Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 07:22:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: War 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 233 Go Down Print
Author Topic: War  (Read 1969424 times)
setar
Terracotta Army

Reply #6125 on: September 30, 2009, 08:36:44 AM

Thanks, I indeed only caught one of those reports. Don't think we've found an effective way to handle well-led bomber squads yet, but it's amazing how much you can stall a larger force that hasn't adapted to their presence yet.

EVE - Yalson [BDCI] [-A-]
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #6126 on: September 30, 2009, 09:26:57 AM

Endie, I wasn't actually trolling GS -- with the exception of RA most of those incidents are NC-related and not really GS's problem. I'd be hard pressed to explain why the CO2 reset was the fault of GS, for example. Likewise for TNT.

BRICK was an omission, but the linked battle report should make it obvious that there was heavy GS involvement. Twice the number of ships lost in the AAA/Atlas - GS skirmish means I must have been looking at a subset of the battle report. Not that it matters, but are you sure those were all battleships? If so, yikes.

As for RA I'm actually merely probing. Last time the general theme was that while they might have changed they are still the good russians not bought out by aluminium tycoons and deserve help which they arguably received. Question simply is whether this is still true, or whether it's going to tilt towards 'this is no longer the RA who fought with us' side.

Trolling or not, I *like* what is currently happening. Lots of wars at a smaller scale, and I didn't expect to see those before Dominion.

I've not picked up any shift on the RA issue.  GF is a lot more sceptical of friend-worship post-AAA reset, it's true, but people rush to eulogise RA, Rebellion and xDeathx achievements and are a bit too forgiving of their flaws.  A split would have been more likely if we were still stuck in the east within harrassment range of Ultima Ratio.  Whether we will maintain a semi-permanent presence over there as we did with the GFFL in the run-up to Dominion I just don't know.  But Mister Vee is very keen still to do so and the successes he is having are certainly still getting goons involved.

You're right that I was talking about all subcaps in the Goons vs AAA/Atlas skirmishes, but the BS kills were still a good 60%+ higher, as Sir T points out, even just counting the big ones.  We've also been getting things like the odd jump freighter kill, too.

Here's a genuine, non-trolling question: given that with the departure of the NC, PL and Goon fleets AAA and Atlas plus allies are now massively outnumbering RA and xDeathx in that theatre.  Is there any cognitive dissonance about the anti-blobbing rhetoric of past months or is it just a case of "sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander"?  Just about every war in the current version of Eve features a large disparity in numbers (one reason I hope Dominion is extremely radical), so I really don't care about this.  But it's been quite a refrain, so I'm intrigued how it is seen culturally now the boot is on the other foot.  I did see one AAA member ruefully joking about it, but I forget where.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
trevorreznik
Terracotta Army

Reply #6127 on: September 30, 2009, 03:03:52 PM

Bombers look pretty fun right now, looks like it's finally doable for a dozen or so people playing in their enemy's primetime to have a pretty big impact.

On another note, how the hell does atlas have 6 titans?

I suspect that their trawl of the GBC, IRON et al after various blocs collapsed netted them a few.  I'm more surprised that they don't have more.  ZAF by themselves have a dozen titans.

A dozen?  So there's what, 250+ now in game at a guess based on that?  Good thing they're being 'fixed.'

Thanks, I indeed only caught one of those reports. Don't think we've found an effective way to handle well-led bomber squads yet, but it's amazing how much you can stall a larger force that hasn't adapted to their presence yet.

I'm still not totally clear how this is happening but it's been a long time since I've played eve or done pos shooting.   Bombs take 15 seconds to fly, right?  So unless dictors are bubbling you, can't BSes just warp out each time a bomber wave comes in?  I do realize that you'd end up not killing much of anything but with sufficient covops you could bounce between them and keep sniping at the jammer pretty effectively. 

In all honesty, a group of 20 players in dictors with a few gunners and covops could stop jammer shoots over the last few years, it's just that no one bothered to do or coordinate it most of the time.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 03:09:49 PM by trevorreznik »
setar
Terracotta Army

Reply #6128 on: October 01, 2009, 08:15:36 AM

Endie, my guess is people will always find reasons and justifcations to 'outblob' the other side. For RA the argument might be similar to the one used vs BOB, i.e. to finally close this chapter. I don't see -A- resetting Atlas or the Stain-residents anytime soon, although I'd not be surprised if smaller PVP-entities like the Initiative decided to reset us for some mutual shooting.

All of that is moot though if a large scale fight happens. There will be temp blues (on both sides, I guess) to get in on capital fights, and if an attack turns into an invasion I am sure Atlas would be there to help -A- even after a reset, just as I'd expect PL to show up to support GS in Delve if needed. Executive summary: no, don't expect us to be any better in the do-not-blob department, really.

Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #6129 on: October 01, 2009, 09:28:43 AM

No, I fully understand the perfectly sensible rationale for bringing more numbers to the fight than the other guy.  I was more wondering how that affected those who have been most vocal about the opposition's "lack of skill and need to bring more numbers" etc...  In GF, we've had times when we needed Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact-esque turnarounds in rhetoric (a good example that you're well aware of was when be set MC blue), and it usually lead to internal trolling of those most associated with the old rhetoric who are now adopting the new one.  Our Blaster Worms, you might say (I know he's now a ROL member).

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
rand
Terracotta Army

Reply #6130 on: October 01, 2009, 09:31:28 AM

we had a window of opportunity where nc/pl/mt/us were all in the area and could've provoked a fight with atlas by hitting a station system or something but everyone whined about blueballs and went home, Atlas won the south
setar
Terracotta Army

Reply #6131 on: October 01, 2009, 09:36:28 AM

I think those vocal folks are now in PL. In all seriousness, there are a fair number of folks who feel we have entirely too many blues, but as long as we do not end up in constant battles with 600 folks per side in system it hasn't become an issue just yet. Or if it is it's at least not being openly raised.

Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #6132 on: October 05, 2009, 02:29:35 AM

Molle and his IT Alliance went around reinforcing no fewer than seven lowsec and 0.0 moons, belonging to the Northern Coalition and Pandemic Legion, at the start of the weekend.  Obviously, his ambitions to claim space in 0.0 require rather more cash than selling off old gifts from Aurora and the ISD can fund, so this is the second attempt he's made to sieze R64 moons over the last month.

The moons came out over several hours throughout the course of Sunday night and Monday morning.  Needless to say, IT Alliance got run out of town after receiving a darn good thrashing at the hands of the NC/GS Euro TZ.  They decided not not make a play for the later moons, which suggests that they still need to grow even more in order to challenge in that timezone.

I'm having trouble working out what their goal will be come November.  Perhaps they hope that AAA/Atlas/Stainwagon can take on Goonswarm/Zaf/Rebellion while they occupy the Northern Coalition, but everything so far suggests that they could at best pester the North or PL, but that one of those two would be free to act as a reserve.  It's quite a strategic challenge for a Swede with a virtually unbroken record of failure stretching back almost four years.

Twitter - Endieposts

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #6133 on: October 05, 2009, 09:48:29 AM

And the sad thing is they got the Klingon Empire ( Facepalm ) to distract the Goons by camping NOL, in order to delay the goons and ensure victory. What happened was that the Klingons got spanked in a decidadly Ferangi fashion, though goons were delayed somewhat.

Atlas allaince did take the oppritunity to down the jammer in 3ae (while the 20 goons they are terrified of would be away) as part of their campagn against the red alliance. The towers come out wensday right after DT.

Hic sunt dracones.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #6134 on: October 06, 2009, 02:04:44 PM

Well it was this morning. I cant do math.

Atlas basically shoved their entire alliance into the system and sat them there, rather than have to knock out the jammer under bomber fire. Needless to say every tower was destroyed and the system is lost. Despite Atlas doing stupid shit like warping Titans on to bubbles at gates and then warping all their carriers into the same bubbles in a panic.

vOv

Hic sunt dracones.
Darius JOHNSON
Terracotta Army

Reply #6135 on: October 08, 2009, 10:51:07 PM

Molle and his IT Alliance went around reinforcing no fewer than seven lowsec and 0.0 moons, belonging to the Northern Coalition and Pandemic Legion, at the start of the weekend.  Obviously, his ambitions to claim space in 0.0 require rather more cash than selling off old gifts from Aurora and the ISD can fund, so this is the second attempt he's made to sieze R64 moons over the last month.

The moons came out over several hours throughout the course of Sunday night and Monday morning.  Needless to say, IT Alliance got run out of town after receiving a darn good thrashing at the hands of the NC/GS Euro TZ.  They decided not not make a play for the later moons, which suggests that they still need to grow even more in order to challenge in that timezone.

I'm having trouble working out what their goal will be come November.  Perhaps they hope that AAA/Atlas/Stainwagon can take on Goonswarm/Zaf/Rebellion while they occupy the Northern Coalition, but everything so far suggests that they could at best pester the North or PL, but that one of those two would be free to act as a reserve.  It's quite a strategic challenge for a Swede with a virtually unbroken record of failure stretching back almost four years.

IT couldn't occupy any single major alliance you've listed on their own. They can't afford to lose a single capfleet and there's nothing immediately distracting they could really do without it. Esp. given the fact that they can actually be bubbled or dd'd in 0.0.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #6136 on: October 09, 2009, 04:15:04 AM

Molle and his IT Alliance went around reinforcing no fewer than seven lowsec and 0.0 moons, belonging to the Northern Coalition and Pandemic Legion, at the start of the weekend.  Obviously, his ambitions to claim space in 0.0 require rather more cash than selling off old gifts from Aurora and the ISD can fund, so this is the second attempt he's made to sieze R64 moons over the last month.

The moons came out over several hours throughout the course of Sunday night and Monday morning.  Needless to say, IT Alliance got run out of town after receiving a darn good thrashing at the hands of the NC/GS Euro TZ.  They decided not not make a play for the later moons, which suggests that they still need to grow even more in order to challenge in that timezone.

I'm having trouble working out what their goal will be come November.  Perhaps they hope that AAA/Atlas/Stainwagon can take on Goonswarm/Zaf/Rebellion while they occupy the Northern Coalition, but everything so far suggests that they could at best pester the North or PL, but that one of those two would be free to act as a reserve.  It's quite a strategic challenge for a Swede with a virtually unbroken record of failure stretching back almost four years.

IT couldn't occupy any single major alliance you've listed on their own. They can't afford to lose a single capfleet and there's nothing immediately distracting they could really do without it. Esp. given the fact that they can actually be bubbled or dd'd in 0.0.

Yeah, that's why I said "pester" and "come November".  We've yet to see the station-taking mechanic, and the sov-taking seems pretty easy to cockblock with three minutes of dominance over a 36-hour period, but there is always the chance that there may be a degree to which people just can't project force across half the galaxy for long if even a medium-sized force is shooting their shit at home.

PS I hope you're posting from a motel you reckless babykiller.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 04:24:47 AM by Endie »

Twitter - Endieposts

Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #6137 on: October 10, 2009, 04:22:25 PM

And Kenny dies quietly, unannounced. Kenzuko is no more.

Name     KenZoku
Ticker    RKZ
Members    0
Corporations    0

I dunno, I think Kenny is a better name than IT.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #6138 on: October 10, 2009, 04:36:21 PM

Not with a bang but with a whimper.

Twitter - Endieposts

Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #6139 on: October 11, 2009, 02:28:53 PM

Not a faked killmail: http://killboard.goonfleet.com/km/411460

Also, we accepted the Free Space Banderlogs or whoever they are from RA.  Alongside OEG and Rebellion I suppose it toughens up our Russian TZ a bit more for the inevitable assault on us.  I know what they used to be like, but that was about 18 months ago now at the most recent.

Twitter - Endieposts

setar
Terracotta Army

Reply #6140 on: October 11, 2009, 07:57:20 PM

RA seems to be moving out, destination unknown (SHC is speculating about Curse for now). That, and the NC is trying to broker a deal with evoke. Not sure I'd have Mynas handle this given the MC/evoke tensions in Tortuga ;-)

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #6141 on: October 11, 2009, 08:16:13 PM

You guys fought AAA and seem to be getting along alright, so who knows?
setar
Terracotta Army

Reply #6142 on: October 11, 2009, 08:44:04 PM

I take it you never had the pleasure of negotiating with Mynas smiley

Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #6143 on: October 11, 2009, 08:49:56 PM

That, and the NC is trying to broker a deal with evoke.

Giving Cloud Ring to the moon mineral exploiters? Probably a bad idea.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #6144 on: October 13, 2009, 06:32:48 AM

That, and the NC is trying to broker a deal with evoke.

Giving Cloud Ring to the moon mineral exploiters? Probably a bad idea.

Evoke was the fall guy for CCP in that. It was pretty widespread beyond that.

Anyway I have to say, bieng fair, that RAs defence was pretty painful to watch. Good to see the last of the old RA corps in Goonswarm.

Hic sunt dracones.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #6145 on: October 13, 2009, 06:46:14 AM

So is RA finally dead?

Like, real dead?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #6146 on: October 13, 2009, 06:58:30 AM

It still exists and they still have a constelation in the drones. C-J has fallen as of yesterday however.

Hic sunt dracones.
setar
Terracotta Army

Reply #6147 on: October 13, 2009, 06:59:41 AM

Evoke was the fall guy for CCP in that. It was pretty widespread beyond that.

Absolutely agreed, don't think we ever got more than a glimpse of the real story. Still, I was chuckling when it surfaced -- one of evoke's main arguments against Tortuga was that everyone was interested in ISK, i.e., who gets access to what PB region and moons, unlike them who were not interested in mundane, greedy negotiations. Given their income base there probably wasn't any need to.

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #6148 on: October 13, 2009, 07:14:33 AM

They may well have been the fall guys for the Ferrogel exploit however they were still as guilty as hell. They even said so publicly after all the bans went down. As I understand it a lot of other corps and individuals in other alliances also got whacked but Ev0ke were the [only|loudest] ones to go public about it.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
trevorreznik
Terracotta Army

Reply #6149 on: October 13, 2009, 04:27:07 PM

It still exists and they still have a constelation in the drones. C-J has fallen as of yesterday however.

Jesus, so the two most historically major/important/whatever alliances of EVE both died within 6 or so months of each other?  And both with a whimper, not a bang?  Pretty surprising.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #6150 on: October 13, 2009, 05:31:48 PM

Jesus, so the two most historically major/important/whatever alliances of EVE both died within 6 or so months of each other?  And both with a whimper, not a bang?  Pretty surprising.

Two of the three most historically major/important/whatever.  The third is still alive. See what I did there?

Twitter - Endieposts

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #6151 on: October 13, 2009, 05:37:39 PM

Yeah, but Trevor probably didn't want to pat himself on the back about -A-.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #6152 on: October 13, 2009, 05:55:09 PM

Of the powers that defined the origins of the Great War (LV, BoB, D2, RA), it seems that none of them survive.  Goons were still riding the RA coat-tails at that point (lots of numbers but no fleet doctrine and no capfleet).

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #6153 on: October 13, 2009, 06:07:51 PM

What was the Order of death? D2, LV, BoB then now RA?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #6154 on: October 13, 2009, 08:06:29 PM

LV, then D2.  LV lost their first titan when Chowdown was outed as a dev, and their second during construction, after that they kind of collapsed.  D2 got rolled by McFIX's march across the North a few months later, right after the F-T honeypot.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #6155 on: October 14, 2009, 01:28:36 AM

Of the powers that defined the origins of the Great War (LV, BoB, D2, RA), it seems that none of them survive.  Goons were still riding the RA coat-tails at that point (lots of numbers but no fleet doctrine and no capfleet).

You have to be pretty weird about the definition of influential powers (which is why, I suspect, you used the term "defined the origins") in order to exclude Goons like that.  We were hugely influential - I'd say the key factor, but you might say that was BoB - in turning what was otherwise just another big war (of the sort that claimed FA, CA, ASCN etc) into The Great War.  The Smoske incident was the sig read around the world, and the fact that a power is ill-prepared for the rigours of a war at its start (hello USA) doesn't mean it isn't key, or even the determinant.  You see, Eve is a lot like World War II...

Who nurtured the grudge from Syndicate and intentionally shaped the power blocs of Eve to prosecute it in what was openly claimed to be a Vernichtungskrieg?  Who, indeed, turned Eve Online into a game of massive, interlinked power blocs?  At the start of the Great War proper, Goons were fighting against Bob and their allies pretty much alone: I remember being greatly encouraged when RA would turn up, but it wasn't a nightly thing.  When we won pretty much our first stand-up fleet fight against Bob in sniper doctrine, I was there in 9-9, and we were pretty much solo in Euro time.  Trying to say that Goons were not a key factor at the time is exactly the mistake that Bob made, too, and the result was 46DP and a march across the south.

The fact is that five went in, two came out, and only one is left.

Also, you're wrong on the order of events in the precursor war against LV: Chowdown's outing happened well after the loss of the baby titan, and the titan abortion was probably less important than the time that they did use their titan, but it turned out tto be ineffectual in stopping Goonfleet, who (contrary to your assertion) very definitely had a strategically hugely effective fleet doctrine, just not a conventional one that our enemies could deal with.  The doomsday (which only killed ships, after all) didn't matter, and an overwhelmingly Goonswarm force took the system anyway.

Twitter - Endieposts

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #6156 on: October 14, 2009, 08:47:01 AM

When was Chowdown outed as a dev? I remember The Enslaver bieng outed as a GM, but that was long after LV fell, and Chowdown was still active in BOB long into the war. He was throwing fleets with his titan about when IAC and AAA assaulted ED-, for example.

Having Chowdown as yet another Dev is extra LOL for me,  esp considering Mollie is now riding around in his titan. :D
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 12:07:42 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #6157 on: October 14, 2009, 12:04:05 PM

No, Himo, I think you're right.  I also believe that Zastrow referred to the Developer Formerly Known as The Enslaver as Chowdown throughout the length of the CSM meetings.

Twitter - Endieposts

JustinMead
Terracotta Army

Reply #6158 on: October 14, 2009, 07:52:50 PM

just as I'd expect PL to show up to support GS in Delve if needed.

Ohhhhh, I see.
trevorreznik
Terracotta Army

Reply #6159 on: October 14, 2009, 07:56:00 PM

Jesus, so the two most historically major/important/whatever alliances of EVE both died within 6 or so months of each other?  And both with a whimper, not a bang?  Pretty surprising.

Two of the three most historically major/important/whatever.  The third is still alive. See what I did there?

Well I don't know as much about early EVE, but really BoB/RA struck me as the guys that were there from the start.  -A- and TCF splintered from RA, LV sprung up almost as if they were people who wanted to be in BoB but not allowed in (I have no idea about LV's history), etc.  D2 was huge early on, but I still consider MH to be D2 (or the NC as d2's real successor) no matter how wrong that is.  

GS could be put in with bob/ra solely based on how the timezone coverages work (since BoB dominated eu tz, RA russian and GS american), but it doesn't make as much sense historically.  No arguing that GS is now the preeminent power though.
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 233 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: War  
Jump to: