Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 05:25:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Park City, UT 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Park City, UT  (Read 8905 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

on: December 28, 2009, 06:40:57 PM

I'm going and probably staying at Marriott Mountainside.

Discuss.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 06:41:35 PM

significance? significant?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 06:52:05 PM

Apparently you have money to burn.  Nice place.   

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 07:18:36 PM

What do you want to know?

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 07:59:47 PM

If you want to go swimming in a cool place, head over to Homestead and take swim in the Crater. Or a scuba dive. 90* water in a mostly enclosed rock formation.

http://www.homesteadresort.com/Crater

- Viin
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 08:29:49 PM

Not sure.  I only know that I want to ski in/out and I am pretty sure the Marriott does that.  I'm hoping to have the boy learn to ski; he will be six and I'm thinking he needs to learn now instead of later when it hurts to fall.  There should also be places for the woman to entertain herself, so really I'm just looking for "don't wave your hand with the palm facing outward or the Mormons will club you to death" or "do some exercise before you go" type info.

Apparently you have money to burn.  Nice place.   

Can't take it with you.  Might as well Stimulate the economy.  Also, I hear bad things about Smuggler's Notch and I'm not going to WV again.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 08:31:57 PM

If you want to go swimming in a cool place, head over to Homestead and take swim in the Crater. Or a scuba dive. 90* water in a mostly enclosed rock formation.

I don't swim, but I will put this in the file.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 09:52:54 PM

Not sure.  I only know that I want to ski in/out and I am pretty sure the Marriott does that.  I'm hoping to have the boy learn to ski; he will be six and I'm thinking he needs to learn now instead of later when it hurts to fall.  There should also be places for the woman to entertain herself, so really I'm just looking for "don't wave your hand with the palm facing outward or the Mormons will club you to death" or "do some exercise before you go" type info.

That place is definitely a ski in type place as it is right up against the resort lifts. My mother in law actually has a timeshare at that place so I've stayed there (in summer) and it is pretty nice.

Don't worry about offending the natives. Park City is not like the rest of Utah. Very liberal place and knows its bread is buttered with tourist dollars. You are going to be relatively close to Main Street which has all of the good shops/restaurants although far enough that walking is kind of a pain, particularly in winter. If no car there is a good bus system that will take you there.  There is also a state liquor store right in the middle of Main Street if you want to pick up anything other than 3.2 beer.  If you want specific restaurant recommendations I can provide those.

There is another shopping district a ways away called Kimball Junction (you will pass it on the way in) that has an outlet mall that I don't think is particularly good, but opinions vary.  You can get there on the bus too but it is about 40 minutes.  If you want to go real high class journey up to Deer Valley for dinner.

If you are spending any time in Salt Lake I can give you info on that as well.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 10:42:24 PM

Isn't swimming more of a vital knowledge then skiing?   why so serious?
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 08:28:05 AM

Get yourself a couple of bottles of this shit...

High West 21-year-old. Drink 'til the Sundance people go away, then board your ass off.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 09:39:58 AM

Ya, I should have mentioned visiting the distillery there in town although I actually prefer the regular stuff over the 21 Year (blasphemous I know).

I also should have mentioned DON'T GO DURING SUNDANCE.  You won't be able to get in anywhere and the posuer quotient exceeds the celebrity sighting quotient.

-H.L. Mencken
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 09:51:46 AM

I also should have mentioned DON'T GO DURING SUNDANCE.  You won't be able to get in anywhere and the posuer quotient exceeds the celebrity sighting quotient.

Ah, shit, did not think of that.  Thanks for the tip.  That is exactly what I was looking for even when I did not know it.

I'd like to go to a high-class restaurant but I'll have the boy, so no point in that.  Seems like I can avoid renting a car, which I'd like to do if possible.  The Marriott should have a shuttle from the airport and I can walk/bus elsewhere.

Isn't swimming more of a vital knowledge then skiing?   why so serious?

I keep hearing this.

schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 10:03:34 AM

Why the fuck did you build a pool then?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 12:33:22 PM

Why the fuck did you build a pool then?

The other people in my house swim.  You know, when not working at the factory and cooking barefoot.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 03:31:30 PM

Also, I hear bad things about Smuggler's Notch

What have you heard? I've been going there for the better part of 10 years to my uncle's timeshare (he's a club owner).

FYI, it has the (last I checked) highest-rated ski school in the US (all ages), it's a very family-centric resort, and they really take care of you there.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 05:13:47 PM

Probably wants to go to a real mountain.  awesome, for real

There are a couple of good relatively high-end restaurants that I will recommend for the heck of it. Wahso is an asian fusion type place and if you can get a booth, you are practically in your own room (they even have a curtain you can close if you want) so the kid wouldn't be much of a problem.  Chimayo is also good and a bit more casual. Both are on Main Street.

Wahso

Chimayo

Another good place that may work out isn't on Main Street but isn't far from your place called Chez Betty.  

I don't think ambiance-wise a kid would be a problem in any of these places. You can check out the menu to see if you could feed the youngin as none of them exactly have "kid's menus".  Of those I think Chez Betty would be the most likely to "whip something up" for the kid if you asked real nice although no guarantee on that as I've never tried it.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 05:16:14 PM by Abagadro »

-H.L. Mencken
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 08:45:50 PM

Probably wants to go to a real mountain.  awesome, for real

Well, it IS just Vermont.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: December 29, 2009, 08:57:34 PM

Ski in/out lodging is definitely the way to go regardless of any $$$ premium.  SkiReport helps me see snow conditions.  I also saw some lift package ticket deal while I was at Costco today for Park City (and Mammoth, CA) and I believe there was a mention of rentals and lessons for Park City but I can't remember if that was part of the ticket or some discounted package thing.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: January 01, 2010, 09:28:40 PM

I actually grew up here.  Well, fairly close by at least.  It's a beautiful place, no doubt.  I miss the crisp mountain air something fierce living down in the shit smog valley below. 

As for recommendations...well I only know about cheaper places.  The nice tourist fueled restaurants/night life was always above me.  For mexican, can't go wrong with El Chubasco's.  Their burritos are great, and their salsa bar is  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?.  For pizza, Davansas is a classic local place.  Star Bar is cool on main street.  If you end up in Salt Lake City, I have many more things to recommend, but for sure go to The Bayou or the newly opened Beerhive downtown.  Classy places with very good beer selections.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010, 08:04:42 AM

It is done.  I'll be there sometime between March 6-11-ish... basically four days, I just can't remember which four.  Marriott Mountainside, which has access to the frozen activities we want, minus the tubing park.  So we will rent a car and drive out to Gorgoza Park for the tubing one day, ski another day and ice skate probably, and go shopping on another.

I'm hoping it is worth the money. Ohhhhh, I see.  Otherwise, back to the East Coast for me.  Personally, I'd be fine staying at the Motel 6, but I'm taking the woman.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: January 04, 2010, 07:43:41 PM

There isn't any shopping up there that would justify missing a ski day IMO.

-H.L. Mencken
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 10:50:18 PM

I agree.  I'd say that if I was in WV.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: January 05, 2010, 08:09:52 AM

Pretty decent Texas chili place on main street too.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #23 on: January 05, 2010, 09:44:41 AM

I'll worry about that if I mangle a leg and can't slide down the mountain properly.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: March 05, 2010, 09:52:04 AM

Your timing is good. We just had a big huge snowstorm just roll through that dropped almost 2 feet up in the mountains, so you should have good conditions when you get here.  Will probably get more snow on Sunday.

-H.L. Mencken
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #25 on: March 05, 2010, 12:49:04 PM

Faaaaantastic.  Assuming I can get from SLC to Park City.  The assumption is that the local municipalities know how to clear the roads.

Today and tonight is the game of figuring out how much clothing I can take while spending the least on luggage overweight fees.  Seriously considering buying clothes while there and discarding the surplus before I leave.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: March 05, 2010, 01:57:20 PM

We are good at clearing roads here.  Plus its the time of year where the snow doesn't stick to the roads much.

-H.L. Mencken
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #27 on: March 06, 2010, 06:59:31 PM

I officially hate US Airways now.  Their shit plane broke and i missed my connection in phoenix.  They put me on a Delta flight but put my luggage on another plane.  Idiots.  Anyway , finally here and boy are my arms tired.  Probably eating at El Chupacabra or whatever since multiple people have suggested it. 

I am not worried about my son making a ruckus in a restaurant, i am thinking he doesn't like asian fusion.  So maybe next time.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #28 on: March 16, 2010, 08:58:29 AM

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #29 on: March 16, 2010, 09:03:48 AM

Mostly ate pizza. Ohhhhh, I see.  It was good pizza, though.  Tried Utah BBQ at Grub and it was not offensive!  I asked for BBQ chicken but I think the waitress heard me say "four fried chickens, and a Coke".  Kitchen service was not great but the waitress groveled well enough.

I am done with rental boots.  I had some shit ones, which leads me to...

Reinjured my right shoulder.  Appointment to see my GP on Thursday.

Overall a great trip.  Horribly expensive, but great.

schild
Administrator

Reply #30 on: March 16, 2010, 09:14:47 AM

Funny, a trip to Utah doesn't strike me as something that should be horribly expensive. Pretty sure they'd have to pay me to even enter the state.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #31 on: March 16, 2010, 09:18:31 AM

It's cheap to get into Utah as most of it seems to be a post-nuclear adventure.  Park City, on the other hand, is not cheap if you want to do, buy, stay in, or eat anything.  Marriott Mountainside is officially the most expensive hotel I have ever stayed in.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: March 16, 2010, 11:25:15 AM

Pretty sure they'd have to pay me to even enter the state.

Utah is gorgeous.  I've hiked as much of it as humanly possible.  Mountain biking is similarly superb (Moab anyone?).  I also have found it to be among the best powder skiing in the world.  It's well worth the money if you're into those sorts of things.  

I tried very hard to get a job there, but the main universities weren't hiring and not being LDS hurt my chances at the ones that were.  
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 11:27:27 AM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #33 on: March 16, 2010, 12:32:14 PM

LDS is the church, right?  Not some secret scientist thingy?  Just making sure!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: March 16, 2010, 12:35:23 PM

LDS is the church, right?  Not some secret scientist thingy?  Just making sure!

LDS = Latter Day Saints.  It's alternative lingo for mormons. 

-  Mark Twain
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Park City, UT  
Jump to: