Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 11:56:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Cataclysm 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 236 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cataclysm  (Read 1264923 times)
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #4725 on: December 15, 2010, 08:06:26 AM

The time grindy nature of everything is starting to get to me.  For example, cooking.  Are there any new trained foods?  I think they are all only available from the vendor for three tokens.  You can only get 1 token a day.  So, three days for every recipe.  And most of the "good" recipes require the most anachronistly grindy "profession" of them all, fishing.  One that was so annoying to get past a certain level they had to put in a daily to just give you skill points. 

Pick up the two that require the shrimp--they're not fished, they come out of the clams that naga/murlocs drop in Vashj'ir.  Those (and the points from the cooking daily) got me almost all the way to 525

Note to self : bank instead of destroying/selling all the clams.   why so serious?

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #4726 on: December 15, 2010, 08:26:48 AM

I like archeology a lot. It really speaks to the lazy explorer in me.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #4727 on: December 15, 2010, 09:06:54 AM

Cooking is LESS grindy than it was in wotlk. Every cooking recipe only takes three tokens(as opposed to some taking 5 in wotlk) and each daily also gives a point in cooking skill.  Add to the fact the expansion has only been out a week and people have already maxxed cooking as well as several of the in game reputations? I'm sorry but as far as grindy goes this pales in comparison to just about anything else.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #4728 on: December 15, 2010, 09:30:37 AM

Cooking is LESS grindy than it was in wotlk. Every cooking recipe only takes three tokens(as opposed to some taking 5 in wotlk) and each daily also gives a point in cooking skill.

I think we are just going to have a difference of opinion on this one.  Yes, three is less than five.  However, with WotLK, you could at least get up past the previous expansion cap just by buying recipes from the trainer.  This time that is not an option.  The tokens are your only option to get recipes.  And the maxed cooking skill is because you could have been doing the daily since 4.0.3 on the 16th, 20 some odd tokens available before the cap increase. 

It's not a big deal, I just find it emblematic of the whole idea of the expansion.  Everything has always come with an associated grind, but its not even hidden now and it's right from the start. 
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4729 on: December 15, 2010, 09:33:22 AM

You could always wait 3-6 months to play the expansion.  By then the grind will be reduced and the rush to get to cap will be gone.  If I play this expansion at all it will be after the last coat of polish has been applied and the leet kiddies have gotten bored.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #4730 on: December 15, 2010, 09:35:22 AM

You could always wait 3-6 months to play the expansion.  By then the grind will be reduced and the rush to get to cap will be gone.  If I play this expansion at all it will be after the last coat of polish has been applied and the leet kiddies have gotten bored.

They're just bitching about cooking.  The run to 85 seems to be very short.  My friend is already 84 and plays very casually.  Although like you, he's a pro at leveling rather quickly.

Common, resub. I need someone to gripe at in the evenings.  awesome, for real

-Rasix
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4731 on: December 15, 2010, 09:37:40 AM

Common, resub. I need someone to gripe at in the evenings.  awesome, for real

Can you hide shoulder pad art yet?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #4732 on: December 15, 2010, 09:39:52 AM

They're just bitching about cooking. 

Respect my existential cooking crisis here.  I must be able to turn digital things into other digital things and pretend that they are tasty treats at ludicrous speed.
Rasix

Reply #4733 on: December 15, 2010, 09:41:36 AM

Common, resub. I need someone to gripe at in the evenings.  awesome, for real

Can you hide shoulder pad art yet?

Make a new goblin.  Don't wear shoulder pads.  Newbs survive fine without them. Problem solved!

edit: Although, I shouldn't deter you from playing DA.  You're making good strides as a well rounded gamer.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

-Rasix
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4734 on: December 15, 2010, 10:01:25 AM

I've thought about resubbing.  To be honest, I'm such a total noob at dungeon runs that it's keeping me from playing.  I'm great at leveling solo from 1-cap and even moderately competent at pvp.  I am completely ignorant of the group game and find most people lack the patience to bring me up to speed.  Between that and not being thrilled about the art, I've just stayed away. 

-  Mark Twain
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #4735 on: December 15, 2010, 10:12:21 AM

I hit 82 last night.  I've done 43/160 quests in Vash - that's it.  The rest I've done from Archaeology which is at 180ish.  XP flows....
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #4736 on: December 15, 2010, 10:38:14 AM

You know what?

Fuck Corborus

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #4737 on: December 15, 2010, 11:10:14 AM

I did one heroic random (all others with my guild) to get a wand from blackrock caverns.. we just couldn't beat the third boss, no matter how many times we explained the fight to the tank he just couldn't figure it out. Which is sad, because for everybody being random the healer was good and all the dps were doing 11k+ on the bosses, it was just we were carrying the tank until we got to that boss where we couldn't do it for him.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #4738 on: December 15, 2010, 11:12:03 AM

3rd boss is the drag-guy-over-fire-to-bust-his-armor guy right?

Only done it on normal but I definitely made a mental "this will be a PUG killer" note. There are a lot of ways to fail there.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #4739 on: December 15, 2010, 11:42:23 AM

I cancelled my subscription. I'm glad I caught it before my next billing date. I'm not having much fun with Cataclysm. I just regret having spent the money on the expansion itself.

What killed it for you? Digging?

LFD. The thought of everyone in my guild getting their gear on while I obstinatley sit out due to hating PUGs.

Though one guild boss is talking about putting together a guild dungeon night. If that takes off, I'll probably resub.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #4740 on: December 15, 2010, 11:45:18 AM

I obstinately refuse to PUG for the most part too, I just nag people til they go with me.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #4741 on: December 15, 2010, 12:15:07 PM

I am completely ignorant of the group game and find most people lack the patience to bring me up to speed.  Between that and not being thrilled about the art, I've just stayed away. 
We could be WoW buddies!  Y'know, if either of us played.

Also it figures Ingmar is conscripting guildies for runs now that I'm not playing. tongue

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4742 on: December 15, 2010, 12:22:00 PM

Also it figures Ingmar is conscripting guildies for runs now that I'm not playing. tongue

If I could find a few people willing to bring me up to speed, I'd resub tomorrow.  I got bored playing solo and have no patience for pugs.  Hell, I'd even level a toon just to fill a role.  I don't care about min-maxxing, I just want to see the content.

-  Mark Twain
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #4743 on: December 15, 2010, 12:33:01 PM

What we need is some way to form RDF groups cross-server. Maybe some kind of cross-server friends list and chat would be a good way to start it off.... 

Ohhhhh, I see.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Rasix

Reply #4744 on: December 15, 2010, 12:44:09 PM

If I could find a few people willing to bring me up to speed, I'd resub tomorrow.  I got bored playing solo and have no patience for pugs.  Hell, I'd even level a toon just to fill a role.  I don't care about min-maxxing, I just want to see the content.

Just not the critical mass of people you're looking for on my server, I'd imagine.  It's just myself and my RL friend at the moment and he's off doing 80+ stuff (and on EST) while I roll my new goblin.  His brother is being stubborn about resubbing and my other friend (that I just know from WoW) disappeared after getting hacked.

Still, we're a good, helpful bunch.

-Rasix
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #4745 on: December 15, 2010, 01:25:49 PM

I resubbed over the weekend to play casually and started a new toon, I think I'm level 23.

I managed to make 100g from gathering in the newbie area.   awesome, for real

Woo gold.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #4746 on: December 15, 2010, 01:30:36 PM

I'll start a new character where ever - all my old pals on Malygos left for one of the servers slammed with queues. Serves those bitches right, but since I haven't played since 2007, I have no room to talk. That said, my priest is getting bored pugging and watching the tears flow when shammies roll on agi gear.  awesome, for real

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #4747 on: December 15, 2010, 02:06:56 PM

I've always wondered why F13 didn't have a Bat Country presence, with the popularity of this game.  Seems like everyone is spread out across servers a bit.  With the new guild stuff, might be ideal to form up somewhere.  Unless I missed it, that is.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #4748 on: December 15, 2010, 02:10:37 PM

There was an F13 guild for a while I think (/points at Burning Region subforum).

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4749 on: December 15, 2010, 02:12:20 PM

Been tried and tried and tried again.  (I have Chars in all 3 guilds, all made it to ~30 before the majority stopped playing. Burning Region, Severance and ... I forget the 3rd but I had a Druid in it.)   Too many differing playstyles, time zones and existing friends/ guild relationships to make it work in WoW, or any Diku, really.  Eve works because there's a larger goal and being part of a huge group lets everyone do their own thing at their own timezone.  More importantly it's all on the same server.  Plus, killing a POS in EVE doesn't mean you can't do it again for a week, unlike killing a boss in WoW.

If GW2 picks-up there might be room there, but I suspect it'll be shallow enough, like the first, that folks will stop playing after the first few weeks.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Rasix

Reply #4750 on: December 15, 2010, 02:13:32 PM

I've always wondered why F13 didn't have a Bat Country presence, with the popularity of this game.  Seems like everyone is spread out across servers a bit.  With the new guild stuff, might be ideal to form up somewhere.  Unless I missed it, that is.
I'm tied down with RL friends and a large stable of characters (and tradeskills) on my server.  Too expensive to move.  

Any attempt to reroll on another server would crap out at some point.  And I'll never go to a PVP server or a designated RP server.  

I imagine others are in similar circumstances with differing prejudices about where they'd be willing to play.

I'm willing to help others, always.  My server would be easy to start on as it's PST and low pop.  Achievers may end up disliking the rather podunk atmosphere of it.  I may roll a worgen on Doomhammer to extort money out of SLAP (Ingmar et all), but I'd likely go back to my own server.  The shame of being alliance would get to me before too much time has passed.

-Rasix
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #4751 on: December 15, 2010, 02:14:57 PM

I think your previous guy on our server lasted one entire login!

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4752 on: December 15, 2010, 02:15:12 PM

Oh yeah.. the Horde/ Alliance thing is another BIG disincentive to an F13 guild.  I completely overlooked that one.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Rasix

Reply #4753 on: December 15, 2010, 02:17:01 PM

I think your previous guy on our server lasted one entire login!

Ahem, space goat mage was a lady.  And it was at least two logins, don't sell me short.

-Rasix
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #4754 on: December 15, 2010, 03:40:31 PM

I am completely ignorant of the group game and find most people lack the patience to bring me up to speed.  Between that and not being thrilled about the art, I've just stayed away.  
We could be WoW buddies!  Y'know, if either of us played.

He does this until we start raiding and/or has BIS for everything, then he pares back a lot lest he risk burn out. You just started playing with us long after WotLK's Ingmar Jamboree.

EDIT: And Nebu, I'm a cranky ol' bitch, but Slap has a lot of patient, nice people (mostly people from the guild we merged with  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS), so if the call becomes too much for you to resist, and you can take playing Alliance, you're welcome to give us a whirl.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 03:43:45 PM by Sjofn »

God Save the Horn Players
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #4755 on: December 15, 2010, 03:46:42 PM

I've only tipped my toes in Vashjitsface and sold one stack of Blood Shrimp for 1200g (apparently I typoed on the price and someone bought it anyway).  The real fun has been leveling new dudes on Horde side (my 80s were Alliance), convincing a couple of friends to play with me and having the whole thing snowball from there. My Belf mage is now almost 68 and there's ten rl friends and acquaintances in our fledgling guild. Too bad about the guild exp nerf though, kinda takes the wind from our sails on the "let's get us some guild achievements!" front.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #4756 on: December 15, 2010, 03:53:00 PM

Compared to Azshara, it just felt like amateur hour.

Now the start to Stonetalon is really promising.  I never liked that zone, but the whole army vibe they have going for it is pretty cool so far.  Consistent design works wonders.

I really really liked stonetalons quests and the flow around the zone. Hands down one of the best zones I have experienced leveling up so far.
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #4757 on: December 15, 2010, 06:00:14 PM

3rd boss is the drag-guy-over-fire-to-bust-his-armor guy right?

Only done it on normal but I definitely made a mental "this will be a PUG killer" note. There are a lot of ways to fail there.
Clearing the fire elementals before that boss is waaay harder than the boss itself.  At least in the PUGs I've been in.  Normally one death per elemental from the metal oozes and low hps and mana all round.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #4758 on: December 15, 2010, 06:18:07 PM

I obstinately refuse to PUG for the most part too, I just nag people til they go with me.
Me too.  I hate PUGs and hate dealing with the idiots that flock to them.  My guildmates are leaving me behind in gear, but I won't waste my time or cash on repairs because of random dumbassery.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #4759 on: December 15, 2010, 10:57:35 PM

I'm tied down with RL friends and a large stable of characters (and tradeskills) on my server.  Too expensive to move.  
Any attempt to reroll on another server would crap out at some point.  And I'll never go to a PVP server or a designated RP server.  
I imagine others are in similar circumstances with differing prejudices about where they'd be willing to play.
I'm willing to help others, always.  

Pretty much this, to a T. My RL friends have stopped playing WoW, except for a couple, but I have a ton of characters, and my wife's account snad characters as well, so there's no point starting over elsewhere, especially as Proudmoore has a heavy Oceanic/Aussie pop which means there are always people about. It's also got a hige GLBT pop, since both groups made it their "unofficial" PVE servers pre-launch.

Of course, my playtimes may not match that well with others'. Paelos is here somewhere as well. If anyone does decide to start a char on PM, I'll help out and such. Bags, some gold, a few deadmines runs, etc... if any higher level people xfer, I'd happily quest & run with you (in a few weeks, after I finish my LK content).

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 236 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Cataclysm  
Jump to: