Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:08:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Return of the Book Thread  (Read 1309850 times)
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #3430 on: February 28, 2011, 03:53:10 PM

By the way, The Wise Man's Fear is being released tomorrow.  It's the sequel to The Name of the Wind, which was the most hyped fantasy debut of the last few years.
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #3431 on: February 28, 2011, 06:31:31 PM

Thanks, I had forgotten about that.

AND hes going to be at powells on the 2nd? Hmmm.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 07:54:13 PM by FatuousTwat »

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #3432 on: March 01, 2011, 06:33:06 AM

discovering older authors like Ursula K. LeGuin (currently reading The Lathe of Heaven)

The Left Hand of Darkness is very, very good. 
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #3433 on: March 01, 2011, 08:12:20 PM

discovering older authors like Ursula K. LeGuin (currently reading The Lathe of Heaven)

The Left Hand of Darkness is very, very good. 
I took a rather good class on Science Fiction in college (required upper-level English credit) that had both Lathe of Heaven and The Left Hand of Darkness on the list.

The others I can recall were: Frankenstein, War of the Worlds, Neuromancer, Childhood's End...

Was a great class, though. Three sets of three books (early sci-fi, hence Frankenstein and wells), 50's sci-fi (Golden Age) and then modern -- neuromancer for the beginnings of cyberpunk.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #3434 on: March 01, 2011, 10:03:29 PM

I've tried several times to read the left hand of darkness and have never gotten more than 20 pages in. I think it's her writing style, because I didn't care for wizard of earthsea either.

I recently read the lost fleet series, which is "OK" space opera. Now doing a real oldie, the sector general series.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #3435 on: March 02, 2011, 07:55:56 AM

The Wise Man's Fear, Patrick Rothfuss's follow up to "The Name of the Wind" is out.

I'm currently churning through the Malazan books again -  currently on 'Reaper's Gale" and enjoying it a lot more this time around.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3436 on: March 02, 2011, 07:59:45 AM

The Wise Man's Fear, Patrick Rothfuss's follow up to "The Name of the Wind" is out.

Yes, we saw that at the top of the page.

-Rasix
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #3437 on: March 02, 2011, 08:05:45 AM

awesome, for real

I sometimes wonder if there is a secret ignore function.

Erikson's The Crippled God, book ten and final Malazan book, is out now too.  There are a pile of releases in March/April I have on my radar, after a the winter release drought.

It's getting as bad as video games....
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #3438 on: March 02, 2011, 08:10:45 AM

Did you guys know that The Crippled God is out now too!

awesome, for real

Sorry, Johny - I usually read at least the last page of a thread I post to... usually.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3439 on: March 02, 2011, 08:20:25 AM

I think it's next to Black Company on the shelves.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3440 on: March 02, 2011, 08:30:56 AM

I was hoping to have caught up with Erikson by the release of The Crippled God. I started reading Gardens of the Moon last April, iirc.

I just began Toll the Hounds  awesome, for real

I read slow, try to savor it and really get a good mental picture built up. I also like to hear the voices, sometimes I read it out loud. Bugg is John Cleese, btw. Although sometimes that switches to Tehol being Cleese and Bugg is Eric Idle, depending on the silliness of the passage.
WayAbvPar

Reply #3441 on: March 02, 2011, 08:43:03 AM

His style is tough to breeze through- I am a pretty fast reader, but Erikson's books take me forever to finish. Kindle is helping- somehow makes it easier to concentrate.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #3442 on: March 02, 2011, 09:24:41 AM

Yeah, but the Malazan books have enough in them that breezing through them means missing something.  That's why rereads are almost required for this series, not that it's a huge hardship.

Dilemma time -

1 : do I tough it out and wait for The Crippled God to come out in paperback before reading
2 : buy the hardback version (note, I really don't care for hardbacks much at all)
3 : see if the library has the hardback available in the system, read it now and then buy the paperback when that finally comes out?

I'm leaning heavily towards option 3, obviously.  But if the book was just released, no idea when the hardback is going to be available in the library system.

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #3443 on: March 02, 2011, 09:27:14 AM

Yeah, but the Malazan books have enough in them that breezing through them means missing something.  That's why rereads are almost required for this series, not that it's a huge hardship.

Dilemma time -

1 : do I tough it out and wait for The Crippled God to come out in paperback before reading
2 : buy the hardback version (note, I really don't care for hardbacks much at all)
3 : see if the library has the hardback available in the system, read it now and then buy the paperback when that finally comes out?

I'm leaning heavily towards option 3, obviously.  But if the book was just released, no idea when the hardback is going to be available in the library system.

Depends on the system and book I've found.  I've had really good luck on occasion with the book being available shortly after release, and in other times, there's been a pretty significant delay.  Doesn't cost anything to go check though.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3444 on: March 02, 2011, 09:53:04 AM

Don't get me started on the buying pipeline. I call it the 'God Delusion issue'. Took three months to get the book ordered and processed and by then most of the discussion had died away. We're STILL trying to fix those pipelines, it's so goddamned frustrating. Especially when you have patrons asking for new books, it's no wonder they're going to bookstores (if they're lucky enough to have, you know, money).

I've been deal hunting for the hardcover version for months now, I got a good deal on Dust of Dreams but haven't turned up anything for the new one, yet.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3445 on: March 02, 2011, 09:59:56 AM

Don't buy the hardcover unless you are making a set, Rhyssa. Erickson's publisher is the assholes at "our paperbacks are more resiliant than our hardcovers" TOR.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #3446 on: March 02, 2011, 10:05:17 AM

I love my Kindle. New released of The Crippled God delivered in seconds for $10.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #3447 on: March 02, 2011, 10:08:00 AM

Don't buy the hardcover unless you are making a set, Rhyssa. Erickson's publisher is the assholes at "our paperbacks are more resiliant than our hardcovers" TOR.
Oh, I don't buy hardcovers unless I'm absolutely desperate to read the continuing story of some series.  I do have a mix of mass market paperbacks and some trade paperback sized books though, but that doesn't bother me.

I currently have a hardback from the library (House Name by Michelle West) and while I'm loving that I can read the lastest book, it's physically painful to hold that thing for any length of time while I'm reading.  I have to use both hands, generally prop the book on a blanket folded up on my lap and my hands still ache after a reading session.  Granted, I can read for hours at a time without moving more than it takes to turn a page, but I don't have those problems with paperbacks. :(

ETA - BLARGH on your ereaders.  Tantrum  I like having the physical book in my hands.  But I guess I'll have to give in some day. :(

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #3448 on: March 02, 2011, 10:17:28 AM

Oh, I don't buy hardcovers unless I'm absolutely desperate to read the continuing story of some series.  I do have a mix of mass market paperbacks and some trade paperback sized books though, but that doesn't bother me.

I currently have a hardback from the library (House Name by Michelle West) and while I'm loving that I can read the lastest book, it's physically painful to hold that thing for any length of time while I'm reading.  I have to use both hands, generally prop the book on a blanket folded up on my lap and my hands still ache after a reading session.  Granted, I can read for hours at a time without moving more than it takes to turn a page, but I don't have those problems with paperbacks. :(

ETA - BLARGH on your ereaders.  Tantrum  I like having the physical book in my hands.  But I guess I'll have to give in some day. :(

The Crippled God is out in Hardcover and Tradepaperback simultaneously.

The Tor bindings for the last couple books I've bought in hardcover (Cook and Gene Wolfe's latest)  have been fine, though.  I know what you guys mean about some Tor bindings...
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #3449 on: March 02, 2011, 11:11:30 AM

Have you tried an ereader? I felt exactly the same, until I tried one. Also, imagine not having to carry 10 pounds of books with you for a cross-country flight...

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Arrrgh
Terracotta Army

Reply #3450 on: March 02, 2011, 11:24:52 AM

Have you tried an ereader? I felt exactly the same, until I tried one. Also, imagine not having to carry 10 pounds of books with you for a cross-country flight...

Now I'm wondering how many eReder fans are in the group that complains hard backs are too heavy to comfortably hold up while reading.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3451 on: March 02, 2011, 11:30:28 AM

I've got all but the newest Malazan Book of the Fallen in hardcover, just under half are book club versions. I'd consider giving those up for the e-book version. Not a fan of paperbacks and the book club versions lack the good fonts and paper of full hardcovers. Right now I'm squeezing in a read of The Dark Brotherhood (Lovecraft and Divers Hands; Arkham House 1966) and the quality of old books makes me cry. We've sacrificed so much at the altar of cheap goods and high profit margins.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #3452 on: March 02, 2011, 12:40:52 PM

I yearn for the day when someone offers a trade in program to convert your real books to ebooks, should be able to take them to a recycling center pay a small fixed fee (like $1) and whallah you get the ebook.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #3453 on: March 02, 2011, 01:31:35 PM

I yearn for the day when someone offers a trade in program to convert your real books to ebooks, should be able to take them to a recycling center pay a small fixed fee (like $1) and whallah you get the ebook.

Mob  voilà  Mob

Also, see Sky's post for quality of older books.  Some people just like books is all.  I was reluctant to give up my Analog's and Asimov's periodicals and those are newsprint paper magazines, and you want me to just recycle all my paperbacks?  HEATHEN!

Didn't know the trade paperback of The Crippled God had come out at the same time.  Most publishers whore out the hardback for a year before they let any paperbacks come out, so hearing there is a trade out makes me happy.  Now to convince the husband I really need this book, considering I just bought 6 books off Amazon and have a library book I'm reading.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3454 on: March 02, 2011, 01:33:10 PM

I didn't want to invoke Trippy's wrath with that one  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
WayAbvPar

Reply #3455 on: March 02, 2011, 02:09:13 PM

I love books, but goddamn is my Kindle nice to haul around with me. No dog-ears, no stained/ripped pages, no cramps from holding the book with on hand, can lay it flat and read...it is wonderful.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3456 on: March 02, 2011, 06:51:23 PM

Pussies.

-Rasix
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #3457 on: March 02, 2011, 06:57:59 PM

That's exactly what I thought. Until my wife got one. I broke my Kindle (stepped on it, basically) and sat around and bitched for the 48 hours it took a new one to arrive, because I had gotten so used to it.

Of course, most of what forced us to switch was "too many damn books", "too many damn books we wanted to read at the same time" and "Having to have a seperate suitcase for books to take on a long trip".
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #3458 on: March 03, 2011, 12:00:13 AM

I've never had a problem with cramps/fatigue, my main reason for wanting* an ereader is space. I've got piles of books everywhere, and no bookcase space.

*Seriously, wtf is it taking so long to restock prs-650s everywhere?

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #3459 on: March 03, 2011, 06:41:51 AM

Dance With Dragons Publication Date Revealed
http://shelf-life.ew.com/2011/03/03/dance-with-dragons-date/

A Dance With Dragons will be published on July 12. The manuscript is huge — the publisher estimates the hardcover edition will run more than 900 pages, putting it about the same length as the longest book in the series, A Storm of Swords. Schedule your summer vacation accordingly.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: What took so long?

GEORGE R. R. MARTIN: I’m not sure I have a good answer. If I did, I would have taken less time. It’s enormous. It’s as long as A Storm of Swords. It’s very complicated. I have a lot of characters and points of view. And I’ve been doing a ton of rewriting, trying to get it where I wanted it to be. Some of these chapters I’ve rewritten more times than I can count before I’m satisfied with them.

Can you tease something from the book?

I don’t want to spoil any surprises. I can say all the characters people have been waiting for are there: Daenerys, Jon Snow, and Tyrion. There’s also new characters, and viewpoints from characters who did not have viewpoints before.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #3460 on: March 03, 2011, 07:44:04 AM

I love books, but goddamn is my Kindle nice to haul around with me. No dog-ears, no stained/ripped pages, no cramps from holding the book with on hand, can lay it flat and read...it is wonderful.

When the twins arrived, the Kindle was a perfect. Very easy to set up beside me and read while I fed one or both of the boys. I carry three things with me where ever I go. My iPod, my Kindle and my Blackberry.

The biggest issue I have is that I lend a LOT of books out and I can't anymore.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #3461 on: March 03, 2011, 07:59:44 AM

quotage

I'm sure he'll tie up a lot of loose ends.  Think we'll figure out who the "others" are supposed to be in this one?
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3462 on: March 03, 2011, 08:24:22 AM

Are we sure today is not April 1st?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #3463 on: March 03, 2011, 08:32:13 AM

Are we sure today is not April 1st?

http://grrm.livejournal.com/198122.html

Yes, I know. You've all seen publication dates before: dates in 2007, 2008, 2009. None of those were ever hard dates, however. Most of them... well, call it wishful thinking, boundless optimism, cockeyed dreams, honest mistakes, whatever you like.

This date is different. This date is real.

Barring tsunamis, general strikes, world wars, or asteroid strikes, you will have the novel in your hands on July 12. I hope you like it.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #3464 on: March 03, 2011, 09:44:44 AM

Between this and The Wise Man's Fear, 2011 is going down as a pretty awesome year for fantasy fans.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread  
Jump to: