Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 11:42:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Vanguard 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vanguard  (Read 44563 times)
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

on: December 21, 2005, 07:16:36 AM

I keep seeing Vanguard in SPT's posts, and a friend of mine kept mentioning it.  I went poking around for info, and found there really isn't a whole lot out there.  The one thing I did find, was a collection of posts by an accountant working for Sigil, who has permission to talk about his beta experiences.  You can find his collected posts here: The Book of Oloh.

After reading that, I'm much more interested in the game.  Looks to be the most interesting combat system in an MMO yet... Some similarities to DDO's, but less twitchy, more strategery.  Most of the stuff is about a warrior, as that's the author's primary character, tho there is some info on magic-users in there too.  It all looks very good.

I still have some concerns about the game;  namely, is the combat engine enough to avoid The Grind.  Does Character development occur at a frequent enough rate to prevent boredom.  Is soloing seriously an option for all characters, both numbers-wise and content-wise.  What about the other parts of the game, crafting, the 'diplomacy' thing, quests and whatnot.  Oloh's stuff doesn't really answer these questions.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 07:52:23 AM

Someone with more time than I have to spare right now please Educate Alkeria for his own good. Thanks.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 08:01:30 AM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 08:09:16 AM

Some short answers:

I still have some concerns about the game;  namely, is the combat engine enough to avoid The Grind. 

It's McQuaid's baby. The Grind IS the game. Remember EQ1? That wasn't hardcore enough.

Does Character development occur at a frequent enough rate to prevent boredom. 

See above.

Is soloing seriously an option for all characters, both numbers-wise and content-wise. 

Remember EQ1? Yeah, that's it.

What about the other parts of the game, crafting, the 'diplomacy' thing, quests and whatnot. 

Crafting will be useless and shiney upon release, or broken yet working as intended. Diplomacy? Either it won't work, or think of something like EQ2's crafting mini-game. Quests? I'm sure they'll have a lot of them, many of which will involve killing a bazillion of one thing, or waiting for the uber rare spawn to pop up once every 3rd new moon, only to be killed by the meth-addicted monkey whose been sitting waiting for that spawn since its last appearance before you ever get a swing off.

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 08:11:17 AM

Actually HRose has written some things about Vanguard. I didn't really read them because that would mean reading HRose's site, but you're more than welcome to poke around.

The cesspit
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 08:12:30 AM

Now why you want to go and do a thing like link to that site?

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 08:52:48 AM

Some of hrose's ideas are good, but you don't get the essence of them unless you read them in the original Klingon.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 09:11:04 AM

Well, I haven't written much about Vanguard if not to repeat that all we know about it is just fluff and hype.

In particular the combat system described by that Oloh.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #8 on: December 21, 2005, 09:11:11 AM

It's Christmas.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #9 on: December 21, 2005, 09:11:55 AM

You're starting the Festivus Airing of Grievances early then.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #10 on: December 21, 2005, 09:24:19 AM

HRose says lovely things about f13 on his site.  Don't be mean... he just want's to play! 

I'll give Vanguard a go in much the same way I give everything a go.  From McQuaid's own words in several interviews, however, it might be just a bit too group-centric for me.  I like playing in a group but I don't always have the time or inclination to spend an hour or so finding one, figuring what we're going to do and making plans.  Most times I just want to get in, play for an hour or so and log off.  If I'm in a nice, big active guild it doesn't matter so much as there's usually a group to be had. 

The rocks in that game still frighten me, too.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #11 on: December 21, 2005, 10:23:28 AM

Vanguard, Festivus, Feats of Strength

discuss
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #12 on: December 21, 2005, 10:28:42 AM

Vanguard, Festivus, Feats of Strength

discuss

You'll get your Festivus celebration stuff soon enough. Now if you don't mind, I need to go debuff a tree.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13 on: December 21, 2005, 10:55:33 AM

I'll give Vanguard a go in much the same way I give everything a go.

I dig chicks with low standards.  That's my bag, baby.

I actually have a prediction about Vanguard, assuming it isn't vapor.  I predict that the raiding will start very early: after hitting level three, you will be required to form a pickup raid with thirty other newbs to take down a boss rat.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Xilren's Twin

Reply #14 on: December 21, 2005, 11:10:26 AM

Don't Forget This, where Brad holds forth on some of his personal design philosphies...

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 21, 2005, 12:28:46 PM

Alright, so... nothing new, and no one knows any more than I do.  That's pretty much what I wanted to know.

Yeah, Haemish, I played EQ for 5 years, and I know who Brad is.  Given the state of EQ2, it's obvious those left at SOE were not the reason EQ did so well.  In fact, most of my problems with EQ started right around the time he left.  Admittedly, I liked a few changes that occured after he left, but for the most part, expansions after that point were terrible from my standpoint.  So much designed around pleasing the FoH crowd, widening the gap between the uberguild and the casual.  I'm curious what he'll design, given the chance to do it all again.  The FAQ for the game seems to have some pretty nice ideas for dealing with some of the issues we all hate in MMOs, the grind, etc.  I left EQ because I'd finished it, gotten as far as I could without huge time consuming raids.  heck, I even did some raiding...  I just got bored of it.  Unlike you, I didn't leave angry, just bored.  I'm willing to give him another chance.

Also, having visited cesspit.net,  I feel that HRose is not terribly familiar with PnP D&D.  The whole point of DDO is to transition the PnP experience to online.  IMO, it's a faithful transition... and also, a blast.

Quote from: cesspit.net
Simply put, its a really really boring single player game.
If you're trying to play it single player... that's probably part of the problem.  The game is designed as a party experience.  From it's origins as a ruleset for miniatures combat, it's the collection of different classes that provide interesting situations.  Like running thru a warehouse with 3 subtle thieves sneaking around... followed by a loud, metal-armor clad, entirely non-subtle cleric.  Things would hear me coming, miss the rogues entirely... until they felt the dagger in the back.  Good times.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 21, 2005, 01:11:47 PM

Therein lies the rub. If a game is not at all fun alone, then it will have a narrower appeal than one that is. That's fine, of course, as long as your budget can support 100k-200k consistent subscriptions. It's not fine if you want to expand the market though. It's also of questionable validity with Microsoft publishing it. Does anyone think they really want another AC1 in a genre of EQs and WoWs?

I like Brad's thinking, having read his stuff for years. But it's mostly because he knows the exact demographic he wants to attract. Success comes from giving your players what they want, particularly when they didn't know they wanted it. It doesn't matter to me that I'm not in that demographic in the least. I only question whether it's big enough.

And I'd love to know how he knows WoW cost $75mil to make. I've heard that, and $84mil. I can also imagine why the game cost that much. But I haven't yet seen any valid source for the numbers, so its hard to know if WoW really cost three times as much as EQ2 to make (which SOE themselves reported as costing around $25mil).
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #17 on: December 21, 2005, 01:13:52 PM

I'll give Vanguard a go in much the same way I give everything a go.

I dig chicks with low standards.  That's my bag, baby.

I wouldn't give you a go, you know.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

I am damn cute for a stubby shortling.

Reply #18 on: December 21, 2005, 01:23:47 PM

I'll try Vanguard.

I probably will not play it long after I try it.

I am getting more and more tired of gaming as the days go on. I lose hope and the recommendations of fanboi01's do nothing for me.

P.S.:

For the most part, Alkiera, I have given up on Vanguard being anything then what it is appearing to be. EQ the Sequel. Although once a fan of what it could be, I have put down the torch. I currently have reinstalled DAoC and am playing that again on a 14 day trial.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 01:29:20 PM by SuperPopTart »

I am Super, I am a Pop Tart.
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: December 21, 2005, 01:46:25 PM

I am fairly sympathetic to McQuaid.  I think SWG and EQ2 demonstrate that he was the person in SoE with real talent and vision.  I think he does a great job at creating atmosphere -- WoW is the only game close to EQ in this department, and that's a big part of why they are the two dominant games in the genre.  I look forward to seeing what kind of atmosphere he can create with the tools and money now at his disposal.

I also am more sympathetic to PvE and PvE-raid oriented content than most people here.  I like raiding if the raids are fun, don't require obscene amounts of time, and I am not guilded with assholes. What I won't ever put up with again, however, is standing in line with my dick in my hand because there isn't anything worthwhile to fight, everything having been killed by people who play earlier in the day or more advanced guilds or whatever.  Never.  Again.  Will.  I.  Pay.  Money.  For.  That.

McQuaid's irrational fear of instancing will probably lead to exactly that.  He says that they'll have so much content that it won't matter.  But that would take more than 10x the content WoW has, and VG is projected (by McQuaid) to have less than 1/10th the subscription income WoW has.  Even taking Blizzard's slowness into account, the math just doesn't add up.  So I imagine we'll see lines, or lots of SWG/LDoN-style modular crap content.  Neither of which I'll pay for. 

The third option is that they'll just use their "Advanced Encounter System" (read: instancing but inferior in every respect) to institute de facto instancing for most/all raid targets.  That might be enough to make the endgame work for me.

The other thing that scares me is that the combat mechanics positively reek of Everquest II.

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: December 21, 2005, 02:09:24 PM

The other thing that scares me is that the combat mechanics positively reek of Everquest II.

EQ2?  Hrm.  If anything, I'd most compare them to maybe WoW.  WoW is the only live game I know of that treats certain specials as 'part of your next swing' instead of making it a completely seperate thing from autoattack(like a WoW rogue's instants), or having it's own damage/delay and having it interrupt autoattack (like other WoW melee specials, and all EQ2 specials).

The only thing they have that is anything like EQ2 is the chain/group chain system...  and DAoC has had chains forever, FFXI has renraku or whatever... Apparently the EQ2 Heroic opportunity system came from some notes Brad left behind, or the memory of another dev after he left;  they took what they had and the result was Heroic Opportunities, which started out only semi useful, and haven't really gotten any better since, only easier to perform.  They didn't really make any sense, half of them, anyway.

Really, in my own thoughts, I've always thought combat needed to be slowed down to be made more interesting.  We complain about lack of active defenses in MMO combat, but with all the issues regarding 'twitch'(both technical and personal), to do that you have to slow down combat some.  Give the player time to see what their opponent is going to do, and some way to counter that.  Then, combat between two skilled players looks like combat between two skilled fighters... swing, parry, swing, parry, swing, parry, etc, with increasingly impressive attacks and parries.  Not the current system of have all defenses be automagical, and anything that doesn't work for, I just suck up and drink a potion to cure.  It's one way out of the competeing bags of hitpoints model.  It allows things to be more like Bushido Blade, and less like a dikumud.

Alkiera

WayAbvPar

Reply #21 on: December 21, 2005, 02:12:21 PM

Then, combat between two skilled players looks like combat between two skilled fighters... swing, parry, swing, parry, swing, parry, etc, with increasingly impressive attacks and parries.

Agreed. Something like and enhanced version of Mount & Blade's combat system would get my money in a big fat fucking hurry.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #22 on: December 21, 2005, 02:17:22 PM

Some of hrose's ideas are good, but you don't get the essence of them unless you read them in the original Klingon.

I was eating yoghurt. I now have a yoghurt flavoured monitor. Thank you.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
schild
Administrator

Reply #23 on: December 21, 2005, 03:00:09 PM

What the fuck is yoghurt?
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #24 on: December 21, 2005, 03:18:25 PM

What the fuck is yoghurt?
Wimin-only aliment.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
schild
Administrator

Reply #25 on: December 21, 2005, 03:21:08 PM

Ok, someone's playing a joke on me.
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: December 21, 2005, 04:40:13 PM

Bah, no fair to pick on only the last, throwaway line!  Anyway, there are two main things that reminded me of EQ2.  First are the HOs, which are close to the stupidest, least immersive thing I've ever seen.  But even aside from the HOs themselves, VG combat from that writeup sounds a lot like EQ2's HO system and exactly like EQ2's tradeskill system.  Icons flash up and you click the button of the corresponding counter-icon.  I'm not paying $15/mo to play Simon.  More precisely, I am aware of the fact that all games ultimately reduce to this, but you need to do a much, much better job of hiding it than VG's system sounds like it will do.  EQ and WoW are all about hiding the "gamey" mechanics in a way that makes you feel like you are in a world.  This is too nakedly "gamey".

There is also the "we'll have a ton of classes that fulfill the same role with identical efficiency but they'll be different I promise" which either leads to sameness (no actual difference) or stupidity (they struggle to add 4 ways of healing that feel different that standard healing, 3 of which feel really really stupid) and (because of the Simon combat system) everyone will have a quadrillion abilities with stupid names that do the same damn thing for icon-matching purposes rather than a much smaller number more interesting abilities.

Anyway, I obviously haven't played the game and I am very eager to try it out.  I hope I'm wrong about the things I fear, or at least that the goodies will make up for them.

Really, in my own thoughts, I've always thought combat needed to be slowed down to be made more interesting.

Totally agree, but I fear VG will be a step towards the consolization of MMO combat rather than a step in that direction.

schild
Administrator

Reply #27 on: December 21, 2005, 04:43:11 PM

I would have no problem with the consolization of MMOG combat if it were more like Zelda, Soul Caliber, or even ICO. Hell, I'm trying to invision a way in which the consolization would be bad. And I can't. MMOG combat is just that weak.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: December 21, 2005, 06:25:56 PM

I would have no problem with the consolization of MMOG combat if it were more like Zelda, Soul Caliber, or even ICO. Hell, I'm trying to invision a way in which the consolization would be bad. And I can't. MMOG combat is just that weak.

You should love DDO then.

Alkiera

El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: December 22, 2005, 06:16:53 AM

I should not have used the c-word, it will derail this thread into threads we've had before.  Replace it with "mindless button mashing."
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 06:21:14 AM by El Gallo »

schild
Administrator

Reply #30 on: December 22, 2005, 06:19:37 AM

NDA

Quote from: El Gallo
I shoudl not have used the c-word, it will derail this thread into threads we've had before.  Replace it with "mindless button mashing."

Wait, there's something new to say about MMOGs? Damn, I've lost the pulse of online gaming.
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: December 22, 2005, 06:22:02 AM

They always quote your typos.  Remember kids, use spell check!

Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: December 22, 2005, 06:40:34 AM

Alkiera

/agree

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Sunbury
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: December 22, 2005, 06:58:29 AM

Is everyone forgetting about:
  Server Lag
  Client Lag
  Internet Lag
  Packet Loss
  Client/Server getting out of sync due to above?

Magically developers can 'code around' these problems?

The more twich added to MMOGs the more the above makes the game 'unplayable'  on 'bad' days.

That's one reason I'm a wand addict in WoW with my priest, warlock, (and somewhat less) mage.   The auto-attack wand works fine even when all the above problems are happening on a bad day.   If my character 'lags' (all above) for 15 secs, the system remembers I was wanding, and bam, when lag clears the mob is dead.   If I was casting one at a time, when lag clears, it discarded all my casts (I couldn't even initiate them) and bam, my char is dead.

Same reason I didn't like playing a caster in AC1, it was way too lag sensitive.   Melee wasn't.

DDO plays great when everything is smooth, as soon as 'lag' hits, someone normaly ends up dead.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: December 22, 2005, 09:51:55 AM

That's all the reasons why people are focusing on 5-6 person experiences. Contrived linear consumable adventures can feature realtime combat though. Maybe Raiding too. On a good day. But this is just about PvE. It works because all of the targets are programmed against a lower common denominator.

PvP is different because both targets are reliant on duplicate technical issues. With PvE, it's all one sided.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Vanguard  
Jump to: