Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 06:26:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 59 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anime recommendations  (Read 648397 times)
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #700 on: November 29, 2007, 04:25:07 PM

....What?

I just wanted one to do my homework and chores, weirdo.  awesome, for real

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
JoeTF
Terracotta Army

Reply #701 on: November 30, 2007, 02:45:41 PM

You are fucking crazy. Gundam 00 is Gundam Wing Redux.

Gundam 00 ep1 was my intruduction to Gundam series and let's just say that it was very short introduction (wtb AK47-like that can even 6 year old can use without having his ribs ripped from off his chest and sent flying by recoil force, not to mention other retardness that followed shortly after).
Since you seem to be very konwledgabe about entire franchise, maybe you could suggest me a Gundam that isn't shit?

EDIT: I just noticed 00 is best Gundam series for years for Simond. That's the most effective do_not_watch recommendation in the entire world for me:P
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #702 on: November 30, 2007, 02:59:48 PM

Since you seem to be very konwledgabe about entire franchise, maybe you could suggest me a Gundam that isn't shit?

You didn't ask me, but I'd recommend 0080: War in the Pocket. In the closing months of the One Year War, a small Zeon commando unit infiltrates a neutral space colony. Their mission: destroy a prototype Gundam being secretly developed for Amuro Ray (the hero of the original series). Bernie Wiseman, one of the Zeon soldiers, befriends a ten year-old local boy named Al. Al, still naïve enough to play at war in the park, follows the group’s mission to its tragic, inevitable conclusion.

It has all the classic Universal Century themes: good men on both sides killing each other while trying to loyally follow the orders of corrupt and venal superiors, moments of self-doubt, despair, and futile nobility, and the remorseless conviction that in the end, all war does is grind up the innocent and the truly honorable.

What it doesn't have is the hours and hours of dicking around with convoluted politics, characters who appear only to die one ep later, and tedious exposition.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 03:01:45 PM by Stormwaltz »

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #703 on: November 30, 2007, 04:40:44 PM

08th MS Team was awesome until the last handful of episodes with the cliche love-conquers-all bullshit and the most embarrassingly stupid mech design ever. I pretend the ending doesn't exist since it's about the cheesiest ending I've seen in a long time.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #704 on: December 03, 2007, 03:31:48 AM

G Gundam.  awesome, for real

EDIT: I just noticed 00 is best Gundam series for years for Simond. That's the most effective do_not_watch recommendation in the entire world for me:P
It's not my fault you have no taste prefer Real Robots over Super Robots.

And going back to Gundam 00 - at least Setsuna has got some reasons for being the way he is, unlike generic_angsty_teenage_mecha_pilot_47654968.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 03:33:38 AM by Simond »

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #705 on: December 10, 2007, 05:19:40 AM

Incidentally, Gundam 00 episode 10 is making hints towards something about Tieria (the "girlish" meister). If it's heading the way it's looking like it might be heading, anyway.

(Obligatory "Escaflowne did it first!" comment)

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
schild
Administrator

Reply #706 on: December 10, 2007, 05:54:11 AM

Moyashimon is a bundle of weird.
Chenghiz
Terracotta Army

Reply #707 on: December 13, 2007, 02:52:45 PM

cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #708 on: December 13, 2007, 10:38:20 PM

I just happened to wake up and catch about 3/4 an episode of Eureka Seven. What the fuck is the point of this show? It's like a DBZ fight scene, but instead of charging up, they just ask questions all episode. Why am I here?! Nothing makes sense?! Fuck.  swamp poop

Sorry. I just wanted to bitch in a thread where people might half-care.  awesome, for real

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Chenghiz
Terracotta Army

Reply #709 on: December 13, 2007, 11:27:40 PM

I just happened to wake up and catch about 3/4 an episode of Eureka Seven. What the fuck is the point of this show? It's like a DBZ fight scene, but instead of charging up, they just ask questions all episode. Why am I here?! Nothing makes sense?! Fuck.  swamp poop

Sorry. I just wanted to bitch in a thread where people might half-care.  awesome, for real

I really enjoyed the show. It's your typical coming-of-age show with mecha and a mysterious girl only the mecha surf in the sky and it has groovy techno. It does get some flak for getting slow in the middle portion of the series though.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #710 on: December 13, 2007, 11:40:49 PM

I just figured if it is in the 1:00 slot on AS I could expect more. Usually I can catch Bebop, BigO, or Wolf's Rain or something like that. Just really threw me off.

Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #711 on: December 14, 2007, 01:24:02 AM

For whatever reason I have had Adult Swim on at night this week. 
Shin Chan is fucking awesome.  Yes its ugly as sin and the translation is horrible.
But its supposed to be.  Just so much effed up wrongness in every episode!
Totally different from the comics which are mildly amusing (and haven't been around for a couple years now.  Wikipedia KNOWS THINGS..) but not this level of awesome.

Blood Plus looks pretty good too, but I missed the first half and its kind of pointless to watch the rest.  Apparently the original movie its based off of is on Scifi Monday night, so I will DVR it to at least get a nice intro to it all.
Its Wiki page makes me want to use it in my World of Darkness game if I ever start running it again though.  Very cool basic plot and concept.  Although what I have caught of it does have one VERY fucked up bit taking place in the mid point of the show.
I don't think I would use that.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #712 on: December 14, 2007, 01:28:02 AM

I think I've seen that part. And yes, it is pretty jacked up. I rather like Blood+ though. Things like Paranoia Agent and Wolf's Rain didn't get enough airtime for my personal tastes. Things like GitS:2G aren't as good as the other series(es?) AS owns.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #713 on: December 14, 2007, 04:55:06 AM

http://www.raisingkids.co.uk/fea/fea_90_xmas.asp
Kiviak is a gastronomical Christmas treat from Greenland which, for some reason, hasn't been adopted by many other nations. It's made from the raw flesh of an auk which has been buried under a stone in sealskin for several months until it's achieved an advanced stage of decomposition. Apparently, it smells like old blue cheese and tastes very pungent.
ACK!

schild
Administrator

Reply #714 on: December 14, 2007, 06:09:22 AM

Heh, you should see the fermented shark meat that Bourdain ate in Iceland.

Shin Chan is fucking awesome.  Yes its ugly as sin and the translation is horrible.

CRAYON SHIN CHAN? IT'S LOCALIZED? WHUT?
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #715 on: December 14, 2007, 09:34:24 AM

Yeah e7's not bad, its coming of age (yuck) but the magical girl isn't too bad the mechs are fun the techno is a little different and it does have some great storytelling moments.  There are some great feel-good parts if you get into the characters.  But if your too old/cynic/cool to do that, don't bother watching a minute of it.  There are good visuals but its not eye-candy, it has a huge cast and there is lots of talking.  For a show that clocks in at 50eps let alone a 50ep mecha series, damn solid.  They don't reuse a ton (I dont want to say any) of animation and if it weren't for the ending I would probably have it on my to-buy list.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #716 on: December 14, 2007, 02:07:08 PM

CRAYON SHIN CHAN? IT'S LOCALIZED? WHUT?

Yes.  This is the second time Adult Swim has shown episodes.  And the comics have been available for years in a more correct (but not quite as funny) translation.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #717 on: December 26, 2007, 03:56:06 PM

Macross F preview episode/episode 1 = (with a side order of  DRILLING AND MANLINESS)

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #718 on: January 02, 2008, 08:03:11 AM

Winter 2008 previews from Random Curiosity (anime blogger with decent tastes except his strange Code Geass fixation).

Nothing there that really leaps out at me, to be honest. Gunslinger Girl part 2 & the Persona anime, maybe?

Chenghiz
Terracotta Army

Reply #719 on: January 02, 2008, 01:01:46 PM

Macross F preview episode/episode 1 = (with a side order of  DRILLING AND MANLINESS)

Yeah but.. girly man. Why? WHY?
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #720 on: January 02, 2008, 01:11:00 PM

Hm, didn't know this was available...

VOTOMS Pailsen Files, too.

And someone's done a couple episodes of Victory Gundam.

My conscience is clear because thus far, I've purchased legit R1 DVDs of every series I've previewed. Those that get licensed anyway.

Girly man, Chenghiz? Haven't seen it yet, but pehaps in the tradition of Max Jenius?

Tangent: Max was my hero as a kid. Quiet, sensitive, and nerdy, but the best pilot AND he married the hottest woman in all the Macross series. Total wish-fulfillment.

- Henry Cobb
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #721 on: January 02, 2008, 03:46:41 PM

Winter 2008 previews from Random Curiosity (anime blogger with decent tastes except his strange Code Geass fixation).

Nothing there that really leaps out at me, to be honest. Gunslinger Girl part 2 & the Persona anime, maybe?

I was disappointed with the winter lineup until I saw the list for spring. Now I have something to look forward to.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #722 on: January 02, 2008, 04:19:00 PM

Yeah but.. girly man. Why? WHY?
Funniest bit about that was his friends calling him a girlyman, and the love interest doing the same thing.

JoeTF
Terracotta Army

Reply #723 on: January 03, 2008, 05:49:42 AM

I was disappointed with the winter lineup until I saw the list for spring. Now I have something to look forward to.

True dat. I feel so aliented here.

Is there a mecha show that survives collision with basic logic?
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #724 on: January 03, 2008, 06:12:52 AM

No, because Giant Robots are inherently illogical.

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #725 on: January 03, 2008, 10:45:09 AM

I've started watching Blue Drop. I'm fascinated, though I don't understand it. It's two wildly different shows smashed together. On one hand, there's a gently-paced, atmosphere-heavy tale of a orphan girl going to a new school. There's a lot of rain, flowers, and white sea birds flying around.

And then it turns out one of her classmates is the commander of an alien battleship that lurks on the seabed nearby.

Swhat?

Beautiful opening titles, though. It nails the feel of the show.

- Henry Cobb
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #726 on: January 03, 2008, 04:15:50 PM

Man...I don't even know what to watch anymore.

Also, no time.  undecided

Lastly, not too excited about the Persona 3 anime. I would have preferred an animated series based on the game itself.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #727 on: January 04, 2008, 05:32:39 PM

Is there a mecha show that survives collision with basic logic?

Dai-Guard maybe?
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #728 on: January 04, 2008, 09:04:17 PM

Dai-Guard maybe?

That link asks me to DL a perl file.

Dai-Guard is solid 3-star show. On my personal scale, that means not spectacular, but not in any way offensive.

Like Sunrise’s Zone of the Enders, this show is a humble pleasure. Studio Xebec’s production crew has a fine appreciation of just how ridiculous the entire giant robot genre of the 70s and 80s was. And judging by Dai-Guard and Martian Successor Nadesico’s “show within a show” Gekigangar III, they clearly adore its insanities and inanities.

Imagine a retired giant monster-fighting 70's super-robot bought by a security corporation as a promotional tool and tourist attraction. Now imagine the monsters return, forcing the company to rely on the showpiece robot pilots of Public Relations Division 2 to defend Japan. Commentary on corporate culture rarely becomes more wry than when Dai-Guard shows the board of directors frantically processing insurance forms as the city goes up in flames, trying to weasel out of damage liability before they let their giant robot engage the monster.

Dai-Guard is almost entirely devoid of “high concept” – excepting the giant robots and monsters, of course. There is no great overarching plot, pseudo-philosophical BS, nor even an attempt to rationalize the monsters. No, it’s just a backdrop for characters to learn about themselves and each other, and – weirdly enough – find fulfillment in their work. Even the traditional romance arcs are cranked way down, with only hints of relationships beginning at the end of the series.

By way of example, to my mind the outstanding bits show the relationship between Akagi, the prototypical justice-minded hothead robot pilot, and Shirota, the dispassionate military advisor. Initially at loggerheads, each learns to respect the qualities of the other. Watching this odd couple learn to understand each other, and then become more like one another, is delightful.

And really, who can dislike a show whose tagline is, “Even a salaryman can defend the peace?”

- Henry Cobb
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #729 on: January 05, 2008, 09:17:53 AM

That link asks me to DL a perl file.

Link works for me. Check your browser settings.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #730 on: January 05, 2008, 11:14:02 AM

Link works for me. Check your browser settings.

Huh. Working for me too this morning.

- Henry Cobb
Chenghiz
Terracotta Army

Reply #731 on: January 07, 2008, 10:22:16 PM

Okay a few things. First I wish I had watched Haruhi when everyone told me to. Shavnir made me watch it and it's basically awesome after the first few episodes. Second, I've been watching Bokurano and it's pretty amazing considering how it seems to have slipped under the radar. Third watching Macross (the first one) is like having the 80s poured into your eyes... beautiful I like how fully realised the future is. There is also a great deal of comedy in watching the large number of dead people and wanton destruction passed over by the main characters. Supercarrier blows up? Darn. Giant robot plows through four buildings and almost crushes a child? Phew, good thing the pilot's okay!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 12:26:35 PM by Chenghiz »
Arrrgh
Terracotta Army

Reply #732 on: January 08, 2008, 08:36:56 AM

What is Maruhi? Did you typo Haruhi?
Chenghiz
Terracotta Army

Reply #733 on: January 08, 2008, 12:27:01 PM

Yeah I guess from 4 feet away it looked like an H to me.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #734 on: January 09, 2008, 07:32:37 AM

Incidentally, the second annual SaiGar tournament is under way at the moment.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 59 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations  
Jump to: