Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 08:40:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Cataclysm 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 236 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cataclysm  (Read 1265155 times)
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #4095 on: November 25, 2010, 03:37:54 AM

The portal market will die in two weeks. Right now it only exists because they yanked the portal system out, but the 80s still need to be in northrend. Come the actual expansion, the 80s will move back to the old world and fly themselves around.

There will still be a market to hop continents, unless you're able to zone across while flying or have dual hearths (Shaman, Druid, DK) so you can hop continents on your own.   It just won't be as expensive as it is right now -  2g per port on Alleria.

The continent hopping is the main thing bothering me as Alliance, especially as they removed the boat from Wetlands to Auberdine and as far as I can tell haven't replaced it. This means that the quickest non-portal route from Azeroth to either Exodar or Darnassus involves a mandatory 10 minute flight from Theramore. This really is my only major gripe with this current patch. Also, shamans only have a single hearth since Astral Recall points to the same location as your HS.

I'm not trolling, you just have to understand that I'm damaged this way. As far as I know the "official" version of the state of affairs in any given zone is always the one that takes place after a given quest is completed. So now if I want to see the "real" version of the world I have to do every single quest that involves phasing. It's like being in Hell.

I have played through the quests in three zones now (WPL, Blasted Lands and Searing Gorge) and as far as I can tell there isn't any notable phasing in those zones with respect to the landscape. I'll let you know after I try some other zones, but as best I can tell the phasing is quite limited and only relates to the position of NPCs. I kept seeing other players at every stage of the questing, so my impression is that in those zones the phasing is quite tight. From flying around it seems that most of the zones are already fucked up to the maximum extent, so I don't expect phasing to change the landscape much. In short, my feeling is that you'll probably be ok in the long run. Whatever final versions exist will probably involve Alliance Wounded Flower Picker #17 being in camp B rather than camp A within a zone for the most part I suspect.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4096 on: November 25, 2010, 04:24:23 AM

The continent hopping is the main thing bothering me as Alliance, especially as they removed the boat from Wetlands to Auberdine and as far as I can tell haven't replaced it. This means that the quickest non-portal route from Azeroth to either Exodar or Darnassus involves a mandatory 10 minute flight from Theramore. This really is my only major gripe with this current patch. Also, shamans only have a single hearth since Astral Recall points to the same location as your HS.

Oh right, I'd forgotten that about shaman.  It's been ages since I played mine and for some reason I thought they were two different places.  So yeah, total cluster getting to that side of Kalimdor and has been since the LK 3.0 patch.

I'm not trolling, you just have to understand that I'm damaged this way. As far as I know the "official" version of the state of affairs in any given zone is always the one that takes place after a given quest is completed. So now if I want to see the "real" version of the world I have to do every single quest that involves phasing. It's like being in Hell.

I'm now going to completely mindfuck WUA, who previously had a problem with the Azaroth - BC Detour - Northrend progression.

In Westfall, you meet Gyran Stoutmantle and a Dranei shaman who both make several references to their time in Northrend.  The kicker is you meet them at level 10.. a full 65 levels before you'll run into Gyran again in Grizzly Hills... before the first time you met him in the timeline.  swamp poop

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #4097 on: November 25, 2010, 04:27:11 AM

You reach Darkshore from Stormwind, no? The pier farthest to the left. The other goes to Northrend, the ones in Wetlands go to Northrend and Dustwallow Marsh.

Edit: Pretty sure of it actually. They made it that way to accomodate low-level Draenei and NE's who want to level in the Human/Dwarven zones, rather than forcing them nude run through Wetlands.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 04:29:13 AM by Tarami »

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #4098 on: November 25, 2010, 05:27:47 AM

Oh, is that the case? I hadn't registered that because if the portals. If that's true then that's not so bad.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4099 on: November 25, 2010, 05:29:31 AM

You reach Darkshore from Stormwind, no? The pier farthest to the left. The other goes to Northrend, the ones in Wetlands go to Northrend and Dustwallow Marsh.

Edit: Pretty sure of it actually. They made it that way to accomodate low-level Draenei and NE's who want to level in the Human/Dwarven zones, rather than forcing them nude run through Wetlands.

Crap you're right.  I had a brain fart and thought the Stormwind boat was the one going to Theramore.  swamp poop

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #4100 on: November 25, 2010, 05:36:38 AM

The portal market will die in two weeks. Right now it only exists because they yanked the portal system out, but the 80s still need to be in northrend. Come the actual expansion, the 80s will move back to the old world and fly themselves around.

There will still be a market to hop continents, unless you're able to zone across while flying or have dual hearths (Shaman, Druid, DK) so you can hop continents on your own.   It just won't be as expensive as it is right now -  2g per port on Alleria.

In a couple weeks it will be the mid-range mages who portal people around, while those in the 70+ range tell you to go fuck yourself in response to random "plz port me I giv 2g" tells.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #4101 on: November 25, 2010, 05:39:24 AM

I am REALLY not happy with either having to do a bunch of grey lowbie quests or else not see the same things as people who come up afterward. Sure you can see the people, but the scenery is different. Depending on when you leveled and what zones you did, you pretty much don't live in the same world as most other people. Between shit like this and instant dungeon/battleground queues with random people from any server in the game, why is this even a traditional sharded MMO at this point?

yeah, you need to get over this. It'll give you something interesting to do, and on an 80, the zones will be the fastest. episodes. ever.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #4102 on: November 25, 2010, 06:48:08 AM

I'm glad I made the switch to engineering a few months ago.  I tend to hop all around the world, so it has been a huge help.  I do my Shat, Dal and SW fish/cook dailies in about 30 minutes now.  Not the profession for everyone, but the ports made it worthwhile.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4103 on: November 25, 2010, 08:57:27 AM

Wow.. Eastern and Western Plagues have been nerfed to level 30 and 40 zones.  Looks like a tip to Silithus is mandatory now.  That sucketh.

Valmorian
Terracotta Army

Reply #4104 on: November 25, 2010, 09:00:49 AM

Wow.. Eastern and Western Plagues have been nerfed to level 30 and 40 zones.  Looks like a tip to Silithus is mandatory now.  That sucketh.

If I remember correctly, Blasted Lands is another option.  I'm not sure how much has changed at that level mind you, so maybe Silithus isn't as bad as it was??
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #4105 on: November 25, 2010, 09:01:45 AM

Low level no heirloom healing is D: right now. Especially with the changes to SFK and Deadmines.

Dear lord, what. It's pretty much 4 casts and OOM for any healer right now, combined with MUCH harder trash and bosses.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #4106 on: November 25, 2010, 09:11:04 AM

If I remember correctly, Blasted Lands is another option.  I'm not sure how much has changed at that level mind you, so maybe Silithus isn't as bad as it was??

50-60 (or 58) is going to be Swamp of Sorrows, Un'goro, Winterspring and Blasted Lands. No point in not going to Hellfire at 58 these days.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4107 on: November 25, 2010, 10:12:58 AM

Low level no heirloom healing is D: right now. Especially with the changes to SFK and Deadmines.

Dear lord, what. It's pretty much 4 casts and OOM for any healer right now, combined with MUCH harder trash and bosses.
If you've got a priest, Disc has no mana issues in low level dungeons assuming sensible pulls and an actual tank.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #4108 on: November 25, 2010, 11:28:36 AM

If you've got a priest, Disc has no mana issues in low level dungeons assuming sensible pulls and an actual tank.

My priest is 80 already. What I lack is a druid, but that's painful to heal with while leveling right now.

I'm tempted to use a shaman, since earth shield will help a lot with healing mana, since it's a low cost and 9 charges out of the box now.

Druids are just.. We have a HoT and swiftmend, and everything else costs a fifth of your mana bar.

edit: that said though, Rake is hilariously overpowered at low levels. The DoT tics crit for half an even con mob's health.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #4109 on: November 25, 2010, 11:37:40 AM

It's because you don't get your 'efficient' heal till like 80 as a druid. Once you get that, you can 3 stack lifebloom and spam nourish (which refreshes the stack) more or less forever and a day.

The other three healers should be fine.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #4110 on: November 25, 2010, 12:20:56 PM

It's because you don't get your 'efficient' heal till like 80 as a druid. Once you get that, you can 3 stack lifebloom and spam nourish (which refreshes the stack) more or less forever and a day.

The other three healers should be fine.

That and it looks like there's a mana regen talent that relies heavily on lifebloom at tier 3.. but you don't get lifebloom to trigger it until the 50s.

Druids just seem under tested from the leveling perspective as a healer.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #4111 on: November 25, 2010, 01:28:07 PM

They changed them like 52 times in Beta was the problem, they couldn't settle on a balance of "small/medium/large" direct heals while still keeping the Druids HoT theme.

AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #4112 on: November 26, 2010, 04:23:37 PM

Currently working my way through Silverpine ... these new quests are so much improved, it's a lot of fun.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #4113 on: November 26, 2010, 05:34:19 PM

Just did Horde Badlands and now in Searing Gorge.  Orc gives a quest in Badlands that literally had me 'loling'.  It was just so stupid and orcish and cool.
Very, very impressed with the revamp.  But I strongly urge you to sell you herbs and ore fast because the market is about to crash on them. Ore and herbs are EVERYWHERE.

I don't like the new druids or hunters.  And there is no reason to have any other class than pallys.  They can heal, tank or dps, no other class needed. 
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #4114 on: November 26, 2010, 05:58:37 PM

Druids can also Heal, Tank or DPS. They can DPS at range AND melee too.

All Druid raids inc.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #4115 on: November 26, 2010, 07:58:25 PM

Fair enough.

I didn't think they could make this game any more addictive.  I just forced myself to log off after playing almost all day.  I need a shower.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #4116 on: November 26, 2010, 08:28:09 PM

Druids can also Heal, Tank or DPS. They can DPS at range AND melee too.

All Druid raids inc.  Ohhhhh, I see.
For 25 man raids: 21 druids and 1 Shaman (for lust / totems), 1 mage (for AI), 1 Priest (for Fort / removing the one debuff druids cant dispell) and 1 paladin (for Might / Auras).  Pretty much all bases covered.  And with dual spec, your druids can easily swap between mele / range / tank / heal in pairs or something to account for various changes in raid requirements.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 08:34:02 PM by SurfD »

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #4117 on: November 26, 2010, 08:52:36 PM

In Westfall, you meet Gyran Stoutmantle and a Dranei shaman who both make several references to their time in Northrend.  The kicker is you meet them at level 10.. a full 65 levels before you'll run into Gyran again in Grizzly Hills... before the first time you met him in the timeline.  swamp poop

Lazy pricks could have at least made the new passage to Northrend a time portal instead of a boat.

Oh, thank you to those who actually bothered to post in order to soothe my phasing/world/lore psychosis.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 09:04:02 PM by WindupAtheist »

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #4118 on: November 27, 2010, 01:10:12 AM

I was too busy having the Banshee Queen confirm everything I ever said about the Forsaken. Lordaeron for the (undead) Lordaeranians! Death (and then undeath) for the southern invaders!  awesome, for real

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #4119 on: November 27, 2010, 01:47:46 AM

I was too busy having the Banshee Queen confirm everything I ever said about the Forsaken. Lordaeron for the (undead) Lordaeranians! Death (and then undeath) for the southern invaders!  awesome, for real

Have they kept that quest in Darkshire where the Forsaken poison an orc who's about to spill the beans? Or should I just stick the line that the Forsaken are misunderstood just to get WUA into one of his rants again?

I'm liking the way things are working out with Garrosh; he's done a bang up job with Orgrimmar (Deathwing destroys the city, the Horde mobilizes and rebuilds it bigger, better and badder in a day or two - compared to Stormwind where the humans are standing around saying "Can you smell something burning?") and he's marginalized Vol'jin, is partly responsible for Cairne's death and seems to be on the point of kicking Sylvie out of the Horde. Halcyon days!

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4120 on: November 27, 2010, 05:46:11 AM

I didn't think they could make this game any more addictive.  I just forced myself to log off after playing almost all day.  I need a shower.

Make sure you change the kitty litter, too, lest your house begin to smell.

Have they kept that quest in Darkshire where the Forsaken poison an orc who's about to spill the beans? Or should I just stick the line that the Forsaken are misunderstood just to get WUA into one of his rants again?

The orcs are coming 'round to WUA's point of view, it would seem, so I wouldn't try throwing that line out too much longer.  There was a big "Save Sylvanis" thread in the forums a few days ago.  Apparently Garrosh has said something about killing her, too, since she's a dangerous mustache-twirling villain/ psychopath.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #4121 on: November 27, 2010, 05:56:59 AM

The orcs are coming 'round to WUA's point of view, it would seem, so I wouldn't try throwing that line out too much longer.  There was a big "Save Sylvanis" thread in the forums a few days ago.  Apparently Garrosh has said something about killing her, too, since she's a dangerous mustache-twirling villain/ psychopath.

I always love Sylvanas. Absolutely love her new skin - less Nelfy and more dark ranger. Just did the quest line last night in Silverpine and I really liked the way they put her in the story in the area. That said, what the hell happened to her voice. Seems robotic or the words seem cobbled together. The story arc in Silverpine however was  DRILLING AND MANLINESS - even got to hear Garrosh call Sylvy a bitch.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #4122 on: November 27, 2010, 08:41:40 AM

I really like how some (all?) of the zones are organized now.  I went into Searing Gorge and went through an entire quest chain of 35 quests, a re-occurring NPC, nice gear upgrades, an achievement and a blue item reward for killing the zone boss.  There was also more mithril than you can shake a stick at and when I was done they sent me to the next zone.  Bam.  Done.  Rinse and repeat.  It was like the zone was one big instance. 

The amount of work they put into this 'expansion' is impressive.  This is WoW 2.0.

I'm a bit worried the xp is so fast I'll zoom past some dungeons.  But I guess I need to plan ahead for that.  And the loads of ore and herbs kind of bother me, but if they become cheap on the AH, maybe the market will be in crafted items instead of the mats. 

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #4123 on: November 27, 2010, 08:44:08 AM

There was also more mithril than you can shake a stick at and when I was done they sent me to the next zone.
This is true.  A friend was there messing around and I said "hey, pick me up some mithril as I need 200 to get to thorium on smithing" and he said "ok" and within 50 minutes had 220 ore for me.  We weren't sure if they upped the rates of spawn or if it was because none of the Chinese farmers were there, but either way we like how much there is now.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #4124 on: November 27, 2010, 08:54:33 AM

Thorium is the same way, at least in Swamp of Sorrows where I bothered to mine some.  I threw a few stacks on the AH, figuring the price will fall through the floor once people realize there's so much laying around.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4125 on: November 27, 2010, 09:43:43 AM

I'm wondering how much of it is just folks not farming it right now because they're waiting on Cata to level their new worgen and goblins.  We'll see in a week, I suppose.   I don't expect the ridiculous price spikes that we had during BC, though.

Another nifty thing is the gnomecoder for quests.  No more running back to the NPC to pick up the next phase, they 'call' you and give you the next part in the chain kills.  Too bad this will make the BC and WOTLK content look like crap as you're leveling new alts. (Nesingwary quests in particular)

For the Alliance folks, you'll see that Donna is finally getting her revenge on William, too.

Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #4126 on: November 27, 2010, 10:49:09 AM

I haven't noticed herbs (aside from Felweed) being more plentiful...  But since 4.0, I've been astonished as to how much XP you get for gathering herbs.  And then it seemed to take a jump again with 4.0.3.  I swear that my Druid is almost leveling faster from that than killing mobs!  2000-ish per gather vs. 1300 per kill.

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4127 on: November 27, 2010, 11:12:47 AM

I gained 50k+ XP from a single round of PvP in Arathi Basin at lvl 53. That's crazy!

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4128 on: November 27, 2010, 12:37:02 PM

I haven't noticed herbs (aside from Felweed) being more plentiful...  But since 4.0, I've been astonished as to how much XP you get for gathering herbs.  And then it seemed to take a jump again with 4.0.3.  I swear that my Druid is almost leveling faster from that than killing mobs!  2000-ish per gather vs. 1300 per kill.

Wait a tic.. how did I miss experience from herbalisim.. is it the same for mining? Hrm.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #4129 on: November 27, 2010, 12:56:33 PM

yeah, they added exp to mining and herbalism.  Skinning got jewed out, because appearently getting exp from killing the mob you need to skin is enough.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 236 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Cataclysm  
Jump to: