Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 02:32:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 59 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anime recommendations  (Read 648329 times)
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1610 on: July 09, 2011, 02:36:52 AM

Is that made by the guy who did Utena?
Oh yes.  awesome, for real

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1611 on: July 09, 2011, 06:24:35 AM

I think he's found some stronger drugs.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1612 on: July 18, 2011, 03:27:57 PM

I don't watch too much anime, but since it was zombie related I ended up watching High School of the Dead.  I think it's pretty  awesome, for real myself.   

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1613 on: July 24, 2011, 12:13:52 PM

I don't watch too much anime, but since it was zombie related I ended up watching High School of the Dead.  I think it's pretty  awesome, for real myself.   

Yeah if they let that guy do character designs for any more shows I know I'll be watching them.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1614 on: August 01, 2011, 01:17:57 PM

Mawaru Penguindrum ep.4 report - delusional stalker girl, cut down on your daily "Rose of Versailles" intake. It's for your own good. (Didn't help that teacher kept looking more like Akio in every fantasy scene).

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1615 on: August 12, 2011, 12:45:05 PM

From Otakon:
 evil
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 05:08:45 PM by Simond »

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1616 on: August 12, 2011, 01:36:08 PM

My god, it's full of spoilers.

Also: "I wish I could ride a narwhal naked whilst holding a dildo."  ACK!

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1617 on: September 24, 2011, 02:15:15 AM

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1618 on: October 29, 2011, 05:31:09 AM

Update!

Penguindrum's pacing is very Utena-like...it spends a good half-dozen or more relatively light-hearted 'wacky hijinx' episodes setting everything up, and then makes a hard left turn into  ACK!-ville. And then still throws in random silliness (usually just before swerving back into  ACK! mode. Mood whiplash, thy name is Ikuhara).

Oh, and the Yume Nikki series is so much better than the OVA it's not even funny. Hated the OVA? Give the series a go. Liked the OVA? 1) Seek help. 2) You'll like the series even more.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1619 on: October 29, 2011, 03:26:02 PM

Any idea if there going to make a 'Birdy the Mighty: Decode' season 3?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #1620 on: November 29, 2011, 03:31:48 PM

I'm up to episode 10 in Angel Beats. I'm impressed so far. And I might have cried.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 03:36:19 PM by Furiously »

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #1621 on: November 29, 2011, 04:30:14 PM

I'm up to episode 10 in Angel Beats. I'm impressed so far. And I might have cried.

It is a series with an uncanny ability to make you teary one second and laugh your ass off the next. Good luck fighting back those tears at the ending
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #1622 on: December 10, 2011, 02:21:40 PM

Watched Eureka Seven and wasn't that impressed.

Also took in magical shopping arcade abenobashi. The number of references was staggering was worth it for starblazers, jaws and back to the future. Not sure what the ending was supposed to mean.. I'll just chalk it up to Japan and Gainax being Gainax.

Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #1623 on: December 11, 2011, 10:06:20 AM

Has the last five years or so seen any quality space opera style anime? I've been out of sync with what's airing for years, but am curious if there's any quality stuff in that sub genre that's turned up in recent years.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1624 on: December 11, 2011, 01:03:25 PM

Has the last five years or so seen any quality space opera style anime? I've been out of sync with what's airing for years, but am curious if there's any quality stuff in that sub genre that's turned up in recent years.

Quality? Not that I know of. Gonzo crapped out a series called Glass Fleet back in '06.

- Henry Cobb
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #1625 on: December 12, 2011, 12:20:06 AM

Update!

Penguindrum's pacing is very Utena-like...it spends a good half-dozen or more relatively light-hearted 'wacky hijinx' episodes setting everything up, and then makes a hard left turn into  ACK!-ville. And then still throws in random silliness (usually just before swerving back into  ACK! mode. Mood whiplash, thy name is Ikuhara).

Had to check this out, since I really enjoyed the giant pile of bizarre that was Utena. 

I dunno about "relatively" light-hearted, given that in the first episode .

Definitely reminds me a lot of Utena, especially the extremely strange sequence near the end of ep1.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1626 on: January 01, 2012, 08:30:38 AM

http://randomc.net/2011/12/26/winter-2012-preview/
Bleah. At least Penguindrum was amazing.

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1627 on: January 02, 2012, 10:34:37 PM

I will give Mouretsu Pirates a try.

The trailer shows the ship maneuvering using reaction control thrusters, which places the series above Mass Effect's cutscenes in terms of realism.

- Henry Cobb
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1628 on: February 01, 2012, 12:13:42 AM

- Henry Cobb
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1629 on: February 04, 2012, 09:17:40 PM

I picked up Redline on BluRay.

A fun watch but it feels like it was supposed to be like 30-minutes to an hour longer; prolly because it missed multiple deadlines and went overbudget I hear. Don't get pulled in by any overarching plotlines because half of them get thrown out the window and the ending is pretty abrupt, just enjoy the crazy shit and good animation.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1630 on: February 09, 2012, 10:53:16 PM

Started watching Another which is new this season. It's a very creepy horror anime; the first few episodes were slow but it builds up really well and shit starts to hit the fan by episode 3. Anyone else watching this?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #1631 on: February 10, 2012, 07:35:19 AM

I watched the first episode.  I plan to catch up this weekend.  It's one of the few I'm interested in this season.  Or the last few seasons.  Anime is in a rut lately.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1632 on: February 10, 2012, 10:52:01 AM

It gets good. My only complaint with it is that they like to reveal things to the viewer before they reveal them to the main character, but that's always been a pet peeve of mine.

Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #1633 on: February 10, 2012, 05:08:17 PM

Started watching Another which is new this season. It's a very creepy horror anime; the first few episodes were slow but it builds up really well and shit starts to hit the fan by episode 3. Anyone else watching this?

I see what you mean about ep 3.  If I remember, it was ep 3 in Madoka when "shit got real" too.  Still have 2 more eps to catch up on.  The only thing I don't like is the cliche hesitant oft-surprised protagonist.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1634 on: February 19, 2012, 12:27:16 PM

I will give Mouretsu Pirates a try.

The trailer shows the ship maneuvering using reaction control thrusters, which places the series above Mass Effect's cutscenes in terms of realism.

And it even (mostly) fits their personalities.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #1635 on: March 18, 2014, 02:31:51 AM

Not sure if i should post this here, or in the Computer help thread, but I recently updated Firefox to version 11, and now www.animeseason.com (which i have been using to stream some shows like Mouretsu Pirates) is completely borked.  The page worked fine in my old version of Firefox (a 3.6 release i believe), but it is completely hosed when FF 11 tries to render the page.  Page works fine in the latest version of IE as well.  No idea what gives.

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 02:33:28 AM by SurfD »

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1636 on: March 18, 2014, 02:56:00 AM

Not sure if i should post this here, or in the Computer help thread, but I recently updated Firefox to version 11, and now www.animeseason.com (which i have been using to stream some shows like Mouretsu Pirates) is completely borked.  The page worked fine in my old version of Firefox (a 3.6 release i believe), but it is completely hosed when FF 11 tries to render the page.  Page works fine in the latest version of IE as well.  No idea what gives.

Any thoughts?

Chrome gives me a big fat "THERE BE MALWARE HERE! YOU SHALL NOT PASS unless you really want to..." error message when I hit that site.   Ohhhhh, I see.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #1637 on: March 18, 2014, 05:05:50 AM

Any thoughts?

Chrome gives me a big fat "THERE BE MALWARE HERE! YOU SHALL NOT PASS unless you really want to..." error message when I hit that site.   Ohhhhh, I see.
Yeah, i got that too, checking the info on that seemed to indicate that the site might have been flagged as having compromised adds or soemthing on it a few months ago.  I run with No-Script installed though, so I generally dont worry about that.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1638 on: April 10, 2012, 01:34:42 PM

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1639 on: April 10, 2012, 07:24:26 PM

Not sure if i should post this here, or in the Computer help thread, but I recently updated Firefox to version 11, and now www.animeseason.com (which i have been using to stream some shows like Mouretsu Pirates) is completely borked.  The page worked fine in my old version of Firefox (a 3.6 release i believe), but it is completely hosed when FF 11 tries to render the page.  Page works fine in the latest version of IE as well.  No idea what gives.

Any thoughts?

Yeah, i got that too, checking the info on that seemed to indicate that the site might have been flagged as having compromised adds or soemthing on it a few months ago.  I run with No-Script installed though, so I generally dont worry about that.
I can't tell if this is current (since the post date is from 2014) but the page you linked loaded fine for me, once I allowed it with NoScript.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #1640 on: April 10, 2012, 11:33:21 PM

Not sure if i should post this here, or in the Computer help thread, but I recently updated Firefox to version 11, and now www.animeseason.com (which i have been using to stream some shows like Mouretsu Pirates) is completely borked.  The page worked fine in my old version of Firefox (a 3.6 release i believe), but it is completely hosed when FF 11 tries to render the page.  Page works fine in the latest version of IE as well.  No idea what gives.

Any thoughts?

I can't tell if this is current (since the post date is from 2014) but the page you linked loaded fine for me, once I allowed it with NoScript.
Yeah, About a week after I noticed the page go all crazy it fixed itself. No real idea what was up with that.

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1641 on: April 11, 2012, 10:38:36 AM

I suppose all the hardcore anime fans left Edmonton before they could be post a warning not to let a grade-C animation studio work on their flagship franchises.

- Henry Cobb
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1642 on: April 11, 2012, 01:15:30 PM

I'd never even heard of the production company until I googled them. The only thing on their Wiki page that I recognize is Baka Test.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1643 on: April 12, 2012, 11:07:06 AM

Straight Jacket was the coolest visually of this list. But neither it nor Freezing nor Baka Test (though I did enjoy Baka Test) were high quality.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1644 on: October 16, 2012, 02:29:30 PM

Since it doesn't appear to have been mentioned here, I found Steins;Gate a good enough anime that the thread deserves a necro. It's basically Welcome to the NHK meets Back to the Future; the main character is a self-proclaimed mad scientist who's trying to invent a time machine. Has anyone else seen it?

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 59 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations  
Jump to: