Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 01:58:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 59 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anime recommendations  (Read 648382 times)
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #805 on: April 15, 2008, 01:05:32 PM

Best looking anime ever.

http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/1067.html

Anyone know of any others done in this style?

Apparently the guy's name is Takeshi Hashimoto. Mononoke is a spin-off "Ayakashi", another series he's done. I've seen neither, just looked up the clips. He hasn't been the main designer for much else. But I can say that you might like "Gankutsuou" -- I've seen that. It has a very similar style. Check it out (and I guess Ayakashi as well?). It's a 12 episode series based on the Count of Monte Cristo.
Arrrgh
Terracotta Army

Reply #806 on: April 15, 2008, 01:12:31 PM

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Chenghiz
Terracotta Army

Reply #807 on: April 15, 2008, 04:14:13 PM

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #808 on: April 16, 2008, 09:23:39 AM

I dunno Simond, I watched the S-1 Finale, although the carnage was quite flashy I find most of the 'plot' is just barely holding on the thread.
If some of these guys didn't make it, then they just dropped their plot just as it is, and it wouldn't really leave any memory behind. They're barely registering in my plot radar and they suddenly disappeared like that? Oh ok. Fine. I won't miss them. And Graham is so out of character it's puzzling why they timed his entry so late that makes me yell out 'Plot Device Attack!!'

Some definite returns raise some eyebrows, I've got a little mixed feeling. Overall, the plot is still a blur and character introduction never completed at all, if anything they're having such a weird 'Red and Green Ranger' moment in the finale which i didn't find fitting.

Fuck Gundam00, what a stupid show.  For real, maybe I was just a much less discerning viewer but Gundam Seed was 100 times better even ignoring the fucking terrible animation reuse and generally not great combat.  Even ignoring the fact that the pilots were all kids.  Everything in that show felt forced and halfassed and rushed and stupid at the same time.  God I did not enjoy it.  Finished it.  But ugh, for real I think I liked Seed Destiny at least as much and I hated Destiny for having only 3 cool moments and introducing awful mecha design and that fucking prick Shin.

Yay @ the GITS live action, GITS:SAC can't get enough credit for being a cool animated cyberpunk X-files.  This should increase dvd sales.

I haven't watched Mononoke, but it looks like Stray did the back checking I would, I'll ask some experts elsewhere.

On another, I may be back in an anime phase even though Gundam00 disgusted me I'm tearing through Darker than Black, which is fun despite its many flaws and I think I'll watch Baccano! after that.  I'll post my to-watch list and ask for input once I finish those two. 

« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 09:28:02 AM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #809 on: April 19, 2008, 05:25:52 AM

TTGL has a new US publisher (because ADV are going bankrupt restructuring)
Three 9-episode sub-only releases in July/August/September, then a more normal sub/dub release in 2009.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #810 on: April 20, 2008, 09:53:36 PM

macross frontier seems like a rehash again. Kinda like how it works in Gundam Seed, reusing of past plot devices. Quite bored if not for the mecha still retaining its coolness.

Soul Eater is a wacky show, I get irritated knowing I enjoy the art more than the plot, the seiyuus are not a good fit either but I take what I can. Death the kid is one of those  DRILLING AND MANLINESS 'HAHAHAH awesome!' moment in anime.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
schild
Administrator

Reply #811 on: April 20, 2008, 11:39:33 PM

I'm gonna like Soul Eater. But man, the art is AMAZING.

Edit: Also, I like the op/ending. Especially the ending. The opening is VERY Bones meets Nippon Ichi.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 11:41:34 PM by schild »
schild
Administrator

Reply #812 on: April 20, 2008, 11:43:19 PM

OH GOD THERE'S A RESIDENT EVIL ANIME THIS YEAR? FUCK YA.

CG movie. Nevermind. Craptastic.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #813 on: April 21, 2008, 12:28:09 PM

There is a Persona anime though.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #814 on: April 21, 2008, 01:59:15 PM

We watched the Tsubasa/xxxHolic movie over the weekend. I think it's the first timely release we've watched since Zegapain 1.

I'm now quite convinced that Tsubasa is just one long coast on CLAMP nostalgia. The only thing I enjoy is the interaction between Kurogane and Fai. The movie was terrible - a half hour of running, shouting, plot holes, and dangling threads.

xxxHolic, fortunately, was great - a phantomasgorical haunted house story with all manner of fantastic art. It actually managed to make Yuko - who seemed merely obnoxious in the manga - cool and appealing.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #815 on: April 21, 2008, 03:20:33 PM

macross frontier seems like a rehash again. Kinda like how it works in Gundam Seed, reusing of past plot devices. Quite bored if not for the mecha still retaining its coolness.

So far I am enjoying Macross Frontier.  Its gorgeous as all get out, and the characters are quite likable.  Sure its similar to the original, but its been 26 years or so since the original. 
Compared to some of the Gundam rehashes its way different really.

All I know is that its a damned shame itll be consigned to the same void every Macross show is now outside of Japan.  Fansubs, horrible bootlegs, or nothing thanks to multiple legal shenanigans.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #816 on: April 28, 2008, 01:50:00 PM

Baccano! isn't the greatest show ever but it was fun enough that these days I'm willing to recommend it, there hasn't been much worth mentioning lately.  Basically its a omg huge cast story medley focusing around 3 years and a whole host of characters.

The bulk of the story takes place on a transatlantic train in 1931 where everyone is out to or capable of killing everyone else.  Basically the cast is a ton of people related to various mafia groups in various ways.  The crux of the story is that in the 1700's some Alchemist managed to summon a demon that gave him and the entire society he was a part of immortality in exchange for certain things.  Most of the characters wittingly or unwittingly are related to that event as well.

The story doesn't quite feel complete and at times keeping track of everybody is a pain, but it was a fun action show that didn't feel too stupid & I liked most of the cast so I'll give it a recommendation.  If you are looking for faithful mafia portrayal though, stay away, this is not that.

-William Gibson
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #817 on: May 19, 2008, 02:46:03 PM

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #818 on: May 19, 2008, 03:50:15 PM

Does TTGL pick up later in the series?  Off all the glowing praise I've seen here, I've watched the first 5 episodes, and..... I'm not terribly impressed.  Animation is great, but the story is almost nonexistent, and they are concentrating way to much on trying to get every damn Anime cliche in for mockery (I assume/hope).  The net result is.....boring.  Not much interesting or exciting so far.  I'm having a hard time paying attention to the show while watching, and the heavy use of all the anime cliches is really starting to annoy me, since I absolutely hate most of them.

So, does it actually get significantly better any time soon?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #819 on: May 19, 2008, 03:52:52 PM

Persona anime takes place years later, and AFAIK, doesn't involved characters from the game. BOO

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #820 on: May 19, 2008, 07:14:42 PM

OOh.. if only I can remember till July.  Sci Fi is not so promotey of their anime blocks.  And Blackjack too?  Its like a double dose of stuff I want to watch.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #821 on: May 20, 2008, 04:35:45 AM

Does TTGL pick up later in the series?  Off all the glowing praise I've seen here, I've watched the first 5 episodes, and..... I'm not terribly impressed.  Animation is great, but the story is almost nonexistent, and they are concentrating way to much on trying to get every damn Anime cliche in for mockery (I assume/hope).  The net result is.....boring.  Not much interesting or exciting so far.  I'm having a hard time paying attention to the show while watching, and the heavy use of all the anime cliches is really starting to annoy me, since I absolutely hate most of them.

So, does it actually get significantly better any time soon?
You have no soul.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #822 on: May 20, 2008, 12:58:03 PM

It doesn't get super-amazing-awesome until I think ep8 but 8 to the end of the first arc is like the best things can ever be...

I'm watching Ultra Maniac because of Schild, it is a pretty good magical girl show.  Barely started it though.

-William Gibson
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #823 on: May 22, 2008, 12:13:49 PM

Speaking of  DRILLING AND MANLINESS Super Robot Shows: http://www.animeondvd.com/reviews2/disc_reviews/7434.php
Second half of GaoGaiGar is finally getting a DVD release - sub only.

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #824 on: May 22, 2008, 12:27:49 PM

Second half of GaoGaiGar is finally getting a DVD release - sub only.

DRILLING AND MANLINESS I think I hear my wife recoiling in horror from here...

- Henry Cobb
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #825 on: May 26, 2008, 07:56:49 PM

I can now get the series.  36 bucks or so from Amazon for 26 episodes?  ROCK.
3-5 episodes for 25-30 from Amazon?  WILL NOT BUY.

About time companies start realizing we aren't Japan so stop ripping us off.
schild
Administrator

Reply #826 on: May 27, 2008, 12:39:52 PM

Gantz is crazy, but good.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #827 on: May 27, 2008, 06:12:13 PM

I can now get the series.  36 bucks or so from Amazon for 26 episodes?  ROCK.
3-5 episodes for 25-30 from Amazon?  WILL NOT BUY.

About time companies start realizing we aren't Japan so stop ripping us off.

QFT

I will happily pay 30-50 bucks, depending on the series, for an entire series. Or season, if it's a particularly long series. Depends on how much I liked it. None of this $20 for a 4-5 episode DVD nonsense.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #828 on: May 28, 2008, 09:13:20 AM

Gantz is crazy, but good.

Really?  I'll be honest, the green onion monsters were so stupid that I promptly shut it off and never watched again.

I haven't seen anything worth talking about in awhile, but I did buy a stupid-overpriced collectors set of FLCL for like $70 w/ shipping for 6 eps.  I feel good about that.  awesome, for real

-William Gibson
schild
Administrator

Reply #829 on: May 28, 2008, 10:26:26 AM

Everyone buying the current FLCL sets should've bought the original when it came out. They still haven't achieved the same level of awesome as that original collector's box.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #830 on: June 02, 2008, 03:35:47 PM

I found that Soul Eater on my Favorite site, its good fun. Art is amazing.

.......can anyone confirm that there are only 8 episodes?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 03:48:33 PM by Pennilenko »

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #831 on: June 02, 2008, 03:45:18 PM

Everyone buying the current FLCL sets should've bought the original when it came out. They still haven't achieved the same level of awesome as that original collector's box.

Love em!

« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 03:47:27 PM by Pennilenko »

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #832 on: June 02, 2008, 03:46:34 PM

Bones is the only studio who I pretty much check out all their stuff, they really fucking burned me with that Mars Daybreak shit about a stupid submarine.  They are the people who brought RahXephon though and some other top notch titles.  Glad to hear Soul Eater isn't total crap, I wont see any of it until its fully sub'd sometime next year though...  

Still waiting to hear if anyone besides Schild thinks I was overreacting to the Green Onion Monster stupidity in Gantz, though considering Ultra Maniac has proven to be pretty good and got out of its bad slump and is back to being enjoyable in ep15-16 (I almost stopped caring a few eps ago) I may listen to him either way.

@Pennilenko:  There is no way that site isn't illegal, and eastern european, but definitely illegal. PM me a link.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

-William Gibson
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #833 on: June 02, 2008, 04:05:23 PM

Bones is the only studio who I pretty much check out all their stuff, they really fucking burned me with that Mars Daybreak shit about a stupid submarine.  They are the people who brought RahXephon though and some other top notch titles.  Glad to hear Soul Eater isn't total crap, I wont see any of it until its fully sub'd sometime next year though...  

Still waiting to hear if anyone besides Schild thinks I was overreacting to the Green Onion Monster stupidity in Gantz, though considering Ultra Maniac has proven to be pretty good and got out of its bad slump and is back to being enjoyable in ep15-16 (I almost stopped caring a few eps ago) I may listen to him either way.

@Pennilenko:  There is no way that site isn't illegal, and eastern european, but definitely illegal. PM me a link.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Hehe i pay for my bandwidth. Its not my concern if they choooooooose not to share profits with the Copyright holder/s. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

schild
Administrator

Reply #834 on: June 02, 2008, 06:38:38 PM

Ultra Maniac is great!
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #835 on: June 02, 2008, 08:40:34 PM

they really fucking burned me with that Mars Daybreak shit about a stupid submarine.

I didn't mind Mars Daybreak. It was unpretentious fun. There's aren't enough series these days that don't reek of either pretention or fan service.

It wasn't as good as Zone of Enders: Dolores, though. Not by half.

- Henry Cobb
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #836 on: June 02, 2008, 09:40:54 PM

Yeah but look at Bones' resume:

-RahXephon
-Wolf's Rain
-Karau
-Bebop movie
-e7
-Ouran Host Club
-Juuoshi
-Darker then black
-FMA

I mean Angelic Layer was pretty good though too Shoujo for me.  I'll admit that Ayakashi Ayashi was absolute crap, which was very dissapointing.  But the rest of those are great shows with Darker then Black & Scrapped Princess both being pretty junk-food fun but still much better then Mars Daybreak.

-William Gibson
Chenghiz
Terracotta Army

Reply #837 on: June 03, 2008, 06:06:49 PM

Karau
I assume you mean Karasu, since AniDB doesn't show anything named Karau. I'm pretty much a fan of Bones' work too, though. Good writers and good artists, and a healthy dose of Yoko Kanno collaboration.
schild
Administrator

Reply #838 on: June 03, 2008, 08:45:07 PM

Bones is so goddamn hit or miss for me.

Like most studios.
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #839 on: June 03, 2008, 09:10:00 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ16jHTiQMk

Some SA goon made this.  It is awesome. 
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 59 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations  
Jump to: