Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 10:43:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 59 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anime recommendations  (Read 648376 times)
Vash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1015 on: March 18, 2009, 08:16:18 AM

I don't mind Bleach. Some cool characters in that show. Too long though.

The first 60 or so episodes were pretty good, then it pretty quickly devolved into emo DBZ with swords.  ACK! 

I still follow it as more of guilty pleasure because DBZ pretty much introduced me to anime as a youngster and now I have a high tolerance for that type of show.  That doesn't stop me from being disappointed it ended up that way though.  Heartbreak
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1016 on: March 18, 2009, 09:38:57 AM

oh, i've seen it past 60. not sure how far, but far enough.. i thought it was good though through those episodes, you're right.

same could be said for naruto imo.
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #1017 on: March 18, 2009, 12:32:35 PM

I'm only about to mid 90s, the whole Bount thing is a bit annoying...
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #1018 on: March 18, 2009, 12:37:13 PM

same could be said for naruto imo.

Naruto was trash from the very first episode. Any show that does a flashback recollecting the events of the first half of the first ep at the second half of the same ep is doomed to be trash. OMG, 1min BREAK! GOTTA RECAP!

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1019 on: March 18, 2009, 12:45:58 PM

I don't remember a whole lot about that, but I do remember the beginning dozen or so episodes being pretty good. I wouldn't defend it in it's entirety, but calling it trash from the get go is a bit harsh.
Vash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1020 on: March 18, 2009, 01:10:42 PM

I'm only about to mid 90s, the whole Bount thing is a bit annoying...

That's because it's filler, hooray for shows being so popular that there is incentive to just make up side story arcs (usually crappy) to kill enough time for the manga to move forward.  Ohhhhh, I see.

That's what killed Naruto for a lot of people (assuming they liked the characters or story or just gave it a chance), they literally crapped out over a year's worth of filler.   swamp poop

If the idea of doing filler episodes or that practice becoming popular could be traced to a single person, I'd eventually try to make it a point to meet them and personally kick them in the junk.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1021 on: March 19, 2009, 12:22:40 AM

Geez, how does something like Ouran Host Club get so many "best comedy" votes (not here, but elsewhere I mean). Disappointed. I give up on that one.

School Rumble is pretty funny though. Kenji is hilarious. Finally, after much sifting, another delinquent like Onizuka.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1022 on: March 19, 2009, 10:22:20 AM

Bacause Ouran is awesome?  It's just not your cup o' tea, but a lot of us like drama/comedy over action/comedy.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1023 on: March 19, 2009, 04:48:39 PM

I like both; OHC had some really funny moments.

And yeah, Kenji is awesome.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1024 on: March 20, 2009, 12:42:29 AM

Bacause Ouran is awesome?  It's just not your cup o' tea, but a lot of us like drama/comedy over action/comedy.

Obviously you don't read the thread.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? Almost every anime I've spoken out for is comedy or has little action. Don't just read this one page, see me say "Naruto wasn't that bad", and assume too much out of it. edit - I just said on the page before this that GTO was my favorite.. and hell, I praised School Rumble in the same breath that I knocked Ouran.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 12:52:15 AM by stray »
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1025 on: March 22, 2009, 12:43:36 PM

Stomach growling... The Wilhelm Scream of Anime.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1026 on: March 26, 2009, 09:39:10 PM

Beck turned out pretty cool. Sometimes hard to get past the Engrish though. And generally speaking, Japanese lyrics - whether they're in Japanese or affected English - and this goes for all Japanese music, not just the show's - are pretty much nonsensical anyways. So it doesn't help if you put Engrish on top of that.

Some of the songs weren't bad though. I also liked it because I started playing guitars and messing around with bands at 13, and identified with this kid.

Back to the music though.. I'm trying to figure out if some of the Engrish was deliberate. There was a difference in quality as the show went on, and one of the characters even commented on improving the English lyrics in the songs. It's like the writers of the show purposely, and even brilliantly, pulled off shitty Engrish early on in the show.

Umm.. geez, i'm talking a lot about it. Some of the actors, just in their speech not just lyrics, had laughable Engrish too. And they were supposed to be American characters.

Basically, this show was rife with Engrish. Haha. Yet, it had a lot of heart, so it was cool.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #1027 on: March 27, 2009, 05:58:56 AM

Yup, it was a peculiar anime.  I was enthralled with the main song for weeks afterward.

I'm about 3/4 through Casshern SINS and I'm enjoying it.  A soul-searcher in a dystopian world and what happens things that don't die start to.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
schild
Administrator

Reply #1028 on: March 27, 2009, 06:28:58 AM

I'm about 3/4 through Casshern SINS and I'm enjoying it.

I find it INCREDIBLY hard to bring myself to remotely care about anything attached to the Casshern name.

Basically, this show was rife with Engrish. Haha. Yet, it had a lot of heart, so it was cool.

Beck was just great.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #1029 on: March 27, 2009, 09:54:17 PM

I'm about 3/4 through Casshern SINS and I'm enjoying it.

I find it INCREDIBLY hard to bring myself to remotely care about anything attached to the Casshern name.

Out of curiosity, why is that?  Personally I didn't like the earlier stuff, but SINS seems to only be related to the prior work in name and a few general concepts.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1030 on: March 29, 2009, 05:32:31 PM

I'm only halfway through it, but Nodame Cantabile is great. One of the funnier shows I've seen. As for being music related, it's better than Beck. Goofier, but better.
Sairon
Terracotta Army

Reply #1031 on: March 29, 2009, 05:54:45 PM

Watched Seirei no Moribito just recently, it's awesome, watch it if you haven't, I think it will appeal to pretty much anyone.  Ohhhhh, I see.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #1032 on: March 29, 2009, 06:16:53 PM

I liked Beck better.  Which is not to say I don't like Nodame.  First season was really well done, I haven't finished the one from Fall yet.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1033 on: March 29, 2009, 07:12:43 PM

Watched Seirei no Moribito just recently, it's awesome, watch it if you haven't, I think it will appeal to pretty much anyone.  Ohhhhh, I see.

I tried recently, but couldn't do it. Maybe another time. I haven't been too interested in historical themes for what seems like a couple of years now. Not even the most praised of samurai anime have won me over. Except Champloo, but that was sort of quirky/modernistic (and I'm convinced that it's creator can do no wrong anyways).
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #1034 on: March 30, 2009, 05:00:22 AM

Check out Samurai 7.  Giant fucking robots, yo.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1035 on: March 30, 2009, 01:07:03 PM

It takes even more willpower to enjoy giant robots.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #1036 on: March 30, 2009, 01:19:52 PM

Shush.
Watch it.
Enjoy it.

Sairon
Terracotta Army

Reply #1037 on: March 30, 2009, 03:47:55 PM

I tried recently, but couldn't do it. Maybe another time. I haven't been too interested in historical themes for what seems like a couple of years now. Not even the most praised of samurai anime have won me over. Except Champloo, but that was sort of quirky/modernistic (and I'm convinced that it's creator can do no wrong anyways).

To bad, it's top notch in every department. But I can understand where you're coming from, I myself feel the same way currently about WW2 movies / series.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1038 on: March 30, 2009, 08:19:41 PM

I don't actually like robot anime all that much, there's only a couple that I enjoy and Samurai 7 is one of them. Mostly because the robots only get about 1-2 hrs screen time for the whole series, rather than being completely over used like most other shows.

Other good anime with robots/mechwarrior stuff, but not over used: Blue Gender, Full Metal Panic

- Viin
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1039 on: March 30, 2009, 09:24:33 PM

Perhaps I'll check it out. Right now, I'm watching just about every "slice of life/comedy" I've been curious about. After Cantobile, it's Cromartie High School. The only giant robot thing I've enjoyed in recent time is Gurren Laggan, but I'd hardly call that a mecha series. Oh and Code Geass.. the first season at least. But that was pretty different than other mecha shit as well.
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #1040 on: March 31, 2009, 05:05:19 AM

Samurai 7 was great, I have all the figures on my desk at work.

What did you guys think about Ergo Proxy? I have the box then pulled down an HD version and it looks really nice.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #1041 on: March 31, 2009, 06:26:39 AM

It's been a while since I've seen Ergo Proxy, so I don't remember a whole lot about it, but I know I placed it in my A+ folder.  I like dark and psychological shit like that, though if I remember correctly, there were a few wtf moments as well.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1042 on: March 31, 2009, 02:45:33 PM

It falls apart towards the end a little bit, anime seems to have a real hard time with scifi.  Great show though, the initial storyarc is amazing in every way.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #1043 on: April 01, 2009, 05:24:19 AM

Yeah I got that too from Ergo Proxy, some wtf moments.

Some of the others I enjoyed recently included Le Chevalier Deon, Basilisk, and Gankutsuo. I went back and watched Witch Hunter Robin too, good series.

Otakon is coming quick this year, only a few more months out. So much to catch up on.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1044 on: April 02, 2009, 06:47:45 PM

Gankutsuo is great.. Artwork is fantastic, and it's a worthy adapation. If anyone likes the Count of Monte Cristo it's worth watching. I'm curious about other adaptations like that, but they seem hard to come by (like RomeoXJuliet).
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1045 on: April 05, 2009, 08:48:52 PM

I liked Beck better.  Which is not to say I don't like Nodame.  First season was really well done, I haven't finished the one from Fall yet.

I see what you mean now. The second season wasn't as funny, the relationship with Nodame changed, and there weren't as many scenes focused on the actual music. As a standard 26 ep series though (taking the first season by itself), it's awesome. I like how the writer used a lot of classical music that wasn't popular too... So it didn't get too bogged down with Beethoven/Mozart/Bach etc. There's one Stravinsky piece in particular that's out of sight.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #1046 on: April 05, 2009, 08:56:46 PM

I finished the Clannad After Story, which was pretty good until the very end, but I'm used to anime going WTF at the very end.  I'm in the middle of Gundam 00 snd season now.

Looks like most of the 12-13 episode Winter anime is wrapping up, so I'll have some watching to do (I can't seem to watch them on a weekly basis anymore, too impatient.)

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1047 on: April 05, 2009, 09:10:09 PM

Actually, it was Rachmaninoff, not Stravinsky..

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1048 on: April 11, 2009, 10:35:06 AM

Watched a couple of the new shows that started last week.

The FMA remake looks good, although I watch with dread because I hatehatehate how it ended before.

Shangri-la is...wierd. Its post-apocalyptic, but everyone still seemed pretty upbeat. The main character girl kills tanks with a boomerang, which is both  DRILLING AND MANLINESS and  swamp poop. Generally left me asking "Where are they going with this?" I'll probably stick it out for another episode or two.

Tears to Tiara seems standard fantasy fare: boy's sister is kidnapped and going to be sacrificed to summon the Demon God. Nothing I haven't seen before (y helo thar); the animation is good however and the plot advanced pretty fast. If the cliche plot just turns out to be a cliche opening, the show might have some potential.

Phantom - Requiem for the Phantom is another strange one: a secret organization called Inferno kidnaps and brainwashes people into assassins called Phantoms. I'm not going to pretend this is anything new or awesome, but the characters are pretty and the action scenes are cool.

Still on the menu are Asura Cryin', Pandora Hearts, and Slap Up Party. Did I miss anything that doesnt suck?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1049 on: April 11, 2009, 11:47:58 AM

Did I miss anything that doesnt suck?

Cross Game, Eden of the East, and Basquash are getting pretty good reviews, for wildly different reasons.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 59 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations  
Jump to: