Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 06:12:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Cataclysm 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 236 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cataclysm  (Read 1264735 times)
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2940 on: September 20, 2010, 11:18:00 AM

Dammit!  Shaking fist

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2941 on: September 20, 2010, 11:22:49 AM

Not really up on the DK tank Rotations for Cata, but don't DK tanks require a target that hits back to proc a lot of their "anti-rune-starvation" abilities?
Yes, Rune Strike requires you either parry or dodge an attack.  It's one of those things I *always* hit when it's up as it generates pretty decent threat and occupies time waiting for runes to come back.
Rune Strike is the only reactive ability I can think of off-hand, and that just uses rune power.  (Amazing how fast one forgets.)  My anti-starvation was making sure I had several of the X Rune becomes Death Rune upon refresh abilities.  Once I was through my first rotation, I either had enough rune power or runes off cool down that I could do something.

I do believe I expressed concern about the new rune mechanics though.  For some builds it might not be a problem, but the way it was described it would have completely messed up my Blood Tank.  I wouldn't be surprised if that is causing problems, too.

Rune Strike under the new system does sort of count as anti-starvation, because it is a GCD where you're pressing RS instead of a rune-using ability, giving them longer to come back or whatever.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #2942 on: September 20, 2010, 02:23:48 PM

Motherfucking scorpion mount!

DO WANT

Seriously, this is the sort of stuff that makes me want to switch factions. The extent to which this is better than some wank lion is hard to express.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #2943 on: September 20, 2010, 02:26:44 PM

wat

The lion blows that thing away, you are craaaaazy.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #2944 on: September 20, 2010, 02:31:22 PM

I'm horde, love playing it and hate alliance and I still think the lion is better. I mean I like giant scorpions and all but seriously it just doesn't compete.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2945 on: September 20, 2010, 02:31:56 PM

Lions are cool, but I already have a tiger. I have nothing remotely resembling a scorpion, so I say "Horde, Fuck yea!"

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #2946 on: September 20, 2010, 02:55:30 PM

You have nothing resembling a scorpion because riding something resembling a scorpion is fucking stupid.

EDIT: I suppose there is a single exception to that rule: When you are a baby scorpion.

God Save the Horn Players
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #2947 on: September 20, 2010, 02:56:14 PM

Just don't lean back in the seat and you'll be fine.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2948 on: September 20, 2010, 03:01:08 PM

wat

The lion blows that thing away, you are craaaaazy.

Seriously, that thing doesn't even have a saddle so it's just basically jumping on top of the things you've been killing since level 20.

I am the .00000001428%
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #2949 on: September 20, 2010, 03:12:19 PM

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE

It's a motherfucking scorpion!  awesome, for real

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2950 on: September 20, 2010, 03:18:34 PM

It is also pretty stupid looking as far as "things someone would possibly ride around on".

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #2951 on: September 20, 2010, 03:18:56 PM

I don't think they're done with the scorpion.  As is, I'd still take it over the lion.  If the lion didn't have a dumb mask, it might be a closer call.

Nothing some bubble wrap and tape can't take care of.

-Rasix
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2952 on: September 20, 2010, 03:34:41 PM

Not really up on the DK tank Rotations for Cata, but don't DK tanks require a target that hits back to proc a lot of their "anti-rune-starvation" abilities?
Yes, Rune Strike requires you either parry or dodge an attack.  It's one of those things I *always* hit when it's up as it generates pretty decent threat and occupies time waiting for runes to come back.
Rune Strike is the only reactive ability I can think of off-hand, and that just uses rune power.  (Amazing how fast one forgets.)  My anti-starvation was making sure I had several of the X Rune becomes Death Rune upon refresh abilities.  Once I was through my first rotation, I either had enough rune power or runes off cool down that I could do something.

I do believe I expressed concern about the new rune mechanics though.  For some builds it might not be a problem, but the way it was described it would have completely messed up my Blood Tank.  I wouldn't be surprised if that is causing problems, too.

Rune Strike under the new system does sort of count as anti-starvation, because it is a GCD where you're pressing RS instead of a rune-using ability, giving them longer to come back or whatever.

Yes, Rune Strike is the only reactive tanking ability and requieres a dodge or parry to activate so as a tank it's nearlyalways up (and costs 20runic power).  However, it's a single-target ability and they previously stated they expect pestilence>blood boil to be the way blood tanks hold aggro on more than one target.  The current rune mechanics, however, disagree with what they said.

Since runes refresh one-then another you're constantly cycling only 3 runes after the initial combat.  They expect DK tanks to be spamming Death Strike often, for self-healing.. so that's two runes being used all the time as soon as they refresh.  That leaves One blood rune to cast: Bone shield, Pestilence, Blood Plague, Strangulate and Rune Tap (Granted, you should be using a BT>RT Macro for the last.)

That's a problem.

Runic Empowerment is supposed to "fix" this, but it's a 45% chance to refresh a random rune back to it's original state.  So that's only a 15% chance, per rune strike (Which is also a random based on d/p) of having a rune you need activate. Things start to look grim.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #2953 on: September 20, 2010, 03:55:51 PM

I don't think they're done with the scorpion.  As is, I'd still take it over the lion.  If the lion didn't have a dumb mask, it might be a closer call.

Real Horde endure the pain. DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Hell, one of the newbie recipes in Durotar is "gather scorpid tails, bake, try not to bite down on the poison sac"

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #2954 on: September 20, 2010, 04:59:07 PM

That's a problem.
We'll see when it goes live.  They have monkeyed with so many classes over the years we always have to re-learn them and end up excelling at one thing or another.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #2955 on: September 20, 2010, 05:15:24 PM

Real Horde endure the pain. DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Hell, one of the newbie recipes in Durotar is "gather scorpid tails, bake, try not to bite down on the poison sac"
That's not a new recepie, Scorpid Surprise has been in the game since vanilla if i remember correctly.

My only question about the horde mount is : where is the seat / armor / guild tabard thingie?

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2956 on: September 20, 2010, 05:23:39 PM

newbie != new

I assume the scorpion mount isn't finished yet, much like they posted the lion mount without all its armor and such first.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #2957 on: September 20, 2010, 06:01:55 PM

It is also pretty stupid looking as far as "things someone would possibly ride around on".

That's what I'm sayin'!

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #2958 on: September 21, 2010, 04:24:23 AM

Can't stand the scorpion mount.  I'd rather swap factions to Ally for the lion than ride that thing and that ain't never gonna happen in this lifetime.

The Sandstone Drake alchemy "mount", on the other hand, would make me retrain in Alchemy. Turn into a dragon and be able to carry someone else? Yes please!  Maybe this will mean that Druids will become mountable too?  awesome, for real

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2959 on: September 21, 2010, 04:56:56 AM

Can't stand the scorpion mount.  I'd rather swap factions to Ally for the lion than ride that thing and that ain't never gonna happen in this lifetime.

The Sandstone Drake alchemy "mount", on the other hand, would make me retrain in Alchemy. Turn into a dragon and be able to carry someone else? Yes please!  Maybe this will mean that Druids will become mountable too?  awesome, for real

They already are on certain RP servers. awesome, for real ACK!
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #2960 on: September 21, 2010, 05:08:09 AM

They already are on certain RP servers. awesome, for real ACK!
Beat me to it.  awesome, for real

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #2961 on: September 21, 2010, 05:37:26 AM

Speaking of, there's quite a few people on the various fansites complaining about the new-look female worgen. Seems that Blizzard's idea of worgen being barely-constrained snarling animals a hairs-breadth away from snapping and ripping out someone's jugular with their teeth doesn't fit with their RP plans.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #2962 on: September 21, 2010, 06:12:32 AM

You're all crazy, nothing says "BadAssMoFO!" more than riding up on a GIANT scorpion.

Fricken Sigfried and Roy have ridden lions.  Have they ridden giant scorpions?  NO, no they haven't.

Too bad I play alliance.
Shrike
Terracotta Army

Reply #2963 on: September 21, 2010, 09:30:25 AM

Speaking of, there's quite a few people on the various fansites complaining about the new-look female worgen. Seems that Blizzard's idea of worgen being barely-constrained snarling animals a hairs-breadth away from snapping and ripping out someone's jugular with their teeth doesn't fit with their RP plans.

Screw them. It fits in with mine just fine. Such as they are. Which ain't much. Nevertheless, it fits my mental image to a fare-thee-well.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #2964 on: September 21, 2010, 01:54:25 PM

Can't stand the scorpion mount.  I'd rather swap factions to Ally for the lion than ride that thing and that ain't never gonna happen in this lifetime.

The Sandstone Drake alchemy "mount", on the other hand, would make me retrain in Alchemy. Turn into a dragon and be able to carry someone else? Yes please!  Maybe this will mean that Druids will become mountable too?  awesome, for real
I am almost positive someone posted a datamined link of a "passenger mount" raven form type ability, which indicates that said form may indeed be a possibility for druids.

Edit: Nope, my mistake.  Not a Raven form, but http://db.mmo-champion.com/i/57859/essence-of-the-underworld-nyi/ (Transform yourself into a Twilight Pheonix, allowing you to carry a passenger), so probably not a passenger druid form, but we can always hope.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 02:01:20 PM by SurfD »

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #2965 on: September 21, 2010, 02:48:22 PM

You're all crazy, nothing says "BadAssMoFO!" more than riding up on a GIANT scorpion.

Go watch the new Clash of the Titans and then come back and say that without wincing.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #2966 on: September 21, 2010, 02:52:02 PM

Go watch the new Clash of the Titans and then come back and say that without wincing.

That movie never happened.  Harry Hamlin or GTFO.

-Rasix
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #2967 on: September 21, 2010, 03:33:35 PM

The thing with the new lady worgen's head is her eyes are a little too ... TOO. I mean, maybe she's supposed to be a wide-eyed crazypants, but instead it just looks like she just had too much coffee.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #2968 on: September 23, 2010, 01:36:42 AM

Spoilers for the big pre-Cataclysm event.

Compared to the pre-WOTLK stuff this sounds boring as shit. Loot is a bunch of gear you'll be throwing away for quest greens a week later anyway. No sign so far of any tabards/mounts/anything you might still want to own by December. The zombie invasion was the best thing they ever did, this is more like "Well I don't need any new ilvl 251 PVE gear a week before Cataclysm and I'll probably be in Dalaran anyway, guess I'll forget this exists."
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 01:40:15 AM by WindupAtheist »

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #2969 on: September 23, 2010, 02:08:58 AM

Sounds more like the skelly-dragon invasion part of the pre-WoTLK event when Thrall and Garrosh were waving handbags at each other.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #2970 on: September 23, 2010, 02:11:33 AM

Pre-WotLK event had throwaway gear too.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #2971 on: September 23, 2010, 02:19:58 AM

Looks like the event gear is itemised for Cataclysm and not the current game too.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #2972 on: September 23, 2010, 03:15:55 AM

Looks like the event gear is itemised for Cataclysm and not the current game too.
Would make sense, since that will probably go live along with the pre-cata balance pass patch where they re do all the talent trees and stuff

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #2973 on: September 23, 2010, 03:33:58 AM

Yeah, I guess so, although I saw one of the pieces had expertise and i thought that was one of the stats that was being dropped from the game. I may be wrong though.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #2974 on: September 23, 2010, 10:01:51 AM

Pre-WotLK event had throwaway gear too.

Yeah but they also turned on the old-style Scourge invasion event too, and I got a tabard and novelty trinket out of the deal that I still have. Plus I got to fight zombies and turn into a zombie and so on. This shit is about as exciting as when they used to spawn monsters in town in UO for a month.

Also, lore nerd alert, but what the hell is up with the Scourge in Cataclysm? Sylvanas is recruiting Valkyr, Araj the Summoner is leading a Scourge remnant force in the plaguelands, what the fuck happened to Bolvar and his magic hat keeping them in line? Can't they go one update cycle without contradicting themselves? I'm all for lore retcons where they benefit gameplay, but it should really take more than a couple months for you to need one. This is embarassingly bad writing, even for WoW.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 10:04:32 AM by WindupAtheist »

Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 236 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Cataclysm  
Jump to: