Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 09:35:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Return of the Book Thread  (Read 1309721 times)
WayAbvPar

Reply #4935 on: December 06, 2012, 09:04:29 AM

IT'S HERE!! IT'S HERE!!

/runs off to read.

There goes sleep tonight.

I would say I am jealous, but I am having a ball with my re-read. Mouse just showed up for the first time  Heart

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #4936 on: December 07, 2012, 07:50:27 PM

Yup.
Liked those a lot. Use the mythology/world building concepts in a small module I ran for friends.

I mean, it was still stock D&D, just with the different sorts of undead -- and charter-magic esque constructs.

It was actually a great deal of fun -- the magic was supposed to be unique to the players/characters, and none of them had read the books. It was hard to tell them "No, I'm not that creative. I'm taking something that's steampunky, running it through a D&D grinder, and handwaving half the steampunk as runic magic".

Ended with a climactic showdown deep inside Death, as they forced the big bad back Gate by Gate to banish him.

It made things like questioning the dead far more interesting and I liked having a necromancy setup that felt a lot more vile than the usual D&D setup.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #4937 on: December 07, 2012, 08:02:14 PM

IT'S HERE!! IT'S HERE!!

/runs off to read.

I would say I am jealous, but I am having a ball with my re-read. Mouse just showed up for the first time  Heart

My favorite Mouse moment takes place in Changes.   awesome, for real
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #4938 on: December 07, 2012, 11:43:32 PM

IT'S HERE!! IT'S HERE!!

/runs off to read.

My favorite Mouse moment takes place in Changes.   awesome, for real

Yep, Mouse has been reintroduced and I loved it!  So perfect.  And so far, the book is awesome!  Tempted to stay up and finish it tonight but I have the house to myself tomorrow so I can indulge then.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #4939 on: December 10, 2012, 06:53:00 AM

Well, definitely adding my vote to the best of the series so far.  The way Butcher's pulled in some threads is just great.  

Finishing up Side Jobs now as well.  The story about Michael was really well done.  Wonder how Harry's going to be getting along with Uriel now?

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #4940 on: December 10, 2012, 07:46:15 AM

Mister showed up in Ghost Story.  He was living at Murphy's place. He could see Harry's ghost and was one of the big reasons Harry's buddies came to believe that it was really him.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #4941 on: December 10, 2012, 08:17:49 AM

Mister showed up in Ghost Story.  He was living at Murphy's place. He could see Harry's ghost and was one of the big reasons Harry's buddies came to believe that it was really him.

Facepalm

Duh, you're right.  I have no idea why I forgot that.

dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #4942 on: December 10, 2012, 01:24:05 PM

Just re-read Charlie Huston's Joe Pitt Case Files books. They were even better the second time around.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #4943 on: December 17, 2012, 06:04:47 AM

Finally picked up and started reading Jack Vance's The Dying Earth series.  So very damn good.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #4944 on: December 17, 2012, 06:59:44 AM

Reading Abercrombie's "Best Served Cold" and I think I am enjoying it even more than the First Law trilogy (which I loved). Complete bastards, all of them - yet I can't help rooting for them.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4945 on: December 17, 2012, 07:51:54 AM

I'm currently reading Brom's Krampus.

Great reading for the season. A selection reading for the library xmas party was vetoed.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

+1 if you're of viking heritage.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #4946 on: December 17, 2012, 12:58:50 PM

Krampus is south German, not viking.  tongue

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4947 on: December 17, 2012, 03:12:18 PM

Norse mythology figures heavily into the book.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #4948 on: December 18, 2012, 06:49:07 AM

Finished reading Elantris.  I rather liked it and think I'll pick up the rest of Sanderson's books.  I figured I'd like his writing based on how he's been doing with the WoT books, but didn't want to drop a bunch of money right off.  Maybe I'll get the Mistborn books for Xmas.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #4949 on: December 18, 2012, 08:32:37 AM

The Mistborn books are good, I recommend them.

Also don't forget to read Jim Butcher's other books: Codex Alera

- Viin
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #4950 on: December 18, 2012, 09:09:19 AM

The Mistborn books are good, I recommend them.

Also don't forget to read Jim Butcher's other books: Codex Alera

I really enjoyed the Codex Alera stuff -- I think the first three were stronger than the last three (and I particularly liked the second book, which interestingly many cite as their least favorite in the series).

I think it would have been more interesting if
I absolutely love the story behind why he wrote the series... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylKRYe0ZWHo (@ 1m30)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #4951 on: December 19, 2012, 04:46:10 AM

Anybody familiar with David Eddings, with his Belgariad and Malloreon series of books?  Local librarian (in a Danish library with an English section) recommended them to my son, but I had never heard of them.  Son is 10, btw.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #4952 on: December 19, 2012, 05:35:12 AM

Anybody familiar with David Eddings, with his Belgariad and Malloreon series of books?  Local librarian (in a Danish library with an English section) recommended them to my son, but I had never heard of them.  Son is 10, btw.

If he is 10, then he is just about the age group they are aimed at. (The Belgariad is mostly aimed at the 12-14 age group, I think I was around 12 when I read them the first time).

Early Eddings stuff is an entertaining read as it is pretty dialogue driven (and he was good at writing it). There are also very few places where the pacing is a slog.

I am sure you will see a lot of comments from the neckbeards around here that it is totally a rip off of Tolkein, derivative, totally formulaic, etc.  tongue

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #4953 on: December 19, 2012, 05:55:23 AM

I currently find myself completely immersed in Asimov's sci-fi universe, having just finished reading the four main novels in the Robot-series for the first time, and about to pick up all the short-stories connected to that series before I move on to the Foundation-series, which I read some (but not all) of at my local library 15-16 years ago. I remember very little of the Foundation-series, except that I enjoyed it at the time. I'm hopeful that still holds true for my revisit to the series!

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
WayAbvPar

Reply #4954 on: December 19, 2012, 11:03:58 AM

Anyone have the Dresden books in a shareable Kindle format? In my re-read I have discovered that I am missing books 8 and 9 (Proven Guilty and White Knight) for some reason. They aren't in the Prime Lending Library and I am trying to avoid spending another $20 on them if possible. Send me a PM if you can help.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4955 on: December 19, 2012, 12:05:29 PM

10 might be a wee bit young but if he's at an advanced reading level it might be okay. I started reading them when they first came out in 6th or 7th grade (roughly same age as Chimpy).
WayAbvPar

Reply #4956 on: December 19, 2012, 12:18:04 PM

They are fun books. Story isn't terribly original, but the characters are fun and have some amusing conversations.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #4957 on: December 19, 2012, 01:09:09 PM

I am sure you will see a lot of comments from the neckbeards around here that it is totally a rip off of Tolkein, derivative, totally formulaic, etc.  tongue

Well, these things are all true, but they're still entertaining reading at that age.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #4958 on: December 19, 2012, 01:40:34 PM

Well, these things are all true, but they're still entertaining reading at that age.

Indeed.  I think I read them in middle school and enjoyed them quite a bit.  I suspect they have not held up well.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #4959 on: December 19, 2012, 06:47:34 PM

Actually, I think they have held up better than a lot of books I read as a teenager.

I re-read them when I have nothing else to read once every couple of years (which I do with pretty much every book I own). Sure, they are pretty basic plot-wise, but the quality of the dialogue makes his stuff still enjoyable. At least the stuff that was enjoyable in the first place...

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #4960 on: December 19, 2012, 10:28:01 PM

10 might be a wee bit young but if he's at an advanced reading level it might be okay. I started reading them when they first came out in 6th or 7th grade (roughly same age as Chimpy).

He's probably an above average reader for 10.  Probably way above average, considering English is his second language technically.  He's read all the Harry Potter books, all the Eragon books, The Hobbit and all the Darth Bane books from Star Wars.  So I guess it was as much a question of the appropriateness as anything else.  I mean, there isn't constant gang-raping scenes and whatnot.

And Chimpy is only a 6th grader?!  He must also be above average.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #4961 on: December 20, 2012, 01:50:52 AM

Har de fucking har tongue

There is not anything really inappropriate in the belgariad. The mallorean is more oriented towards the late teenaged or adult audience with a smattering of innuendo, but none of his fantasy books are overly graphic. His two fiction books are written for an adult audience.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #4962 on: December 20, 2012, 06:18:15 AM

The Belgariad and the Mallorean are practically the definition of light door-stopper epic fantasy. Standard plot, standard characters -- heck, the second series is basically the first retold. (Admittedly, he hangs a lampshade on it and the characters themselves first complain about it, and then use it to try to figure out what's gonna happen next. IIRC, it's some sort of Fate thing.)

Not exactly award winning, not awful, fairly well paced and generally easy to read. I think I read it sometime in junior high, maybe?

His other series (the one about the Knights of some sort) plays with a lot of the same concepts and is a bit more political than action oriented, but not by much. A tad more adult, basically, but nothing nearly as dark or gritty as, say, Martin. The main character isn't a kid, is about the major difference.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #4963 on: December 20, 2012, 07:27:44 AM

The Belgariad and the Mallorean are practically the definition of light door-stopper epic fantasy. Standard plot, standard characters -- heck, the second series is basically the first retold. (Admittedly, he hangs a lampshade on it and the characters themselves first complain about it, and then use it to try to figure out what's gonna happen next. IIRC, it's some sort of Fate thing.)

Hmm, okay...then what would you say about reading the Malloreon stuff first?  Would it technically be out of order or otherwise ruin the Belariad?  Reason I ask is because the library gave him the former series, and I told him to stop reading until I figured this out. 

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #4964 on: December 20, 2012, 10:37:48 AM

Read the Mallorean first? That's nuts.  Half the appeal of the Mallorean is that it brings back all of the characters that you liked in the Belgariad.  I can't imagine anyone liking it without reading the Belgariad first.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4965 on: December 20, 2012, 12:23:41 PM

Read the Mallorean first? That's nuts.  Half the appeal of the Mallorean is that it brings back all of the characters that you liked in the Belgariad.  I can't imagine anyone liking it without reading the Belgariad first.
Plus The Malloreon isn't nearly as good as The Belgariad.

As for appropriateness it should be fine for him. If he's read the Potter books already there's nothing in The Belgariad that's worse than what's in those.
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #4966 on: December 20, 2012, 12:28:15 PM

Just finished up my marathon Dresden read, everything other than Storm Front and Side Jobs. After some browsing around, I must be one of the very few who liked Ghost Story and hoped it was a return to a smaller setting for Dresden. Cold Days was interesting from a fleshing out the world stand point and he wrenched the dial right back to 11. Anyone know how old Harry is? Some minor quibbles, could have done with out the return of edgy sex stuff written by a fairly vanilla guy and what's the deal with pointing out every single pun? Overall, it was still fairly good and I'll be waiting for the next one. Though Joe Pitt would walk up to Harry, take his blasting rod, beat him senseless with it and tell him to quit being a pussy, shit happens.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #4967 on: December 20, 2012, 12:31:24 PM

Hmm, okay...then what would you say about reading the Malloreon stuff first?  Would it technically be out of order or otherwise ruin the Belariad?  Reason I ask is because the library gave him the former series, and I told him to stop reading until I figured this out. 
Read the Belgariad first. The Mallorean is a sequel. So, you know, it'd be a bit confusing insofar as you'd have a lot of characters that don't get introduced, also sort of spoils some of the Belgariad plot. Well, kinda of all of it.

Yeah. So Belgariad first. It being epic fantasy, order's sort of important.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #4968 on: December 20, 2012, 02:05:00 PM

If he likes those, Eddings also did the Elenium and the Tamuli.  Trilogies instead of quintets this time around but I still enjoyed them.  Ah, to be young again.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #4969 on: December 20, 2012, 02:42:51 PM

Just finished up my marathon Dresden read, everything other than Storm Front and Side Jobs. After some browsing around, I must be one of the very few who liked Ghost Story and hoped it was a return to a smaller setting for Dresden. Cold Days was interesting from a fleshing out the world stand point and he wrenched the dial right back to 11. Anyone know how old Harry is? Some minor quibbles, could have done with out the return of edgy sex stuff written by a fairly vanilla guy and what's the deal with pointing out every single pun? Overall, it was still fairly good and I'll be waiting for the next one. Though Joe Pitt would walk up to Harry, take his blasting rod, beat him senseless with it and tell him to quit being a pussy, shit happens.

I liked Ghost Story as well.  Not one of my top ones, but it really showed how shit went to hell after Harry "died" in Changes.  The funny thing with Harry is he's got power, but he's usually still outclassed by the big baddies.  That and he gets his ass saved a lot.  Even the Winter Knight powers has drawbacks.
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread  
Jump to: