising though.  The DDO devs have said that since going to F2P model, average $$ per player has increased from flat-subscription numbers.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: May 21, 2010, 10:35:45 AM

I've been playing DDO with a friend recently and can understand as well.  If you're wanting a PvE MMO that is decidedly NOT WoW, then DDO is a fine choice.  At least for one run through the dungeons. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Faelor
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: May 21, 2010, 03:41:43 PM

I've been playing DDO with a friend recently and can understand as well.  If you're wanting a PvE MMO that is decidedly NOT WoW, then DDO is a fine choice.  At least for one run through the dungeons. 
I'm in the same boat, or at least that looks the same.

In between the WoW raids I somehow still put up with, I enjoy a DDO dungeon run once every once and a while. Granted I've only enjoyed a few runs in the last two weeks, they are incredibly enjoyable. Be it with the ole guild-mates or real life buddies I play tabletop D&D with on Saturdays.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #43 on: May 23, 2010, 11:59:05 AM

Holy crap!

If you have spent any time in/around f2p + cash shop MMO's you would know its both the very old and the very young that spend that kind of money on them.  I've seen many 14 and under kids spending $50/wk on f2p games and the well off quite old set (40-50) will spend even higher amounts.  For the most part its the 17-35 set that actually plays these guys w/out spending a dime.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #44 on: May 23, 2010, 12:18:55 PM

Battlefield Heroes is using that too, I see more and more people buying stuff after they try it for a couple of days.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: DDO jumps to third-most-popular spot in MMO survey (NPD)  
Jump to: