Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 31, 2024, 02:54:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: StarCraft II 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 50 Go Down Print
Author Topic: StarCraft II  (Read 295764 times)
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #210 on: August 02, 2010, 07:53:10 PM

$100 for SC2 here in Australia. With the exchange rates I'm pretty sure we're the most fucked in the world price wise.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #211 on: August 02, 2010, 08:26:29 PM

I'm not paying that.  I wasn't even gonna pay for THIS one.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
It was bought for him, so he didn't pay anything.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #212 on: August 02, 2010, 09:18:27 PM

So, those reports some of you might have heard about Starcraft frying video cards... yeah, mine just fried after 3 days of playing SC2. Luckily its still under warranty.

From Blizzard on the Starcraft forums.
Certain screens make your hardware work pretty hard 
Screens that are light on detail may make your system overheat if cooling is overall insufficient. This is because the game has nothing to do so it is primarily just working on drawing the screen very quickly. A temporary workaround is to go to your Documents\StarCraft II\variables.txt file and add these lines: 
frameratecapglue=30 
frameratecap=60 
You may replace these numbers if you want to. 
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #213 on: August 02, 2010, 09:54:21 PM

I haven't found the story as cheesy as many others here except for everything involving Marine Armor Guy, but I am still only halfway through. Is there a major shark-jumping moment? (no spoilers, just yes/no)
$100 for SC2 here in Australia. With the exchange rates I'm pretty sure we're the most fucked in the world price wise.
By sheer price, probably... but at least for Eastern Europe the actual value / cost is worse. It costs 60E here just like the rest of Europe, but you're lucky to make E1k/month with an MSC and 5 years of work experience. Most people don't even make E450/mo. why so serious?

Trouble
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: August 02, 2010, 09:58:18 PM

I decided yesterday that I wanted to buy Starcraft 2. I try to buy it through battle.net, to have it error on all my credit cards. Nothing wrong with the cards so obviously an issue with the website. I decide ok, screw you battle.net, I'll go buy a box. After one Best Buy and 3 Gamestops I'm still empty handed. All of them just had the empty preorder boxes and no actual real copies. Why does no one sell this game? I come home and get the bright idea of buying a CDKey from one of those sites that just buys retail copies and takes a picture of the CDKey and sells that. I don't give a shit, I just need it in my battle.net account and then I can download it. For whatever reason these sites tend to be kind of shady despite it being a legit, albeit not-normal, way of buying something. I managed to get all three of my cards fraud locked because the site (OffGamers) is apparently not trusted. I didn't know at the time they were being fraud locked, just that the transactions were being denied. I knew 5 minutes later when Bank of America called me to inquire. I finally manage to get it paid using PayPal, get my key, add it to battle.net. Two hours of downloading later and the fucking install was corrupt. At this point I just went and got beer, drank some, and went to bed. I spent like 5 hours of my Sunday trying to get SC2 and ultimately failed, getting three credit cards fraud locked in the process which required phone calls to three banks.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: August 02, 2010, 10:46:36 PM

I decided yesterday that I wanted to buy Starcraft 2. I try to buy it through battle.net, to have it error on all my credit cards. Nothing wrong with the cards so obviously an issue with the website. I decide ok, screw you battle.net, I'll go buy a box. After one Best Buy and 3 Gamestops I'm still empty handed. All of them just had the empty preorder boxes and no actual real copies. Why does no one sell this game? I come home and get the bright idea of buying a CDKey from one of those sites that just buys retail copies and takes a picture of the CDKey and sells that.

Jesus fuck. Just mail me your wallet next time.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: August 02, 2010, 10:54:06 PM

I'm not paying that.  I wasn't even gonna pay for THIS one.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
It was bought for him, so he didn't pay anything.

*grumble* Go ruinin' my smiley...

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: August 03, 2010, 02:17:10 AM

Not sure I understood the Smiley anyway, but I am so glad I didn't pay for this.  I have realised today and yesterday that there's no desire in me whatsoever to replay the campaign.  I did it on Hard and, apart from one FUCKING ANNOYING mission, it wasn't all that hard.  I can't be bothered playing it again for any stuff I missed.  The challenges are fun, apart from Opening Gambit (Seriously, FUCK OPENING GAMBIT.  2 seconds I failed Gold by) but it's more fun to look up Youtube and find out how others did them.

Going to launch myself into the Multiplayer this week.  Oh, and look for another job.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #218 on: August 03, 2010, 05:05:53 PM

Bleh, only challenge I can't gold right now is the Psionic assault.  My micro isn't up to it.

-Rasix
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #219 on: August 03, 2010, 06:18:10 PM

For psionic assault, create 2-3 immortals per wave, put them in front. Make sure you always have 4. When the enemies close, storm once. Autoattack with your sentries to victory!

The only two issues are making sure the reapers don't hop up the ramp or making sure you don't get blindsided by the mutas.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #220 on: August 03, 2010, 09:27:58 PM

For psionic assault, create 2-3 immortals per wave, put them in front. Make sure you always have 4. When the enemies close, storm once. Autoattack with your sentries to victory!

The only two issues are making sure the reapers don't hop up the ramp or making sure you don't get blindsided by the mutas.

I did it a different way. Just blocked ramp and sentries with melee, blocked ramp and stormed once with range.

Feedback the banshees.

A couple of hallucinations (I use colossai) to tank reapers and the ones you have more trouble with and then storm the groups that attack.

Once you get towards the end and have templars with low energy make a couple of archons.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: August 04, 2010, 01:49:30 AM

So, I finally got this game working.  So far, seems pretty good, but there's two minor nags that are getting under my skin.

1- The manual.  This thing is like five pages long, all of it backstory.  No unit list?  No tech tree?  No map editor documentation?  I could maybe understand it if there was a more comprehensive manual on the disc (still annoying, but understandable) but nope, the PDF is the same five page pamphlet as the paper manual.

2- Kind of sad that the "Player" character doesn't seem to exist anymore.  In Warcraft, Warcraft II, and the original Starcraft, you were playing as a Commander.  A General or Cerebrate or Executor or whatever.  Then in Warcraft III, they got rid of that, and you're not a character in the story anymore, you're just controlling some of them some of the time.  It's not as bad as that in SC2 because it's more like Raynor is the sole main character (at least as far as I've gotten), but I still prefer being the faceless "Governor of Mar Sara" to "Governor Frank McSpacemuscle, whose childhood escapades on the wrong side of the law made him close friends with yadda yadda haunted past blah blah drinks to forget etc. etc."

Seems pretty cool so far, though.  The in between mission bits are interesting, to me, and I'm wondering how they're going to keep that going with the Protoss and especially the Zerg through twenty odd missions.  The Protoss seemed a bit one dimensional to have much character dialogue beyond "honor is good, don't you hate Zerg", and the Zerg don't seem like they'd be chatting with a Hydralisk over by the water cooler or whatever.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: August 04, 2010, 01:55:53 AM

So, I finally got this game working.  So far, seems pretty good, but there's two minor nags that are getting under my skin.

1- The manual.  This thing is like five pages long, all of it backstory.  No unit list?  No tech tree?  No map editor documentation?  I could maybe understand it if there was a more comprehensive manual on the disc (still annoying, but understandable) but nope, the PDF is the same five page pamphlet as the paper manual.

There is a full Tech Tree + Unit list available in game under the help menu i believe, before you launch a campaign or multiplayer match.  Not sure about map editor docs though.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #223 on: August 04, 2010, 01:56:24 AM

Yeah, I have that same wonder about the zerg campaign. The 'best' idea I've come up with so far is that it could be presented as Mengsk or Raynor reacting to reports of what the zerg is doing - you research something for mutalisks, they get a report of "oh no sir their mutalisks have multishot!" or something. You could frame a whole narrative that way but it would be tricky.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: August 04, 2010, 02:23:10 AM

In the zerg challenge missions a queen chats to you about what your goals will be, so maybe the Zerg have more banter than you think.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: August 04, 2010, 02:35:05 AM

Spoiler tagging this because it gives away the end of the single player campaign:

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #226 on: August 04, 2010, 03:10:33 AM

See, that seems like the exact sort of thing that would give Metzen an erection, therefore it would totally go right in.

God Save the Horn Players
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: August 04, 2010, 04:34:19 AM

Spoiler tagging this because it gives away the end of the single player campaign:

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: August 04, 2010, 04:41:21 AM

I missed the red hair.

Heartbreak

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #229 on: August 04, 2010, 06:19:42 AM

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #230 on: August 04, 2010, 06:56:01 AM

So, those reports some of you might have heard about Starcraft frying video cards... yeah, mine just fried after 3 days of playing SC2. Luckily its still under warranty.

From Blizzard on the Starcraft forums.
Certain screens make your hardware work pretty hard 
Screens that are light on detail may make your system overheat if cooling is overall insufficient. This is because the game has nothing to do so it is primarily just working on drawing the screen very quickly. A temporary workaround is to go to your Documents\StarCraft II\variables.txt file and add these lines: 
frameratecapglue=30 
frameratecap=60 
You may replace these numbers if you want to. 

Worse part is this a beta bug.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #231 on: August 04, 2010, 07:27:05 AM

I've got a new favorite stream. Trump is a rank 1 diamond terran player who devotes a ton of time on his stream to helping noobs and explaining builds/game analysis.  He's pretty much awesome, although admittedly if you don't play terran you won't get nearly as much out of it.   Regardless, as I've recently switched to random, I'm finding his stream absolutely invaluable in improving my horrible terran play.  http://www.livestream.com/trumpsc
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: August 04, 2010, 10:44:07 AM

I'm having the same problem with this as I did with the beta ;  a staggering lack of decent replays to download.

Sure, I have the 3 links that others thoughtfully provided in the beta thread, but they seem to be populated by crap idiots uploading themself owning Downs Syndrome players and then posting 'ahaha, I eat your mother out' at the end.

Anyone ?

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: August 04, 2010, 12:00:39 PM

Is there a mission that can't be solved with the hammer of marines+medics?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: August 04, 2010, 12:06:24 PM

There are some that require you to fly around. Of course, you could just load your marines+medics into a hercules...

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #235 on: August 04, 2010, 12:19:51 PM

There are some that are air only, like the haven missions. But in general, no.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: August 04, 2010, 12:31:16 PM

This of course probably demonstrates why medics were cut from multiplayer.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #237 on: August 04, 2010, 12:41:36 PM

If you mean your main force is mainly barracks troops rather than exclusively then the answer, I believe, is no, at least on Normal.

If you do mean exclusively barracks troops then there are a few missions that I think may be impossible to complete (e.g. "Shatter the Sky" and "The Moebius Factor").

Also most of the missions are designed to take advantage of whatever unit becomes available in that mission. Certain objectives and achievements may be impossible to get without using those units extensively.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #238 on: August 04, 2010, 12:43:20 PM

There are some that are air only, like the haven missions. But in general, no.
The Haven missions should be completable with only barracks troops on Normal assuming you are also allowing yourself to build missile turrets.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: August 04, 2010, 12:45:37 PM

It should also be pointed out that thors + science vessels is like a REALLY AWESOME GIANT ROBOT version of marines+medics and will get you through missions pretty much just as easily (once said contraptions are actually available to you of course.)

Also I think you would have a very, very hard time completing the final mission without air units, though perhaps that depends on the choice you make in the mission immediately preceding it.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #240 on: August 04, 2010, 12:46:42 PM

In PvP it's "kill the healers first". Medics work in the campaign cause the AI doesn't make them the priority targets.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #241 on: August 04, 2010, 12:52:07 PM

Also I think you would have a very, very hard time completing the final mission without air units, though perhaps that depends on the choice you make in the mission immediately preceding it.
It does. I only had a few air units in the final mission and that's just cause the Yamato Cannon made the "special encounter" easier to deal with.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: August 04, 2010, 01:51:39 PM

Science vessel is  Heart

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #243 on: August 04, 2010, 02:09:59 PM

6 Battlecruisers with 3 Science Vessels pretty much solved all my problems.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: August 04, 2010, 02:49:18 PM

In PvP it's "kill the healers first". Medics work in the campaign cause the AI doesn't make them the priority targets.

Doesn't it? Like, the AI on a attack move will make healing Medivacs priority over other things in multi.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 50 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: StarCraft II  
Jump to: