Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 06:52:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Cataclysm 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 236 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cataclysm  (Read 1264739 times)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #4200 on: November 29, 2010, 02:40:27 PM

"It's not gay if it's an elf."

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #4201 on: November 29, 2010, 02:45:08 PM

No self-respecting straight man plays male elf characters in wow.

Why do straight men hate appearing hot to ladies?

God Save the Horn Players
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #4202 on: November 29, 2010, 03:18:02 PM

I'll have you know my male blood elf is quite manly.  http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/alexstrasza/kirthas/
Um, ignore the pink text. 

The Searing Gorge quest chain was fun.  The Burning Steppes quest chain was a bit dull until the end when the plan comes together for an amusing end.
I'm outlevelling Swamp of Sorrows so not sure if I'll do the whole chain.  I like how Blasted Lands is the highest EK zone before Outland and I'm sure you get sent through the Dark Portal at that point.

Now go improve Outland Blizz.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #4203 on: November 29, 2010, 03:18:10 PM

No self-respecting straight man plays male elf characters in wow.

They play female night elves.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #4204 on: November 29, 2010, 03:26:12 PM

I'll have you know my male blood elf is quite manly.  http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/alexstrasza/kirthas/
Um, ignore the pink text. 

Man, nice outfit! My male blood elf is also totally manly, and he has YELLOW text: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/moon-guard/zandrys/

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #4205 on: November 29, 2010, 04:11:43 PM

The only thing that amuses me about female blood elves is the head tilt thing they do when idle. Because that is SO the look I give my party when we haven't pulled anything for 3 minutes.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #4206 on: November 29, 2010, 05:08:29 PM

Flying over the zones misses about 95% of what makes the changes awesome.

This. You really need to do it from ground level to appreciate it all fully. Flying 10ft off the ground might do the same thing, but I've really enjoyed checking it out as well as doing the new quests that change the zones around. I've had several "whoa, that's nice" moments while running around om my lowbie, and I've only properly seen 3 cities, 3 zones and 2 half-of-a-zones

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4207 on: November 29, 2010, 05:10:44 PM

If you want Master flying (310%) just do the "What a Long Strange Trip it's Been" achieve.  Or, if you're really good at PVP do the Arena thing until you get Gladiator.  Both grant the top level of flying now.   If pooling 5k gold is that severe an issue for you, then the year it'd take to do LST will probably be easier.

One of those options takes a full year to complete and the other is only available to .5% of the population, getting exalted rep and farming 4k gold is magnitudes easier than either of those options.

Yeah that's my opinion, too.  However I still run into people who, having played for 4+ years say things like "How the hell do you have 20k gold on your Death Knight?  I never have more than 1,000 at most!"  Yes, they're still on the base flying mount.   I don't get it either.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4208 on: November 29, 2010, 05:14:17 PM

Flying over the zones misses about 95% of what makes the changes awesome.

This. You really need to do it from ground level to appreciate it all fully. Flying 10ft off the ground might do the same thing, but I've really enjoyed checking it out as well as doing the new quests that change the zones around. I've had several "whoa, that's nice" moments while running around om my lowbie, and I've only properly seen 3 cities, 3 zones and 2 half-of-a-zones

Plus, it's pretty cool when you're exploring the changes in a zone and Deathwing flies through, torching everything. At first I was like, what? And then I was like, whoaaa.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #4209 on: November 29, 2010, 05:15:13 PM

I am one of those usually-poor people, although I have gotten myself slowly over the years to 3 or so characters with epic flight. My main has the artisan flight from the holiday achievement, and the relatively small boost isn't worth it to me to buy for anyone else.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #4210 on: November 29, 2010, 05:31:52 PM

I only have one character and that character has two gathering professions. As soon as I decided I had all the gear I wanted from WOTLK and thus quit buying gems/enchants, the gold piled up around my ears. Bought a motorcycle, will be able to buy 310 flight as soon as I get around to caring, though that'll break me.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #4211 on: November 29, 2010, 05:39:08 PM

Except now everyone will be in Ironforge and Orgrimmar.  If they had any damn sense, they'd've put something compelling in the redheaded stepchild cities like Darnassus to bait players into hanging around them like unique daily quests or convenient access to new content.  As it is, we'll be seeing the same 'OMG ironforge lag' of the old days back with a vengeance.

On my server at least, Stormwind always has a ton of people in it as well as Ironforge. Quite comparable really, ever since they added the AH to SW. (There's a second AH and Bank near the Deeprun Tram as well which will spread people around a little more as soon as they start to realise). Darnassus is always almost empty, and Exodar is always empty because it's a fucking mess of a design. Seriously, they need to completely rebuild that town.

But anyway, if Horde are mostly in Org and a few in UC, it's still a hell of a lot better than everyone from both sides being in a "city" that's double-layered but half the size of one of the normal capitals.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #4212 on: November 29, 2010, 05:42:12 PM

Hm, other than IF I actually find Exodar to be the simplest/cleanest city design. Hub and spoke, while SW and Darnassus have more walls and water barriers clogging up pathways and such.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #4213 on: November 29, 2010, 06:23:54 PM

The interior layout might be okay, but the everything-looks-exactly-the-same architecture is off-putting, as is the long and winding road that takes you up to the outside.

I played for an hour or so yesterday. Decided to just do quests and finish off the grey Redridge stuff and a bunch of Darkshire. All the time I was wanting to do dungeons in the back of my mind, though.

Lanty - you might just need a year or two off. Not playing for a long time, playng LotRO for a bit, then coming back to WoW when the lotro shiny wore off made it a whole new game for me. Take some time off and do a trial in a year or two to see if it holds anything for you.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #4214 on: November 29, 2010, 09:59:29 PM

Perhaps.  I had a good run thanks to having people whose company I enjoyed around.  However, my tolerance for certain things is getting less in my old age and conscious design decisions and are in direct opposition to them.  Maybe they'll have ironed some of those out by WoW 5.0 or when they decide to go f2p.

Or maybe they won't.  What I do hope is that someone else can prove to be a success so that lessons on what to do right can be learned from a new game and not one approaching six years old.

Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #4215 on: November 29, 2010, 11:02:38 PM

I can understand that with just a cursory overlook it might seem overwhelming to essentially re-learn the old world that you were already comfortable with.  But really.  Just roll a damn alt.  The shit's incredible.  I promise. 

Remember that quest you hated because it was like poking needles in your eye?  It's probably changed to be coherent.  And it's worthwhile now, because the rewards are much improved.  Remember how it sucked after you were done with that god damn quest, that you had to drive your dude back to the quest hub and he sent you right back to the place you just came from?  No more.  Now that quest auto-completes, and you get the next one right there in the middle of wherever in front of god and everybody.  Remember that quest where you had to fly back to the god damn auction house to get some retard engineer to make you a mithril casing because there weren't any on the god damn auction house?  No more.  Now you just need a thing off one of those gorillas right over there.  And you're done.

The only thing that sucks about WoW at the moment is Outlands.  It's just a hideous monstrosity in comparison to the new content.  I used to look forward to getting out of the old world with my alt du jour because at least the rewards in Outland were better.  No more.  At least they nerfed the xp so it doesn't last as long.

AKA Gyoza
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #4216 on: November 29, 2010, 11:11:19 PM

Westfall is a murder mystery now.  When I looked down and saw the Furlbrows dead, I actually had a moment where I was pissed.  Old Blanchy deserved better.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #4217 on: November 29, 2010, 11:32:33 PM

Westfall is a murder mystery now.  When I looked down and saw the Furlbrows dead, I actually had a moment where I was pissed.  Old Blanchy deserved better.

Looks like they really put the cart....before the horse.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #4218 on: November 29, 2010, 11:40:39 PM

I got to punch Deathwing in the face today.  Heart

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4219 on: November 30, 2010, 12:47:14 AM

Is Deathwing still running around destroying shit? I've neither seen him nor heard from anyone who has.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #4220 on: November 30, 2010, 02:42:37 AM

The lowbie undead quest where you pretend to be a quest giver is fucking hilarious.

Where is this quest? If it's in Tirisfal then I've either missed it or didn't notice it. Seem to have been told to go to Silverpine already.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #4221 on: November 30, 2010, 03:11:36 AM

That quest chain is  awesome, for real
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #4222 on: November 30, 2010, 03:30:23 AM

The lowbie undead quest where you pretend to be a quest giver is fucking hilarious.

Where is this quest? If it's in Tirisfal then I've either missed it or didn't notice it. Seem to have been told to go to Silverpine already.
It's the very first quest in Hillsbrad, after you get sent via breadcrumb.
Make sure you finish all of Silverpine first, though.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #4223 on: November 30, 2010, 05:24:16 AM

It's the very first quest in Hillsbrad, after you get sent via breadcrumb.
Make sure you finish all of Silverpine first, though.

Cheers. Nowhere near it then. Not really playing my hunter that much - not enjoying the class as much as I thought I would (or as much as I remember playing it a few years ago).

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #4224 on: November 30, 2010, 06:35:32 AM

Low level no heirloom healing is D: right now. Especially with the changes to SFK and Deadmines.

Dear lord, what. It's pretty much 4 casts and OOM for any healer right now, combined with MUCH harder trash and bosses.
If you've got a priest, Disc has no mana issues in low level dungeons assuming sensible pulls and an actual tank.

I have a shadow priest and have had few mana issues.  I have to drink a little.  But she was already 25 when the sundering took place and all the bosses grew to 4x hps.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #4225 on: November 30, 2010, 06:41:08 AM

Low level no heirloom healing is D: right now. Especially with the changes to SFK and Deadmines.

Dear lord, what. It's pretty much 4 casts and OOM for any healer right now, combined with MUCH harder trash and bosses.
If you've got a priest, Disc has no mana issues in low level dungeons assuming sensible pulls and an actual tank.

My priest is 80 already. What I lack is a druid, but that's painful to heal with while leveling right now.

I'm tempted to use a shaman, since earth shield will help a lot with healing mana, since it's a low cost and 9 charges out of the box now.

Druids are just.. We have a HoT and swiftmend, and everything else costs a fifth of your mana bar.

edit: that said though, Rake is hilariously overpowered at low levels. The DoT tics crit for half an even con mob's health.

I started a troll druid to check out the starting areas.

The pain has largely been removed from early druid leveling.  Cat form at 8.  Wow.  And boy is rake OP.  Thorns too even though it's been toned down.

AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #4226 on: November 30, 2010, 08:30:27 AM

Yeah seeing Old Blanchy like that was quite a shock. Suspicious hobos in place of Defias .. hehe. I had no idea the Defias were finished ... no more Van Cleef! I'm glad I didn't do beta and spoil any of this stuff, so many little surprises.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #4227 on: November 30, 2010, 09:10:05 AM

I can understand that with just a cursory overlook it might seem overwhelming to essentially re-learn the old world that you were already comfortable with.  But really.  Just roll a damn alt.  The shit's incredible.  I promise. 
Maybe I'm not making myself clear enough.  It's not overwhelming.  It's that... I. Don't. Give. A. Fuck.

Wandering around doesn't rekindle that feeling.  The most joy I got was from pulling out my green proto-drake.  (I love that 'little' guy.)  Five seconds of nostalgia isn't going to cut it though.

I'm glad a lot of you are finding it fun.  I'm interested in following along because WoW impacts game design whether I'm enjoying it or not, so I've been putting out my initial impressions while they're still not well-formed and tainted by hindsight.  Just accept it's not for everyone, and I happen to be one of those people.  No amount of "You should love it because I do!" is going to change my opinion.  Because it's a bloody opinion.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #4228 on: November 30, 2010, 09:27:40 AM

Clearly you are confused, the wow bitching thread is over here. -----> http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=20037.0

This is the circle jerk thread.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #4229 on: November 30, 2010, 09:29:44 AM

Is that pet raptor quest in Stranglethorn a new one? It's pretty cool.

There's a quest that's giving me fits tho: High Priestess Venoxis

(lol looks like she used to be a level 60 mob; I'm 35 now)
Shrike
Terracotta Army

Reply #4230 on: November 30, 2010, 09:52:44 AM

Whoa. Seriously? Wow.

Well, hell, now I"ll have to look into that. My shaman was just out there the other day and I didn't notice them anywhere, but...hell.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #4231 on: November 30, 2010, 11:12:26 AM

That quest chain is  awesome, for real

The caravan chain in EPL is still my favorite so far of the stuff I've done (I am totally joining the Paladin Pals), but that one was right up there. I don't often laugh out loud at stuff in my fake internet world, but the third guy having his story interupted by the other two made me lose my shit.  Heart

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #4232 on: November 30, 2010, 12:32:30 PM

I'm glad a lot of you are finding it fun.  I'm interested in following along because WoW impacts game design whether I'm enjoying it or not, so I've been putting out my initial impressions while they're still not well-formed and tainted by hindsight.  Just accept it's not for everyone, and I happen to be one of those people.  No amount of "You should love it because I do!" is going to change my opinion.  Because it's a bloody opinion.

That's fine. I've been there with WoW. I'm there now with LotRO. I'm not trying to sell it to you or even make sure that you try it again in a year or two years or whatever, even though that got me interested again. Because while you're a nice enough poster on f13, I've never interacted with you ingame, etc, so it's not like I'm going to suddenly "miss" hanging out with you and so forth. OTOH, the game design changes are probably a good thing for the MMO industry, since it has involved a great deal of the cockstabbing with levelling quests.

por example: There's a long quest chain in Rivendell in Trollshaws (which is a painful zone, as well) in LotRO where you literally just run from Elrond to Aragorn (across town, around a huge gorge with a river in it) to Elrond, to one of Elrond's sons halfway across the zone, to the edge of the zone, back to Elrond's son, back to Elrond, up into an adjacent zone to Gloin, back to Elond, over to Glorfindel, back to Elrond, back to Aragorn, etc etc etc etc. You're not really doing anything, just playing messenger boy. Hopefully the WoW changes will impact silly timewasting quests like this in future MMO design.

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #4233 on: November 30, 2010, 12:39:42 PM

The only messenger-type quest I can see having any patience for is if the game has the tech to ambush you along the way.  Even then, they better be high-reward quests.  And very few and far between.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #4234 on: November 30, 2010, 01:01:39 PM

Remember how it sucked after you were done with that god damn quest, that you had to drive your dude back to the quest hub and he sent you right back to the place you just came from?  No more.  Now that quest auto-completes, and you get the next one right there in the middle of wherever in front of god and everybody. 

Is this something that only happens after a certain level, or something?  I started up a couple new characters to check out the new content, and I've had to turn everything in as I always have.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 236 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Cataclysm  
Jump to: