Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 06:10:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Return of the Book Thread  (Read 1309703 times)
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #4620 on: July 02, 2012, 08:42:46 PM

As I prepared for my trip to Vegas last week, I suddenly realized I didn't have a book to read while traveling. So, I took a gamble and picked up some random SciFi book listed on the Kindle store:

Wool Omnibus

All I can say is: these books are awesome!

The first book is a short story, and then he expands on that story with the followup books. Basically, these guys live in this underground silo because the air is toxic above ground. Who knows how many generations. They have a camera that lets them see outside, but when some of them start to think the image is fabricated, they get to see the outside first hand...

- Viin
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #4621 on: July 03, 2012, 05:47:39 AM

And it's got a Nook version as well.  Reading the reviews, it sounds like an excellent choice.  I think I'll pick it up when I get home tonight (damn no public wifi at work. :( )

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4622 on: July 03, 2012, 07:38:19 AM

Submitted it for collection development, sounds good.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #4623 on: July 03, 2012, 09:10:03 AM

Submitted it for collection development, sounds good.
Sky, do public libraries usually carry something that is self-published or would that even matter?  Just curious since I would have assumed that only "real" books from regular publishing houses would be in the library.  Not that a self-published book isn't real, just that it still probably has a stigma of not being as professional as publishing house books.

Which reminds me - where is our next Bridge Chronicle book, Mr. Self-Published?

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4624 on: July 03, 2012, 11:20:53 AM

DRILLING AND MANLINESS
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4625 on: July 03, 2012, 11:57:30 AM

Ok, that is Le Awesome, Sky.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

And I'm working on the next book. I keep saying summer, but it's looking more like early fall.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #4626 on: July 03, 2012, 12:43:47 PM

DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Love Letters

Fall, huh?   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?  /makes note in the calendar.

Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #4627 on: July 11, 2012, 09:40:59 PM

Wool Omnibus

The first book is a short story, and then he expands on that story with the followup books. Basically, these guys live in this underground silo because the air is toxic above ground. Who knows how many generations. They have a camera that lets them see outside, but when some of them start to think the image is fabricated, they get to see the outside first hand...

Wow.  These were great.  The post-apocalyptic vault-dwellers thing has been done before (think Fallout), but this was really well executed, a gripping read, and have a number of twists that I didn't expect, defying some of the staples of this genre.

Editorial quality was fantastic for a self-published work.  The only editorial error I noticed was an instance of "silicone chips" where context clearly called for "silicon chips".
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #4628 on: July 12, 2012, 01:57:49 AM

Picked up reamde from the library last week. Am finally able to get into it post surgery and am really enjoying it.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #4629 on: July 12, 2012, 08:59:03 AM

I enjoyed the first three quarters of 'Reamde' and then just wanted it to be over with.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #4630 on: July 12, 2012, 09:02:38 AM

Wool Omnibus

Wow.  These were great.  The post-apocalyptic vault-dwellers thing has been done before (think Fallout), but this was really well executed, a gripping read, and have a number of twists that I didn't expect, defying some of the staples of this genre.

Editorial quality was fantastic for a self-published work.  The only editorial error I noticed was an instance of "silicone chips" where context clearly called for "silicon chips".

Maybe it was a post breast implant apocalypse.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #4631 on: July 16, 2012, 07:18:23 AM

I enjoyed the first three quarters of 'Reamde'any Neal Stephenson book and then just wanted it to be over with.
FTFY, apparently Neal Stephenson feels the same way and this is why after pounding his head against the wall for 100 pages he just writes "the end" and moves on to the next book.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4632 on: July 18, 2012, 07:45:32 AM

Which Stephenson book is only 100 pages?  why so serious?

Kinda vacillating about what to read next, I cracked open Toll the Hounds to finish out the Erickson stuff. Really love his writing style, though it's stretching my memory to remember all the characters and situations going on, and he's jumping from scene to scene every page or two.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #4633 on: July 18, 2012, 07:56:19 AM

Anathem is....on microfiche.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #4634 on: July 18, 2012, 08:18:38 AM

Anathem is....on microfiche.

Goddamn that book is dense. I'm about 80% done with it and loving it, but holy fuck I want to scream "GET ON WITH IT!" sometimes. He's done more world building in one book than I've done in 4 (with about the same number of pages that is).

naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #4635 on: July 18, 2012, 10:42:42 AM

In the Beginning… Was the Command Line

The only Stephenson title I could ever finish.

I tried, gave a few of them (Snow Crash, Cryptonomicon) at least ~100 pages, and they just did not grab me at all…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #4636 on: July 18, 2012, 11:03:21 AM

You ever try Quicksilver?  It's pretty damned good. 
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #4637 on: July 18, 2012, 05:59:47 PM

Took me two tries to get through Quicksilver. Was worth it, though. :)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4638 on: July 19, 2012, 05:02:05 AM

Fallen Angels by the Motie chaps is utterly shite.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #4639 on: July 19, 2012, 05:28:35 AM

Took me two tries to get through Quicksilver. Was worth it, though. :)

It's not a light read, but there is some really funny shit in the trilogy.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #4640 on: July 19, 2012, 09:41:43 AM

That's the one where they let their retarded Libertarian stuff hang out isn't it?
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4641 on: July 20, 2012, 09:04:05 PM

Trying to decide if John Fultz, Seven Princes, was a sort of standard-fantasy fun or utter tripe. It read pretty smoothly, at any rate.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4642 on: July 21, 2012, 02:51:36 AM

That's the one where they let their retarded Libertarian stuff hang out isn't it?

Yes.  And they crowdsource the characterisation to actual assholes they met in real life.

It's a stinker and you will feel bad after reading it that you ever read it.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #4643 on: July 21, 2012, 03:24:32 AM

After reading that I'm sure you'll be shocked to hear that Niven and Pournelle have severe doubts about Global Warming.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4644 on: July 21, 2012, 05:37:32 AM

The science in the book may as well have been written in crayon.  The funniest bit was the essay at the end where they explained that all the stuff in the book was real science because a bloke down the pub said so.

Fuck me.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4645 on: July 30, 2012, 07:54:20 PM

I'm about halfway through REAMDE and losing interest since
Does it get better?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #4646 on: July 30, 2012, 08:13:46 PM

It gets better until it goes into Stephensonendingmode.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #4647 on: July 30, 2012, 09:49:08 PM

Enjoyed the first book in Parker's Engineer trilogy pretty well, although there's still an awful lot of going into too much detail on blacksmithing and stuff, much like book 2 of the Scavenger trilogy.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #4648 on: July 30, 2012, 09:55:58 PM

It is a pretty good trilogy, but I think I need to read it again to catch some of the stuff I didn't understand the first time I read it. Book 3 explains why some of the actions were taken in Books 1 and 2, which I didn't read close enough together to really grasp it all. But I still enjoyed them.

- Viin
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #4649 on: July 31, 2012, 10:41:48 AM

I am reading Halting State by Charles Stross.  It is about a bank robbery in an MMO affecting the real world.  It has heavy Scottish slang which I find great even if I don't grasp it all the time.

I have never played WoW.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #4650 on: July 31, 2012, 11:13:15 AM

no, no, no the first 600 pages where he is setting the hook aren't part of the head banging experience, pages 600-900 is when the self realization hits that he has fucked himself into a corner, then he spends pages 900+ banging his head into a wall, finally when his head hurts so bad he can no longer see he has his editor write 'the end' and publish it.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #4651 on: July 31, 2012, 11:27:29 AM

Speaking of Stephenson, I finally finished Anathem. That was a fantastic book, marred by the fact that Stephenson COULDN'T STOP WRITING ABOUT MATHS. It's an amazingly intelligent book, but he way overwrote most of it. I don't know if he just has a fascination with the higher math or what, but what could have been a 300-page thriller about an alien invasion turns into a 900-page treatise on the nature of consciousness and interdimensional cross-breeding of ideas. I'm sure the editor took one pass through for grammar and then had a mental breakdown on trying to decipher how to trim it down to a readable length.

On the plus side, it actually had a fairly satisfying ending, IMO, unlike The Diamond Age.

Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #4652 on: July 31, 2012, 03:25:34 PM

Yeah, Anathem ended reasonably well.  I thought REAMDE did too.  He still goes a bit overboard on the info-dumps but he does seem to be (slowly) figuring out how to end a story.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #4653 on: July 31, 2012, 04:25:20 PM

Hey you might like KJ Parker, Quinton, the books totally overstate how awesome engineers are.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4654 on: August 01, 2012, 02:45:36 AM

Speaking of Stephenson, I finally finished Anathem. That was a fantastic book, marred by the fact that Stephenson COULDN'T STOP WRITING ABOUT MATHS. It's an amazingly intelligent book, but he way overwrote most of it. I don't know if he just has a fascination with the higher math or what, but what could have been a 300-page thriller about an alien invasion turns into a 900-page treatise on the nature of consciousness and interdimensional cross-breeding of ideas. I'm sure the editor took one pass through for grammar and then had a mental breakdown on trying to decipher how to trim it down to a readable length.

On the plus side, it actually had a fairly satisfying ending, IMO, unlike The Diamond Age.

I couldn't finish it.  It was like being sodomised by Bubba Smith every single page.

Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread  
Jump to: