Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 10:03:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: What do you do and where? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What do you do and where?  (Read 571346 times)
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #630 on: August 10, 2007, 11:02:18 AM

Well, I am English Lit. At least people will know I'm somewhat literate.

There are quite a few jobs that pay extremely well and simply require a degree in *anything*.  Hell, I'm cranking out a degree in marketing to be a catastrophe insurance adjuster.  My degree will have zero relevancy to the job, but it's a requirement for any of the large insurance companies.  So in 4 years, I'll get paid to tell people bad things just after horrible, catastrophic things happen to them.  That makes me the happy.

On starting college late - I wouldn't have learned a goddamn thing had I went when I was 18.  Learning how a system works before you start theorizing how to make it better is never a bad idea, the one thing I'm not looking forward to is the people.  I've found that college freshman generally have absolutely no idea how the world works, and are thusly qualified to tell you A) exactly what is wrong with it B) How to fix it C) How much of a better job they could do, as opposed to someone who's been doing it for 30 years.
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #631 on: August 10, 2007, 11:04:31 AM

Speaking as someone with a degree in English Literature, there are very few jobs you're going to be able to get on the strength of your degree alone (as opposed to something like accounting or mechanical engineering).  There are certainly companies that just want to know that you have a college degree and will then evaluate you on your other qualities during the hiring process, but no company ever says 'We absolutely need an English Lit major for this position'.

Since I graduated three years ago, I've taught English abroad for a year, and then spent two years teaching sailing, and now I'm a week or three away from going abroad again.  I've greatly enjoyed the last three years, but I honestly could have done the same thing with a degree in basket weaving and I can't see a long term career in either position. 

I enjoyed being in English major as an undergrad (it certainly wasn't all that hard and I can write far better than 95% of the people I know if I put some effort in), but if I had to do it all over again, I'd definitely major in something more, you know, useful.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 11:06:05 AM by Raging Turtle »
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #632 on: August 10, 2007, 11:55:47 AM

If I could have done it all over again, I would have gone the GI Bill route. I wasted the first 2-3 years of college being drunk all the time.

The people that had had 5-10 years of experience in the world and knew what they wanted out of college were so much more successful and interesting in discussions it astounded me. I recall one class where one student verbally went off on the professor who attacked some idea of theirs. It was fascinating to see them present a logical argument, and the next day the prof apologized to the class and the student for being wrong.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #633 on: August 10, 2007, 11:59:35 AM

GI Bill is good. Sucky that reservists don't get to use it once they get out though - I only have until spring to burn $30k!

- Viin
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #634 on: August 10, 2007, 12:00:56 PM

Speaking as someone with a degree in English Literature, there are very few jobs you're going to be able to get on the strength of your degree alone (as opposed to something like accounting or mechanical engineering).  There are certainly companies that just want to know that you have a college degree and will then evaluate you on your other qualities during the hiring process, but no company ever says 'We absolutely need an English Lit major for this position'.

Since I graduated three years ago, I've taught English abroad for a year, and then spent two years teaching sailing, and now I'm a week or three away from going abroad again.  I've greatly enjoyed the last three years, but I honestly could have done the same thing with a degree in basket weaving and I can't see a long term career in either position. 

I enjoyed being in English major as an undergrad (it certainly wasn't all that hard and I can write far better than 95% of the people I know if I put some effort in), but if I had to do it all over again, I'd definitely major in something more, you know, useful.

Seems like everyone I meet at the competing cell companies is either an English Lit or Fine Arts major.

Do you want 1900 WCDMA service with those fries?

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #635 on: August 10, 2007, 05:02:51 PM

Military -> College is one of the bestest paths in life, IMO.  GI Bill + motivation 4tw.  Also, it is nice to know you have the military to fall back on is wonderful!

Also, I have found people tend to respect you more and give you opportunities you would not have without the military thing.  It definitely has given me an edge up, work/education wise.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #636 on: August 10, 2007, 05:48:06 PM

I did the opposite of Murgos, and I agree with him completely.

You're a deckhand on a fishing boat?!  :-D

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #637 on: August 10, 2007, 10:23:34 PM

Long overdue, but I currently work at a movie theater in Redwood City (as I've mentioned elsewhere).  I'm trained in pretty much every aspect of the theater but I spend most of my time in the projection booth and the money room.  Before this, I was in charge of shipping and receiving at the local Toys R Us.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #638 on: August 11, 2007, 10:11:58 AM

I did college right after school because it was what I was supposed to do.  The military didn't want me, so I went to school instead.  Working a full time job in the real world of programming and IT gave me such a disdain for the CS program that the only reason I graduated with a CS degree is because I already had 6 out of 10 classes done for it by the beginning of my 3rd year.  My electrical engineering degree was big on theory, but they forced you to actually do a semester long project for 5 semesters which was harder and more work than anything I have ever done in the real world regarding engineering.  Being in a room full of professors who actually know how the real world works and not just theory drilling you on your designs and over miniscule choices over why you chose that BJT vs another and what the math meant as to how it was biased and why your 1k resistor should have been a 2.2k... a very uncomfortable experience but one that really made me appreciate how to go in front of a room of people smarter than me and convince them I knew what I was doing.  It made me not worry a bit about going toe to toe with our CTO and VP of engineering over my designs at my current company.  Not all colleges are like that though, most are big on theory and poor on application.  I got lucky.  And I was lucky to be done with college by 24 rather than just starting it (as much as I enjoyed it at the time, I can't see going back any time soon).

Music theory probably would have been more fun, but I wouldn't have been able to do much of anything with it compared to what I get to do now.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #639 on: August 13, 2007, 09:16:51 PM

Military -> College is one of the bestest paths in life, IMO.  GI Bill + motivation 4tw.  Also, it is nice to know you have the military to fall back on is wonderful!

Also, I have found people tend to respect you more and give you opportunities you would not have without the military thing.  It definitely has given me an edge up, work/education wise.

For sure. I decided while I was sweating my balls off during two tours of Iraq that I was going to get out as soon as my contract was up and then go off to kick ass in college. College rocks.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #640 on: August 13, 2007, 09:39:57 PM

Grats, and welcome home.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #641 on: August 14, 2007, 12:14:10 PM

I did the opposite of Murgos, and I agree with him completely.

You're a deckhand on a fishing boat?!  :-D

Almost.  I put fizz in soda.  If I wanted to get into management, the lack of a degree would be a roadblock.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #642 on: August 14, 2007, 07:46:33 PM

Aww, no MBA for Da Da?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #643 on: August 15, 2007, 04:10:51 AM

He's a wiseguy, fugeddaboudit? Oops, sorry, I may have my evil empires confused.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #644 on: August 30, 2007, 05:19:38 PM

I have a major interview with my company tomorrow.  More details to follow.   NDA

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #645 on: August 30, 2007, 05:27:22 PM

Aww, no MBA for Da Da?

Nothing but lots and lots of college credit that somehow does not add up to a diploma.  I am pretty sure I could qualify for a Bachelor of General Shit.  Two good years of general engineering, one year of theatre, half year of mechanical engineering, one or two years of mathematics, and one year of aviation management.  That was also padded with some electives and things like Spanish, Bowling, Photography, and other forgotten arcana.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #646 on: August 30, 2007, 06:31:09 PM

I have a major interview with my company tomorrow.  More details to follow.   NDA

Good luck!  I'll root for you! 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #647 on: August 30, 2007, 07:43:41 PM

Aww, no MBA for Da Da?

Nothing but lots and lots of college credit that somehow does not add up to a diploma.  I am pretty sure I could qualify for a Bachelor of General Shit.  Two good years of general engineering, one year of theatre, half year of mechanical engineering, one or two years of mathematics, and one year of aviation management.  That was also padded with some electives and things like Spanish, Bowling, Photography, and other forgotten arcana.

My friend, I believe you might qualify for the Van Wilder degree in Professional Studentry. Still, considering all I have to my name is two terms of Electronics CORE that I really never used, four photography classes taken in my thirties that have made me the "free wedding photographer" for my buddies, and a very exciting MCSE in NT4 - I envy you.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #648 on: August 30, 2007, 07:49:58 PM

I have the second most useless college degree in the world.

It might as well not be a degree.

I did some drinking in college. Maybe some partying. Definitely a lot of cigarettes and alcohol.

I only took 1 English course.

I got a B because I pointed out an error of questionable grammar in the project sheet for the final. Whoops.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #649 on: September 01, 2007, 03:58:54 PM

Interview went very well.  During interview I was e-mailed that I had received a promotion.  More of a title promotion, but hey.  It bolstered my spirits and I should know by end of next week if I got the biiiig promotion.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #650 on: September 01, 2007, 08:51:54 PM

All this talk of school reminds me that my three year old asked me what "grade" I was in this week. I had to count it up and realized I was in 22nd grade.  shocked

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #651 on: September 01, 2007, 09:05:20 PM

All this talk of school reminds me that my three year old asked me what "grade" I was in this week. I had to count it up and realized I was in 22nd grade.  shocked

That made me laugh unexpectedly which turned into a coughing fit while I was swallowing water.  If you weren't a lawyer, I'd sue you for something!   cheesy

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #652 on: September 02, 2007, 06:21:53 AM

My friend, I believe you might qualify for the Van Wilder degree in Professional Studentry. Still, considering all I have to my name is two terms of Electronics CORE that I really never used, four photography classes taken in my thirties that have made me the "free wedding photographer" for my buddies, and a very exciting MCSE in NT4 - I envy you.

Depending on what you end up doing, education can be pretty useless for your career. Most folks go to college before they know what they want to do. I think education is great for developing as a person, but you can also do that by self-tutelage, if you have the discipline. Look at Lum, he's edumacated up the wazoo, but no official education outside of highschool, if I remember his tale correctly. Then look at the boorish MBAs that stalk our world. All that college and all they do is bring misery through accounting.  smiley

Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #653 on: September 02, 2007, 08:07:35 AM

I'm currently living in Barcelona for about a month, and then deciding if I want to stay here or move somewhere else, like Istanbul. 

Love the city and it's amazing how fast my Spanish is coming back.  Catalan is a bit harder.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #654 on: September 03, 2007, 08:11:18 PM

I have had so many chances to go to Barcelona for work, but every year I just push it aside.

Thanks to the movie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109219/ I have a romantic ideal of the city in my head.  Always worried that if I actually go, all that will change...

I hope you enjoy your time there.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #655 on: September 03, 2007, 08:48:08 PM

Well, I was born and raised in Barcelona, so I'm currently green with envy at both of you.

Here's a view from my family's apt there.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #656 on: September 04, 2007, 07:42:14 AM

I only took 1 English course.

I got a B because I pointed out an error of questionable grammar in the project sheet for the final. Whoops.

Heh, I got a C in my english course because the instructor didn't like men.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #657 on: September 04, 2007, 12:48:20 PM

Well, I was born and raised in Barcelona, so I'm currently green with envy at both of you.

Here's a view from my family's apt there.

You lived accross the street from a gingerbread house?

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #658 on: September 04, 2007, 01:23:39 PM

He lived across the street from a park that hosts some of the coolest and weirdest pieces of art in the world.  (especially the Gaudi stuff) I'm so jealous.  I'd love to live in Barcelona for a year or so.  (in Engel's family apartment!)

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #659 on: September 04, 2007, 05:19:20 PM

To be fair, that photo was taken about 4 blocks and a jaunt across a wooded hill path from my apartment. Parque Guell is close, but not right outside the window. I WISH we could afford that kind of real estate. The top photo, tho, is taken from the apartment's balcony.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #660 on: September 05, 2007, 04:29:57 PM

Identity Protection/Identity Theft.

[EDIT] Oops! The damn exhibitionist in me.... Lets not go there.  :-D
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 04:37:09 PM by Stray »
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #661 on: September 05, 2007, 08:08:44 PM

Well, looks like I did not actually get picked up by the USAF. Apparently, the recent selection board was incredibly brutal, with something like a measly 31% selection rate; past graded [read: flight-types] boards were more around 80+%.

So, that's one dream shot to shit. Time to give Plans B1 and B2 a shot. I really don't want to have to fall back on Plans C and beyond....  undecided

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #662 on: September 05, 2007, 09:02:59 PM

Well, looks like I did not actually get picked up by the USAF. Apparently, the recent selection board was incredibly brutal, with something like a measly 31% selection rate; past graded [read: flight-types] boards were more around 80+%.

So, that's one dream shot to shit. Time to give Plans B1 and B2 a shot. I really don't want to have to fall back on Plans C and beyond....  undecided

Aww... I'm sorry. 

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #663 on: September 05, 2007, 10:17:44 PM

Sorry to hear that, man.  All I can say is keep plugging away; main thing you pick up while in the military is how to pick an objective then work towards it.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #664 on: September 06, 2007, 07:21:07 AM

I remember talking to guys who sat on the selection boards.  By all accounts they are brutal.  The bad candidates are easy to weed out so everyone left is usually an A+ candidate so who gets picked and who doesn't can come down to very minute and seemingly trivial differences.

Don't take it personally, not being augmented isn't a reflection on your quality it's just a matter of too many people and not enough positions.  I know people who had to try several times before they got in.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 41 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: What do you do and where?  
Jump to: