Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:20:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: What do you do and where? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What do you do and where?  (Read 571348 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1190 on: February 05, 2009, 11:40:08 AM

Manila is a hellhole.  Stay away.

Seriously. 

I know, hence staying in a place where I don't have to worry about kidnappings so much.  Everyone always tacks on "if you stay in Makati" or wherever the white people spend their time.  I'd probably do it if I was single, though.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1191 on: February 05, 2009, 11:46:15 AM

Yeah, I mentioned moving abroad to the fiancee and she said "Have fun!".
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1192 on: February 05, 2009, 12:04:09 PM

Yeah, I mentioned moving abroad to the fiancee and she said "Have fun!".

Time to reassess the relationship.   ACK!

I know it sounds like I'm being a dick, but if I really wanted to live abroad and my woman didn't, that would end it for me.  I did the whole "making compromises for my significant other" bit in the past and all it did was make me resentful. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 12:10:12 PM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1193 on: February 05, 2009, 12:41:55 PM

She was being as flippant as I was.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #1194 on: February 05, 2009, 05:16:55 PM

No, Calverley actually, but Kirkstall Valley's nice too :)

Calverley's nice.  Used to live just round the corner from Kirkstall myself.  Live down south in the sticks now.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #1195 on: February 06, 2009, 05:01:55 AM

Everyone always tacks on "if you stay in Makati" or wherever the white people spend their time.  I'd probably do it if I was single, though.

Yes, Makati is awesome if you are single and have a driver.

As far as remuneration goes, there is no reason to accept less than what you are receiving in North America just because you are in the Philippines.  Usually companies offer a slightly lower salary but make up for it with housing, servants, and so on. 

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
chargerrich
Terracotta Army

Reply #1196 on: February 06, 2009, 07:24:03 AM

Lurker who would post more but just feel lucky that I can read the forums at work so I dont push my luck much  Thumbs up!

Anyway

39 - Married
Senior Project Analyst for a major bank working on... well banking software that bores the hell out of me :)
Kansas City Area

Avid MMO'er who hates Mark Jacobs for luring me with promises of the WOW killer WAR only to bore me numb with a Brad McQuaid inspired grind.
Yeah like most... back to WOW and wondering why I left (anyone want to buy 4 unopened WAR collectors editions)?  ACK!

Oh yeah and I rarely drink, but an ice cold Labatts Blue is great every now and again.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 01:21:57 PM by chargerrich »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1197 on: February 06, 2009, 07:47:38 AM

anyone want to buy 4 unopened WAR collectors editions)
ACK!

This site is filled with people with an unhealthy optimism and disposable income. You'll fit in great, especially if for whatever reason you hate MJ (I'm one of the few that likes him...and Raph, but I'm not one to post for days in an mmo thread, either).

My advice is just pick the mmo you enjoy most and don't bother with new ones. They all suck, anyway. Playing an mmo in the first six months after release is especially  swamp poop
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1198 on: February 06, 2009, 12:48:54 PM

Usually companies offer a slightly lower salary but make up for it with housing, servants, and so on. 

This would definitely be the case as it looks bad to have employees murdered.  I would definitely be fine with making only 90% of my current salary there since I could likely hire a different midget to wash each body part.  Then again, the dollar isn't what it used to be. awesome, for real

Avid MMO'er who hates Mark Jacobs

LotRO, Brandywine server.  Thank you, drive forward to the window.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Delmania
Terracotta Army

Reply #1199 on: February 06, 2009, 02:52:27 PM

28, Married, 2 girls.
Software developer
Rochester, NY

Disappointed with WAR, playing LotrO, thinking about reupping to WoW to finish my warlock and try out a DK.

Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #1200 on: February 06, 2009, 03:46:55 PM

I would definitely be fine with making only 90% of my current salary there since I could likely hire a different midget to wash each body part.  Then again, the dollar isn't what it used to be. awesome, for real

Non-midget showers are about fifty dollars in Makati.

I will have to do some field research on midget rates and get back to you.

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #1201 on: March 12, 2009, 02:13:50 PM

All right!  Officially I do nothing except collect unemployment today.  Half the engineering staff got let go, almost glad I'm not one of the ones left to pick up what few pieces are left.  Now I just need to find a company that needs a power systems designer for high voltages and high rep rates...  Somehow I think McD's isn't the answer...
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1202 on: March 12, 2009, 02:17:25 PM

gah. sorry to hear that. where did you work if its allowable to say?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #1203 on: March 12, 2009, 02:24:59 PM

I'm not sure if I am allowed to say, but I worked for a manufacturer of semiconductor photolithography lasers that no one has ever heard of.  There are only 2 in the world, so that should narrow it down if you want to Google it and find out ;-)
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1204 on: March 12, 2009, 05:50:01 PM

Ah, shit. Well, good luck in the search, use the opportunity to find something better in life, my man. Hope you're set up for the interim, we're socking away for the worst here...

If I were a praying type, I'd send some out for you, but goodwill will have to do. Unless you believe in Odin, then you'll be kicking ass!
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1205 on: March 12, 2009, 05:54:29 PM

Hope you find an awesome job, Selby.  Or better yet, you somehow become independently wealthy and lounge around some fancy beach drinking cocktails with tiny umbrellas in them.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1206 on: March 12, 2009, 07:14:53 PM

I hope this leads you to something you enjoy, Selby.  I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #1207 on: March 12, 2009, 07:30:58 PM

I'm not sure if I am allowed to say, but I worked for a manufacturer of semiconductor photolithography lasers that no one has ever heard of.  There are only 2 in the world, so that should narrow it down if you want to Google it and find out ;-)
I know a guy who sold the custom factory software to run the lasers for those semiconductor companies that no one has ever heard of. That is pretty obscure, I will admit!
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #1208 on: March 12, 2009, 08:38:50 PM

Hope you're set up for the interim...
Nope.  Having a kid (surprise!) destroyed any savings we had and the economy tanking over the last 6 months hasn't helped.  We aren't paying the mortgage anymore until I find a job, because we flat out can't afford to do it.  Like I used to joke, I've got all my cars paid off so I'm going to sleep in them if we get evicted.  The other half will move back to her mom's house with junior and I'm going to bum around looking for work.

Luckily several people have asked for my resume already down the road, so perhaps I'll get lucky.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1209 on: March 12, 2009, 09:40:14 PM

Good luck, man.  I'll think good thoughts for you.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #1210 on: March 13, 2009, 08:40:18 AM

Look at what our CEO just sent out, note that I haven't had a raise yet because I've been here less than a year:

We would like to share with you some of the actions we, together with our board, have determined are appropriate at this time:

•   No wage adjustments for 2009 for all employees
•   A voluntary pay reduction for company presidents
•   A reduction in our dividend paid to shareholders
•   Suspension of our holiday events
•   Reduction of our capital expense budget
•   Relentless focus on costs

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1211 on: March 13, 2009, 09:04:29 AM

We went through all this last year, wage freezes, austerity budget. Sucks because while librarians have little to no money for books, I've gotten a large (for us) tech grant last year and two for this year, about 1/3 of our computers are getting upgraded. I hate the way our budget works, wish I could give some money to save some of the part-timers who've had hours cut.

Things are grim, we're just planning for the worst and hoping for the best.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1212 on: March 13, 2009, 11:18:45 PM

Look at what our CEO just sent out, note that I haven't had a raise yet because I've been here less than a year:

We would like to share with you some of the actions we, together with our board, have determined are appropriate at this time:

•   No wage adjustments for 2009 for all employees
•   A voluntary pay reduction for company presidents
•   A reduction in our dividend paid to shareholders
•   Suspension of our holiday events
•   Reduction of our capital expense budget
•   Relentless focus on costs
Better than a pink slip.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1213 on: March 14, 2009, 01:14:57 PM

Last I read, 46% of universities are experiencing hiring freezes and some state schools will either be reorganizing or closed. 

I'm used to never getting raises, so I'm just happy to have a position. 

-  Mark Twain
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1214 on: March 15, 2009, 06:34:23 AM

I'm not really in a position to complain compared to many, and my current part-time job is ok, but I've spent much of this weekend working on my resume and trying to work out what jobs I'm going to apply for (grad positions mostly have apps closing in early april) and so far the only things I have on the list are gov jobs in the capital (which is a horrible place to live)... whole process is craptastic.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1215 on: March 16, 2009, 10:06:11 PM

This economy is balls, and I'm sorry to hear about the bad luck.

Still working a crap job, and I'm technically still on the books at Gamestop. While living at home because the pay is crap. Nice.

April should be interesting though. I have an Oral Assessment Prep Session at Princeton in the middle of the month, with the actual Assessment in DC for the Foreign Service the first week of May. And if I pass, I get put on the ranked register to play The Waiting Game and...wait, for a job offer.

I'd really rather not have to be dealing with this nonsense job I have into next year; an actual Career would be just fine, thanks.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #1216 on: March 17, 2009, 06:56:00 AM

This economy is balls, and I'm sorry to hear about the bad luck.

Still working a crap job, and I'm technically still on the books at Gamestop. While living at home because the pay is crap. Nice.

April should be interesting though. I have an Oral Assessment Prep Session at Princeton in the middle of the month, with the actual Assessment in DC for the Foreign Service the first week of May. And if I pass, I get put on the ranked register to play The Waiting Game and...wait, for a job offer.

I'd really rather not have to be dealing with this nonsense job I have into next year; an actual Career would be just fine, thanks.

What does that enable you to do, career wise?
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1217 on: March 18, 2009, 07:45:21 PM

The Foreign Service is the career.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1218 on: March 19, 2009, 05:52:45 AM

Do you think you'll get to assassinate many foreign leaders?  That might be fun.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1219 on: March 19, 2009, 06:13:11 AM

I don't think they get to assassinate people.  I think they're mostly in the lobby near the coffee machine.  The one's in Britain almost always go home for tea.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #1220 on: March 19, 2009, 09:37:29 AM

Do you think you'll get to assassinate many foreign leaders? 

Is boring someone to death during cocktails considered assassination?

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1221 on: March 19, 2009, 10:44:16 AM

Even better because it can't be traced back to the offending country.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #1222 on: March 19, 2009, 10:50:32 AM

Good luck with that, I hear it's pretty fucking hard interview/test.  I know someone who just passed and they're waiting to see where they get shipped off to.

Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #1223 on: March 19, 2009, 03:04:05 PM

If you do not get posted to Iraq I will be fucking amazed.

schild
Administrator

Reply #1224 on: March 19, 2009, 04:23:46 PM

I can't think of a time in my life where I'd be less interested in working for the government than roughly 2003-current.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 41 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: What do you do and where?  
Jump to: