Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 04:03:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Beginning of Something Good (Batman thread) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beginning of Something Good (Batman thread)  (Read 53970 times)
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #245 on: August 17, 2005, 02:06:47 AM

(For example, I think everyone in this thread who says Nicolson was in any way good as the joker needs to be shot in the head.  But that's just me.)

Perhaps not shot in the head, but I agree.  I didn't really care for his Joker.  Hammill's Joker is the definitive Joker.  Nicolson should take acting lessons from Hammill.  (How often do you get to say that sentence?)

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #246 on: August 17, 2005, 06:57:14 AM

The basic criteria are these:
Someone who can display manic energy
Someone who radiates unpredictability and a dangerous edge.
Someone who can derive pleasure and humor from sadism.
Someone who does something just because they can.

Tim Roth would work.

Over and out.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #247 on: August 17, 2005, 07:06:42 AM

Tim Roth would work.

I agree, and also it's been a while since I've seen him around.  He needs the work and would seem to fit in with their "Brits only, except the skanky ho who's a beard for a Scientologist" policy.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #248 on: August 17, 2005, 08:50:04 AM

And yet it's the superior Batman film.

Just Sayin'

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #249 on: August 17, 2005, 08:52:49 AM

Just Sayin'

No doubt.  You seem to think I give a rat's ass about which country gets the casting.  I couldn't care less about which country's spoiled celebrities get cast, I just want a good movie.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #250 on: August 17, 2005, 08:57:16 AM

Just Sayin'

Wait, I thought you were a Scot?
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #251 on: August 17, 2005, 09:20:31 AM

So ?  Just like Gulp, all I care about is a good movie too.

(oh, and I have a friend who was cast as an extra in it.  It'd be nice for her to get another cheque.)

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #252 on: August 17, 2005, 09:31:30 AM

So ?  Just like Gulp, all I care about is a good movie too.

(oh, and I have a friend who was cast as an extra in it.  It'd be nice for her to get another cheque.)

Umm...OK. Swing and a miss.

Anyways...I don't care either way. More Brits I say, if that's what it takes.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #253 on: August 17, 2005, 09:45:56 AM

I could see Del Toro doing it, especially after his turn in Sin City and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. He is a chameleon type actor. Spacey would be good, but I like someone who has shown more manic than menace.

The Joker DOES tell jokes, and he wanted to be a stand up comedian. Thus, I can see comedians being cast, especially comedians who aren't known as just "one-liner" types. I would hope that when/if they do the Joker, they don't try to overdo the rubber-faced makeup thing, like in Burton's Batman. I mean, it worked for that movie, but I don't think it'd work for this one.

And if Nolan does decide to do the sequel, I have no doubts about him making the Joker menacing, no matter who they get to play the part. The fact that he made an also-ran like the Scarecrow into a villain with actual menace.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #254 on: August 17, 2005, 11:14:25 AM

The Joker DOES tell jokes, and he wanted to be a stand up comedian.
"Chillin' with the Jooooker, buuuudy! Let's get some griiiindage!"

Hey, the Weasel wants dearly to be a comedian and he's certainly scary enough.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #255 on: August 17, 2005, 11:15:23 AM

The Joker DOES tell jokes, and he wanted to be a stand up comedian.
"Chillin' with the Jooooker, buuuudy! Let's get some griiiindage!"

Hey, the Weasel wants dearly to be a comedian and he's certainly scary enough.

Plus he can't act worth a crap.
WayAbvPar

Reply #256 on: August 17, 2005, 11:20:50 AM

FWIW, I thought that Cillian Murphy would have been a good Joker. In fact, I thought that was who he was going to end up being when I first saw him onscreen. His cheekbones are perfect for a big ol' Joker smile.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Fargull
Contributor

Reply #257 on: August 17, 2005, 11:39:51 AM

I still say James Marsters, but for a secondary.

Vincent D'Onofrio would kick seven kinds of ass.

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #258 on: August 17, 2005, 11:43:14 AM

Yes he could...Truly the most underappreciated actor around. I mean what the hell, he's working on like the billionth Law and Order spinoff or something now, right? That's a shame.

I don't know James Marsters because I haven't watched Buffy before. But I'm just going to be a shithead and say "Hell no".  smiley
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #259 on: August 18, 2005, 02:42:10 AM

Most of these suggestions want to make me scream 'Not Thin Enough!!'

But I've got Bollands Joker in my head.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #260 on: August 18, 2005, 07:34:28 AM

Yeah, I'd agree about physicality being important and all that, but Donofrio is an exception. He can play just about anything.

As far as skinny actors go, I just don't know enough about Adrien Brody to think whether he could do it or not. Everything I've seen him in he's been, he's come off as quiet and inhibited....But he definitely looks the part more than anyone else suggested.

It's a damn a shame that they didn't cast Liotta when he was young though. If anyone here has seen Something Wild, then they'll see what I'm saying. He IS the Joker, trait for trait.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #261 on: August 18, 2005, 11:48:20 AM

Friend of mine suggested Jude Law.

I think he's too young looking.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Terracotta Army

Reply #262 on: August 18, 2005, 12:01:34 PM

But how does his dick measure up?

I love me some me.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #263 on: August 18, 2005, 12:10:57 PM

But how does his dick measure up?

Is there a joke there?  Randomly bringing up genetalia isn't, on its own, funny.  Is there some nuance or subtlety to your inquiry that I'm missing?  I mean, feel free to just make joking replies, by all means, but I'm just not seeing the joke here.

Terracotta Army

Reply #264 on: August 18, 2005, 12:14:58 PM

Is there a joke there?  Randomly bringing up genetalia isn't, on its own, funny.  Is there some nuance or subtlety to your inquiry that I'm missing?  I mean, feel free to just make joking replies, by all means, but I'm just not seeing the joke here.

Go see the joke.

I love me some me.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #265 on: August 18, 2005, 12:21:52 PM

Oh.

Okay.

Looked average to me for non-erect, especially considering that has little bearing on its size when erect.  But hey, it's a tabloid that goes around snapping naked pictures of people and claiming it's a celebrity, guess I shouldn't expect much.  <shrug>

(Incoming jokes about how if I think that looks average, then my dick must be small.  Clever!)

Fargull
Contributor

Reply #266 on: August 18, 2005, 12:32:43 PM

Have you seen Road to Perdition.  I think he could do it.  However, I still like Marsters better and Vincent more.

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #267 on: August 19, 2005, 01:45:17 AM

I agree.  He was a very well played total Pyscho in RtP and it came across well.  Indeed, the whole 'smile for the camera' thing is something that the Joker himself has done.

However, does he have the energy and mania required ?  I wonder.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #268 on: August 19, 2005, 06:27:55 AM

The guy who played Agent Smith in the Matrix could pull off a good Joker, I bet.

Or maybe Snoop Dogg.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #269 on: August 19, 2005, 09:30:27 AM

Mathew Broderick.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #270 on: August 19, 2005, 10:27:20 AM

The guy who played Agent Smith in the Matrix could pull off a good Joker, I bet.

Or maybe Snoop Dogg.

Your account was hijacked by a studio exec, wasn't it?

WayAbvPar

Reply #271 on: August 19, 2005, 10:55:02 AM

Or maybe Snoop Dogg.

Your account was hijacked by a studio exec, wasn't it?

Mocha. In my nose.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #272 on: August 19, 2005, 11:50:13 AM

C'mon, man. Snoop in a hot purple pinstripe pimpsuit and green dreads? He's the Joker...he's a smoker...
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #273 on: August 19, 2005, 11:52:58 AM

He's a midnight toker.

Llava
Contributor

Reply #274 on: August 19, 2005, 12:14:33 PM

I could see Del Toro doing it

Personally, for Del Toro, I see

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #275 on: August 19, 2005, 01:21:46 PM

Ahh, Tommy-Lee Jones.  Another person totally unsuited to a Batman villian.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #276 on: August 19, 2005, 01:50:37 PM

He's a midnight toker.
I knew you'd buy-in!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Beginning of Something Good (Batman thread)  
Jump to: