Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 11:43:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Cataclysm 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 236 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cataclysm  (Read 1265169 times)
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #2730 on: August 30, 2010, 08:44:55 AM

I like the vehicles in Wintergrasp, Isle and Strand (BGs.)  Those seem well done and fun.

Leave them out of instances, raids, and dailies.  One time occurences in quests as you level up is fine.  Even as a daily though, I'll feel like I need to do it for the rep or money and it will become annoying over time.  I have the same problem with flight paths.  I'm tired of taking one over and over that circles around the town you fly from almost two times before actually heading to the destination.  That was cool once and only once!

As a side note, I was at BBuy this weekend and saw the box for Lich King.  I noticed they had flying vehicles in the Wintergrasp setting.  I seemed to vaguely remember they had planned that.  Am I right and they cut it out at the last moment before they changed the artwork on the boxes on the shelves?

They look like the gnome/goblin helicopters.  I'm guessing you would do bombing runs with them?  That sounds kind of fun too, but probably harder than hell to balance.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #2731 on: August 30, 2010, 09:02:00 AM

There are dailies in icecrown that have you do bombing runs in a variety of aerial vehicles.  Off hand, I remember at least three.  One starts on the ground, the others start on that hidden gnome town high in the air (has at least two, but I think there are more)
WoopeeTuralyon
Terracotta Army

Reply #2732 on: August 30, 2010, 12:39:48 PM

It's just a bit too hard for some people to learn those couple new buttons along with the z-axis. But yeah, the ToC jousting was shit.

It's not a matter of difficulty, it's a matter of not fun. Also, I like playing my actual character.

Maybe not for you, but for the average pug... too much to handle.
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #2733 on: August 31, 2010, 06:33:59 AM

There are dailies in icecrown that have you do bombing runs in a variety of aerial vehicles.  Off hand, I remember at least three.  One starts on the ground, the others start on that hidden gnome town high in the air (has at least two, but I think there are more)

Yeah, I know about several dailies that use aerials, but this picture showed the buildings in Wintergrasp in the background.  I seem to remember them trying to have them there in early Beta maybe?  They took them out due to having trouble balancing things I think.  Hard to remember now. 

I'm thinking that would be a blast to use the planes OR be a gunner on the walls trying to shoot them down.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #2734 on: August 31, 2010, 06:51:41 AM

I believe planes were tested, but they were removed because of lag issues for the most part. Also, I think they had a nasty habit of simply DCing people when lag got really bad, and then dropping them to their doom.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #2735 on: August 31, 2010, 06:54:35 AM

I'm thinking that would be a blast to use the planes OR be a gunner on the walls trying to shoot them down.

I do vaguely remember that was the plan, but something did not work with them.

Planes would argue for the placement of the guns.  Some of them really don't make sense for their placement.

Though Isle has similar placement problems with the cannons, so that's probably a design feature rather than a holdover from an older iteration.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #2736 on: August 31, 2010, 08:05:10 AM

Yeah, I know about several dailies that use aerials, but this picture showed the buildings in Wintergrasp in the background.  I seem to remember them trying to have them there in early Beta maybe?  They took them out due to having trouble balancing things I think.  Hard to remember now. 

Sorry, you definitely typed "Wintergrasp" but my feeble reading skills said "Icecrown".

Agree, that does sound like fun.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #2737 on: August 31, 2010, 11:38:44 AM

The absolute worst vehicle combat quest experience was on my hunter.  It's the one where you jump from wyvern to wyvern killing blue people, and you have to kill 7 of them.  Using melee.  Without a pet.  And of course I hadn't bothered to level my melee weapon because, you know, HUNTER.   On the other hand, I thought this was the best quest ever when I did it on my paladin.

I think my poor daughter never finished that quest on her hunter.

Edit:  Just a quick edit to point out that this quest isn't exactly avoidable, since it's part of a chain that is a pre-req to do an honor grind with a faction that is pretty much required in order to raid.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 11:41:43 AM by Soulflame »
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #2738 on: August 31, 2010, 12:04:31 PM

But the problem with that was the whole archaic weaponskill stat that Blizzard is ditching in Cataclysm, not the quest itself.

Over and out.
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #2739 on: August 31, 2010, 12:09:12 PM

But the problem with that was the whole archaic weaponskill stat that Blizzard is ditching in Cataclysm, not the quest itself.

True, but it was still painful for my hunter even at max weapon skill.  It took forever as Marksmanship spec.  Love the quest on every other class (yes, I've done them all.)
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #2740 on: August 31, 2010, 04:18:58 PM

I didn't find it to be a problem on mine, she also had a decent weapon skill. Survival spec though. Survival is awesome at everything.  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

God Save the Horn Players
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2741 on: August 31, 2010, 08:33:24 PM

It wasn't real fun as a Moonkin, since I had to be in Elf form to ride the drake.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #2742 on: August 31, 2010, 09:41:28 PM

Eh, melee, moonfire, insect swarm, wrath once or twice and they die

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2743 on: August 31, 2010, 10:00:45 PM

The dots are a waste of time, spam wrath, next.  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #2744 on: August 31, 2010, 10:06:05 PM

It wasn't real fun as a Moonkin, since I had to be in Elf form to ride the drake.

I managed it with my elf form feral druid without it being a blip on my annoyance radar, so I can't imagine it was that much worse as a moonkin.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

EDIT: I could SWEAR on at least one of my characters it had some sort of fail defense though, I got some message about my unconventional (read: shitty) fighting style threw my opponent off balance, knocking them off the drake. Maybe it was on Jassan!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 10:12:58 PM by Sjofn »

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #2745 on: September 01, 2010, 12:36:28 AM

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2746 on: September 01, 2010, 01:14:00 AM

It makes my head hurt that the Blood Elves and Draenei are going to hear that speech, then get dropped into their chronologically displaced starter zones.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #2747 on: September 01, 2010, 01:24:07 AM

Aren't their starter zones in... you know... the world that's getting revamped?

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #2748 on: September 01, 2010, 04:59:28 AM

As far as I know they've done fuck all to those two starter zones, and that's the way it's going to stay.

EDIT: Even if they DO revamp those zones, which I don't think they plan to, Outlands is still a giant WTF now. And it was already pretty wtf for the Alliance.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 05:10:11 AM by Sjofn »

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2749 on: September 01, 2010, 01:17:02 PM

Yeah the TBC content isn't being touched last I heard.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2750 on: September 01, 2010, 02:37:16 PM

The Draenei and BE zones have some new Flight Points, that's about it.

Maybe one or two quests have different dialogue, I only did 1-10 quickly to take a gander.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #2751 on: September 01, 2010, 02:44:44 PM

Really the BE starter zone could be half assed with mostly new quest text, but the draenei one is a lot more specific.

The Forsaken intro made me laugh, it's a lot more defensive than the current one.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #2752 on: September 03, 2010, 02:09:15 PM

I've come up with the solution to stupid-ass vehicle quests. Skip the vehicle, run down there and cockpunch that three-hundred foot tall 80 elite the old-fashioned way.

The ground slams were worth a good 18k damage, but you can run under him to avoid them. The normal attacks were nothing special. I wish I remembered to swap out of crusader aura, but with 300k health my ret aura wasn't going to make much difference anyway.

BUT I JUST DUN LIKE VEHICULS CUZ ITS TOO HARD. HUR HUR.

caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #2753 on: September 03, 2010, 02:35:22 PM

Any class with self-heals at 80 is able to do that quest that way.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #2754 on: September 03, 2010, 02:42:05 PM

I want self-heals. Potions, trinkets, and bandages do jack and shit.

At least I can heal my pet. Although I'm still confused about autocasting pet skills and the pet bar. I can't ever figure out why we have limited pet bar room, but can click things to autocast for pets out of the spell book.
WoopeeTuralyon
Terracotta Army

Reply #2755 on: September 03, 2010, 02:58:11 PM

A hunter being able to heal at all makes no sense. Accept your non-class-ability means of doing so  Ohhhhh, I see.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #2756 on: September 03, 2010, 03:26:07 PM

I'm sure. Once you figure out that him about to smash the ground in front of him means you should avoid being in front of him, it's easy. And I'll grind down a million elites by hand before I sit around going "hur hur what abilities does this giant worm have" or whatever ever again.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2757 on: September 03, 2010, 04:07:08 PM

I want self-heals. Potions, trinkets, and bandages do jack and shit.

At least I can heal my pet. Although I'm still confused about autocasting pet skills and the pet bar. I can't ever figure out why we have limited pet bar room, but can click things to autocast for pets out of the spell book.

Originally you couldn't use anything in the spell book, only what was on the pet bar.  Apparently coding the UI to work or display differently would be some Herculean task not worth the effort.  Much like adding more pet slots (only 3 and no more!) or the ability to swap pets without having to go to a city was for years.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2758 on: September 03, 2010, 04:22:20 PM

I've come up with the solution to stupid-ass vehicle quests. Skip the vehicle, run down there and cockpunch that three-hundred foot tall 80 elite the old-fashioned way.

The ground slams were worth a good 18k damage, but you can run under him to avoid them. The normal attacks were nothing special. I wish I remembered to swap out of crusader aura, but with 300k health my ret aura wasn't going to make much difference anyway.

BUT I JUST DUN LIKE VEHICULS CUZ ITS TOO HARD. HUR HUR.

Why Seal of Wisdom and Judgment of Justice you baddie?

why so serious?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 04:24:20 PM by Sheepherder »
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #2759 on: September 03, 2010, 04:31:32 PM

Hey man, if that thing turned to flee it could have trampled innocent civilians!
WoopeeTuralyon
Terracotta Army

Reply #2760 on: September 03, 2010, 04:54:47 PM

The absurdity of fighting a COLOSSUS as a little human. Not just a colossus, but a metal one. You are not Kratos. Seriously, what can you do to it? Hack its colossal toe? I hear if you hack a giant being's iron toe enough it falls over dead.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2761 on: September 03, 2010, 05:07:48 PM

But fighting a giant dragon with 10-40 tiny humans makes sense? Hell, metal colossi make sense?  swamp poop

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
WoopeeTuralyon
Terracotta Army

Reply #2762 on: September 03, 2010, 05:21:12 PM

At least a dragon is flesh... and I think 40 humans could overwhelm one dragon, it just wouldn't be a long fight with no human death. The first few in the charge would get munched  awesome, for real

There would be no *slice her face 1000 times, she flies, she lands, slice her more, she dies* though. But if combat was realistic it wouldn't be very fun, right?? LK would be hacked to pieces rather quickly, and an iron colossus would be almost unstoppable, stepping on anyone in its path!
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2763 on: September 03, 2010, 05:25:41 PM

You are assuming the Dragon would ever bother to even land!

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #2764 on: September 03, 2010, 06:09:07 PM

Why Seal of Wisdom and Judgment of Justice you baddie?

why so serious?

Eh. If someone had told me that I could avoid the smash every single time and that it didn't have any other tricks it could do, I'd have gone with something else. As it was, I ate a smash early on, burned up my whole mana bar healing, and figured I may as well play it safe. JoJ is just on there because I'm so used to mashing it in PVP that I hit it before I realize what I'm doing.

Really I ran in expecting to get smushed by some sort of cheap "No this is a VEHICLE quest assbutt, go get on your vehicle!" one-shot attack anyway. It was pretty fun though, especially after all the quests hyping it up as an invincible army-crushing weapon of doom.

Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 236 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Cataclysm  
Jump to: