Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 12:37:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Return of the Book Thread  (Read 1309144 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3570 on: March 30, 2011, 11:13:48 AM

Kindle, so you have a doorstop for your parent's shack when it's obsolete in two years.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #3571 on: March 30, 2011, 12:07:36 PM

Shacks are never obsolete!
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3572 on: March 30, 2011, 03:09:29 PM

Kindle, so you have a doorstop for your parent's shack when it's obsolete in two years.

Books can also do this too!  And in most cases, the book will do a better job. 

It'll take an author or series I follow forsaking printed books before you ever see me reading an eBook. 

/get_off_my_lawn

-Rasix
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #3573 on: March 30, 2011, 03:41:44 PM

I like our Kindle fine, but there is one Kindle and two people in this house so often a paper book is handy.  And, in this particular case, probably about $3 for a used Wheel Of Time Braid-Tugging Extravaganza last-century paper device vs. the $8 Kindle version.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3574 on: March 30, 2011, 10:26:23 PM

I'm putting together a display of obsolete tech from the eleven years I've been at the library. I work with a lot of gadget people and I want to remind them how fleeting and expensive technology is. I will prop up the items (a 1 megapixel camera about the size of a short bus, a Sony e-reader from the early aughts) on books from the 50s that are still in circulation.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #3575 on: March 30, 2011, 11:19:49 PM

Fair warning: book 10 is easily the worst in the series.  822 pages for two important plot points, each of which deserves a chapter at best.  Though if you make it through, book 11 is actually pretty damn good.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #3576 on: March 31, 2011, 05:51:45 AM

Fair warning: book 10 is easily the worst in the series.  822 pages for two important plot points, each of which deserves a chapter at best.  Though if you make it through, book 11 is actually pretty damn good.

Only in comparison to books 8,9 and 19 though.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #3577 on: March 31, 2011, 07:30:29 AM

While I agree the later books were starting to drag, especially the one which was 75% recapping what happened during the previous book (It's been a while since I read them) Sanderson's first book was pretty damn awesome.  It felt like Jordan's earlier books, where shit actually happened at a decent clip.  I haven't read the latest one though.

On another note, I've also been reading Neal Stephenson's Anathem.  I really enjoy it, even though it gets pretty heavy with virtually no action.  I find the ideas and people intriguing enough to actually pay attention to the 'theorics' and other discussions.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #3578 on: March 31, 2011, 07:41:54 AM

I don't like the sound of "book 19" in a series. 
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #3579 on: March 31, 2011, 08:13:08 AM

I don't like the sound of "book 19" in a series. 
While I know the book 19 was a typo, in regards to the WoT series, it didn't surprise me at first either.  Ohhhhh, I see.

I'm rereading the first trilogy of Earthclan books by David Brin.  Even though I've read it multiple times, I really do enjoy Startide Rising a lot.  This time around I'm stuck by how much thought Brin seems to have put into what would happen if humans did uplift dolphins (and in The Uplift War - chimpanzees), how would they be changed, what would remain the same but still be different, behaviors, etc.  I'm finding it really interesting to think about.

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #3580 on: March 31, 2011, 09:16:53 AM

I'm putting together a display of obsolete tech from the eleven years I've been at the library. I work with a lot of gadget people and I want to remind them how fleeting and expensive technology is. I will prop up the items (a 1 megapixel camera about the size of a short bus, a Sony e-reader from the early aughts) on books from the 50s that are still in circulation.
My Calibre library with non-DRM'd .epub format books are the way to go. It's the way of the future, for people that can stand to read on electronic devices instead of real paper, IMO. I'm moving soon and so I'm focused on switching my library over to .epub instead of physical books so I can donate them and free up space. I set up my Calibre library on my PC and got a Nook Color to sync with it for reading.

I think it's pretty much like mp3, in that the devices themselves may wear out, but as long as the format is open and ubiquitous (.epub seems to have won this battle) all future readers (that I am interested in) will be able to use it.

Sorry, kindle. You and your closed .mobi format and single source stream can go suck a dick.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 09:21:50 AM by bhodi »
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #3581 on: March 31, 2011, 09:20:31 AM

I'm rereading the first trilogy of Earthclan books by David Brin.  Even though I've read it multiple times, I really do enjoy Startide Rising a lot.  This time around I'm stuck by how much thought Brin seems to have put into what would happen if humans did uplift dolphins (and in The Uplift War - chimpanzees), how would they be changed, what would remain the same but still be different, behaviors, etc.  I'm finding it really interesting to think about.

These are really well written, high quality books.  He had a lot to put together before even starting to write, I assume. 
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #3582 on: March 31, 2011, 10:14:33 AM

While I know the book 19 was a typo, in regards to the WoT series, it didn't surprise me at first either.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Yeah, it was supposed to be 10 but I fat fingered the 0.  However, had Jordan made it a few more years 19 could have been entirely accurate.

Anyway, I still say 11 is 'good' only in comparison to the drek that immediately preceded it.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #3583 on: March 31, 2011, 11:44:07 AM

If I find that a book I like has more than 5-6 direct sequels I just don't even bother any more.  I don't mind books in the same universe or even with the same characters, e.g. Vorkosigan books, but to draw out the same bleeding story over twelve books just crushes my soul.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #3584 on: March 31, 2011, 11:49:30 AM

If I find that a book I like has more than 5-6 direct sequels I just don't even bother any more.  I don't mind books in the same universe or even with the same characters, e.g. Vorkosigan books, but to draw out the same bleeding story over twelve books just crushes my soul.
Depends on the author and the style. Like the Dresden Files books -- there's ten or twelve of those, but they're independent. There's a bit of an overarching plot -- a war that gets started in one book complicating things in others, but they're basically mysteries. Each book handles a mystery.

Sometimes I'm in the mood for big fat epic something, sometimes I'm not. And sometimes it's way too epic. Like "cut that sucker in half, hire an editor" too epic.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #3585 on: March 31, 2011, 01:36:23 PM

Anyway, I still say 11 is 'good' only in comparison to the drek that immediately preceded it.

All in all I'd say the presence of shit happening certainly puts it fairly high in the list of WoT books that don't suck.  The number of chapters dedicated to Mat back at being the lovable rogue helps a lot as well.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 01:41:04 PM by Sheepherder »
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #3586 on: March 31, 2011, 10:41:35 PM

Does the story ever get back to the plot with Mat and the creatures from beyond the gate and his bargain and all that?  That seemed like quality stuff to me from the earlier books and then nothing ever went back there and there were book after book of slogging through no-plot-motion and I think I finally gave up around book 8 or so.  I might go back to read more just for that plotline....
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #3587 on: April 01, 2011, 12:28:49 AM

I haven't read that far, but yes, it's supposed to be in the latest book.
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #3588 on: April 01, 2011, 01:23:28 AM

Yes, that stuff all happens in the latest book, but IMO it was pretty anti-climactic.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #3589 on: April 01, 2011, 02:56:26 PM

I burned right through Brust's Tiassa, though the last section was a bit of a chore as it is narrated by Paarfi (i.e., the pseudo-Dumas style from the earlier Khaavren books).

Brust actually dishes out some good answers to long-term questions, and we have some decent forward progress and set up for the next couple books.  Overall, the book had some good depth on top of doing some interesting things with shifting the narrative style around.  It was fun catching up with many of the secondary/tertiary surviving characters from the previous books.

The first section was very reminiscent of a Wolfe novel.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #3590 on: April 05, 2011, 03:38:09 PM

I've been looking for some new Urban Fantasy books to read, the only thing I've read really in the genre is the Dresden Files.  I'm having problems finding stuff in the genre that isn't really just a romance novel with vampires and werewolves.  Anyone have any suggestions?

On a side note I did just order all the Black Company novels, hoping they are decent from what I've read here.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3591 on: April 05, 2011, 03:45:03 PM

I've been looking for some new Urban Fantasy books to read, the only thing I've read really in the genre is the Dresden Files.  I'm having problems finding stuff in the genre that isn't really just a romance novel with vampires and werewolves.  Anyone have any suggestions?

I really like the Mercedes Thompson series by Patricia Briggs.  Which I'm slightly ashamed of because they're a little romance-novel-y, but they're also dang good urban fantasy IMO.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #3592 on: April 05, 2011, 04:17:51 PM

I really like the Mercedes Thompson series by Patricia Briggs.  Which I'm slightly ashamed of because they're a little romance-novel-y, but they're also dang good urban fantasy IMO.

I think I've spotted those last time I was at Barnes and Nobles.  I don't mind a little romance, I mean even Dresden has a bit in his novels.  I just don't want the whole "Fabio on the cover" kind of crap.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #3593 on: April 05, 2011, 05:32:00 PM

Well the cover art isn't... Fabio, anyway.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #3594 on: April 05, 2011, 05:44:10 PM

My wife read most of them and said the covers aren't representative of the books, or even close to being correct.  I'm still not touching them though.   Ohhhhh, I see.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #3595 on: April 05, 2011, 05:51:33 PM

If you want to go the other direction, The Nightside series of books by Simon Green. It's kind of campy in parts, and the hero is a bit too badass sometimes, but I enjoyed it.

There's also the Nightwatch series by Sergei Lukyanenko, which if you haven't already read, is very good.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #3596 on: April 05, 2011, 06:18:29 PM

My wife read most of them and said the covers aren't representative of the books, or even close to being correct.  I'm still not touching them though.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Cover and title says vampires. Did I guess right?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #3597 on: April 05, 2011, 08:14:49 PM

"Urban Fantasy" is a really, really broad category. 

1. The most popular is contemporary setting but with magic, female protagonist who is somehow flawed (or thinks she is), standing up to baddies (or redeeming them through the power of soft-core sex and/or love). (What the Anita Blake novels turned into, the Sookie Stackhouse books, etc.)
2. The typical male UF, which is basically a detective story with monsters that panders more towards the male wishfullfillment side.  (Dresden)
3. The magic realism or surrealist types, which aren't really as popular anymore.  (Charles De Lint)
4. The hard-boiled/noir books.  Similar to 2, but usually darker.
5. Romance novels, but with vampires.
6. Straight up smut.

- The first bunch of Laurel Hamilton's "Anita Blake" novels were pretty entertaining, before she veered off and it became vampire erotica.  Starts as 2, ends up as 6.
- I liked Kelley Armstong's Bitten.  The rest of her output follows the standard modern UF conventions in 1.
- The first three "Nightwatch" books are really good.  Basically contemporary Good vs Evil, but throws a bunch of curve balls.
- The Simon R Green "Nightside" books are pretty entertaining, if you like pulp.  It's basically pulpy over-the-top serial novellas that feel like they could have seen print in the '30s. Basically 2, but cheesy/campy.  It'll work for you, or you'll roll your eyes.
- Charlie Huston's series about Joe Pitt is good.  It's basically hard-boiled noir, but with vampires.  Funny asshole protagonist who gets shit on.  See 4.
- More old school is Charles De Lint's "Newford" books.  More magic realism, with touches of Native American spiritualism.  See 3.
- Neil Gaiman verges in this territory too...  Neverwhere is basically UF, and you could make an argument for American Gods and Anansi Boys.  Lot of 3, but mixing in different kinds of fantasy.

Try Gaiman's Neverwhere and pick up Nightwatch by That_Russian_Guy.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #3598 on: April 05, 2011, 08:28:30 PM

I've read the Nightwatch stuff already and I was planning on trying Gaiman out.  I was waiting for the 10th anniversary edition of American Gods to come out in a couple of months.

I'll have to take a look at some of the stuff mentioned.  UF is a pretty broad category.. I am looking for stuff more akin to the Dresden books.  He really just needs to write faster  awesome, for real.

I was also told to pick up the Repairman Jack books.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #3599 on: April 05, 2011, 08:43:22 PM

Of the UF of my daughter's that I have read, Kelley Armstrong, Carrie Vaughn, and Kim Harrison seem the most readable (Harrison especially has a more SF vibe to it, with a fairly well thought out alternate history and laws of magical physics).  Armstrong is the most soap operish, but it reads at a good clip without too much navel gazing.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #3600 on: April 05, 2011, 09:04:20 PM

Of the UF of my daughter's that I have read, Kelley Armstrong, Carrie Vaughn, and Kim Harrison seem the most readable (Harrison especially has a more SF vibe to it, with a fairly well thought out alternate history and laws of magical physics).  Armstrong is the most soap operish, but it reads at a good clip without too much navel gazing.

--Dave

Armstrong is really disappointing.  Her first book is really solid, and has some heavy undertones....  the conflict is between her natural drives (werewolf, ex-fiance she still loves) and trying to blend in as a single professional woman at a standard_modern_job/life, and if she can fashion a third way.

The rest are basically soap operaish, though that's still much better than the "damaged girl that every guy/monster wants" books.

I read maybe two or three of the Harrison books, and couldn't stand the fact that nearly every man she met (and a good portion of the women) wanted to marry the lead and have her babies.  I mean... I could understand if they just wanted to get in her pants...  it's shallow, but somewhat believable.  Literally men she barely knew were falling in true love with her right and left.

Much of the conflict largely seemed driven by people being stupid, as well.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3601 on: April 05, 2011, 11:33:05 PM

There are some vampires in the books, but the main character is a werecoyote (technically a "walker", which is a Native American shaman who can turn into a coyote, different from a lycanthrope) who was raised by werewolves and learned the mechanic trade from a gremlin.  Also there are ghosts and witches and fae and I forget what else.  It's pretty Dresden-esque but with better writing IMO.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Arrrgh
Terracotta Army

Reply #3602 on: April 06, 2011, 04:24:04 AM

On a side note I did just order all the Black Company novels, hoping they are decent from what I've read here.

What you're trying to avoid is Paranormal Romance novels. I wish they'd stick them in the romance section, or a new section, instead of the science fiction section.

Good...Felix Castor novels, Detective Inspector Chen novels, Joe Pitt books, Codex of Souls series.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #3603 on: April 06, 2011, 06:33:13 AM

There are some vampires in the books, but the main character is a werecoyote (technically a "walker", which is a Native American shaman who can turn into a coyote, different from a lycanthrope) who was raised by werewolves and learned the mechanic trade from a gremlin.  Also there are ghosts and witches and fae and I forget what else.  It's pretty Dresden-esque but with better writing IMO.
Huh, that sounds pretty interesting. Not sure why I've not looked into the books before.

What you're trying to avoid is Paranormal Romance novels. I wish they'd stick them in the romance section, or a new section, instead of the science fiction section.

Good...Felix Castor novels, Detective Inspector Chen novels, Joe Pitt books, Codex of Souls series.
Sadly, books like that are already in the romance section, just as straight up romances wiht that supernatural element.  Reading trashy romances is a guilty pleasure for when I visit my mom and some of the storylines I've seen in those books...  swamp poop   Why have historical romances gone out of style?  I can totally understand the semi-helpless damsel in distress swept off her feet byt the "dangerous" lord when it's disguised in a Victorian settings much better than I can accept someththing similar set in modern times.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3604 on: April 06, 2011, 06:45:09 AM

I keep thinking you guys are discussing Urban Romance  ACK!
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread  
Jump to: