Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 07:16:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Working all night? Rarg! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Working all night? Rarg!  (Read 3507 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

on: January 23, 2006, 11:19:46 PM

Sometimes my job really sucks dog balls.  Not in a good way, either.  And having a god-damned queue on fucking Crushridge in WoW is asinine.  Pigfucking Blizzard.  All I wanted to do was finish off the damn emergency DB restore and several other easy-as-shit things, go mine some fucking asteroids in EVE (you know, since Blizz won't let me into WoW... aw, hell EVE is a better game) and I get whiny bastards from Manilla wanting me to check CPU utilization on some server, when the REAL problem is something that has been pissing me off since 1500 today... HOW ABOUT PESTERING THE ON-CALL PERSON, ASSLICKER!!!!

I don't know how this company accomplishes anything.  Good night.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 11:32:16 PM

Is the on-call list up to date and distributed to the people who actually need to use it? We used to have this problem all the time because only the shift managers in operations would get the list via e-mail and half the time delete it, then they'd have to try and guess who was oncall, and hope to get a hold of someone. Then we tried putting it on the intranet and that was a total failure for no reason we could figure out. We finally made the company spring for an extra cell phone to be the "oncall" phone. No problems at all since then, The oncall number never changes, though if it's your turn to have it and you don't answer it, you better be unconscious in a hospital.

And WOW queues are teh ghey.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 12:06:49 AM

Is the on-call list up to date and distributed to the people who actually need to use it? ... Then we tried putting it on the intranet and that was a total failure for no reason we could figure out.

This is the situation we are in.  We have a well-defined structure designed to keep people from actually contacting me, but I happened to be carrying on a conversation via the corp IM about the thing that has been keeping me from working, and of course that means my buddies in Manilla can bring me shitty grunt work.  Apparently I am a shitty grunt who has nothing but free time to see if the CPUs are "busy".  Any fuckwit can run vmstat... well, maybe not just any fuckwit.  I gave them the name of the on-call person, since a cut-n-paste of the link would end up being wasted effort.

As I type this, we have a conference call with the on-call, me, and a guy who actually knows what he is doing.  Ostensibly, I am working... I am in fact surfing f13.net, which is strangely poetic.

Lots of gheyity tonight.  No debug mode for nfsd.  AIX 4.3.3 out of support, and we didn't pay extra for the maintenance.  My brrestore puked (but I fixed it, the piece of shit).  Super ghey.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 08:32:37 AM

Problems with offshoring in Manilla that are far and above the cost savings to the company? Perish the thought!

WayAbvPar

Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 10:33:01 AM

Is the on-call list up to date and distributed to the people who actually need to use it? We used to have this problem all the time because only the shift managers in operations would get the list via e-mail and half the time delete it, then they'd have to try and guess who was oncall, and hope to get a hold of someone. Then we tried putting it on the intranet and that was a total failure for no reason we could figure out. We finally made the company spring for an extra cell phone to be the "oncall" phone. No problems at all since then, The oncall number never changes, though if it's your turn to have it and you don't answer it, you better be unconscious in a hospital.

Yeah, that is how we do it. What really sucks is having a automated text message come in at 2 AM to wake me up, even though I know that 99% of the time it is some bullshit Internet traffic that caused the ping to time out. Then I have to wait 10 minutes for the "Server Ok" text to come in to make sure it wasn't a real problem. I could actually get out of bed and check it out, but that would wake me up even further.

Being on call sucks a great deal of ass. At least my position is hourly (by state law), so I get juicy overtime if the goddamned phone goes off. 2 hours minimum...

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 11:00:45 AM

Problems with offshoring in Manilla that are far and above the cost savings to the company? Perish the thought!

OK, here is the entertaining part.  These are employees.  Not contractors.  We are a global corp, you know, not sure why they didn't think of this earlier.  We tried offshoring for "real" work and found it to really blow.  Anyway, this means the noose is very real and these guys have to be careful.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 11:16:38 AM

Yeah, that is how we do it. What really sucks is having a automated text message come in at 2 AM to wake me up, even though I know that 99% of the time it is some bullshit Internet traffic that caused the ping to time out. Then I have to wait 10 minutes for the "Server Ok" text to come in to make sure it wasn't a real problem. I could actually get out of bed and check it out, but that would wake me up even further.

Most of our alerts are generated by monitoring programs.  There just isn't any way a human could handle all that text paging.  We also have onsite staff to handle the easy stuff first, so I make a quick judgement based on the alarm as to whether I need to slide down the batpole or roll over.  The onsite guys are usually a good filter, but there is a knowledge gap.  I don't mind being hit by robotic pages, it's when a real person decides they need to submit an under-the-table request for something dumb that angers the raging beast within.

Being on call sucks a great deal of ass. At least my position is hourly (by state law), so I get juicy overtime if the goddamned phone goes off. 2 hours minimum...

If they paid me hourly, they would blow the department budget some weeks... even without me being on call.  I am not on call this week and I worked almost straight through to 0400 this morning.  When I am on-call, I am not required to show up at the office all week, which really helps.  Easier to hide.  Saves gas.  Whatnot.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 11:33:08 AM

When I worked at our local newspaper, I once had to answer a phone call from someone that worked in our IS department about how to save files (a text file) to a disk at 2:30 AM, you know, in the fucking morning. Our IS DEPARTMENT. I was, by the way, one of only 2 people in the WEB DESIGN department at the time.

I was fucking livid.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 03:47:08 PM

I dread gainful employment at this point. I'm still a legal intern and I want to die every second of the 8+ hours I sit there in a workday reordering and scanning divorce files.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
WayAbvPar

Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 04:31:00 PM

When I worked at our local newspaper, I once had to answer a phone call from someone that worked in our IS department about how to save files (a text file) to a disk at 2:30 AM, you know, in the fucking morning. Our IS DEPARTMENT. I was, by the way, one of only 2 people in the WEB DESIGN department at the time.

I was fucking livid.

I would have discussed it with him the next day using small words and a large stick.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 24, 2006, 05:29:09 PM

If you want a fun night time job you should work for a automobile repossession company. I hear it's just like being a bounty hunter ... for CARS.

- Viin
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 25, 2006, 01:48:15 PM

If you want a fun night time job you should work for a automobile repossession company. I hear it's just like being a bounty hunter ... for CARS.

Why am I thinking of Emileo Estievz suddenly.....

schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: January 25, 2006, 01:54:29 PM

Why am I thinking of Emileo Estievz suddenly.....

Repoman might be the worst job evar.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13 on: January 30, 2006, 12:33:05 PM

I was fucking livid.

You got an actual LOL with that.  Congratulations.  I am glad that I don't have to talk to end-users too often.  My clients are IT staff and generally with-it as far as baseline junk.  I can also whip out the "Well, if it's not UNIX I can't help you." or for people who are not in IT: "Did you call the help desk?"

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #14 on: January 30, 2006, 01:32:19 PM

Two words: zinc whiskers.

Just before you posted this thread the folks one level up from us, system-wise, had their entire server room go down. And it's down until cleanup can be completed and insurance claims filed. Fun.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #15 on: January 31, 2006, 11:01:49 AM

Cleanup?  That will be an interesting tale, if it is leaked.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #16 on: January 31, 2006, 12:13:17 PM

I was fucking livid.

You got an actual LOL with that.  Congratulations.  I am glad that I don't have to talk to end-users too often.  My clients are IT staff and generally with-it as far as baseline junk.  I can also whip out the "Well, if it's not UNIX I can't help you." or for people who are not in IT: "Did you call the help desk?"

This WAS an IT staff person, not an end user.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Working all night? Rarg!  
Jump to: