Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 12:16:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: What do you do and where? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What do you do and where?  (Read 571350 times)
Sairon
Terracotta Army

Reply #700 on: November 01, 2007, 05:06:34 AM

As of a few weeks back I'm officialy in the industry \o/

Working as a programmer on Tarsier Studios, all the benefits of a small company working on really cool projects with a very cool team.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #701 on: November 01, 2007, 03:05:30 PM

My job is awful right now. I've been travelling back and forth between Boston and New York doing consulting work. (I'm not a consultant) Not even NYC but central NY.

A while ago our company decided that we were going to stop doing real engineering work even though our product is a software product. So we hired a bunch of sales, marketing and consultants instead, most of whom suck. Now myself and the people who work for me are doing consulting because the consultants took on contracts without the ability to fullfill them.

The team I work on has atrophied from about 9 people to 4, and out of those only *one* of them is working on the core product, the rest are doing consulting and other crap.

And now there is a big push to take on new initiatives, despite the fact that there is literally nobody to work on them.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
schild
Administrator

Reply #702 on: November 01, 2007, 03:12:07 PM

Working as a programmer on Tarsier Studios, all the benefits of a small company working on really cool projects with a very cool team.

TARSIER?

HOW ABOUT YOU TELL THEM TO FUCKING GET ON RELEASING METRONOME.

JESUS. ALL THE BENEFITS OF A SMALL COMPANY, WITHOUT EVER RELEASING ANYTHING.

Sorry. I'm still bitter about the fact we get no news about that goddamn game and it was shown _years_ ago.

You're almost invading my motherfucking.

(Yes, I have slight interest in the game.)
Sairon
Terracotta Army

Reply #703 on: November 02, 2007, 01:24:16 AM

TARSIER?

HOW ABOUT YOU TELL THEM TO FUCKING GET ON RELEASING METRONOME.

JESUS. ALL THE BENEFITS OF A SMALL COMPANY, WITHOUT EVER RELEASING ANYTHING.

Sorry. I'm still bitter about the fact we get no news about that goddamn game and it was shown _years_ ago.

You're almost invading my motherfucking.

(Yes, I have slight interest in the game.)

Hehe, the company doesn't have enough $$$ to self fund the development of metronome so there's other projects in the work atm. There's stuff happening but all that stuff is confidential  NDA
schild
Administrator

Reply #704 on: November 02, 2007, 02:36:29 AM

Then tell them to take it off the web page and remove the "new video coming soon" thing.

Because, really, that's bad PR. It's the sort of thing Duke Nukem 3D's and Tabula Rasa's are made of. Anyway. Red name. They seem like a good studio, they just need to release some of that good shit.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #705 on: November 02, 2007, 08:33:00 AM

AWww our very own red name.  In love
To abuse.
Sairon
Terracotta Army

Reply #706 on: November 02, 2007, 11:39:57 AM

AWww our very own red name.  In love
To abuse.

Please be gentle   embarassed
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #707 on: November 02, 2007, 02:21:28 PM

It tests the code in the game or else it gets the hose again  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #708 on: November 02, 2007, 04:02:22 PM

I love the Metronome art.  It reminds me of something but I can't put my finger on it, atm.  Good luck with the new job.  You are lovely for a Swede.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Sairon
Terracotta Army

Reply #709 on: November 04, 2007, 02:19:24 PM

I love the Metronome art.  It reminds me of something but I can't put my finger on it, atm.  Good luck with the new job.  You are lovely for a Swede.

Thanks a lot Signe  smiley
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #710 on: November 05, 2007, 07:27:17 AM

Is a metronome a closet gay gnome who dresses stylishly?
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #711 on: November 05, 2007, 02:03:22 PM

Metrognome?

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #712 on: November 06, 2007, 01:15:47 PM

Well I'm also back in school. Of course I'm getting paid to work here not paying to take classes so that works out much better for me...

I left the banking/sarbox shit behind and I'm now leading the data warehouse group for a university in Cleveland. Much happier here as I can actually feel good about helping in research and education vs. the incredibly boring crap I was doing in the financial industry.

I'll also be starting on my MBA this January. I figure the education is 100% paid for so I should probably get started toward some type of degree and the MBA makes the most sense for right now.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #713 on: November 06, 2007, 01:48:30 PM

I left the banking/sarbox shit behind and I'm now leading the data warehouse group for a university in Cleveland. Much happier here as I can actually feel good about helping in research and education vs. the incredibly boring crap I was doing in the financial industry.
Good deal. There are days I'd like to move into something like that, education is one of the few places I might get lucky with my mac experience. And my fiancee secretly really wants to be a research librarian, or at least a uni librarian, so much nicer than public libraries.
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #714 on: November 07, 2007, 05:48:53 AM

Good deal. There are days I'd like to move into something like that, education is one of the few places I might get lucky with my mac experience. And my fiancee secretly really wants to be a research librarian, or at least a uni librarian, so much nicer than public libraries.

Weird, one of my wife's dreams is/was to be a librarian but it's currently on hold because there are no MLS programs at any colleges anywhere near us right now.

Our campus is roughly 20% Mac right now and it is fully supported if you wanted to use one in IT provided you could still use all the necessary apps although no one in IT has been brave enough to attempt to use a mac on a daily basis yet.

Edit: Just found out they are releasing Leopard this Friday on our software center. I don't know fuckall about mac OSs though so I don't know if we're early or late getting that going.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 09:03:05 AM by UD_Delt »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #715 on: November 07, 2007, 01:09:57 PM

Metrognome?

I'm so putting that into my game.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #716 on: November 07, 2007, 01:24:40 PM

Sky, pick up a used copy of protools and learn to be a kickass audio engineer.  You'd probably do better than 90% of the people I'll be graduating with.

Also, Leopard is pretty recent.  We're just getting it too, and we're pretty high on Mac's list of places to brown nose.
schild
Administrator

Reply #717 on: November 07, 2007, 01:29:46 PM

I'm so putting that into my game.

lol
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #718 on: November 08, 2007, 07:05:47 AM

Sky, pick up a used copy of protools and learn to be a kickass audio engineer.  You'd probably do better than 90% of the people I'll be graduating with.
That's in the game plan. I have to get a guitar amp first, though. I'd really like to do a little sitting-in with some locals. After that a pro tools rig moves to the top of the list. Our local mac shop has a protools section with a studio, so I should be good to go for setup and support, though buying it used does sound interesting.

I was thinking about getting an mbox to get me through the learning curve and to do demos, but I hate the USB 1.1 interface (what the hell guys) and if I'm going to pay $800 for the 'pro' version with firewire...I'll just bite the bullet and get the Digi002 and have a control surface, too. I really like having a control surface, I tried using a used copy of Cakewalk + mouse and it sucked ass from a usability standpoint.

Looks like I'm revising my position on Leopard, one of our apps just broke under 10.3. We'll probably move to it soonish. Except the whole being abjectly broke thing...
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #719 on: November 13, 2007, 10:18:27 AM

Weird, one of my wife's dreams is/was to be a librarian but it's currently on hold because there are no MLS programs at any colleges anywhere near us right now.

Heh. At my university, a good friend of mine graduated with a degree in MLS and with that degree graduated to make $8.00/hr at the university library. I hope it isn't like that everywhere. :)

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #720 on: November 13, 2007, 11:50:34 AM

Heh. At my university, a good friend of mine graduated with a degree in MLS and with that degree graduated to make $8.00/hr at the university library. I hope it isn't like that everywhere. :)
Good MLS positions are hard to come by. Not a lot of turnover and great longevity, we have an 86 yr old that still comes in to work now and again. My fiancee's best friend is working two jobs to pay her mortgage (and she lives in the ghetto near me, probably a $60k mortgage).

I thought about going back for a degree, but the amount of time it'd take to pay it back just isn't worth it.
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #721 on: December 10, 2007, 07:34:00 AM

Currently living and working in Prague as an ESL teacher.  I love this city.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #722 on: December 10, 2007, 10:59:25 AM

Do you actually need to know the first language?
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #723 on: December 11, 2007, 08:47:05 AM

It helps, of course, and I'm taking Czech lessons, but you only really need to know it if you're teaching complete beginners.  And even then, a gifted teacher can use pictures and gestures well enough that you don't need to use the language of the student at all.  Quite often you're teaching a group of students that don't all have the same native tongue anyway, especially if you're teaching the local language to foreigners.   

I just jumped into a Czech class with mixed-language learners that's been going on for four months, and while most of it goes over my head, I'm definitely improving.  Had I joined at the beginning, I'd be understanding everything the teacher was saying like the other students.

All that said, teachers who believe that the student's first tongue should *never* be used in the classroom are idiots.  If I can explain a complicated concept in two seconds by just saying it in Czech or Spanish or whatever, I'm going to.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #724 on: December 11, 2007, 10:26:52 PM

I think it is time for me to seek a new employer; I have no idea where to begin.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
schild
Administrator

Reply #725 on: December 12, 2007, 03:12:28 AM

I think it is time for me to seek a new employer; I have no idea where to begin.

Right after marriage and having a baby? I'm not one to talk as I hop between most employers as I get bored. But, hrmmm.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #726 on: December 12, 2007, 08:12:07 AM

You are so cute.  You should become one of those erotic dancers with whips who wear all that cool shiny bondage stuff. 

You can call yourself "Ginger Snap." 

I'd pay to see you twirl about the stage.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #727 on: December 12, 2007, 08:39:50 AM

I was a runway model for a while. For seriously.
WayAbvPar

Reply #728 on: December 12, 2007, 09:01:41 AM

I was a runway model for a while. For seriously.

But then the plane landed. Rimshot

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #729 on: December 12, 2007, 11:28:14 AM

How does one model a runway?

Cryo
Developers

NCsoft Europe

Reply #730 on: December 19, 2007, 06:00:57 AM

Greetings,

French (living in UK), 27, working at NCsoft Europe currently Community Coordinator on City of Heroes (Europe).

Associate degree in computer science.

Old-school gamer (started at age 3 on a commodore64, choplifter ftw).

Playing MMOs since '97 -> Ultima Online.

Oh, and I like rum. I also hate Winter season.

That's about it I think.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #731 on: December 19, 2007, 07:09:23 AM

I bet you have red eyes!

climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #732 on: December 21, 2007, 01:30:43 PM

I'm back to lurking and reading when I have internet.  I've recently finished the selection process for US Army Special Forces, and am currently undergoing training as a Special Forces Medic (18D) and being taught Russian. 18D's learn everything from basic sick call to trauma surgery to dive medicine and veterinary skills. I've got a lot on my plate, so that cuts f13 reading time, but I pop in every now and again.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #733 on: December 21, 2007, 01:56:53 PM

I speak a bit of Russian.

Garagekey.  Backdoorkey.  Frontdoorkey.  Sidedoorkey.  Bikesheddoorkey.  Justplaindoorkey. 

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #734 on: December 21, 2007, 02:00:05 PM

18D? I once knew a 36DD.

Anyway, good to hear you're jamming, CJT. I want to climb out there again someday, your name always reminds me of those long ago days.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 41 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: What do you do and where?  
Jump to: