Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:09:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 78 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Boardgame Thread  (Read 595473 times)
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1680 on: May 11, 2015, 10:50:46 AM

Is the game actually any good though or is it just another minis game that is all about random dice rolls and didn't really need minis?  I've played XWing a little and enjoyed it if that is a good comparison at all.

Near as I can tell, it's Descent 2.0 (which I did not enjoy) re-skinned.

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1681 on: May 18, 2015, 03:53:40 PM

Speil des Jahres nominees are Colt Express, Machi Koro, and "The Game".

Kind of think they've given up now.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1682 on: May 18, 2015, 06:55:06 PM

I didn't play the others, but I found Machi Koro a bit... unfun.

I thought the harbor expansion would help, but it makes the games last more than an hour, which kills it for family night. Great idea, but needs some cards removed I think.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1683 on: May 19, 2015, 12:25:52 AM

Colt Express is fun though probably not all that replayable.

Given the last two winners were Hanabi (awful) and Camel Cup (unremarkable retread), I guess those nominations aren't any worse.

In related news, been playing a lot of Kingdom Builder last couple of weeks (the 2012 SdJ). You place settlements on a modular map according to rules and at the end score points according to randomly drawn victory conditions. Often variable set up games get complaints about being too complex for non-gamers, but here the victory conditions are really well calibrated so they work across the ability range.

I gather the game also gets complaints about being too random (you draw a card each turn to decide which terrain type you can build on) - we found this to be bullshit, game is mostly about ensuring you are set up to make progress whichever of the 5 terrain cards you draw next turn.

Most of all we enjoy how different each game feels, despite a short running time around 10-15 minutes per player.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 05:09:22 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #1684 on: July 05, 2015, 09:50:49 AM

So, there's a KS on now for Phil Eklund's High Frontier: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/highfrontier/high-frontier-0
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1685 on: July 05, 2015, 10:12:10 AM

If you've never played a Phil Ecklund game, this is your shot.  But, look at the game-board b4 you decide.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS   And realize his games are near-simulations.  He's basically the STEM version of Ruhnke and you need a special group of fairly hardcore gamers to play his stuff, but if you can find 'em the results can be glorious.

Hopefully this version eases the player into the game a bit better.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1686 on: July 07, 2015, 10:45:16 AM

But, look at the game-board b4 you decide.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Just did.   ACK!

I'll probably kickstart it at a higher tier than is sensible.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1687 on: July 07, 2015, 10:57:30 PM

I espeicially like how everytime science finds out new stuff about space, they do an errata for that board to reflect the new information.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1688 on: July 23, 2015, 07:03:55 PM

Semi-interested in Ashes by Plaid Hat; watching Watch It Played on it now. Not sure I like the randomness of how dice are used, but the game looks interesting.

I might have to buy in, only $35 on their site.
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #1689 on: July 26, 2015, 01:38:47 PM

Anyone going to WBC?

Why don't you try our other games?
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1690 on: July 26, 2015, 02:03:54 PM

I espeicially like how everytime science finds out new stuff about space, they do an errata for that board to reflect the new information.

All stretch goals were realized, and then some.  Makes the game an order of magnitude more deep and complex.  I love the politics module; so now the politics will change outside the players' control.  Of course, the deep space addon just   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

I'm layin down coin.  Comes out in a few months.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1691 on: July 27, 2015, 11:40:54 PM

I've been getting rid of some games and getting new ones, out goes LotR:tCG (played it once years ago), Descent, Mice and Mystics, and Mascarade.

In comes Merchants and Marauders, Tigris & Euphrstes, and Risk Legacy.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #1692 on: July 28, 2015, 09:37:15 PM

Anyone going to WBC?

Sadly, no.  Something I might like one day.

Lamaros, what did you think of Mice&Mystics?  I heard it can be grinding, on rails.  I like the look and story approach and want to try.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1693 on: July 29, 2015, 12:19:25 AM

I didn't play it much but in terms of a game it was OK, if simple, in terms of a story telling experience it was much lighter than I expected.

I'd rather read a book with a young kid, or play with toys and make our own narrative. With older ones I think you can play a better game that creates a story from the play in a more mechanically engaging way.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1694 on: July 29, 2015, 07:51:42 AM

Been playing Concordia lately and really enjoying it: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/124361/concordia

Nice change of pace from all the worker placement games I've been stuck on lately. Very little random luck involved, with enough variation in strategy to keep it going.

Uses a deck of action cards to determine what you do on your turn. Colonize cities to get resources to spend to get more resources, or more action cards. The only scoring is based on the cards you end up with at the end game. Each functional card also scores points based on a different aspect of the game (resources, cities, colonists, money, etc.)

Its nicely interactive because you can colonize the same areas as your opponents, so when you gather resources, they get them as well. So your actions each turn have a significant impact on your opponents. Solid game.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1695 on: July 29, 2015, 09:32:56 AM

Concordia is really good.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1696 on: July 30, 2015, 08:18:56 AM

If Mice and Mystics appeals to you conceptually, I'd suggest a generic role playing game that is light on rules might give you a better experience.  Heck, the (free) new basic D&D would work really well with a few tweaks.  Reaper has a few sets of mouse figures that would work if you want them.

Different topic: I am looking for palate cleansing games.  These are quick games involving little serious thought that people can set up and play quickly (in a half hour or less) while waiting for another group to wrap up their game.  Examples would be Toc Toc Woodman, Zombie Dice, Tsuro, Booggle, Bananagrams, Coup, etc...  Games that tend more towards physical skill / dexterity over knowledge / strategy would be particularly useful.  Suggestions?

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1697 on: July 30, 2015, 10:59:38 AM

Palate cleansing games: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/37371/piece-o-cake goes over well for my group. Takes 30 seconds to setup, maybe 20 minutes to play.

For a bit longer, but still casual game, I like https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/117959/las-vegas. Another really easy setup game, its basically just dice and money. The random shit luck of dice rolling leads to some pretty good moments of tension.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1698 on: July 30, 2015, 03:31:41 PM

Zombie dice was fun until we played King of Tokyo. Then we never played ZD again. I've heard King of New York does the same to KoT.

Not that those were skill or dex based games, but rather definitely filler and pallete cleanser games.

I just sleeved up my copy of Ashes, will play a few games tomorrow and report back. Production quality was good, art is great.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1699 on: July 30, 2015, 05:38:29 PM

I don't know why people play collectable card games without the collectable bit. That's half the (expensive) fun.

I didn't mind the one game I've played of Concordia, but I don't know if I'd be that interested in playing it again. I enjoy the puzzle elements of the more solo eurostyle games, but when I get together with a group I always prefer a more interactive social experience.

Played Chicago Express again on the weekend. It's such a terrific game. I can't think of many multiplayer games that combine such simplicity and depth with enough 'casual' fun elements. Everyone might not have picked up on all the  subtleties, but they enjoyed it anyway. And it's decently short.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 05:42:07 PM by lamaros »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1700 on: July 31, 2015, 05:45:52 PM

Different topic: I am looking for palate cleansing games.  These are quick games involving little serious thought that people can set up and play quickly (in a half hour or less) while waiting for another group to wrap up their game.  Examples would be Toc Toc Woodman, Zombie Dice, Tsuro, Booggle, Bananagrams, Coup, etc...  Games that tend more towards physical skill / dexterity over knowledge / strategy would be particularly useful.  Suggestions?

Don't know about dexterity games, but fillers that always go down well in these parts...

Port Royal
Qwirkle
Marrakech
Dobble
If you like Coup, Coup Guatemala is far better
Coloretto (never Zooloretto)
Saboteur
One night werewolf
Love letter
No thanks
Paperback
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 08:57:23 AM by eldaec »

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1701 on: July 31, 2015, 07:27:56 PM

Ascending Empires by z-man is a dexterity-based space-empire building game.  You 'flick' your ships over the board.  It's fun.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1702 on: July 31, 2015, 08:43:03 PM

Wish I could be at gencon for the Kingdom Death demo, but core game should be arriving around a month or two...soo close...

Exploding Kittens will be here Monday. Hoping that will lure the old lady into some casual gaming.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1703 on: August 02, 2015, 06:28:11 AM

Also, now I think of it, new edition of Catacombs. Not sure how short it is, but it is a flicking based dungeon crawl which I've heard more than one positive report about.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/57390/catacombs
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 10:40:08 AM by eldaec »

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1704 on: August 02, 2015, 07:41:49 PM

Wish I could be at gencon for the Kingdom Death demo
https://youtu.be/T_Im2AaXK18

Only a small slice of the showdown phase, but mmmhmmm...
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1705 on: August 21, 2015, 01:04:34 AM

MULE, the board game, to be launched at Essen.

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/45059/mule-board-game-debuting-lautapelitfi-spiel-2015

It's all about whether they get auctions right. If it were up to me, the computer game auction mechanism would be copied exactly onto a companion app.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1706 on: August 29, 2015, 05:38:27 PM

Played a few games of Witness the other night, good fun I say.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1707 on: September 05, 2015, 02:46:39 AM

Kickstarter that has caught my eye for a legacy dungeon crawler that doesn't use dice, steals some good ideas from Mage Knight, and seems like it would scale well down to 2 players...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1350948450/gloomhaven/comments

Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #1708 on: September 05, 2015, 03:10:18 AM

Kickstarter that has caught my eye for a legacy dungeon crawler that doesn't use dice, steals some good ideas from Mage Knight, and seems like it would scale well down to 2 players...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1350948450/gloomhaven/comments

Pretty stoked about this one. A legacy game I actually want to play (Hate Risk, and am only middlingly interested in Pandemic). I really like Forge War as well, which is this guy's previous design, plus I generally agree with the blog entries of his I've read at http://www.cephalofair.com/ (though it seems like it's getting hammered lately)
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1709 on: October 01, 2015, 10:28:06 AM

Concordia is really good.

Describe.  Was thinking about getting this one.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1710 on: October 02, 2015, 07:41:01 AM

See my post directly above his.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1711 on: October 02, 2015, 09:32:23 AM

See my post directly above his.

Cool.  What was fun about it?  Your description sounds like every other WP I have. 
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1712 on: October 08, 2015, 07:29:54 AM

The difference seems to be almost a hand building and management feel instead of an action space blocking feel for doing stuff. But still ultimately a game about efficiency.

(this is from watching not playing)

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1713 on: October 10, 2015, 06:39:24 PM

I found Concordia to be good, but didn't especially capture me. However I'm not usually the sort that overly loves those types of game.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #1714 on: October 11, 2015, 01:28:49 PM

Anyone played the pc beta of twilight struggle?

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 78 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Boardgame Thread  
Jump to: