Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 09:27:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Return of the Book Thread  (Read 1309719 times)
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #1050 on: January 14, 2008, 11:19:31 AM

I'm currently reading Euclid's The Elements, well, books 1 & 2 anyway.  I must have something wrong with me because I'm reading it for fun.  Not only that but I just finished QED a little while ago.

Well, I don't have trouble sleeping so I guess that's a good thing.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1051 on: January 14, 2008, 01:35:10 PM

I liked Interview but I could barely read The Vampire Lestat. The character was cheesy and the book had a very different feel overall. After I finished that I was cured of Ann Rice forever. She descended into self-parody almost immediately.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1052 on: January 14, 2008, 02:12:55 PM

Just picked up:

Brass Man by Neil Asher
The Algebraist by Ian Banks
Latest Gaunt's Ghost novel

Bout a third of the way through Brass Man and it's meh.  I've never read him before,  and I realize I'm starting with a sequal.  I actually don't mind starting in the middle of series and figuring out background info from context.  Story is meh-ish, plotting meh. 

Going to try and get up to speed on the Banks novels.

Warhammer 40k is a guilty pleasure.

I just finished Michael Swanwick's Dragons of Babel.  Very entertaining.  Steampunkish, with alternate history and heavy mythological touches.  I'd been looking for some of Swanwick's stuff for a while, but seems like it's never in stock in bookstores.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #1053 on: January 14, 2008, 09:20:46 PM

I read that a month or two ago. I didn't like the universe quite as well as his Culture books but he has a good villain and characters in this one. He gets a bit more playful than in some of his others.  Plot is sorta standard but his books usually aren't that much about the plot anyways.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #1054 on: January 15, 2008, 10:21:09 AM

I read that a month or two ago. I didn't like the universe quite as well as his Culture books but he has a good villain and characters in this one. He gets a bit more playful than in some of his others.  Plot is sorta standard but his books usually aren't that much about the plot anyways.
It's been awhile since I read any of his non-sci-fi stuff, but IIRC, that's a lot more plot driven. I liked The Algebraist. It did feel quite playful in places.
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #1055 on: January 15, 2008, 10:45:54 PM

Brass Man is definitely meh but don't let that put you off of Neal Asher.  It is by far his worst one.  Gridlinked, Cowl, and The Skinner are all excellent.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1056 on: January 16, 2008, 01:53:09 AM

The Skinner was vaguely ok.

Trouble with Asher is his style.  I've always found his books a job to read and unfun in the extreme.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1057 on: January 21, 2008, 07:55:14 PM

Been playing EVE rather than read,  so haven't really made much more progress on Asher or Banks.

Wanted to let folks know that Glen Cook's The Dragon Never Sleeps is being rereleased on February 1.  I have yet to read it due to difficulty in finding a copy,  but it's pretty well regarded.  Used to make top 20 on the outdated "best of scifi/fantasy" listing (here's an old link: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Cavern/6113/t100256.txt). 
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1058 on: January 21, 2008, 08:19:39 PM

Been playing EVE rather than read,  so haven't really made much more progress on Asher or Banks.

You're doing it wrong.  awesome, for real I got a lot of reading done playing EVE, of course, less in 0.0.

Reading The Bonehunters at the moment.  Erikson keeps coming up with inventive ways to destroy cities.  I'll definitely be picking up The Dragon Never Sleeps, although I've got a stack of unread Cook as is.

-Rasix
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1059 on: January 21, 2008, 08:30:05 PM

I've nearly finished Pursued By Furies: A Life of Malcolm Lowry and have really enjoyed it. I felt at first that I was never going to get through it in the couple of weeks I had it out from the library, but have found it very interesting, informative and amusing. The length and detail of the biography is amazing. My only issue with the book is that Bowker's obvious dislike of Aiken and Marjorie sometimes goes beyond mere reporting and includes unnecessary personal criticisms.

Still, an amazing account of a writer and an alcoholic.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1060 on: January 22, 2008, 09:35:47 AM

Just finished Modesitt's Flash. Great book, lots of fun. Continuing through the standalones we have on the shelf here, I just started  The Eternity Artifact.

Stopped by B&N over the weekend and got Robert Howard's Sword of Solomon and a nice collections of HP Lovecraft's favorite horror tales (Poe, Chalmers, Bierce, etc).
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #1061 on: January 22, 2008, 10:08:45 AM

Finished 'Legend', perfect book to read on the Train on the way to work. Will definitely take a look at some of Gemmell's other books.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1062 on: January 22, 2008, 10:26:37 AM

Just finished Modesitt's Flash. Great book, lots of fun. Continuing through the standalones we have on the shelf here, I just started  The Eternity Artifact.

Stopped by B&N over the weekend and got Robert Howard's Sword of Solomon and a nice collections of HP Lovecraft's favorite horror tales (Poe, Chalmers, Bierce, etc).

Will check out Modesitt's book.  I think he writes well,  and can come up with some great concepts....  I do think that he sometimes milks his series a little too long.  I just recently found out that he's also a Williams grad.

I have Howard's Solomon, Kull, and Bran Mak Morn collections on my shelf to get to one of these days.  Wasn't as motivated to tear through it as the Conan collections.

I either own or have eyed buying that collection of Lovecraft's favorite horror stories.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1063 on: January 22, 2008, 10:28:27 AM

Finished 'Legend', perfect book to read on the Train on the way to work. Will definitely take a look at some of Gemmell's other books.

Gemmell is a great entertainment read.  It's not great literature, but it's damn fun.  Make sure to pick up Waylander.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #1064 on: January 22, 2008, 02:11:17 PM

I've been reading the Dread Empire and Black Company collections that came out recently, I'd forgotten just how good Cook is at what he does.  Though finally getting to read Dread Empire, I've found Erikson's Malazan borrows a bit more from Cook than I had initially realized.  Especially in the Mocker/Kruppe area. 

...speaking of Erikson, on the Bonehunters now and is it just me or was Greyfrog's speech pattern ripped wholesale from HK47?

Placating tone.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #1065 on: January 23, 2008, 10:37:34 AM

Will check out Modesitt's book.  I think he writes well,  and can come up with some great concepts....  I do think that he sometimes milks his series a little too long.  I just recently found out that he's also a Williams grad.
I sort of agree  on the milking, but on the other hand -- his longest series (Recluce) is something like 12 or 14 books. The longest "story" is a sequel (there are like three or four paired books), and he's jumped around all over the time line and done something rather interesting in giving alternative points of view. (You get all the "White Mages Suck" stuff, and then he starts throwing out the white mages perspective and things aren't even remotely the same).

On the other hand, almost all his books tell the same sort of story. His sci-fi (Flash, Parafaith War, Ethos Effect, Eternity Artifact, The Octogonal Raven) have very similiar characters facing very similar problems -- the only real difference is the technology and the specifics of their ethical solution. (His sci-fi books are, at base, almost entirely about ethics in one way or another). I actually enjoy them for that reason, and the characters, plots, and problems (ethical and otherwise) are different enough to keep me interested.

So far, I think I've enjoyed his Corean books the most.

He is a good writer, and he hasn't yet fallen into Alan Dean Foster's habit of spending WAY too much time with the prose and too little time with the story. (Alan Dean Foster has, as best I can explain it, gotten to the point in his career where he doesn't really need to think about characterization or plot that much, and so spends all his writing effort on flowery prose. I've actually had to look words up on occasion, something I haven't had to do for a fiction book since I was 12.)
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1066 on: January 23, 2008, 04:09:47 PM

I sort of agree  on the milking, but on the other hand -- his longest series (Recluce) is something like 12 or 14 books. The longest "story" is a sequel (there are like three or four paired books), and he's jumped around all over the time line and done something rather interesting in giving alternative points of view. (You get all the "White Mages Suck" stuff, and then he starts throwing out the white mages perspective and things aren't even remotely the same).

On the other hand, almost all his books tell the same sort of story. His sci-fi (Flash, Parafaith War, Ethos Effect, Eternity Artifact, The Octogonal Raven) have very similiar characters facing very similar problems -- the only real difference is the technology and the specifics of their ethical solution. (His sci-fi books are, at base, almost entirely about ethics in one way or another). I actually enjoy them for that reason, and the characters, plots, and problems (ethical and otherwise) are different enough to keep me interested.

So far, I think I've enjoyed his Corean books the most.

He is a good writer, and he hasn't yet fallen into Alan Dean Foster's habit of spending WAY too much time with the prose and too little time with the story. (Alan Dean Foster has, as best I can explain it, gotten to the point in his career where he doesn't really need to think about characterization or plot that much, and so spends all his writing effort on flowery prose. I've actually had to look words up on occasion, something I haven't had to do for a fiction book since I was 12.)

My take:

Modesitt spends a great deal of effort to set up some early world-building that will lead to interesting stories.  The first few books usually explore those themes in a well-written manner,  with a good mix of multi-book story, single book plot, society development,  and character development.  By book 3 or 4,  he's finished with the interesting original themes but continues to crank out well-written books that don't cover much or any new ground.

The Recluce books,  which I stalled out on starting with the Chaos viewpoint ones, really fell into this trap.  Young man sent out into the world, gets in adventures, discovers that his early life/training allows him to come to a place of emotional maturity/acceptance of the world and find True Love, this lets him do some crazy magic/engineering thing to win.

That summary sounds awful depreciatory,  so I'll say again that I really liked his first few books.  Good attention to detail,  and the long sections on the ordinary life of a character are actually very engaging.

The Corean books were pretty interesting as long as it was about a guy caught up in a war,  making ethical choices,  and trying to get home to his wife.  Modesitt lost me with the introduction of the crazy-evil-bodysnatchers from another dimension here for all thier resources.  Basically,  when he started the shift in story from a man vs. uncaring world to a more traditional "epic hero quest" storyline.

Honestly,  I haven't picked up any of the other Corean books (want to say stopped at 3 or 4?) so I may have extrapolated too far with limited information.

I enjoyed the "Ghosts of Columbia" books because they're more of a straight up spy/intrigue plotline in an alternate history,  and haven't picked up any of his scifi yet.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1067 on: January 23, 2008, 09:25:03 PM

I'm almost done with the book of Cordwainer Smith stories. I'm a little dissapointed in that I'd already read more of them than I thought, including most of my favorite ones.

It's really odd stuff, beyond weird or imaginitive and into "this guy's brain just works differently" territory. Interesting that he was an expert in psychological warfare.

It's hard to describe the appeal of his stuff. His characters are weak and his stories are not plot-driven at all. The writing style is not standout. The appeal is all conceptual. It's not future fantasy and it doesn't really read much like typical far-future speculative fiction either. Hard to think of another author like him.

"The game of rat and dragon" and "scanners live in vain" are probably my favorites.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1068 on: January 23, 2008, 09:31:03 PM

I'm almost done with the book of Cordwainer Smith stories. I'm a little dissapointed in that I'd already read more of them than I thought, including most of my favorite ones.

It's really odd stuff, beyond weird or imaginitive and into "this guy's brain just works differently" territory. Interesting that he was an expert in psychological warfare.

It's hard to describe the appeal of his stuff. His characters are weak and his stories are not plot-driven at all. The writing style is not standout. The appeal is all conceptual. It's not future fantasy and it doesn't really read much like typical far-future speculative fiction either. Hard to think of another author like him.

"The game of rat and dragon" and "scanners live in vain" are probably my favorites.

Dammit.  I keep forgetting to pick up Cordwainer Smith.  I've made a note to do it 3 or 4 times now,  and just slips my mind.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #1069 on: January 23, 2008, 09:37:40 PM

Hmm. You both forgot to mention just how furry some of his stories are. awesome, for real
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1070 on: January 23, 2008, 09:55:16 PM

Is he the inventor of the catgirl?  ACK! I do find myself thinking that from time to time, as if some Japanese guys read his stuff and ran with it. Kind of a funny thought.

His affinity for animals really comes through in the stories. For example I love the description of the dog family that finds Vom Acht in "Mark Elf." (Or maybe "Queen of the Afternoon") It's such a weirdly romantic notion that dogs have become intelligent but are still man's best friend and love getting scratched on the head. And then there is "The Game of Rat and Dragon", especially the final lines.

Edit: Cee did you give up on Books of Blood? Did you see my list of stories I thought were the standouts?

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1071 on: January 23, 2008, 10:00:50 PM

Is he the inventor of the catgirl?  ACK! I do find myself thinking that from time to time, as if some Japanese guys read his stuff and ran with it. Kind of a funny thought.

His affinity for animals really comes through in the stories. For example I love the description of the dog family that finds Vom Acht in "Mark Elf." (Or maybe "Queen of the Afternoon") It's such a weirdly romantic notion that dogs have become intelligent but are still man's best friend and love getting scratched on the head. And then there is "The Game of Rat and Dragon", especially the final lines.

Edit: Cee did you give up on Books of Blood? Did you see my list of stories I thought were the standouts?

Not quite given up,  but I'm letting it rest a bit before plowing back in.  Sometimes it's just a tone/style adjustment before I really start to get into a story.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1072 on: January 23, 2008, 10:11:43 PM

You'll see more erections and hear more about bowels in Books of Blood than in the entire rest of your life. I do remember that sort of weirded me out at first.

He also has a fair amount of range. Some of his stories are just fucking weird, some are Lovecraftian, some are funny, some are just awful (in a good way), some are ghost stories, some are rifts on familiar themes, etc. And that continues into Books of Blood volume 2 as well. Very diverse.

I'm usually not one that pays a lot of attention to writing style but I did notice his was evocative, descriptive and dense with meaning and detail. One of his stories in volume 2 has probably my favorite writing in horror fiction. (Describing someone who may or may not be death incarnate)

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1073 on: January 29, 2008, 10:55:22 AM

Finished The Eternity Artifact. Maybe the best of Modesitt's scifi stand-alone stuff. Really enjoyed it. Picked up The Elysium Commission, hasn't grabbed me yet. Kind of in the mood for something different right now, I just blasted through a bunch of Modesitt scifi.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1074 on: January 29, 2008, 01:30:06 PM

Read through Cryptonomicon in 4 or 5 days.  Enjoyed it very much.

Maybe I'll be motivated enough to pick up System of the World where I left off half way through.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #1075 on: January 29, 2008, 06:58:31 PM

You're a scary man.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1076 on: January 29, 2008, 08:32:22 PM

You're a scary man.

Did I mention I worked all those days?

Tax season supercharges my reading speed.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1077 on: January 30, 2008, 06:19:05 AM

My fiancee is a crazy speed reader. She uses my pc to update her Good Reads profile, a couple days ago she added some Clapton biography. I hadn't realized she was reading it, I usually know what she's reading, so I asked her if she had read it that morning. Yep. She's scary. But not as scary as her cat lady friend who reads multiple books a day.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #1078 on: January 30, 2008, 08:07:50 AM

If someone speed-reads then they miss a lot.  You can choose to churn through books or you can choose to pick up the nuances and appreciate the work that the writer has put into them (though I admit that biographies of Eric Clapton are probably best read as quickly as possible).  I can "read" a book in an afternoon, sure.  But I have gained less from it than I have acquired from the accompanying Cliff's Notes.

This isn't sour grapes from someone who doesn't read quickly: since I was born in a certain week in a certain year in the UK I am part of a lifelong national study which gathers a wide variety of data (BCS70, if anyone is really interested).  As part of this I undergo periodic testing on reading ability, speed and comprehension, and I literally test off the scale for reading speed and comprehension.  But I am also aware (having been exposed to a speed-reading evangelist on a horrible plane flight, and having then done some research of my own to ascertain the vaule or otherwise of his claims) that studies show you're not going to get much above 10 words per second sustained reading spead (averaging half that if not college-educated), and at that rate comprehension is beginning to fall off.  The Guiness Book of Records people claming 25,000 words per minute are circus show types.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #1079 on: January 30, 2008, 08:12:56 AM

You should be able to read a book in an afternoon; one page per minute is about what I read, and that's fast but not speed reading or circus freak fast.

Given that a books are a few hundred pages, many, if not most, can be finished starting after lunch and before dinner. It really doesn't take that long if reading is a hobby and you devote as much time to it as other people devote to TV shows or mmorpurgers.

Cryptonomicon is of course an exception, that thing's over a thousand pages right? I never got into it; too many characters to keep straight.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 08:17:41 AM by bhodi »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1080 on: January 30, 2008, 08:35:15 AM

I read very slowly. I like to let my imagination really take hold of scenes and experience the moment. If a book has characters with interesting accents, I like to imagine them speaking that way and often mutter the parts out loud, to the amusement of my fiancee.

Just got in Olbermann's book, first on the holds list for it! Good timing, as I left the Modesitt book in the truck at the shop.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1081 on: January 30, 2008, 09:30:38 AM

I think I have an average reading speed of 60-100 pages an hour.  Dense or complicated writing is slower until I get a framework for how to digest the text.

Authors I'm familiar with (so I know their style, general vocab, etc.) I'll get up to 150 pages an hour,  but at that point I'm just reading the first couple of letters of each word and running it through my internal template on that author, then rough checking it against word/sentence/paragraph length.  It's not really reading as much as reconstructing the text.

I always scored in the 99th percentile on reading comprehension tests.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #1082 on: January 30, 2008, 10:19:49 AM

I think I have an average reading speed of 60-100 pages an hour.  Dense or complicated writing is slower until I get a framework for how to digest the text.

Authors I'm familiar with (so I know their style, general vocab, etc.) I'll get up to 150 pages an hour,  but at that point I'm just reading the first couple of letters of each word and running it through my internal template on that author, then rough checking it against word/sentence/paragraph length.  It's not really reading as much as reconstructing the text.

I always scored in the 99th percentile on reading comprehension tests.
Oh, thank god I'm not the only one. :)

I can't do it with Stephenson, though, despite having read a lot of his work. But Pratchett, Modesitt, Alan Dean Foster, Stephen King...anyone really prolific, yeah. (They also tend to write far less densely than, say, Stephenson).
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 10:21:25 AM by Morat20 »
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #1083 on: January 30, 2008, 11:01:37 AM

I think it's fair to stop calling Stephenson's works books and start calling them tomes.
WayAbvPar

Reply #1084 on: January 30, 2008, 11:37:29 AM

I am very speedy reader too, but Stephenson bogs me down. As I get age, it seems better to take a bit more time with things I read for pleasure to savor and enjoy them. Anything official or for work? I blaze right through it, since it is usually very straightforward and written at a 5th grade level or so.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread  
Jump to: