Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:49:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 1012382 times)
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #2835 on: June 23, 2016, 06:41:11 AM

I had to 'proof read' or rather find errors in printed out C++ code for my first interview out of uni. While also explaining what the program may be supposed to do and what I would do differently other than fixing those errors. That was with some rather youngish engineering department lead and the project lead I would've been working for. It wasn't as bad as what other colleagues from uni told me about their interviews with the already mentioned search algorithms and worse.

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2836 on: June 23, 2016, 07:53:45 AM

"Well, sir, I'd start off by not printing out C++ code...."

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2837 on: June 23, 2016, 11:10:25 AM

Ugh, yeah, my least favorite part of this recent interview process was writing out C++ on a whiteboard.  Especially when I couldn't just handwave "okay, this is a linked list, it works like a reasonable linked list."  Fuuuu.

On the plus side I got an email today saying they're ready to make me an offer.   ACK!

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2838 on: June 23, 2016, 11:18:17 AM

Godspeed.

Today I Learned: Closure in functional programming.  I had to read two different explanations but I feel like I have it.  This is the sort of thing that causes me to wish I'd taken CS courses at some point in the past.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2839 on: June 23, 2016, 11:48:53 AM

Godspeed.

Today I Learned: Closure in functional programming.  I had to read two different explanations but I feel like I have it.  This is the sort of thing that causes me to wish I'd taken CS courses at some point in the past.

This book.  First CS textbook I used at Berkeley and still the one I recommend to people who want to start learning programming at a conceptual level (as opposed to having a practical need to learn a particular language or implement a particular thing).

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2840 on: June 23, 2016, 12:27:10 PM

A wizard conjuring a lambda?  Seems easy. awesome, for real

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #2841 on: June 23, 2016, 01:01:54 PM

It's all fun and games until:

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2842 on: June 23, 2016, 01:18:38 PM

You also can have a reading assignment: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambda_calculus

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2843 on: June 23, 2016, 01:36:04 PM

You also can have a reading assignment: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambda_calculus

The reason I recommend the wizard book to people is that if you read about lambda calculus on wikipedia it sounds like something really difficult and complicated, when it's not really.

The way I visualize it is, you have a machine (a "function") that takes a thing in and spits a thing out, right?  And it can be different kind of things.  So you can have a "doubler" machine that takes 2 and spits out 4, or you can have a "capitalizer" machine that takes "hello" and spits out "HELLO", or whatever.  Lambda calculus is having a machine that spits out other machines, like a "sorter-making" machine where you give it a "comparing" machine and it spits out a "sorting" machine.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 01:40:18 PM by Samwise »

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2844 on: June 24, 2016, 07:41:47 AM

Having gone well beyond DiffEq in college, I personally don't think lamda is hard, but I constantly run into people who are pretty sure anything above algebra is magic or horseshit.  It was only confusing until I realized that it was a discrete concept which was implemented in the language (in this case, I'm making another run at Go).  If you don't realize that you're just returning a function along with an associated set of variables in the same context, you might look at the code and wonder how the hell the variables remember their state.  Answer: Because it was designed to do that.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #2845 on: June 24, 2016, 09:50:02 AM

Godspeed.

This book.  First CS textbook I used at Berkeley and still the one I recommend to people who want to start learning programming at a conceptual level (as opposed to having a practical need to learn a particular language or implement a particular thing).

Thank you for sharing that link. I went to business school and got a degree in Web Development, so it covered everything from graphic design to building Rails apps. About 2/3 through, I realized what I really wanted was a CS degree, but was too far into the existing program financially to switch majors. In my spare time I'm trying to dig into fundamentals - the stuff we were not taught. I mean, I can hack together a site or app that does a lot of cool stuff, but it's ugly code and I wish I had been taught from the start the core concepts.

In hindsight, WebD as a degree is bullshit. It got me a decent job which is what matters at the end of the day, but there's another level of knowledge that simply wasn't passed down. Anyways, long winded way of saying thanks for sharing information.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2846 on: June 24, 2016, 02:35:33 PM

Thumbs up!

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #2847 on: June 27, 2016, 03:57:42 PM

Instead of my new job I thought I was starting in a week, I'll have a different new job in a week, which I was just told about today (in passing too, wtf).  It's not even really final either, and I'll have to consult on the other job, because they're likely replacing me with someone that doesn't have near the amount of VMWare experience (or any).

I think I would have preferred the first job, because I would have had a huge amount of freedom in how I tackled it and there would have been much lower expectations.  Now, I'll be put into a high pressure situation where they can pull my funding if I don't live up to the hype.

Yay.  Ohhhhh, I see.

-Rasix
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2848 on: June 27, 2016, 06:22:13 PM

You still working for the acronymn?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2849 on: June 28, 2016, 12:17:45 PM

Ohhhhh, I see.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2850 on: June 28, 2016, 02:14:19 PM

Ohhhhh, I see.

Oh, I know you work for them now.

But Rasix worked around product lines that I actually have to use.  why so serious?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Rasix

Reply #2851 on: June 28, 2016, 04:20:18 PM

You still working for the acronymn?

Of course. I'll still be working around flash based storage. Might be touching SVC as well (*cat vomit gif*).

I'm being forced to leave my current project a month before GA. Wonderful QA practices in action.  awesome, for real

-Rasix
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2852 on: June 28, 2016, 05:21:35 PM

Maybe you can help the SVC people figure out how to reclaim zeroed space from thin provisioned volumes  Mob

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2853 on: June 29, 2016, 06:41:37 AM

I work around product lines you get to use.

Rasix

Reply #2854 on: June 29, 2016, 07:03:41 PM

Maybe you can help the SVC people figure out how to reclaim zeroed space from thin provisioned volumes  Mob

You can PM me the specific issue and I can check on it. This product uses SVC so I'll have access to their architects as well.

-Rasix
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2855 on: June 30, 2016, 07:04:33 AM

Rasix

Reply #2856 on: June 30, 2016, 10:21:54 AM

awesome, for real

Anyone going to VMWorld this year?

-Rasix
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2857 on: June 30, 2016, 10:29:31 AM

Negative.  Might go to ChefConf, but TBD.  Coincides with a production launch.

I'd be more eager if it wasn't in Austin.  I keep going to Austin for some reason.

schild
Administrator

Reply #2858 on: June 30, 2016, 11:09:21 AM

Is there a city you'd rather go to in Austin? And if so, why?
schild
Administrator

Reply #2859 on: June 30, 2016, 11:09:51 AM

(Oof, that's in July, yea, I can see wanting to go anywhere else for work in July, except Arizona)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2860 on: June 30, 2016, 12:06:48 PM

It's just that I've already been there twice and sometimes conferences are in places I haven't been or haven't been in a long time.  Austin is great, but I've seen hers already.  I'm probably being dumb.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #2861 on: July 02, 2016, 09:18:36 AM

Back in the US for a few weeks, but currently stuck at the San Antonio airport. Why, you ask? Because the guy driving my car up from Monterrey is still stuck in a multi-hour long line to re-import My car to the US and get across the bridge. #lolmexico

I have no idea how people put up with that crap. And he picked up the car at 0530 this morning...

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
schild
Administrator

Reply #2862 on: July 02, 2016, 11:29:46 AM

San Antonio is not the best place in Texas to be stuck, but if you have a few hours might I suggest getting a meal at Hsiu Yu or Bangkok 54. And if you're feeling like a shitty American, there should be a Raisin Cain's nearby.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2863 on: July 13, 2016, 11:56:07 AM

People sure are desperate for anyone who can click around inside the AWS console.

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #2864 on: July 14, 2016, 05:32:37 PM

As someone currently in the middle of recreating a perfectly functional webserver because the first time I dared to do load balancing via an ordinary nginx install rather than clicking around inside the AWS console, those people can suck it.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2865 on: July 14, 2016, 09:29:30 PM

Nginx sucks for load balancing. Use haproxy instead.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #2866 on: July 14, 2016, 11:22:55 PM

Is there a particular way in which it sucks? Our crappy site is not likely to get enough traffic for me to really care about performance as long as my uptime stats are okay, though I guess having real health checks would be worth it.

Not that anyone's let me spend enough time on monitoring to actually have uptime stats. Ohhhhh, I see.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2867 on: July 18, 2016, 09:14:16 AM

Not an expert but haproxy is the way to go.  Put that in front of your webservers (nginx or apache).  I don't know the depths of its health checking but it does work pretty well.  Also that fits the "do one job and do it well" paradigm.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2868 on: July 20, 2016, 09:58:51 AM

In discussions on office locations, whe someone says there is a gym available it is now a thing (IMO) to ask if they mean a Pokemon gym.

schild
Administrator

Reply #2869 on: July 20, 2016, 12:45:41 PM

In discussions on office locations, whe someone says there is a gym available it is now a thing (IMO) to ask if they mean a Pokemon gym.

Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: