Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 05:11:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: A real life jewel thief criminal mastermind - sounds like a hollywood movie. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A real life jewel thief criminal mastermind - sounds like a hollywood movie.  (Read 2389 times)
Comstar
Terracotta Army

on: April 12, 2010, 11:30:22 AM

Art of the Steal: On the Trail of World’s Most Ingenious Thief.

This guy parachutes onto a castle window, overshoots, grabs a rail after nearly falling 4 floors, stashes the 'cute, opens a window, sneaks in past the motion sensors and armed guards, unscrews a display case he has loosened when casing the joint, put 2 bars in to fool the case dector, replaces a 2million dollar diamond tiara with a fake to fool the pressure plate (which isn't detected for 2 weeks), climbs down a rope and out the back of the castle.

And he's not caught for years after DOING everything ELSE a master Hollywood thief does before getting pressure from the Mob and a phone call from the "Boss" (what they really called him, and he has a British Accent a Bond Villain would be proud of) right as he's in a ventilation shaft with a guard standing right below him.

And he's out on Probation after protecting his cohorts and living the "quiet life".

If HALF of this story is true, Hollywood will be knocking on his door.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 11:48:14 AM

Jesus. That is fascinating. And yeah, pretty much a guaranteed movie.

One of the things that folks often comment about with comic book supervillains is that they often invent stuff or have powers that would make them way more money in the legitimate world, and isn't it unrealistic that they'd be criminals? But this guy is exactly that: his skill set would be valuable to a lot of businesses, but it's clear that it's the thrill of crime that satisfied him as much as the profits. I wouldn't put much on the odds of him going legit over the long haul.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 01:16:21 PM

Quite the read. I'd buy his autobiography in a second!

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 01:54:31 PM

That was a very interesting and enjoyable read, thanks for linking that one.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 05:02:54 PM

Sounds like Frank Abagnale Jr. and "Catch Me If You Can."

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 05:05:59 PM

Jesus. That is fascinating. And yeah, pretty much a guaranteed movie.

One of the things that folks often comment about with comic book supervillains is that they often invent stuff or have powers that would make them way more money in the legitimate world, and isn't it unrealistic that they'd be criminals? But this guy is exactly that: his skill set would be valuable to a lot of businesses, but it's clear that it's the thrill of crime that satisfied him as much as the profits. I wouldn't put much on the odds of him going legit over the long haul.
At least with noted hackers and such, the FBI and various other police organizations attempt to get them that same thrill by outwitting their fellow criminals, not their original marks.

It depends on what the thrill is for him. If it's the adrenaline of theft, probably not. If it's the thrill of getting in, outwitting guards, security firms, and tons of money in order to "win" -- maybe.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 06:51:19 PM

If you want an enjoyable book about the largest diamond heist in history this is a good one that just came out.  What's most fascinating is how unsophisticated the methodology was.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 08:26:49 PM

If you want an enjoyable book about the largest diamond heist in history this is a good one that just came out.  What's most fascinating is how unsophisticated the methodology was.
Bought.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 09:54:21 PM

Oh, and as schild will discover in that book, don't believe everything you read in Wired.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 04:13:10 PM

I feel like I just read the stainless steel rat.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 11:03:15 AM

I feel like I just read the stainless steel rat.

I read all of those as a child and it scarred me for life.  Probably in a good way though.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: A real life jewel thief criminal mastermind - sounds like a hollywood movie.  
Jump to: