Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 12:35:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Everquest PS2 Europe shutting down. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Everquest PS2 Europe shutting down.  (Read 4181 times)
Terracotta Army

on: April 19, 2006, 06:24:11 AM

To our valued customers of EverQuest Online Adventures in Europe:

After considerable discussion, Sony Online Entertainment Inc. following consultation with Sony Computer Entertainment Europe has decided to shut down the EverQuest Online Adventures European (PAL) service for the PlayStation®2 effective as of July 31, 2006.

In recognition of your support for EverQuest Online Adventures, as of May 15, 2006, SOE will no longer bill existing EQOA subscribers and will continue to operate the service through July 31, 2006 at no charge to existing players.

Should you wish to cancel your account immediately or if, as of May 15, 2006, you have a balance of any prepaid subscription time associated with your EQOA PAL account, you may be entitled to receive a pro rata refund for such prepaid amounts.

For more information on the upcoming termination of the service and for information on refunds, please visit www.everquest.com/eqoa.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 06:32:23 AM

My roommate at the time this came out went and picked it up.

It really was nothing special and I am kind of surprised it's lasted this long.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 07:06:03 AM

I played the US version for about 2 months. EQ did not translate well to the console. It also didn't help that a good 60%+ of people playing either didn't have a keyboard or were just too slow to bother typing. Imagine MMOG group dynamics with a complete lack of communication and you have EQOA.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 07:18:50 AM

In recognition of your support for EverQuest Online Adventures, as of May 15, 2006, SOE will no longer bill existing EQOA subscribers and will continue to operate the service through July 31, 2006 at no charge to existing players.
While nice on the surface, I wonder if this is because this is when the last day of folks who maybe bought 3- or 6-month subscriptions.

Would be interesting to find out how many active subscribers they had over there, how many they have over here, and whether the writing is on the wall for the state-side one as well.

But we won't.
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 08:05:09 AM

I only played it once, picked it up very very cheap at a local shop since the subscription was included in my Station Access (back when I had it) and I had a PS2 kicking around that I'd just connected to the Internet (I'd just connected up my XBox and since the PS2 was sat next to it i thought 'why not')

I'll be honest that I didn't give it much of a chance but the graphics were poor compared to what I'd been playing (to be fair this was exactly the same reason I couldn't get into EQ1) and the controls (on the stock controller) hateful.

While its not particularly indicative of the games health (although in light of the above it probably is!) I didn't see a single other person while I was online not did I see any chat from anyone else (at the time I put this down to being in the newbie area)
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 08:52:43 AM

It was horrible. The fact that it still exists at all is amazing.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 04:36:04 PM

I beta tested EQOA off and on at the beginning... mostly off.  Once I stopped, I forgot all about it.  Well, until now, that is.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Toast
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 08:01:07 AM

I bought it in the midst of my Everquest sickness. I actually bought a broadband adapter to play it. UGH. I think I logged in twice before having an explosive decompression of my will to play.

A good idea is a good idea forever.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Everquest PS2 Europe shutting down.  
Jump to: