Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 01:42:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 59 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anime recommendations  (Read 648382 times)
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #875 on: August 06, 2008, 06:27:59 PM

Codec's are like my kryptonite.  swamp poop

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #876 on: August 07, 2008, 05:14:54 AM

I'll help!

I missed like a 3rd of the dialogue from the last few episodes because of some VLC subtitle bug, but yea, the folks making this Macross series know who is buttering their bread and all that  smiley

Don't use VLC for crying out loud.  GG's subs are awesome and full color and pretty and plenty visible with a good codec and player.  Me being a Mac user I like the Quicktime plug in Perian if I recall the name correctly.

Yep Perian is awesome. Couple that with Front Row and I'm in pure convenience.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #877 on: August 07, 2008, 08:51:16 PM

Does anyone know where I can get good frame-able stills of anime scenes? I've been looking for some cels, but most of them are crappy or expensive (if they are originals).

I really just want some nice reproductions of some of my fav anime. =)

- Viin
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #878 on: September 15, 2008, 05:59:48 AM

So is this going to get moved to the TV subforum, or does it stay here?

ObContent: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOBG3CCew7Q
The final Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Parallel Works - and it's sort of the prequel OVA I've wanted.
Oh, and the first movie is out in Japan, apparently.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #879 on: September 16, 2008, 09:51:18 AM

I've watched up to episode 14 of Macross Frontier, and largely enjoyed it. Sheryl has become increasingly less likable as the series progresses, and I would swear they're fighting the Shivans from FreeSpace.

Recently finished: Maria-sama season one, Herlock (sic) Endless Odyssey

We watched the first two volumes of Strawberry Panic concurrently with Mari-mite, and they were night to day. Strawberry Panic is slow. The characters have nothing to say, and fill out space with the bishoujo equivalent of smell the fart acting (look off in the distance with a wistful expression). Mari-mite is deliberate. The characters have lots to say, but the writers appear to work by Debussy's maxim that "music is the space between the notes."

Special note to Strawberry Panic author Sakurako Kimino: did you really need to recreate Aria, the most useless character from Sister Princess?

Currently watching: Kurau and Scryed on alternating nights

One of them is good. I'd give you two guesses which it is, but you wouldn't need them all.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 09:55:26 AM by Stormwaltz »

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #880 on: September 16, 2008, 04:53:02 PM

Currently watching: Kurau and Scryed on alternating nights

One of them is good. I'd give you two guesses which it is, but you wouldn't need them all.

Kurau was boring and I stopped watching after a few eps. I enjoyed Scryed, but I wouldn't say it's great.
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #881 on: September 16, 2008, 04:57:08 PM

Well then. Finally, something to watch.

Isn't Haruhi Season 2 due out this fall, too?

Everything in the fall lineup seems to be known now. There's no haruhi in the list. I see it on moon phase, but there's no date set.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #882 on: September 16, 2008, 05:13:10 PM

Kurau was boring and I stopped watching after a few eps. I enjoyed Scryed, but I wouldn't say it's great.

I'd have said the opposite - I thought Kurau was pretty damned good, but it's very character driven and definitely takes a while to really get going.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 05:14:48 PM by MisterNoisy »

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Chenghiz
Terracotta Army

Reply #883 on: September 16, 2008, 06:04:38 PM

Has anyone other than me been watching Detroit Metal City and thinking it's awesome? I seriously have not laughed this hard at anime for a long time.  It's like Beck mixed with Dethklok with a dose of rage.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #884 on: September 16, 2008, 07:09:16 PM

I got the first episode of Detroit Metal City and then castrated myself with a brick.  It does bad things to your cognitive functions.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #885 on: September 16, 2008, 10:42:29 PM

Has anyone other than me been watching Detroit Metal City and thinking it's awesome? I seriously have not laughed this hard at anime for a long time.  It's like Beck mixed with Dethklok with a dose of rage.

Watched up to 4, and it's great. I want to see the live action movie too.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #886 on: September 17, 2008, 12:56:23 PM

Well then. Finally, something to watch.

Isn't Haruhi Season 2 due out this fall, too?

Everything in the fall lineup seems to be known now. There's no haruhi in the list. I see it on moon phase, but there's no date set.
T.H.A.T. 'Fall' (Autumn) preview: http://that.animeblogger.net/2008/08/18/that-fall-2008-anime-preview/
Corpse Princess/Shikabane Hime: Gainax + zombie schoolgirl zombie-killer splatterfest = potential  awesome, for real
Linebarrels of Iron is Gonzo's last throw of the dice, too - they're on a countdown for delisting within a few months unless they start turning a profit.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 12:58:21 PM by Simond »

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #887 on: September 17, 2008, 03:55:56 PM

That would suck.  A LOT of good shit came out of GONZO.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #888 on: September 17, 2008, 07:24:07 PM

If I started ranting about how Code Geass S2 really only had to not totally shit the bed storywise and it would be awesome AND that was before I found out that they were going to throw all sorts of fucking fanservice my way aka Kallen was fun to look at all the damn time?  Yet, wtf, the story was written by some kind of crackhead who apparently just babbled incoherent shit and they tried to make it work??  Yikes.  I still have enjoyed it because they hooked me on the cast a long time ago, but I hate them for it now, because S2 makes no goddamn sense in the very very stupid way.

Everything else I've seen lately I promptly dropped on its head, but at least my to-watch list is getting much shorter.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #889 on: September 18, 2008, 01:22:51 AM

Hahahahah

One month later....always strikes me as a very lazy way of story telling.
I wish there's another Euphie retardo berzerker mode in R2 too bad.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #890 on: September 18, 2008, 02:22:34 AM

I'm glad the first season didn't compel me to want to try the second.

And there's nothing in that fall lineup that looks even worth a glance, let alone a three-ep trial. Oh well.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #891 on: September 18, 2008, 08:58:41 AM

Gonzo's last throw of the dice, too - they're on a countdown for delisting within a few months unless they start turning a profit.

Got a link on that? I hadn't heard anything about it.

EDIT: NM, found one in the preview.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 09:13:09 AM by Stormwaltz »

- Henry Cobb
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #892 on: September 18, 2008, 09:15:48 AM

Corpse Princess/Shikabane Hime: Gainax + zombie schoolgirl zombie-killer splatterfest = potential  awesome, for real

If this is good when it comes out someone needs to send me a PM because I'll forget to look at it.

I haven't watched Anime in forever.  awesome, for real

JoeTF
Terracotta Army

Reply #893 on: September 28, 2008, 11:46:40 AM

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 ending was pretty damn fucking awesome. awesome, for real Tbh, I vote it as best last episode ever.
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #894 on: September 28, 2008, 05:00:40 PM

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 ending was pretty damn fucking awesome. awesome, for real Tbh, I vote it as best last episode ever.

I'll second that.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #895 on: September 28, 2008, 10:06:56 PM

We finished Kurau - the good series I mentioned previously. The last episode followed the excellent practice of showing what happened after the plot was concluded. It was largely a series of gut-punches, the largest of which was presented in a lovely, subtle manner -- and then totally reversed in the last few minutes. Granted, it was reversed in a way that made complete sense and even echoed some relevent shots from the first episode. It still didn't quite sit right with me.

I struggled throughout the series to define what it's about, beyond the obvious "alien in a human girl" bit. After all the deal made about the Rynax Pairs in the final stretch, and witnessing the plethora of families that spring up in the epilogue, I think my initial guess was closest: it's about belonging.

As for Scryed, we have one disc left. I'm not going to provide content comments until we're done, but I would like to make a big fat complaint about Bandai Entertainment's release. Never before have I seen a release with such miserable quality control. I'd given up on the series twice because Bandai simply could NOT produce a disc without read errors or artifacting. Counting the errors we saw tonight, I've had three faulty copies of disc 1, two faulty copies of disc 2, and one faulty copy of disc 5.

I hope whoever was responsible for authoring this POS was fired, then shot as an example to all other DVD production houses.

- Henry Cobb
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #896 on: September 30, 2008, 10:44:46 PM

I'll second that.

Motion passes.

I mean, the cart ride scene was necessarry so that I could rest easy, wow, did not see that coming.  Too bad the second season was such a mess because it really was a fun show on so many levels.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
schild
Administrator

Reply #897 on: December 06, 2008, 04:53:49 PM

Just started watching Dennou Coil.

I hope the whole show is as compelling as the first episode.
Chenghiz
Terracotta Army

Reply #898 on: December 06, 2008, 06:33:33 PM

Just started watching Dennou Coil.

I hope the whole show is as compelling as the first episode.
Shit, I need to finish this. It slowed down some and I got distracted, but I do think it's worth watching.
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #899 on: December 06, 2008, 06:47:49 PM

I watched the whole thing a while back. The synopsis didn't do it justice. I enjoyed the show.

Fantastic Children is another underrated show you could try if you like this one.
schild
Administrator

Reply #900 on: December 06, 2008, 07:29:56 PM

I have no fucking clue what's going on in Dennou Coil.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #901 on: December 10, 2008, 02:45:06 PM

I have no fucking clue what's going on in Dennou Coil.

I'll save you some time, it starts off amazing, but they never learn or do anything new.  Its like the guy who had the creativity to invent the pilot wasn't allowed to write anything else.  They never learn any new cool tricks/attacks/hacks.  In fact it regresses.  Also it gets slow as fuck and there is some filler.  I forgot why I was watching it.

-William Gibson
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #902 on: December 23, 2008, 10:34:26 AM

So...this is interesting: http://www.funimation.com/video/

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #903 on: December 23, 2008, 07:24:31 PM

So...this is interesting: http://www.funimation.com/video/

I recommend Jyu-Oh-Sei, pretty good show.

-William Gibson
HAMMER FRENZY
Contributor

Reply #904 on: December 30, 2008, 11:33:43 AM

I know it has been stated a couple of times, but Hajime No Ippo is great. All of them are free on youtube and you can grab the series pretty easily via other means. The show starts up again pretty soon as well later next year. The manga is also available in its entirety online. It is like crack for boxing/ fight fans....

My Genesis games... LET ME SHOW YOU THEM!
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #905 on: December 30, 2008, 02:29:34 PM

The winter lineup looks pretty weak. There's some freaky-ass harem anime about girls birthed from soda cans who need carbon dioxide to stay alive, which can only be administered by kissing.

Pretty much the only thing on my radar is the followup to last summer's Slayers Revolution, which is cornily named Slayers Evolution-R, and that's because Slayers gives me warm fuzzy nostalgic feelings. Also, it makes way more sense when drunk.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #906 on: February 03, 2009, 04:38:55 PM

sidereal
Contributor

Reply #907 on: February 03, 2009, 04:45:34 PM

Code Geass is up on Adult Swim and is kind of Awesome.  Except Zero is voiced by the same guy that voices Ichigo in Bleach and I find that distracting.

Also, Death Note.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #908 on: February 04, 2009, 10:35:26 AM

Watching Persona: Trinity Soul its a sort of amateurish hack job but kind of fun.  The persona fights are hard to follow but look decent, sadly the art overall is pretty weaksauce.  Also don't watch the [aniex] fansub version, fucking awful work done by those guys, will never touch another one of their releases.

-William Gibson
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #909 on: February 04, 2009, 02:35:55 PM

Code Geass is up on Adult Swim and is kind of Awesome.

I've watched the first two discs. It manages to be cheesy and awesome, often in the same breath. The root genius is the focus. Imagine if in Gundam, the protagonist had not been Amuro, but the confident, manipulative, revenge-obsessed Char. I was sold when Lelouch spent the first major battle doing nothing but talking on the radio, moving terrorist units around the city like chess pieces and saying little more than "Hmm," when friendly icons disappeared off his board.

This is a mecha protagonist I can get behind. Not a Shinji whiner, not an improbably talented teenage pilot, and not obnoxiously earnest. A mastermind - thoughtful, driven, and with a bit of cruelty to him.

Very much dig so far.

- Henry Cobb
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 59 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations  
Jump to: