Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 08:26:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Seeking new web hosting 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Seeking new web hosting  (Read 8116 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

on: November 15, 2008, 06:52:31 AM

Speedfactory was bought and apparently turned into sausage by NextPhase Wireless, consequently I cannot find yegolev.com anymore.  I'm going to relocate and am curious what the smarties here think I should go with.  Currently yegolev.com is coded in PHP, so I'd rather go that route.  I'm also curious if there are any recommended hosts that have nice bells and whistles.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 08:37:38 AM

What type of hosting are you looking for (other than being able to run PHP)?

E.g. is a shared host all you need? Or you want a VPS or dedicated server?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 09:49:23 AM

I don't know what VPS is.  I just need a place for a XHTML/PHP web site to live, nothing more.  I'm not running forums or game servers.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
BitWarrior
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 10:27:21 AM

A VPS is a Virtual Private Server, but it seems thats far beyond what you really need. I personally use a Media Temple VPS, and its one of those really big, great names out there. They do have a Grid service for $20 a month which is incredibly reliable and obviously offers what you're looking for. Might want to take a look into that. www.mediatemple.net
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 05:43:37 PM by BitWarrior »

Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 12:10:51 PM

$20 a month?  That's crazy.

We use www.icdsoft.com for our political activities.  $6 a month with a lot of features.  PHP, MySQL, unlimited mail accounts, ftp, etc.  We have another host for an off-shoot site that costs about the same.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 01:30:53 PM

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 03:33:57 PM

Media Temple looks totally awesome, but I don't need all of that since I'm not running a business.  Yahoo looks a tad LCD for me.  I'll give ICDSoft a try, looks like it has what I want at a great price, plus it's UNIX-based.

Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 07:18:53 AM

I use hostgator and am not unhappy with it. 
trotski
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 09:36:08 AM

I've used Bluehost for all my hosting, and have liked it alot.

Xbox live: trotski44
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 01:39:35 PM

I hated Bluehost.  It might just be me, and their backup was better than ICDsoft, but their control panel made me want to stab someone.

Their PHP also didn't work when I tried to interface it with a mySQL 5 database.  Worked fine with mySQL 4, and it seemed to connect, but it simply wouldn't put the data in.  (I know the code worked, since I had it doing the same thing on a separate site.)  Also their FTP stopped working for me from home.  That might have been Time Warner's fault, but it kind of made it difficult to update the website.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 01:48:13 PM

I can afford to be extremely picky, so I'm denying them based on the stupid name and logo.

Lantyssa, do you have a opinion and/or screenshot of the ICD management interface?

trotski
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 03:26:55 PM

I hated Bluehost.  It might just be me, and their backup was better than ICDsoft, but their control panel made me want to stab someone.

Their PHP also didn't work when I tried to interface it with a mySQL 5 database.  Worked fine with mySQL 4, and it seemed to connect, but it simply wouldn't put the data in.  (I know the code worked, since I had it doing the same thing on a separate site.)  Also their FTP stopped working for me from home.  That might have been Time Warner's fault, but it kind of made it difficult to update the website.

Yeah, the old CP made me want to kill myself. I like the new one much better now, though. I use a MySQL 5 backend, and it's worked fine for me. Maybe just a bad experience, who knows. I like it since it's Linux/MySQL and it supports RoR, so it's fun to geek out with.

Xbox live: trotski44
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 09:14:52 PM

The various widgets have their own interfaces.  You can access the mySQL databases with their query tools if you prefer that interface.  The mail can be webmail, POP3, or IMAP.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 10:18:50 AM

That looks like a good fit for me.  I'll go with ICD.  Thanks for helping me Lant, I owe you a(n additional) beer.  I don't use the CP most of the time, just for things I cannot do via ftp.

As a tip, NextPhase is battered and fried in retard.  They got yegolev.com online again but they don't seem to have an account page, much less a CP.  I will need to call them in order to cancel, and I expect nothing but another lessening in my faith in humanity.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 08:18:14 PM

Glad I could help.

Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: November 20, 2008, 08:59:32 AM

I can afford to be extremely picky, so I'm denying them based on the stupid name and logo.

Lantyssa, do you have a opinion and/or screenshot of the ICD management interface?

but it's the fastest alligator in the swamp! Also, I kind of like hostgators cpanel

edit: hmm why does this thread seem to be loading endlessly?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 09:06:39 AM by Salamok »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #16 on: November 20, 2008, 06:33:42 PM

edit: hmm why does this thread seem to be loading endlessly?
Usually it's cause you are having trouble loading an offsite image.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #17 on: November 28, 2008, 11:49:16 AM

ICDsoft is great and the CP is easy to use.  Now yegolev at yegolev com is actually working.

fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: November 28, 2008, 12:02:01 PM

I know its past the time but I started using linode recently for VPS. Amazing so far.

Good to hear you found exactly what you needed Yegolev!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #19 on: December 01, 2008, 06:37:08 AM

VPS makes me all tingly in my nerd-groin but I don't have any reason to deploy a web server. My Amazon Affiliate account doesn't cover hosting fees... but that was when I was paying closer to $200 annually.  It would be neat if I could do so now that I'm paying just $76/yr.  awesome, for real

Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009, 03:11:09 PM

Okay my year of hosting is about to expire, I saw that mediatemple includes subversion now and am seriously tempted to pay $200 a year for their shared grid package.

A VPS is a Virtual Private Server, but it seems thats far beyond what you really need. I personally use a Media Temple VPS, and its one of those really big, great names out there. They do have a Grid service for $20 a month which is incredibly reliable and obviously offers what you're looking for. Might want to take a look into that. www.mediatemple.net

so does anyone have some hands on experience with this solution?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Seeking new web hosting  
Jump to: