Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:41:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Return of the Book Thread  (Read 1309813 times)
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #4690 on: August 16, 2012, 08:07:30 PM

I'm a cover discarder.  They just get in the way.  Also they often hide a really nice exterior of a book.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #4691 on: August 17, 2012, 04:36:32 AM

Quote from: Quinton link=topic=7548.msg1100797 #msg1100797 date=1345172850
I'm a cover discarder.  They just get in the way.  Also they often hide a really nice exterior of a book.

Eek!  The book collector in me is terrified by this statement.

But the reader in me understands.  :)

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #4692 on: August 17, 2012, 04:54:14 AM

That's what the wife said after she read it.  But really, how can avoid being somewhat of a ripoff if you've got elves and dwarves and talking trees and such?

I don't recall any elves and only one dwarf (who was a human with dwarfism) in the Belgariad.  They aren't the deepest books but I still like them and they only really copy LOTR in the formulation of the BIG BAD and the Wizards.  Not, to say they aren't formulaic but, eh, very little fantasy isn't.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 07:47:33 AM by Murgos »

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4693 on: August 17, 2012, 06:49:46 AM

Mind you, Sky, Moorcock's characters are also terribly, terribly shallow, but at least his world building, etc., is unique.
I've found character depth is often overrated. Sometimes a great pulpy action novel is enough.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4694 on: August 17, 2012, 10:37:40 AM

That's what the wife said after she read it.  But really, how can avoid being somewhat of a ripoff if you've got elves and dwarves and talking trees and such?

I don't recall any elves and only one dwarf (who was a human with dwarfism) in the Belgariad.  They aren't the deepest books but I still like them and they only really copy LOTR in the formulation of the BIG BAD and the Wizards.  Not, to say they aren't formulaic but, eh, very little fantasy isn't.

There are orcish/trollish bad guys too (whom Eddings portrays in an almost racist way, since he doesn't have the deep mythic/moral rationale for why they're evil that Tolkien has). There's a McGuffin rather like the One Ring. The whole thing starts with the innocent farmboy who gets caught up in grand events etc. thing that is admittedly a staple of fantasy in general but the Belgariad is clearly looking to Tolkien and hobbits first and foremost as a narrative callback on this one. etc.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #4695 on: August 17, 2012, 11:04:13 AM

Tolkein was just as derivative of older works of fiction/mythology as anyone else.

The only difference is most people have not read the stuff he derived his plotlines from.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #4696 on: August 17, 2012, 11:11:45 AM

The big difference is Tolkien isn't stylistically derivative, other than in the poems that everyone skips anyway.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #4697 on: August 17, 2012, 02:03:50 PM

For all you Dresden fans Cold Days is coming out 11/27.   awesome, for real
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #4698 on: August 17, 2012, 02:36:25 PM

The big difference is Tolkien isn't stylistically derivative, other than in the poems that everyone skips anyway.

You skip the poems?   ACK!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #4699 on: August 17, 2012, 02:38:36 PM

(Everyone but me. Hey dol merry dol.)

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #4700 on: August 17, 2012, 03:02:30 PM

I skipped 100% of the poems and songs when I read the Hobbit. Still haven't read LotR. I suspect poems would be skipped, though.

God Save the Horn Players
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #4701 on: August 17, 2012, 06:16:53 PM

You've never read TheLord of the Rings?   ACK! ACK! ACK!
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #4702 on: August 17, 2012, 06:19:10 PM

I didn't actually read LOTR til just before the first movie came out.  I had tried to read it a few times before that, but it bored the crap out of me.  Actually I probably wouldn't reread it now unless I was desperate.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #4703 on: August 17, 2012, 06:40:03 PM

Yahoo! Woot!

So can't wait.  While I was off I did a run through all the Dresden books again and was wondering when the next book came out.

Oh yeah, anyone been reading the chapters that are coming on on the Tor website for first book of the Kharkanas Trilogy, The Forge of Darkness by Erickson?  I don't mind books going back and filling in details of what happened, I just hope it doesn't turn into milking the series for all it's worth.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4704 on: August 18, 2012, 05:20:14 AM

I think there's a difference between a sort of 'primary derivation' from very old literary and mythological sources and one recent book closely following the tropes, narrative line and characterization of another recent book. Tolkien had to read and understand a lot of older literary works, make some decisions about how to adapt and distill and refashion what he read, and have a purpose in mind. Whereas, secondary derviations just say, "Ok, so here's Mordor "Land of Evil" where Sauron the evil king/dark lord lives, here's Gandalf an ancient wizard or warrior who needs enlist Frodo a young farm boy with a secret destiny on a quest to carry or find the One Ring the Magic McGuffin.

The secondary derivation has less work to do, doesn't have any vision beyond, "Make this enough like LOTR that people who liked LOTR will like this and enough not like it that I don't get sued". Sometimes this actually limits what might be interesting in its own way about a book, and sometimes I think the author almost doesn't know he's deriving. Christopher Paolini, say, who really didn't need elves and dwarves and the land of evil and all that, I think, but who was probably following the recipe almost the way Tolkien worked with his sources--for Paolini at 14 or whatever, LOTR must almost have been an ur-story, a founding myth. 
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #4705 on: August 18, 2012, 07:30:31 PM

The basic story in Butcher's Codex Alera was so old creaked, but I didn't notice until, well, pretty much the end.

To me, that's fairly impressive -- to tell not just a stock fantasy story, but one of THE stock fantasy stories  and to be surprised by it? Pretty solid.

I don't think there's a lot of new stories -- or even new ideas. In the end, your works are gonna be derivative of someone's -- if for no other reason than any fiction writer has read lots of stories, and is going to be influenced by them when he or she sits down to write their own.

Good writers take concepts, plots, ideas, characters -- from a lot of places, develop them conciously and unconciously in new ways. Bad ones? Bad ones just slap on a few new names and call it original.

Brook's Shannara books were, you know, pretty much straight up LoTR under different names. On the other hand, fantasy was a pretty arid wasteland at the time so Tolkien was basically it unless you (as Tolkien did) burrowed into myth and legend and melted them together. (And Tolkein's wasn't above stealing entire legends when it suited him.). He got better, to an extent, which is more than some writers.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #4706 on: August 18, 2012, 07:39:43 PM

I guess anything can be said to be derivative, it's just what level you're talking about.  There are only so many ways to tell a story
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #4707 on: August 18, 2012, 10:13:38 PM

I think there's a difference between a sort of 'primary derivation' from very old literary and mythological sources and one recent book closely following the tropes, narrative line and characterization of another recent book. Tolkien had to read and understand a lot of older literary works, make some decisions about how to adapt and distill and refashion what he read, and have a purpose in mind. Whereas, secondary derviations just say, "Ok, so here's Mordor "Land of Evil" where Sauron the evil king/dark lord lives, here's Gandalf an ancient wizard or warrior who needs enlist Frodo a young farm boy with a secret destiny on a quest to carry or find the One Ring the Magic McGuffin.

The secondary derivation has less work to do, doesn't have any vision beyond, "Make this enough like LOTR that people who liked LOTR will like this and enough not like it that I don't get sued". Sometimes this actually limits what might be interesting in its own way about a book, and sometimes I think the author almost doesn't know he's deriving. Christopher Paolini, say, who really didn't need elves and dwarves and the land of evil and all that, I think, but who was probably following the recipe almost the way Tolkien worked with his sources--for Paolini at 14 or whatever, LOTR must almost have been an ur-story, a founding myth.

Eh, I think it's down to the quality of the writing, not the intention or influences of the author. You can tell a great 'Land of evil/dark lord/wizard/farm boy' story without it being Paolini. To give Tolkien all the cred for such stories and deny them to others seems a bit unfair to me.

Also, LOTR, as mentioned above, is really really boring. Much more fun to talk about than read. If someone writes a really well crafted fantasy epic that turn the pages faster than my mind can keep up I'm giving just as much 'derivative' credit to authors like Dan Brown as Tolkien (which is to say - not at all - I'm not in to giving credit to other authors for something I enjoy in a book).
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4708 on: August 19, 2012, 03:29:28 PM

Part of the quality of the writing--maybe the biggest part--is not page-turning plotting or nice descriptions or whatever. It's ownership. When someone has real ownership over their storytelling, you can really feel it at every moment. Most of the worst derivatives, even if the story 'reads easy', don't have ownership and you can feel that palpably at every moment of what they are doing.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #4709 on: August 19, 2012, 05:56:48 PM

That "ownership" quality is what I've always hated about Kevin J. Anderson.  The stories are often decent at their base level, but there's something cooked-up feeling about the writing, as if it were paint by numbers. 

Then you have the flip side of that in someone like Lois McMaster Bujold and the Vokosigan series. 
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #4710 on: August 19, 2012, 09:55:35 PM

Part of the quality of the writing--maybe the biggest part--is not page-turning plotting or nice descriptions or whatever. It's ownership. When someone has real ownership over their storytelling, you can really feel it at every moment. Most of the worst derivatives, even if the story 'reads easy', don't have ownership and you can feel that palpably at every moment of what they are doing.

I guess that all depends on what you want a book to do. I would rather read the Da Vinci Code or any of my Clive Cussler's again before Lord of the Rings, even if I can recognise the ownership of Tolkien, appreciate the qualities of the work, and consider it to be 'better' in many ways.

I wrote my honours thesis on the author of one of the least read classics of the 20th century, so I'm not averse to some snobbery, but there are a lot of different ways a book can be 'good' which don't preclude them from being hugely flawed in others.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4711 on: August 20, 2012, 07:54:46 AM

I'm about 3/4 through REAMDE now; it's gotten better but I still feel it's much less good than Snow Crash. Too much Tom Clancy, not enough World of Warcraft.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4712 on: August 22, 2012, 12:11:17 PM

Finished Stonemouth by Iain Banks and The Long Earth by Pratchett and whatshisname.

Both Good.

Both have no idea how to end a book.

Sigh.  Seems Stephenson disease is catching.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #4713 on: August 22, 2012, 03:55:28 PM

As popular authors with major publishers they also have expert advice on such things.

Consider how the endings might have been before editing!
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #4714 on: August 24, 2012, 06:30:22 AM

btw thanks to whoever made the Wool Omnibus recommendation. Burned through that this week, fantastic!

Anyone else think that would make a good TV show? Getting a kind of BSG vibe from it.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #4715 on: August 24, 2012, 08:10:31 AM

So I had been on the fence on reading The Long Earth by Prachett and Stephen Baxter.  I took the plunge and it was a decent read all in all.  But seriously what was up with that ending it wasn't quite mid sentence but geez.

I have read a bunch of books this summer but very few stick out.  I really liked Ready Player One by Ernest Cline it was a great read once you got past the sheer amount of geek fanboism.  Red Shirts by John Scalzi was also excellent.  I also read a few other books by John Scalzi which were not to bad. 
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #4716 on: August 24, 2012, 08:18:06 AM

btw thanks to whoever made the Wool Omnibus recommendation. Burned through that this week, fantastic!

Anyone else think that would make a good TV show? Getting a kind of BSG vibe from it.

You are welcome. I was thinking the same thing about TV. To me, a production like Moon (surreal, contemplating, etc) would be perfect (for the first book at least).

- Viin
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #4717 on: August 25, 2012, 07:44:59 AM

I hope Cold Days is an improvement.  I didn't like Turncoat, thought Changes wasn't very good, and Ghost Story was okayish.

Butcher did a thing for Geek & Sundry with Pat Rothfuss and some other authors here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52khu_YJAmo

Going to stick this here:

Ben Aaronovitch's Midnight Riot and the followups are very, very good....  Best UF I've read since Harry Connolly's "Twenty Palaces".  It's very much like Dresden but set in London with geekery dialed back.  Much more grounded as the characters are all police, dealing with and covering up the hinky stuff.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #4718 on: August 25, 2012, 10:00:01 AM

Yes +1 for Lowry and Under the Volcano.  Badly ignored work.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4719 on: August 26, 2012, 05:51:15 AM

Yeah, it's a great book. Reading it makes you feel like you're on a long, weird drunk yourself.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #4720 on: August 31, 2012, 05:58:55 AM

I just finished reading the last three books in Alex Bledsoe's Eddie LaCrosse series. I really really like them! I recommend them to everyone. Wish I had another one to read now :(
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #4721 on: August 31, 2012, 06:18:13 AM

I just finished Use of Weapons.  I am rarely fooled by a book, but I was completely flummoxed by this one.  It's a good read, if you haven't read it.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4722 on: August 31, 2012, 06:46:05 AM

Deary me.

Did my dissertation on that one.  If anyone else hasn't read it, READ IT.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4723 on: August 31, 2012, 07:46:27 AM

New Culture novel coming this fall. Supposedly goes back to the early days of the Culture.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #4724 on: August 31, 2012, 08:03:49 AM

Culture novels are very strange.  I have reread them all maybe 3 times and I am always disappointed by the endings.  And I still recommend them.   Weird?
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread  
Jump to: