Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 12:37:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Return of the Book Thread  (Read 1309144 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #5495 on: January 10, 2014, 04:24:27 AM

Speaking from long years of experience, Clinical Depression is just no fun at all.  His writeup covered how bad it can actually get.  His 'Suck my Dick' to the anti-medication crowd was also well done.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #5496 on: January 10, 2014, 05:10:07 AM

Finished Hold Me Closer Necromancer by Lish McBride. The Harry Dresden is strong in this one. It's on the border betwen YA and regular adult urban fantasy about a slacker college dropout who is rather comically/rudely made aware that he's the titular necromancer. The world building is kind of slim, but the characters make up for it. About the only real complaint I have is that everyone takes a few too many things that should be more than a little hair raising, completely in stride. I see that there's a second out and a third due this year, but this one at least stands fine on its own.
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #5497 on: January 18, 2014, 11:52:34 AM

I read The Walls of the Universe by Paul Melko this week. This is a modern Heinlein juvenile, if you liked those, you will most likely enjoy this one.  The basic premise is a young farm boy is out in the field when he sees himself coming towards him. It turns out to be another version of himself from a different dimension who has device to let him move among the dimensions. It's pretty obvious where things are going from the start as the new fellow convinces our fellow to try out the device. Our fellow finds out the thing only goes one way and the other guy wanted found a life like his own and he wanted it. This all happens fairly early in the book. The narrative then splits to follow both fellows as they adapt. It's not terribly deep and somewhat by the numbers, but it is fun, there are some mildly unexpected twists and it taps some of that gee whiz "SCIENCE" that's missing from a lot of current scifi.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #5498 on: February 02, 2014, 11:43:27 AM

The sequel to Sanderson's Way of Kings is out now, hopefully I'll be reading that in the next week or so.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #5499 on: February 02, 2014, 12:01:48 PM

The sequel to Sanderson's Way of Kings is out now, hopefully I'll be reading that in the next week or so.

Uhm, Amazon is saying March 4th release date.

But, my library did let me put a hold on the book which is listed as "On Order"

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #5500 on: February 02, 2014, 10:35:19 PM

You are correct Sir! I did not notice the purchase button was a pre-order button, you would think Amazon would wait until it was available before recommending it to me as a purchase.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #5501 on: February 02, 2014, 10:56:47 PM

Read Cornelius Ryan's three books on WWII: Longest Day (about D-Day), A Bridge Too Far (about Market-Garden), and The Last Battle (about taking Berlin).  Really amazing how much research he did and how he constructs things based upon individual narratives. Highly recommended if you like that subject.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #5502 on: February 03, 2014, 05:09:50 AM

You are correct Sir! I did not notice the purchase button was a pre-order button, you would think Amazon would wait until it was available before recommending it to me as a purchase.

It has been sitting in the sidebar of my "my account" pulldown for like 2 months  why so serious?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #5503 on: February 03, 2014, 08:19:59 AM

mine too, I'm 29 on the list but they've ordered 10 copies so I'll only have to wait until April to read it, unless I break down and buy it when it releases.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #5504 on: February 03, 2014, 07:31:57 PM

Next book on my list is Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence. Starts out pretty savage, so not sure what to expect but have heard pretty good things about it.

Just finished this trilogy - quite good. The first book is pretty brutal, and I had a hard time getting into it, but by the end I was hooked and flew through books 2 and 3. I recommend this trilogy if you can stomach the first book. The most interesting part was watching the main character grow from the terrible terrible kid in book one to a somewhat likable, but still evil, guy in book 3.

- Viin
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #5505 on: February 03, 2014, 08:08:05 PM

Next book on my list is Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence. Starts out pretty savage, so not sure what to expect but have heard pretty good things about it.

Just finished this trilogy - quite good. The first book is pretty brutal, and I had a hard time getting into it, but by the end I was hooked and flew through books 2 and 3. I recommend this trilogy if you can stomach the first book. The most interesting part was watching the main character grow from the terrible terrible kid in book one to a somewhat likable, but still evil, guy in book 3.

The first book suffers from trying too hard to hop on the modern fantasy "gritty"/"realistic" trend (basically it's Clockwork Orange during the Hundred Years War), but it gets toned down and is a good trilogy.

A similar book that marries some knights on horseback with more gray characters is The Red Knight, which I quite enjoyed.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #5506 on: February 04, 2014, 01:37:50 AM

I have been reading the Ender series by Orson Scott Card...figured I should at least check out the first few books.  I understand that OSC is considered a douche around here for whatever reason (as if his Mormonism wasn't reason enough), but had also heard that the first few books are worthy sci-fi.

The first book, I thought, was really very good.  Good concept, and quite well executed for the most part.  I'll admit to being more or less riveted.  I then read Speaker for the Dead, which is technically the third book, even though it seems the official second book (Ender in Exile) was written after the series was thought to be finished.  Oh well, not like it actually ruined anything.  Anyway, Speaker was quite a different book altogether, which I did not expect at all.  It was pretty good on it's own merits, if not quite as compelling as the first book.  After that, I guess it sort of goes downhill.  I know it is sci-fi, but still some things begin to stretch at plausability a little too much.  Too much deus ex machina being invoked, for one thing.  His plot needed an ability for instantaneous travel across the universe, and boom, ten minutes later they know exactly how to do it because that's what happens when smart people talk to each other.  Etc.  I continue to read the series, because I don't like leaving this shit hanging.  Thankfully the last book, which is sequentially actually the second book, goes back in time to where Ender is young.  Much better.

To sum up:  first book is pretty good, if you like the genre.  After that it is a decidedly mixed bag, but happily one can read the first book and then just leave it after that, because it has a firm enough ending.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #5507 on: February 04, 2014, 02:48:32 AM

I think the 'whatever' is because he's a vile conservative homophobic closet kiddy-fiddler.

Most of which comes through in his writing once you start analyzing it.

Also, he's a shit writer whom I enjoyed in my youth before I knew any better.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #5508 on: February 04, 2014, 06:06:00 AM

Heh, I'll keep that in mind as I finish off the last book.  I definitely picked up on the conversative vibe, but not really any of the more depraved stuff.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #5509 on: February 04, 2014, 07:10:04 AM

Heh, I'll keep that in mind as I finish off the last book.  I definitely picked up on the conversative vibe, but not really any of the more depraved stuff.

I picked up on it in Ender's Game (I read it a couple years ago for the first time) and I only knew that people thought Card was a reprehensible human being, no specifics to why.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #5510 on: February 04, 2014, 07:42:00 AM

Care to elaborate?  I am cursed in that I have the ability for any book or movie I am watching that I turn off a switch and just allow myself to be entertained without thinking too deeply.  Or maybe blessed is a better word.  And well, it isn't like I don't think about what I'm reading, I just usually am not thinking about the things the author might be trying to send to me through their craft.  I drove several of my English teachers crazy, you can imagine.

Not trying to put you on the spot if you don't remember.  I can't quite see it as I think back unless I am really stretching things...okay, he gets confronted in the shower while naked and kills a guy by ramming him with his head.  I suppose their could be some symbolic meaning there?  He also probably loves his sister more than what makes me comfortable, but that doesn't seem a likely message for him to be getting across.  Some of his superiors kind of "love" him, but it never seemed to be anything other than father-like to me.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #5511 on: February 04, 2014, 07:45:37 AM

I honestly don't remember specifics, I just know that there were facets of how things were described that raised flags when I read it. I have read a lot of books since then.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #5512 on: February 04, 2014, 07:56:25 AM

I drove several of my English teachers crazy, you can imagine.

That's because...

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #5513 on: February 04, 2014, 08:02:24 AM

Haha, yeah, I did a lot of that.  Because most of the time, the author was just describing the color of the curtains.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #5514 on: February 04, 2014, 08:11:28 AM

Read the Bean books.  Or don't.  I liked the Ender series before reading those.  It kind of sours the whole experience.

I get the disdain for English teachers/class, but being thick headed is going to drive them insane.  It's literature, not phonics. 

-Rasix
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #5515 on: February 04, 2014, 08:16:46 AM

Read the Bean books.  Or don't.  I liked the Ender series before reading those.  It kind of sours the whole experience.

I get the disdain for English teachers/class, but being thick headed is going to drive them insane.  It's literature, not phonics. 

I get that some authors might include a little hidden meaning here and there. English (literature) teachers, for the most part, read too damn much into shit in order to justify the fact that they are mostly fucking useless and need to justify their paychecks. Since writing education has mostly been separated from literature in high school and college, literature classes have been self sustaining bullshit for a long time.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #5516 on: February 04, 2014, 08:21:22 AM

Let me guess, you work in computers?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5517 on: February 04, 2014, 08:22:21 AM

He also probably loves his sister more than what makes me comfortable, but that doesn't seem a likely message for him to be getting across. 

If his relationship with his sister (and her relationship with their brother) in the first book doesn't creep you out, then you probably won't see what anyone is talking about with the kiddy-fiddling. There was a really strong incest vibe I got from all 3 of those characters - not to mention they are all super-intelligent super-annoying Mary Sues.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #5518 on: February 04, 2014, 08:22:51 AM

Actually, that chart is horrendously wrong.  If anyone is trying to teach you what 'The Author Intended' rather than what the text says, they're doing it all wrong.  Authorial Intent does Not Signify.

On the other hand, Card wrote a book about an old man that kidnapped, abused and killed young boys.  So there's that.

awesome, for real

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #5519 on: February 04, 2014, 08:23:41 AM

He also probably loves his sister more than what makes me comfortable, but that doesn't seem a likely message for him to be getting across. 

If his relationship with his sister (and her relationship with their brother) in the first book doesn't creep you out, then you probably won't see what anyone is talking about with the kiddy-fiddling. There was a really strong incest vibe I got from all 3 of those characters - not to mention they are all super-intelligent super-annoying Mary Sues.

It's pretty much spelled out that Peter was abusing Valentine in ways that he could not with Ender.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #5520 on: February 04, 2014, 08:25:12 AM

Was going to say, wasn't Valentine afraid Peter was going to rape her or something close at some point?  Ironwood got there before me.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #5521 on: February 04, 2014, 08:30:42 AM

I really don't mean to rip too harshly on literature teachers. It's just that I have had a few problems with more than a handful of them, in situations where they have insisted that my own personal writing contained meaning that I subconsciously put in there, when the reality was that I just wrote any damn thing to meet the word count so I would not get a bad grade.

Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #5522 on: February 04, 2014, 08:44:47 AM

Songmaster was one of the first Card books I read and it pretty much put me on alert, as that was one of his first books the hints aren't subtle.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #5523 on: February 04, 2014, 08:48:58 AM

Was going to say, wasn't Valentine afraid Peter was going to rape her or something close at some point?  Ironwood got there before me.

That's not true, I never touched Valentine.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #5524 on: February 04, 2014, 08:49:05 AM

Famous Novelists on Symbolism in Their Work and Whether It Was Intentional

It was 1963, and 16-year-old Bruce McAllister was sick of symbol-hunting in English class. Rather than quarrel with his teacher, he went straight to the source: McAllister mailed a crude, four-question survey to 150 novelists, asking if they intentionally planted symbolism in their work. Seventy-five authors responded. Here’s what 12 of them had to say.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #5525 on: February 04, 2014, 08:50:04 AM

Songmaster was one of the first Card books I read and it pretty much put me on alert, as that was one of his first books the hints aren't subtle.

Treason was pretty fucking blatant, but Lost Boys really, really, really was just fucking sordid.  As if the old man wasn't enough, the young bloke who like changing nappies to see baby parts was just all kinds of wow.

Seriously, Card, get some fucking help.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #5526 on: February 04, 2014, 09:19:08 AM

Famous Novelists on Symbolism in Their Work and Whether It Was Intentional

It was 1963, and 16-year-old Bruce McAllister was sick of symbol-hunting in English class. Rather than quarrel with his teacher, he went straight to the source: McAllister mailed a crude, four-question survey to 150 novelists, asking if they intentionally planted symbolism in their work. Seventy-five authors responded. Here’s what 12 of them had to say.

According to the end of that story the kid went on to become an English professor (which automatically got my internet hoax senses tingling). That would be rather awesome if true.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #5527 on: February 04, 2014, 11:15:39 AM

Read this if you're curious about where the 'authorial intent doesn't matter' school of thought comes from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorial_intent

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #5528 on: February 04, 2014, 11:54:25 AM

Or don't.  And don't fucking study it for four years either.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #5529 on: February 04, 2014, 03:26:09 PM

Read the Bean books.  Or don't.  I liked the Ender series before reading those.  It kind of sours the whole experience.

I get the disdain for English teachers/class, but being thick headed is going to drive them insane.  It's literature, not phonics.  

I get that some authors might include a little hidden meaning here and there. English (literature) teachers, for the most part, read too damn much into shit in order to justify the fact that they are mostly fucking useless and need to justify their paychecks. Since writing education has mostly been separated from literature in high school and college, literature classes have been self sustaining bullshit for a long time.

You've never met any authors have you?

English teachers err in they they often just repeat the rote 'meaning' in books that their education system provides them, which is truly awful when students are fully engaged and wanting/thinking more, but they don't err is saying that many authors spend a lot of time and effort to put stuff in there more than the surface-fucking-obvious.

That doesn't mean that you should read trying to work from the author, though.

Or don't.  And don't fucking study it for four years either.

I thought one year was more than enough. And that's with half the year taken up by holidays...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 03:33:47 PM by lamaros »
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread  
Jump to: