Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 11:04:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Violin repair 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Violin repair  (Read 4802 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

on: April 04, 2006, 02:07:35 PM

I have a violin.  Maybe it's a fiddle.  Needs repair.  Tired of the local wild goose chase.  Resorting to asking internet strangers for advice.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 08:47:23 AM

Find out who does work for your local school district. We have a single music shop in town, the bulk of their business is school sales/rentals/repairs. Lots of violins.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 06:48:04 AM

I'm guessing elmers glue and duct tape.  Have at it.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 10:30:12 AM

My immediate thought was trade it at a pawn shop to keep your kid from getting beat up.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 01:25:16 PM

Find out who does work for your local school district. We have a single music shop in town, the bulk of their business is school sales/rentals/repairs. Lots of violins.

Genius.

My immediate thought was trade it at a pawn shop to keep your kid from getting beat up.

It is actually the wife's instrument.  I was supposed to have it fixed three years ago.  I hope to use the violin to postpone installing that ceiling fan.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 01:40:23 PM

Go ahead and put in the ceiling fan.  It takes hardly any time and that kind of thing impresses the wimmenfolk; just don't let on how easy it really is.

(Unless for some reason you're installing a completely new fixture instead of replacing an existing one.  In that case, pay an electrician for that, it's worth it.  Crawling around in your attic running new wiring is mucho suck.)

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 02:00:56 PM

I am replacing a fixture.  The fan is in a box at the bottom of the stairs.  My wife, unfortunately, knows that I am adept at installing ceiling fans.  Not that it is hard when there is an existing fixture.  My other options are probably worse.

Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 07:09:31 AM

Genius.

It is actually the wife's instrument.  I was supposed to have it fixed three years ago.  I hope to use the violin to postpone installing that ceiling fan.

Violin repairs can be quite costly. I say go with the fan instead.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 09:58:15 AM

Is there a difference between violins and fiddles?
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 11:05:38 AM

Is there a difference between violins and fiddles?

Depends on what kind of music you are playing.

"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 11:32:34 AM

And whether the back of your neck is red.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 11, 2006, 12:01:22 PM

Whether or not you have to wear shoes at a formal recital...

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 11, 2006, 12:31:35 PM

I saw a great bluegrass trio last year, mandolin/fiddle/guitar. The mandolinist was some famous picker (and a GREAT character, like 70 yrs young), and at one point he wanted to play some "Bay-toe" (Beethoven). The fiddler went and sat in the corner. The mandolinist explained: "He had to learn that classy stuff (classical) in school afore he could play the fiddle right (bluegrass). He ain't gonna play the Baytoe with us, he done with that stuff."

I got a chuckle out of it, anyway.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: April 11, 2006, 01:16:32 PM

I saw a great bluegrass trio last year, mandolin/fiddle/guitar. The mandolinist was some famous picker (and a GREAT character, like 70 yrs young), and at one point he wanted to play some "Bay-toe" (Beethoven). The fiddler went and sat in the corner. The mandolinist explained: "He had to learn that classy stuff (classical) in school afore he could play the fiddle right (bluegrass). He ain't gonna play the Baytoe with us, he done with that stuff."

I got a chuckle out of it, anyway.

So very true though. When I took violin lessons, I was told I had to learn classical before I could move on to more "contemporary" pieces for the violin.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 06:44:30 AM

I have a violin.  Maybe it's a fiddle.  Needs repair.  Tired of the local wild goose chase.  Resorting to asking internet strangers for advice.
What's the problem with the violin?
schild
Administrator

Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 07:01:13 AM

I can not believe a spammer bumped a thread from 2006 and Trippy responded without noticing.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 07:12:41 AM

LOL awesome, for real
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 08:39:29 AM

I can't believe that it's three years later and Yegolev still hasn't installed the ceiling fan.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
CharlieMopps
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 11:09:40 AM

I wanna know what happened to the violin

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 12:32:09 PM

I can't believe that it's three years later and Yegolev still hasn't installed the ceiling fan.
DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Violin repair  
Jump to: