Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 10:56:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 59 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anime recommendations  (Read 648321 times)
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1225 on: June 09, 2009, 06:23:46 AM

And could someone tell me if its worth my time to seek out Ideon?  I know it ends with what made Tomino famous, but if its not that good I won't waste my time.
Do you like Evangelion? How about original (UC - Amuro/Char/etc) Gundam? If you like both, you'll probably like Ideon.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1226 on: June 09, 2009, 11:52:04 AM

Finished Soul Eater awhile back, it was good until the story fell apart which happened around 40-something.  Its really too bad, they had a good framework but there was never much attempt at telling a story within that framework for whatever reason.  As if they came up with the concept and the show started airing before they decided what these characters were going to end up doing.  Its worth noting that the subs got terrible due to C&D's from Funi, I think by the end they were being translated by ESL Russians or something.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 07:52:15 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1227 on: June 09, 2009, 02:23:50 PM

And could someone tell me if its worth my time to seek out Ideon?  I know it ends with what made Tomino famous, but if its not that good I won't waste my time.
Do you like Evangelion? How about original (UC - Amuro/Char/etc) Gundam? If you like both, you'll probably like Ideon.

I like the Gundam movies anyhow.  Char's Counterattack was a steaming pile of shit.  Its like something Joss Whedon would have written.  Cept with less quipping.
Evangelion was good until the last 2 episodes and movie which it decided to go off the stupid end.
Though apparently Ideon at least gives it a happy ending of a sort, as opposed to bleakness.

Plus the Ideon is just a kickass fucking robot.  Too bad there really aren't any easily available cheap toys of it.  Some shitty 80s Tomy toys with ass proportions, ancient model kits which are probably similar.   A Yamato toy that's hard to find but probably the only one designed for the nerd on a budget, and then the amazingly awesome o riffic Soul of Chogokin.

LOOK AT THIS SEXY BITCH.  IT WANTS ME TO WASTE THE BETTER PART OF A PAYCHECK ON IT:
http://www.collectiondx.com/review/2007/ideon

Heart DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS Heart awesome, for real

Yet the price.. ye gods Japan.  Make something normal semi sane nerds can afford.  ACK!

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1228 on: June 09, 2009, 05:41:21 PM

While Eva was mentioned - A recent bit of official Gainax artwork:

...and something related from /m/ a fair old while back:

DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #1229 on: June 10, 2009, 12:50:54 AM

While Eva was mentioned - A recent bit of official Gainax artwork:

That's for the manga right?  I know, stupid question, but you never know.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1230 on: June 10, 2009, 02:11:50 PM

Probably just random art - Gainax chucks up a new random picture on their homepage on a weekly basis

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #1231 on: June 10, 2009, 09:55:46 PM

Taken from http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/04/06/live-action-evangelion-not-april-fools-after-all/

Cast list. I'm not a big fan of it, but wow if they pull it off.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
schild
Administrator

Reply #1232 on: June 10, 2009, 09:58:40 PM

Abe Hiroshi and Nanako Matsushima (Takashi Sorimachi's wife - they starred together in the live action GTO) are brilliant casting calls.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1233 on: June 11, 2009, 03:22:59 PM

:effort:

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1234 on: June 19, 2009, 03:20:47 PM

Another S2 Haruhi episode just aired - "Endless Eight"

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1235 on: June 26, 2009, 01:26:29 PM

And another S2 Haruhi episode just aired - "Endless Eight"

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1236 on: June 26, 2009, 07:29:52 PM

Two episodes with the same name?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #1237 on: June 26, 2009, 08:25:41 PM

They don't call it endless for nothing!

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1238 on: June 27, 2009, 08:16:24 AM

All will become clear once you've seen it.

Oh, and early reviews of Eva Rebuild 2.0 are coming in and they're...interesting.
In a  awesome, for real ACK! ACK! swamp poop ACK! DRILLING AND MANLINESS awesome, for real ACK! swamp poop sense.

Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #1239 on: June 27, 2009, 04:11:32 PM

So the only reviewer is that spastic internet chick Boxxy?

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1240 on: July 03, 2009, 06:15:50 AM

This week's Haruhi episode has aired: "Endless Eight"

Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #1241 on: July 03, 2009, 07:24:48 AM

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1242 on: July 03, 2009, 09:57:50 AM

Another S2 Haruhi episode just aired - "Endless Eight"

And another S2 Haruhi episode just aired - "Endless Eight"

This week's Haruhi episode has aired: "Endless Eight"

swamp poop

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1243 on: July 03, 2009, 12:24:34 PM

Only five more to go.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1244 on: July 03, 2009, 10:34:19 PM

Expert trolling by KyoAni? Ohhhhh, I see.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #1245 on: July 10, 2009, 12:36:54 AM

Umineko no Naku Koro ni

From 07th Expansion (Same folks who gave us Higurashi no Naku Koro ni) and billed as a Murder Mystery.

Set in 1986, the Ushiromiya family arrive on Rokken island, owned by the family.  Much of the first episode is comprised of introducing the slew of characters (the extended Ushiromiya family and their servants.)  The Ushiromiya family was a prosperous family in the late 1800s and early 1900s but their fortune was demolished by the Great Kanto Earthquake in 1923.  Ginzou Ushiromiya was given the reigns and he brought the family back into fortune, though he claims he had done so by trading his sould for 10 tonnes (20 billion yen) worth of gold to a witch named Beatrice.

Now that Ginzou is old and crotchety, his children begin viciously squabbling over his inheritance (largely because they all seem incompetent and need money) and the anime (as is typical) appears to focus on the exploits of the younger generation (as in Ginzou's grandchildren.)

Lecherous Leading Man: Battler
Violent Counterpoint/Leading Lady: Cousin Jessica
Creepy Loli: Cousin Marie
Clueless Big Tits: Servant Shanon
Quiet Emo Fuck: Servant Kanon
Background Color: Cousin George

The animation and dialogue appear to be above average quality and the story flows well. 
Even if they didn't do Higurashi which I loved, I'd definately give them a shot based on the first ep.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1246 on: July 12, 2009, 04:19:38 AM

Guess what this week's Haruhi was called?  awesome, for real

Strazos

Reply #1247 on: July 12, 2009, 10:09:40 AM

oh ffs  swamp poop

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1248 on: July 12, 2009, 09:39:31 PM

Guess what this week's Haruhi was called?  awesome, for real

I saw one Endless Eight and its all I need.  Slightly tweaking each episode with different things taking place isn't worth my time.
if Haruhi wants to do Groundhog Day she needs to get Bill Murray and do it properly goddamnit. 

I don't watch recap eps why would I watch the same episode only slightly different?
Strazos

Reply #1249 on: July 13, 2009, 07:27:40 PM

Fear the Backstab!
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #1250 on: July 14, 2009, 11:57:14 AM

So far, I'm only watching Tokyo Magnitude 8.0.  S'okay.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #1251 on: July 14, 2009, 01:55:36 PM

I just finished watching the first ep and I concur, S'okay.  But really, since virtually nothing at all actually happened until the end, and I'm still ready to watch ep 2, I guess it's got something going for it.  Oh, and the detailed drawings in the opening credits were pretty cool. 

Otherwise, I've been horribly negligent on checking out the first eps of other shows...

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1252 on: July 14, 2009, 04:14:25 PM

I must be the only person watching the FMA:Brotherhood series on Funi's site.

Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #1253 on: July 15, 2009, 07:44:46 AM

Anyone tried Canaan or Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 yet? I've heard mixed things about both.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1254 on: July 16, 2009, 06:10:17 PM

Hey guys, Haruhi just aired.  awesome, for real

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1255 on: July 21, 2009, 02:20:44 PM

Strazos

Reply #1256 on: July 21, 2009, 08:09:06 PM

K-On! seems decent.

Fear the Backstab!
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1257 on: July 24, 2009, 06:36:47 AM

Hey guys, Haruhi just aired.  awesome, for real
Guess what?  why so serious?

Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #1258 on: July 24, 2009, 10:13:13 AM

It's almost like it happens every week!

Strazos

Reply #1259 on: July 24, 2009, 04:40:17 PM

Once again...

Expert trolling by KyoAni? Ohhhhh, I see.

Fear the Backstab!
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 59 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations  
Jump to: