Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 04:52:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 59 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anime recommendations  (Read 652945 times)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1260 on: July 24, 2009, 05:51:27 PM

I'll laugh when the ninth ep is titled the same.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #1261 on: July 25, 2009, 12:15:28 AM

Ok - I just bought season one of Black Lagoon. It definitely got better as it went on. Remmy is a bit of a caricature but the rest of the characters are pretty good and interesting.

I liked the last episode of the season the best with the drug addled driver and the racist remarks flowing from one character to the other. I felt like it was Gran Tarino all over again.

Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #1262 on: July 25, 2009, 02:06:26 AM

The best episodes are in season 2 (in my opinion) with the fucked up twins.  I can't say anymore without ruining it.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #1263 on: July 25, 2009, 07:42:52 AM

Hey, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 is pretty sweet. Unlike Canaan, which was painfully boring and apparently designed by a committee fueled by liquid cliche.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1264 on: July 25, 2009, 11:27:32 AM

The best episodes are in season 2 (in my opinion) with the fucked up twins.  I can't say anymore without ruining it.

It gets even better in season 2, the only legitimate complaint people can have is they focus much of it on just Rock and Revy but the episodes with Chan Dutch and Benny are golden.  I'll be sad as fuck if there is never a 3rd season though I think I remember rumors that one was in the works some time ago when I followed that sort of thing.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #1265 on: July 25, 2009, 01:28:14 PM

Yeah, there's a season 3 in the works but it will be OVA and rumor has it not until 2010 mid to late.  Which sucks.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #1266 on: July 25, 2009, 02:34:01 PM

I wonder if this is a good place to ask. In the late 90s I saw an anime (OVA? Series?), the identity of which has been periodically puzzling me ever since I remembered it again a couple of years ago.

It's a sci-fi anime, set in a dystopian future city, involving dimensional and/or time travel. I think the protagonist was a woman.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #1267 on: July 25, 2009, 04:05:03 PM

I'm afraid that's a little too vague for me to go on chief

I'll take a few stabs in the dark though,
Bubblegum Crisis?  Serial Experiment Lain?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 04:16:37 PM by Bzalthek »

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #1268 on: July 25, 2009, 05:06:52 PM

Naw, I saw it in 97 or 98. I'll probably never know, but at least my search brings up other interesting stuff: Demon City Shinjuku, Cyber City Oedo 808, Doomed Megalopolis.

Edit: maybe it was Silent Mobius! Oh man, I got a lot of watching to do.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 05:28:35 PM by jakonovski »
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #1269 on: July 26, 2009, 01:41:56 AM

Huh, saw Marvel licensed Animation work. On top of the recently announced Halo : Legends, we're going to see Ironman and Wolverine Anime in 2010 . Seen the trailer on youtube, Ironman looks sharp. Wolverine, not so much. swamp poop

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/07/26/iron-man-wolverine-anime-trailers-impress/

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #1270 on: July 26, 2009, 01:48:51 AM

Wow, that Wolverine was really fucking pathetic.  They turned Logan into some emo goth ninja lanky fuck.

But yes, Iron Man was pretty tight.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 01:51:21 AM by Bzalthek »

schild
Administrator

Reply #1271 on: July 26, 2009, 02:46:11 AM

I was about to say after watching the Iron Man one "Yea that's cuz the Iron Man one is made by MADHOUSE." But then I watched the wolverine one and was like 'wtf b-team.'

And then I stopped caring because Wolverine is stupid and RDJ isn't in Iron Man.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1272 on: July 26, 2009, 09:09:09 AM

It might be worth mentioning for our viewers at home work that some of the side-bar stuff on that site is NSFW.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #1273 on: July 26, 2009, 09:33:11 AM

It might be worth mentioning for our viewers at home work that some of the side-bar stuff on that site is NSFW.

I must go...ascertain the truthfulness of these allegations. Thoroughly.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1274 on: July 30, 2009, 01:07:01 PM

I'll laugh when the ninth ep is titled the same.
From today's ep (eighth of the season, seventh named 'Endless Eight')

why so serious?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1275 on: July 30, 2009, 06:08:02 PM

Gotta love a shitty experiment played on the viewers.

Its Where's Waldo meets Groundhog Day.

Which equals a shit ton of lost viewers.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1276 on: August 02, 2009, 01:33:59 PM

I never heard of X (tv series) until recently, but it's pretty good! I think your typical shonen stuff would play out this well if they limited it to 20ish episodes.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1277 on: August 06, 2009, 02:16:35 PM

Kyon-kun, denwa~  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The loop ended this week, though. Or, well, it should have done - ask again next week to make sure

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1278 on: August 10, 2009, 08:53:20 PM

Damn Claymore is better than I thought it'd be. Hope it holds up..  (it really got good once it flashbacked to the backstory with the character Theresa).
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #1279 on: August 10, 2009, 10:45:42 PM

Claymore is hot shit, yes.  Even with the drastic departure from the manga towards the end (it was damn near picture perfect before that), it still holds up as hot shit.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1280 on: August 11, 2009, 03:08:44 AM

Not that the story is the same (because it's pretty original for a fighting series), but it just sort of reminds me of Ninja Scroll. One of the closest I've seen come to it in quality (and brutality), not to mention accomplising that without being close to a knockoff. I get the impression though that it's sort of fallen under the radar.. ?
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #1281 on: August 11, 2009, 06:56:14 AM

Claymore is Berserk with less exposed tits.  Heartbreak
Angel Densetsu was pretty good, though.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1282 on: August 12, 2009, 10:30:11 PM

Suzuka..

I can't believe I sat through all 26 eps, but it was streaming on Hulu so I decided to have it play in the background. By the 25th episode, I was expecting the guy to commit suicide. Such a brutal series for something that falls under the slice of life category (and not even a wacky slice of life series.. this might be the most mundane one I've ever seen). Then in the 26th episode, it redeems itself, and I'm like "Oh... "

But goddamn. No one deserves this kind of punishment.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #1283 on: August 14, 2009, 08:55:48 PM

I haven't followed Masked Rider series for a while since they went full-retard mode after Kabuto ended. But recently I've heard of 'Masked Rider Decade'. My god. This is 'Rider Crisis in Infinite Earths'. Commemorating 10 years worth of production, they decided to create a new one, Decade, and made him revisit the previous 9 incarnations (Yes, 9 Years of Riders!). That's just like The Brave and the Bold Batman visiting Adam West's Universe! Pure  DRILLING AND MANLINESS . The first episode is absolute fan service, the only bad thing about it is that they can't get the original actors to play the older riders (It's been 10 years lolz) and changes to the 'alternate universes', but other than that: Absolute Must-get for Rider fans.

TV Nihon has subs up.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1284 on: August 14, 2009, 10:25:20 PM

I drift in and out of watching anime every couple of years. Caught The Sky Crawlers (love oshii's films), my god the character art , scenes, and not to mention the whole attention to detail on the aircraft. Dear god the audio quality with the supercharger whine of "The Teachers" J5. The loving detail to the aircraft designs bring back such good memories of the wings of honneamise.

There's so much symbolism going on in the diner its unreal down to the man sitting on the steps. Black panther racing indeed!
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #1285 on: August 21, 2009, 11:15:20 AM

I haven't followed Masked Rider series for a while since they went full-retard mode after Kabuto ended. But recently I've heard of 'Masked Rider Decade'. My god. This is 'Rider Crisis in Infinite Earths'. Commemorating 10 years worth of production, they decided to create a new one, Decade, and made him revisit the previous 9 incarnations (Yes, 9 Years of Riders!). That's just like The Brave and the Bold Batman visiting Adam West's Universe! Pure  DRILLING AND MANLINESS . The first episode is absolute fan service, the only bad thing about it is that they can't get the original actors to play the older riders (It's been 10 years lolz) and changes to the 'alternate universes', but other than that: Absolute Must-get for Rider fans.

TV Nihon has subs up.

Decade is great if you just take it as the creators having a lot of fun with the whole Kamen Rider concept.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1286 on: August 23, 2009, 12:01:05 PM

Sword of the Stranger... pretty good film if you want a quick dose of action. Not really much meat to the plot, and the characters aren't particularly memorable... but they're not horrible either. The action on the other hand is superb.. top notch.. and the music is quite good. These alone can still probably keep your interest.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1287 on: August 28, 2009, 06:28:07 AM

Is it me, or is Nana like the best slice of life anime ever? A part of me feels bad, because I think it's audience is women. Not me.  why so serious? But it's really well done, I think.

I've seen the first (live action) movie, but the anime is tons better.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #1288 on: August 28, 2009, 07:47:29 AM

I loved Nana.

There are actually a lot of chick-flick anime that I enjoy. 

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1289 on: August 28, 2009, 08:09:58 AM

Haven't had a chance to see the anime, but Jamie and I are both addicted to the manga.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1290 on: August 28, 2009, 10:51:42 AM

Well they put money into it. The animation is well done. Not sure how accurate it is storywise as I've never read the manga, but it's extensive in it's own right (I think 40 something episodes).
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #1291 on: August 28, 2009, 07:57:37 PM

schild
Administrator

Reply #1292 on: August 29, 2009, 03:15:08 PM

Is it me, or is Nana like the best slice of life anime ever? A part of me feels bad, because I think it's audience is women. Not me.  why so serious? But it's really well done, I think.
I would buy the limited editions of any version of Yotsuba that came out on DVD, or even better, blu-ray. It's pretty much the best kid's view of things ever. Also, very slice of life, though wacky at times. Of course, it's only a manga right now.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1293 on: August 30, 2009, 02:24:00 AM

Started watching Umineko no Naku Koro ni today; it's pretty interesting. A murder mystery with some supernatural elements, by 07th Expansion (and thus, prone to spats of ultraviolence). I'm only on the fourth episode, but given the way they are numbered (1-1, 1-2, etc), I'm expecting them to restart the story several times like Higurashi did. It worked pretty well there, as an adaptation of a visual novel.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1294 on: August 30, 2009, 02:02:03 PM

Ah yeah..

Well I hope they make more. Reminds me of Great Teacher Onizuka ending somewhere along the 40 something mark too, and leaving me hanging. :\
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 59 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations  
Jump to: